brewer time

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

bbqjones
indian black betty

brewer time

Post by bbqjones »

looks like the crew is on pace for a 162 undefeated season.

sucks for itsanididntgetthelinkias

bwah
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
bbqjones
indian black betty

Re: brewer time

Post by bbqjones »

~bump~

only 130 wins this year.

oh well.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'd love that deal for the Brewers if they were actually going to be able to keep Sabathia after this year but many believe both he and Sheets are goners. I actually like the Cubs deal for Harden a little more because they had some more established pitching at the front end of their rotation already.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

It's still a good deal since they didn't completely gut their farm system. If Sabathia performs and they make noise in the post-season, he's a good rental. Yeah Sheets is probably gonzo, too. Harden might be bit fragile. If he hits the DL within the next two weeks, I'll laugh.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Cubs gave up guys they've at least had a chance to evaluate on the major league level. Murton spent quite a bit of time up with the club for a couple years but couldn't really stick. Patterson showed some flashes earlier and could end being a solid player. Gallagher was in their rotation for a little while...I think I heard that he'll get a start with the A's coming up. I'm sure CubFan kind of fears seeing Harden break down after seeing happened with Prior and Wood to a lesser extent.

Milwaukee has one of the best minor league systems in baseball. When you consider most of their current lineup were all guys they've developed...it's a tribute to their scouting and minor league system. They're a middle to small market team like the Indians but they do deserve some credit for taking the chance with moving a top prospect like LaPorta and others to get a top line start like Sabathia that makes them a legitimate contender to win the NL pennant. It should be a great three team race at the top of the NL Central.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

harden is still injured, i wouldnt doubt if the 2nd pitcher in that deal helps the cubs more down the stretch, either as a spot starter or in the pen!

beane continues to deal damaged goods, and teams pay a kings ransom for these players!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I don't think the Cubs sold out to get Harden and Gaudin...the four guys they traded aren't premium prospects. The ESPN baseball pundits pointed out that the A's have some prime arms in the minors right now and will probably be up with the team next year. It was a good move from the standpoint that they freed up a rotation spot for one of those kids. I'd imagine Beane will try to unload Blanton as well.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

The Cubs had to make this trade, but I would disagree with Shoalzie on the Cubs giving up players they've had a chance to evaluate on the major league level. E-Patt is a guy that never really got a fair shot in Chicago. I think he's got some potential. I know people like to lump him as the same type of hitter as his brother but he's not. He's got a lot better plate discipline and the A's might really have something with him.

Gallagher has made 10-12 starts in the bigs but I don't think he's been given enough opportunity to showcase his skills. He's a guy that has the potential to be a very solid #3 starter in this league.

Murton.....yeah, who cares about him. He's a AAAA player. He'll hit .280 but with very few extra base hits, RBI's, and stolen bases. But on top of that he's a terrible fielder.

As long as Harden stays healthy, this trade should benefit both teams but I don't think the A's are getting ripped off like a lot of the national pundits seem to believe. I know they're only 5 back of Anaheim, but come on......there's no way they were going to catch them and with Harden's injury history a team like the A's can't afford to keep a player like that around. If they're gonna pay a guy a lot of money, he needs to stay healthy. Just ask the Royals how their $50 million contract with Mike Sweeney worked out!
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Goober McTuber wrote:It's still a good deal since they didn't completely gut their farm system. If Sabathia performs and they make noise in the post-season, he's a good rental. Yeah Sheets is probably gonzo, too. Harden might be bit fragile. If he hits the DL within the next two weeks, I'll laugh.
i read somewhere that the brewers will get two draft picks each for both sabathia and sheets if they sign on elsewhere. considering their skill at evaluating prospects, this was a great trade even if they don't make the playoffs.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I know they'll get a sandwich pick for Sheets, but not sure if that's true on CC.

I don't know if I'd agree about Milwaukee's skill at evaluating prospects. I think it just comes down to some teams are luckier than others in the draft. It's really a crapshoot. You have a group of guys that are very talented and it just comes down to who makes the most of it and some organizations get luckier than others in terms of those players making the most of their talent. It's just so happened that the Brewers have had a recent run of prospects panning out. Guys like Fielder and Braun came up through their system and became immediate impact players. But when you draft a guy you just can't possibly know if they'll be able to make it mentally because they're so young and unlike other sports baseball is as much a mental game as it is physical. Obviously there are guys you can probably assume won't make it, but there isn't a single 18 year old kid alive that you just know will be able to make it mentally once they've reached the bigs.

If it was more than just luck, more first and second round picks would pan out than do. In any given year if 4 of the 30 1st rounders ever become impact players, it could be looked at as a good draft. And I've researched 1st and 2nd round picks for every organization and there's not one single organization that hits on more than 25% of their 1st and 2nd rounders over the last 10 years or so. What does that tell me? It's mostly just luck. That's really the only logical explanation for it.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

they will get sandwich picks for both

used to be a 1st and a 2nd. now i believe its a 1st and 3rd. the last contract, the owners and players association changed the awards for free agency losses.

sandwich picks are picks after each round. when last pick is made in first round, the 1st round sandwich picks make their selections, then the 2nd round of draft starts, etc. (FYI)
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

'sup felice?

i have billy hall rookie cards as well.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

bbqjones wrote:'sup felice?
this sucks beyond recognition. although we just wept a four game series from the padres, I feel like my team is in last place. bullpen gives up games and then sabathia kills us. I feel like brewers fans have for the past 25 years.

we do okay against sheets, so I'm not afraid of a sweep, although it could very well come.
why is my neighborhood on fire
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

ouch. the way the crew won those games must hurt as much as it did when gorman thomas struck out in the 9th when i was a little boy in 1982. fun to watch this team.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

cough cough

rack my ryan braun baseball cards

im a dork happy
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

That had to hurt. 4 game sweep by the Phillies including a doubleheader.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Seeing Zambrano throw a no-no in their yard didn't help matters either...
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Sinking ship-
Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - The Milwaukee Brewers have fired manager Ned Yost and named Dale Sveum interim manager for the final two weeks of the season.

The Brewers are 83-67 and tied for the top spot in the National League wild card race with Philadelphia. The Phillies, though, just completed a four-game sweep of the Brewers.

Milwaukee, just 3-11 in September, is also 7 1/2 games behind Chicago in the NL Central race.

"This was a very difficult move to make," said Brewers general manager Doug Melvin. "We appreciate all of the work that Ned has done to develop this team into a contender. In the end, this was a collaborative decision made to put our club in the best position for the final two weeks of the season."

Bench coach Ted Simmons has also been reassigned to an advisory role.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

It works for the New Jersey Devils...
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Shoalzie wrote:It works for the New Jersey Devils...

Hockey doesn't start till the playoffs anyway and practically everyone makes the playoffs.. baseball is a bit different.