The way Americans, er, most Oklahomans see the world

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Re: The way Americans, er, most Oklahomans see the world

Post by SunCoastSooner »

BSmack wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:The fact that Oklahoma has three of the top ten most integrated communities in America, Lawton (which is number #1 in the country), Oklahoma City, and Ardmore, has no relevance on the subject though does it? Don't let facts get in the way of a stupid argument though.
You do realize that your state is the one parcel of land in the United States that was deemed to be so worthless that white people didn't even bother to steal it from the Indians until all the good land had already been taken?
My State? I lived in your state longer in my life than I did Oklahoma...

It just irks me that so many people, many have rarely even been to the state unless just passing through, talk about the place as though they live in the 1800s there and don't have indoor plumbing. OKC is a nice community for the most part and outside of the actual OKC system the surrounding school districts are actually very well maintained and the students receive a good education (far better than anything public that I saw in the Pittsburgh area while living there). The downtown OKC area is one of the nicest and well kept downtown districts in America with as much or more to do than most now. It isn't 1950 anymore...

The biggest problem in Oklahoma is that the majority of graduates from the states best three institutions (OU, Oklahoma City University, and Tulsa) leave the state for better pay. Hence Dallas has the largest alumni base for OU and why I live in Florida (where I have resided for longest part of my life in one location). I consider myself a Floridian as well and if I didn't claim Florida I would hale from North Carolina in my opinion. I have lived all over the country and Oklahoma is no worse than, and in fact better, than many of the places I resided; to include Pittsburgh.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

BSmack wrote: You do realize that your state is the one parcel of land in the United States that was deemed to be so worthless that white people didn't even bother to steal it from the Indians until all the good land had already been taken?
True or not, that's some good "your state sucks" smack. I'm still waiting to find an Oklahoma state quarter to get my collection up to date. You don't suppose the Denver and Philly mints overlooked that shithole.... nah.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

SunCoastSooner wrote:My State? I lived in your state longer in my life than I did Oklahoma...
Upstate or Downstate?

Anyhow, it hardly surprises me that Sooner grads would flee Oklahoma en masse upon graduation. Thanks for the confirmation.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

BSmack wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:My State? I lived in your state longer in my life than I did Oklahoma...
Upstate or Downstate?

Anyhow, it hardly surprises me that Sooner grads would flee Oklahoma en masse upon graduation. Thanks for the confirmation.
That has more to do with wages than with the quality of life moron. I lived in Pittsburgh (Monroeville).

I guess the quality of living in Pittsburgh and Philly explains why so damn many of your state's major instituitions alumni move here to Florida... Close any more steel/iron factories lately or are there even any left in Pittsburgh and all moved to Birmingham, Alabama? Hell does anyone in Pittsburgh have a job anymore? Damn near half the freakin city (hyperbole) was unemployed when I lived there. Hell our biggest portion of Business was for banks having to reappraise properties they had forclosed on...
Last edited by SunCoastSooner on Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

SunCoastSooner wrote:I guess the quality of living in Pittsburgh and Philly explains why so damn many of your state's major instituitions alumni move here to Florida...
What does the quality of living in Pittsburgh or Philly have to do with NY's major institutions?

Brian lives in Rochester, NY. A craphole in and of itself, but NY's little craphole.
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Mike the Lab Rat wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:I guess the quality of living in Pittsburgh and Philly explains why so damn many of your state's major instituitions alumni move here to Florida...
What does the quality of living in Pittsburgh or Philly have to do with NY's major institutions?

Brian lives in Rochester, NY. A craphole in and of itself, but NY's little craphole.

Isn't B from Pittsburgh? Why the hell did he leave if it was so damn wonderful? Possibly for a better paying job I would assume... same reason I didn't stay in Oklahoma.

Glass house, stones, and all that Jazz...
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

SunCoastSooner wrote:Isn't B from Pittsburgh?
Ummm...not that I'm aware of. He went to college in western NY (SUNY/Geneseo) and some other college in NY.

AFAIK, he's a native NYer.
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Mike the Lab Rat wrote:
Ummm...not that I'm aware of. He went to college in western NY (SUNY/Geneseo) and some other college in NY.

I always assummed from all his posts in the Politics and NFL forums he was from Pburgh...
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Mike the Lab Rat wrote:

Yep, born, raised and still living here in Rochester, NY. The "other college" was Oswego, alma mater of Al Roker, Steve Levy and Linda Cohn where I received my degree.

I am familiar with Pittsburgh as my father in-law's family is from Brackenridge, PA and his family roots range from there to Aliquippa and back. So my wife and I have made a fair number of trips to Pittsburgh. Also I have been a Steelers fan since I knew what a football was. And I have occasionally written about Pittsburgh. So I can understand (sort of) how a newbie might be confused about where I hail from. But I am absolutely baffled as to how someone who has been here as long and has sparred with me as often as SCS could be confused.

Then again, when you stick a pig, there's no telling which way he'll jump.

BTW: SCS, where did you think I was from when you read and posted in this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27772&st=0&sk=t&sd=a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

BSmack wrote:
Mike the Lab Rat wrote:

Yep, born, raised and still living here in Rochester, NY. The "other college" was Oswego, alma mater of Al Roker, Steve Levy and Linda Cohn where I received my degree.

I am familiar with Pittsburgh as my father in-law's family is from Brackenridge, PA and his family roots range from there to Aliquippa and back. So my wife and I have made a fair number of trips to Pittsburgh. Also I have been a Steelers fan since I knew what a football was. And I have occasionally written about Pittsburgh. So I can understand (sort of) how a newbie might be confused about where I hail from. But I am absolutely baffled as to how someone who has been here as long and has sparred with me as often as SCS could be confused.

Then again, when you stick a pig, there's no telling which way he'll jump.

BTW: SCS, where did you think I was from when you read and posted in this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27772&st=0&sk=t&sd=a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unlike many members of the board I don't keep an excel spread sheet for T1B and it's posters...

As far as the thread you site. I really only check the Poli forum every couple of days to be honest and you could probably tell such but I'm sure that you keep as little track of what I do as I do you (I assume that in the end we both have lives outside of this place). If you check my quotes you'll probably notice that I quoted statements from early in the thread. It was probably a hit and run where I posted something in response to something in the initial few posts and then got distracted by something as irrelevant as work and running a business ( :D ) and then never got back to thread to read it in its entirety. I do that occassionally on the "unimportant forums"; which is basically all of them outside of College football, College basketball, and Theology (priorities and all). But thanks for pointing out that I needed to call MV out on it.

I really have always thought you were from Pittsburgh though. Sorry about the mistake. I don't know shit about Rochester and really don't care to so I don't have any insults left to lob at you in return... :doh: I tend to think that you know as little about me as well since you are always assuming I am from Oklahoma because I went to college there (it's the only time I have ever spent living there) ;) . I just think it gets a bad rap; kind of like Barkley's dumbass comments about chickens in the front yard and there being no black people in Oklahoma City on TNT 2 years ago. I lived on the southside (59th and Villa) for about 6 months while in college and I was begining to wonder if there were any white people in the city...
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Fun and games in Oklahoma.
ARAPAHO, Okla. — The sheriff of Custer County resigned on Wednesday just as federal prosecutors filed 35 felony counts against him for allegedly running a sex-slave operation at the jail.

Mike Burgess quit the position he'd held since 1994 shortly before appearing in court on 14 counts of second-degree rape, seven counts of forcible oral sodomy and five counts of bribery by a public official.

Burgess surrendered to Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation agents and was released from custody after posting $50,000 bail. He could not be reached for comment.

Among other things, Burgess is accused of having sex with a female drug court participant who was in his custody. The crimes allegedly occurred between October 2005 and April 2007.

A federal lawsuit filed in October claims Burgess told one drug court participant he would have her sent to prison if she didn't comply with his sexual demands.

The lawsuit, filed by 12 former jail prisoners, alleges the sheriff's employees had them engage in wet T-shirt contests and offered cigarettes to those who would flash their breasts.

One prisoner alleged she became a jail trusty with more freedom after agreeing to perform a sex act on Burgess, but lost that status when she later refused.

Burgess also faces two counts each of sexual battery, rape by instrumentation and subornation of perjury. Also filed were one count each of engaging in a pattern of criminal offenses, indecent exposure and kidnapping.

Special prosecutor James Boring said Burgess could be sentenced to 467 years in prison if convicted on all 35 counts.

Custer County Commissioner J.M. Kelly said the day-to-day operations of the sheriff's department will be managed by undersheriff Kenneth Tidwell.
It seems the more skilled rapists are instrument rated.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

Martyred wrote:Image
What! The mewling mound of mouse-droppings dares to peak his timid narrow nostrils from his dung hole?

Whelp! Did I not properly warn you? Did you somehow not get the message? What, did you think because your comment is nothing more than a meek little squeak that you would somehow dare to walk and talk like a man?

Wrong! Back in your hole, bitch.
Before God was, I am
Ang
Jumpin' Little Juke Joint Gal

Post by Ang »

SunCoastSooner's thought that most grads leave Oklahoma for more job opportunity is right on the money. My husband and I both found better jobs right out of college by leaving, first to STL and then to San Diego. 15 years later we came back, and even with experience and all it's still much slimmer pickens (gotta keep with the Okie lingo, y'all) than other places we have lived.

And once I went from private enterprise into education, I have seen that even more. I taught 4 years at the Okie State mother ship in Stillwater, and very few of our grads in landscape architecture stayed in the state. Now at a community college branch of OSU, I see our students heavily recruited from companies in other areas with more opportunity. But our students are mostly second career folks who have a house and family here and choose to stay even with the opportunities elsewhere. Good thing some of them stay around, or this place would be a dust bowl. Oh wait, that already happened!

Radio's map has to be from Oklahoma, because it shows all the country the same. My friends on both coasts would NEVER put their home area in the same map category as the fly-over states...they would have a very special distinction apart from the riff-raff that inhabits the great plains. The map reminds me of ebaums end of the world clip. I think it made it to everyone in the country on the net a couple of years ago, but if you have never seen it...here's the link http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/play/710/

Oh, and Seattle...too little, too late.