Rate your team's draft

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Rate your team's draft

Post by poptart »

Yep, we'll see that obligatory thread put up 24-48 hrs after the draft.
And most of us, being the ball-sucking homers that we are, will jizz all over ourselves fantasizing that each of our team's selections is destined for a date with Canton.
We'll occassionally lob a fire-bomb or two if we see something blatantly idi0tic done by our braintrust, but we'll generally we like to imagine that our team somehow just got over.

But none of us really know dick, except Dinsdale, and especially just hours after the draft has concluded.
You've got to give it a few years -- say five years.

So in that spirit, rate your team's 2003 draft.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... aft/teams/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1545469" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1545468" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oakland
1 31(31) Nnamdi Asomugha S California
1 32(32) Tyler Brayton DE Colorado
2 31(63) Teyo Johnson* WR Stanford
3 19(83) Sam Williams OLB Fresno St.
3 32(96) Justin Fargas HB Southern Cal
4 32(129) Shurron Pierson* OLB South Florida
5 32(167) Doug Gabriel WR UCF
6 31(204) Dustin Rykert OT BYU
7 32(246) Siddeeq Shabazz S New Mex. St.
7 48(262) Ryan Hoag WR Gustavus Adolph
*Underclassman

Lenny P. gave Oakland a C- right after this draft.
5 years later, I think that's fairly accurate.
Props to the fat guy.

Asomugha has blossomed into one of the finest corners in the league -- strong pick as a late 1st rounder.
Brayton has been a starter, but hasn't lived up to expectations for a 1st rounder.
Johnson was a waste in the 2nd.
S. Williams has had injury trouble, but he's been ... alright ... when on the field.
Fargas finally showed something last year.
Pierson was a nothing.
Gabriel was not much better.
Rykert? Who?
Siddeeq Shabazz -- will make it onto the Obama cabinet.
Hoag? Nothing.

C-
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Re: Rate your team's draft

Post by Headhunter »

1 5(5) Terence Newman CB Kansas St.
2 6(38) Al Johnson C Wisconsin
3 5(69) Jason Witten* TE Tennessee
4 6(103) Bradie James OLB LSU
6 5(178) B.J. Tucker CB Wisconsin
6 13(186) Zuriel Smith WR Hampton
7 5(219) Justin Bates OT Colorado

A+

T. Newman is an elite corner
Witten an Elite Tight End
Bradie James put in what should have been a pro-bowl year last year.
Al johnson was serviceable until they got Gurode who is just way better.

3 Pro bowl level players and a stop gap center.

2 could easliy end up in Canton.

Pretty solid draft. 3 current starters out of 7. That gets an A in my book.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

1 27(27) Larry Johnson HB Penn St.
2 15(47) Kawika Mitchell ILB South Florida
3 28(92) Julian Battle S Tennessee
4 16(113) Brett Williams OT Florida St.
5 18(153) Jordan Black OT Notre Dame
6 16(189) Jimmy Wilkerson* DE Oklahoma
7 16(230) Montique Sharpe DT Wake Forest
7 38(252) Willie Pile S Virginia Tech

at the time I gave it a D since Vermeil's offense was rolling and our Defense couldn't stop a pack of angry girl scouts.

5 years later, LJ was more than expected, but we whiffed on all the OL picks.
Kawika developed into a decent MLB who was just let go to be replaced by an older slower version

C+
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Round
1 George Foster OT Georgia
2 Terry Pierce* ILB Kansas St.
4 Quentin Griffin HB Oklahoma
4 Nick Eason DT Clemson
4 Bryant McNeal OLB Clemson
5 Ben Claxton C Ole Miss
5 Adrian Madise WR TCU
6 Aaron Hunt DE Texas Tech
7 Clint Mitchell* DE Florida
7 Ahmaad Galloway HB Alabama

I wish I could tell you how these guys panned out, but unfortunately not one of them is still on the roster....so overall, I'd say

F-
get out, get out while there's still time
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

Sammy Davis, CB, Texas A&M
Drayton Florence CB Tuskegee (46)
Terence Kiel, S, Texas A&M
Courtney Van Buren, T Arkansas-Pine Bluff (80)
Matt Wilhelm, LB Ohio State (112)
Mike Scifres, P Western Ilinois (149)
Hanik Milligan, FS Houston (188)
Andrew Pinnock, FB South Carolina (229)

Sammy Davis..Chargers should have know he was already dead...Bust

Drayton Florence..Starter for 3 years, opted out in free agency 2008 signed with Jacksonville

Terence Kiel..In 2003 Kiel was shot 3 times after an attempted carjacking in Houston. On September 26, 2006 Kiel was arrested for multiple drug charges including: possession, possession with the intent to sell, and transportation of a controlled substance. Police came to the Chargers practice facility and arrested him. He was released after posting a $1,550,000 bond.[1] On February 7, 2007 he pleaded guilty to felony and misdemeanor drug charges for shipping codeine-based cough syrup to Texas...nuff said...he didn't fall far enough for the Raiduhs to draft him..pity

Courtney Van Buren..6'6" 380 lbs. nuff said..ate himself out of pro football..Gone

Matt Wilhelm .. started 14 games in 2007 and finished second on the squad with 144 tackles, recorded three interceptions, a sack and four tackles for loss.

Mike Scifres, a first-alternate to the AFC Pro Bowl past two years

Hanik Milligan, 2005, 2006 named a Pro Bowl selection on special teams with the Chargers, released and picked up by Arizona, now with Rams if not cut.

Andrew Pinnock ..starting fullback after Bolts let all-pro Lorenzo Neal go in favor of Pinnock

6 of 8 still in NFL

3 of 8 still with Chargers, all starters

Overall, considering they had the 30th. overall pick in the first round, I'd say they had a pretty good draft.... looks like a about a A

..well, if headhunter says 3 out of 7 ranks an "A"..and apparently pop's agrees...I'm upgrading my B rating to an A
Last edited by ChargerMike on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JIP said...Hell, Michael Sam has more integrity than you do.

GrizBearStare
Elwood

Post by GrizBearStare »

Seahawks

Marcus Trufant – CB
Pro Bowler, one of the top corners in the league, still with the team.

Ken Hamlin - S
Pro Bowler, hard hitter, very solid safety with Cowboys. Hopefully has learned to stay out of the clubs after getting brained with a no parking sign and missing a season.

Wayne Hunter – DT
Still in the league. Not very remarkable.

Seneca Wallace – QB
Very good backup; won games while Hasselbeck was hurt, still with the team. There would be more to say if he had been willing to pull a Randel El and/or work as a KR.

Solomon Bates – LB
Nothing

Chris Davis – FB
Nothing

Rashaad Moore – DT
Had a decent first two years in the league, now with the Falcons probably to hang on for another year or two as a backup

Josh Brown – K
Right up there with some of the best clutch kickers in the league. Something like four game winning field goals in 2006. Should do well in the dome in St. Louis. Pro Bowl caliber kicker.

Two Pro Bowl DBs, a game winning kicker, a solid backup QB, a couple of roster fillers and two ghosts. I'll say B+.
From the moment we leave the forest, Dan, it's all a givin' up and adjustin'.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Damn, 'hunter, Dallas cleaned up in that draft.
And 24 hrs after the draft, Lenny P. gave them just a C+.

Yep, you just gotta give it some time.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

1 2(2) Charles Rogers WR Michigan St.
2 2(34) Boss Bailey OLB Georgia
3 2(66) Cory Redding DE Texas
4 2(99) Artose Pinner HB Kentucky
5 2(137) Terrence Holt S NC State
5 9(144) James Davis S West Virginia
6 2(175) David Kircus WR Grand Valley St.
7 2(216) Ben Johnson OT Wisconsin
7 6(220) Blue Adams CB Cincinnati
7 22(236) Brandon Drumm FB Colorado
7 46(260) Travis Anglin WR Memphis

Rogers--Oh dear...showed some flashes but had a shoulder made of glass. Plus, he liked weed. I have no idea what he's been up to lately...last heard he was playing in Canada.

Bailey--Signed with Denver this offseason to reunite with his more talented brother, Champ. Pretty athletic linebacker with good speed but injuries were always an issue with him. The Lions have had bad luck with drafting linebackers and having them stay healthy.

Redding--He signed arguably one of the worst contracts in the NFL and with Shaun Rogers now gone, the pressure falls on him to be the man inside on the defensive line. He's actually not a bad player but no way does he deserve the contract that he got last offseason.

Pinner--Spent only 3 years in Detroit and had minimal success as a 3rd string running back. Saw that he was with Minnesota recently but now he's with the Saints.

Holt--Had 4 okay years in Detroit before leaving for Arizona and now is with the Panthers. Solid player but much like with Boss Bailey...the Lions got the less talented of a pair of brothers with his older brother Torry being of the best receivers in the NFL in this decade.

Davis--'Dirty' Davis...some more from him in preseason action when he was with the team. They converted him to a linebacker from safety...didn't quite work out for him. I don't think he's in the NFL anymore after the Lions got rid of him.

Kircus--He was a popular pick being the local boy from GVSU coming off a national championship. He and the QB from the Lakers Curt Anes attended camp the same year but Anes was cut. He showed flashes with the Broncos after he left Detroit but he had the run in at the nightclub during the offseason and ended up losing his gig in Denver. I see he's now with the Dolphins.

Johnson--He hung around as back up but eventually was let go.

Adams--I don't think he made it though the first training camp.

Drumm--He played briefly with the Lions as a special teamer but didn't hang around for very long.

Anglin--Much like Adams, he didn't make it through camp.

Only one player remaining from this draft...Redding is a starter but a morbidly overpaid one at that. 4 of those guys started when they were here. All and all, not a memorable draft. I'll give it a D- but I think I'm being too generous. Len's grade was a B-...seemed like it was a decent draft at the time but it really looked worse as each year has passed.
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

2 12(44) Taylor Jacobs WR Florida
3 17(81) Derrick Dockery OG Texas
7 18(232) Gibran Hamdan QB Indiana

C- from Pastabelly was extremely generous. A from helmet-head shows he has always been an overrated cunt.

Taylor Jacobs – Somehow this fool is still in the league. Denver must be desperate; however, his 2 career TDs could prove invaluable.

Dockery – Has one good season, makes ludicrous cash with the Bills. Too many false starts and cannot pull for shit. At least the Skins get a 3rd round pick for losing his fat ass.

Gibran Hamdan – currently 3rd string for the Bills. Has 1 completion for 7 yards…in his career.

I cannot remember what happened to the rest of the picks. I believe they went for Trung Candidate and to the Jets for mediocre players that are no longer with the team. Ballcoach was a worthless piece of shit coach. Unfortunately, this kind of sack of shit draft is not atypical for the Skins.

F-------------------------------------------------
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

1 16(16) Troy Polamalu S Southern Cal
2 27(59) Alonzo Jackson DE Florida St.
4 28(125) Ivan Taylor CB La. Lafayette
5 28(163) Brian St. Pierre QB Boston Coll.
7 28(242) J.T. Wall FB Georgia

Out of those 5, Polamalu and Taylor are still with the team and producing at a high level. Alonzo Jackson was a total bust. Brian St. Pierre had the kind of career in Pittsburgh one might have expected as a 3rd sting emergency QB/Practice Squad slappy. And J.T. Wall? How soon we have forgotten the greatness that was J.T. Wall.

Edit: BTW, I give this draft a B-. It would have been an A were it not for the utter disaster that was Alonzo Jackson.
Last edited by BSmack on Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

1 3(3) Andre Johnson* WR Miami (FL)
2 9(41) Bennie Joppru TE Michigan
3 3(67) Antwan Peek OLB Cincinnati
3 11(75) Seth Wand OT NW Missouri St.
3 24(88) Dave Ragone QB Louisville
4 4(101) Domanick Davis HB LSU
6 19(192) Drew Henson* QB Michigan
6 41(214) Keith Wright DE Missouri
7 3(217) Curry Burns S Louisville
7 19(233) Chance Pearce C Texas A&M

Wow, just wow. After Andre Johnson, it goes straight to hell.

Bennie Joppru was on the PUP list longer than Kennedy was in office.

Peek was a serviceable OLB who had a motor, but was too inconsistent against the run.

Seth Wand was a big bust. He was thought to really help the Texans offensive line issues, but never could. Terrible OT.

Dave Ragone was a horrible pick for the Texans because they had more pressing needs to fill at the time. Ragone had limited playing time and the Texans thought he could turn into a legit #2 QB behing Carr after his NFL Europe MVP season. He was definitely a system QB.

Domanick Davis was actually a good pick. He turned in the Texans first ever 1000 yard season and had he held onto the ball a little better during their 7-9 season, then the Texans would have finished 9-7. He had 2 really good years, but thats not enough to cinsider this a good pick because injuries cost him.

Henson was trade bait. We got Dallas' 2005 thrid round pick which ended up being Vernand Morency. Morency did not have the work ethic Kubiak was looking for, so he was traded for Samkon Gado who no longer wears a Texans uniform.

Keith Wright - uhh who? Third stringer for the Lions I think.

Curry Burns - scrub

Chance Pearce - scrub

Andre Johnson will be a HoF, so the Texans get somewhat of a pass here.

C-
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Another Charley Casserly masterpiece draft.

Almost literally impossible for someone to be a worse GM than he was for the Texans.
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Tart, I would give your draft a better grade considering Aso's talent and where you got him.

I guess I grade a little different though. I'm under the philosophy if you hit one homerun in the draft, then your team gets a C to start off. Maybe others grade their draft over the full package which I'm sure the Texans considering their 7 other picks, probably deserve a D-.

When you add Fargas to your list, then I would give your team a C+ for that draft.
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

BROWNS:

1 21(21) Jeff Faine* C Notre Dame
2 20(52) Chaun Thompson OLB West Texas A&M
3 20(84) Chris Crocker S Marshall
4 18(115) Lee Suggs HB Virginia Tech
5 7(142) Ryan Pontbriand C Rice
5 17(152) Mike Lehan CB Minnesota
6 22(195) Antonio Garay DE Boston Coll.

:lol:

This draft was ridiculed at the time, and justifiably so. The one guy left is Pontbriand, the long snapper. Thompson is undersized but makes up for it by being slow and a poor tackler. Not surprisingly, the Browns just now realized after five years that he is terrible. Faine was thought to be a reach at the time, and lived down to his billing in Cleveland but had a nice year in New Orleans when they made the NFC title game. Crocker was with the Falcons last year, i think. Suggs is out of the league. Lehan and Garay are elsewhere and little more than special teamers.

D-
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

Thompson has talent, but I think he underacheived in Cleveland because of the system for than enything else. This guy defintely needed a change of scenery. By no means do I think he should start for Houston, but I think this guy can add some much needed speed to the OLB position. He's a serviceable backer.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Degenerate wrote: Chris Crocker
Chris Crocker??????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoE ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"We are Marshall"
get out, get out while there's still time
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Green Bay

1 29(29) Nick Barnett OLB Oregon St.
3 15(79) Kenny Peterson DE Ohio St.
5 12(147) James Lee DT Oregon St.
5 31(166) Hunter Hillenmeyer ILB Vanderbilt
6 39(212) Brennan Curtin* OT Notre Dame
7 31(245) Chris Johnson CB Louisville
7 39(253) DeAndrew Rubin WR South Florida
7 42(256) Carl Ford WR Toledo
7 43(257) Steve Josue OLB Carson-Newman

I don’t even remember half most of these guys. This was Mike Sherman’s second draft, and he proved to be a better coach than GM. He was a bit hamstrung in this draft having shipped the 2nd round pick to Philly for Al Harris. Grade: D-

Barnett has been a starter from day one.

Peterson was a benchwarmer for three years. Same position with Denver the last two.

I don’t believe Lee played even one full season.

Hillenmeyer was waived three games into the 2003 season, and picked up by the Bears. He’s started 50 games over the past 4 seasons.

Curtin was a bust.

Rubin never played a game in the NFL. Currently a reserve in the Arena league.

Ford never played a game for Packers.

Josue was shipped off to NFL Europe. Got into 4 games in 2004. End of NFL career.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

ChargerMike wrote:

..well, if headhunter says 3 out of 7 ranks an "A"..and apparently pop's agrees...I'm upgrading my B rating to an A

It's not just the number, but the quality.

2 Pro Bowlers, and the third, Bradie James, had a Pro Bowl year but probably missed out because of the number of other Cowboys making the trip to Honolulu last year.

These aren't just starters or role players. these are stand-outs. If you net 3 pro-bowl caliber players in a single draft, I'd rate it an A+.

And punters don't count.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Mike, that Charger draft gets a B- at best from me.

Only one guy drafted has significantly distinguished himself at the NFL level, and that is a punter.

SD whiffed badly on it's #1 pick.

It's not a terrible draft, but it's a very ... blah ... draft, IMO.

No freaking way that is an A draft.

I'd give it a straight C.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

Punters are fairly interchangeable.

I wouldn't use landing a good punter in the draft as a litmus to grade the draft.

That doesn't mean they don't have value to the game.

Same with field goal kickers.
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

mvscal wrote:
Headhunter wrote:And punters don't count.
Field position doesn't matter? Watch much football, do you?
You pull your hamstring stretching for that one mv?

No need to repeat HH's assessment of the Boys draft. Absolutely nails.
Aaron in Tucson
Elwood

Post by Aaron in Tucson »

Pops, When Scrabble was picked,I, like you, said “who the fuck?”
I think I remember the experts spouting that that was a typical Davis reach... could'a been had in the third round. HA!

Sam Williams and Teyo Johnson were supposed to be household names. I know I’ve had a few names for them. Hey, remember that horrrrible touchdown celebration Johnson did as he dropped to all fours and humped air? Motherfuckers practice that shit? What a fucking embarrassment.

Tyler Brayton? On draft day didn’t we all think, damn, that white boy reminds me of Howie… until we saw him get bitch slapped on a weekly basis by every opposing lineman in the league.

Fargas today is a far cry from his early days as a Raider. He landed in my doghouse his first preseason game for weak running and a lack of powering through or making the first tackler miss. Today he’s a downhill runner that does a little dishing – much better.

Scrabble was the only gamer in that draft leaving the other letters on our tile holder to spell out P L U N G E R
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Toos wrote:Hey, remember that horrrrible touchdown celebration Johnson did as he dropped to all fours and humped air?
haha

Seriously, I had forgotten that.

Next time you come back from hiatus, please don't do that.
Same feeling I had as when mom & dad used to pull the old family photo album out of the closet to remind me of all the very 'cute' things I used to do as a toddler.

Fuck.