Extinct Bunnies?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: Extinct Bunnies?

Post by BSmack »

In a shocking development, a journalist has horribly misused a scientific term for dramatic effect.

In other news, water is wet, the sun rose in the east and KFC Paul is fat.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Orcinus is bunnies.
Bunnies live.
Library books are extinct.

JFlock was run.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

I vote for extinct Jack rabbits
Dan Vogel
FBI Informant

Post by Dan Vogel »

The rabbits are not really extinct and BSmack is right that it is a writer using bad language to describe the situation. But even a breed of rabbits becoming "extinct" from a given region is alarming. Something has gone out of balance and when that is the case it is always traced back to a problem that man has caused by some perversion of the enviornment. Generally the less man is involved in a habitat the more naturally plants and animals interact and thrive. They don't die off.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

orc = off the hook...officially demotivated.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

a problem that man has caused by some perversion
Dan, mvscal appreciates the foreplay...but it's a little disgusting for the rest of us. What's next...creampie recipes? Quit now, you vile degenerate.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, Bace occasionally posts here so I would use the term endangered species as opposed to extinct.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So... they brought in a bunch of wolves to compete with the coyotes and other predators, and now the rabbits are gone?

I'd say there might be a reason that the people in question went into biology rather than rocket science.

And in prarie/pasture lands around here, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one of the many species of rabbits, whitetails included.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
RumpleForeskin
Jack Sprat

Post by RumpleForeskin »

When my dad was a little kid, my grandparents got him a rabbit at a fair. They thought it was a cottontail. Boy, were they wrong. Biggest god damn j4ck rabbit they'd ever seen. My dad got a real kick walking home from school with other kids and they would get to my dad's house and there was this big fucking rabbit sitting on the front window seal. He said some of the kids would run home screaming. Hehe
“You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas”
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

RumpleForeskin wrote:window seal

Fuggin Texans.

It's a "sill," you inbred fuck.

Why is it always uneducated dweebs from the southern half of the country that insist on calling it a "seal"?

A window is usually sealed between the flange and the sheeting... and you can't see that part. Please adjust your vocabulary so as to avoid future ridicule after finding one of my pet peeve words. TIA.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dinsdale wrote:
RumpleForeskin wrote:window seal

Fuggin Texans.

It's a "sill," you inbred fuck.

Why is it always uneducated dweebs from the southern half of the country that insist on calling it a "seal"?

A window is usually sealed between the flange and the sheeting... and you can't see that part. Please adjust your vocabulary so as to avoid future ridicule after finding one of my pet peeve words. TIA.
Yeah, I hate the Houston Texans too.

As a Texan who spent my first 27 years there, I have never heard a sill referred to as a seal. Don't lump all us Texans in with Rumple
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:Don't lump all us Texans in with Rumple

"Lump"... "Rumple"...

I sense a fat joke coming on...
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

Well, fuck me Freddy.

I just finished the last one yesterday afternoon, too ... guess it was all for naught.

Auf wiedersehen, bunnies.

On the flip side, it looks like I've just freed up a truckload of free time that can be used to further this board's fun-fun-fun q-score and stuff. Anyone wanting custom avatars can submit requests in this thread (assuming the proper paperwork is filled out, of course).
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

You should make some up where we're all different cards in a deck... that would be like totally epic and stuff.
Biggie
The Great Illuminator

Post by Biggie »

Thanks for ruining it for everybody, eighty eight.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I gotta replace my window sills. That fuggin north wind was blowin' right through them a few nights ago during that storm.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:So... they brought in a bunch of wolves to compete with the coyotes and other predators, and now the rabbits are gone?

I'd say there might be a reason that the people in question went into biology rather than rocket science.

And in prarie/pasture lands around here, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one of the many species of rabbits, whitetails included.
Jackrabbits (also known as hares) are not rabbits.

They are, in fact, not only a different species than any rabbit, but of a different genus.

Tell me you knew.

(of course you did, you were just trying to see if anybody else did, right?)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:I gotta replace my window sills. That fuggin north wind was blowin' right through them a few nights ago during that storm.

'Round here, if you time it just right, you can get the power company to foot some of the bill for window replacement... I think they still do the rebates anyway.

I would highly recommend replacing old windows with new Jeld-Wen units. Not that Jeld-Wens are that much superior (they are fine quality windows), but you'll be benefitting my state economy. Heck, I think Jeld-Wen opened a plant in the eastern part of the country recently.

Replacement windows and doors all always a good investment.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:Tell me you knew.

20 years ago, I probably did.

But now, they're all bunnies to me.

And they're pretty much overpriced at a dime-a-dozen around here.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
Mikey wrote:Tell me you knew.

20 years ago, I probably did.

But now, they're all bunnies to me.

And they're pretty much overpriced at a dime-a-dozen around here.
Hasenpfeffer rocks
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote: Hasenpfeffer rocks

Never had it, although I've had the Russian/Ukranian version... since Russinas and Ukranians are about a dime-a-dozen around these parts, too.

Since my afternoon schedule has been cleared, I'm thinking I might have to go play some golf, or more likely disc golf (the weather has been pretty nice lately, for February). Thinking I might have to go out to Dodge Park (on the Sandy River, at the mouth of the Gorge). Haven't been in a while, but you can't throw a disc down the fairway without hitting a rabbit... literally. If I knock one out, I'll have to take note of the features, to determine if they're jackrabbits or cottontails. Pretty small, so I'm guessing they're garden-variety bunnies.
Dan Vogel
FBI Informant

Post by Dan Vogel »

mvscal wrote:Shut the fuck up, you ignorant fucking douchebag.
What kind of problem do you have? If posting on a message board makes you so angry you need to take up a different hobby. You might be good at educating people about how to use four letter words but I don't think you know much about the wildlife and the enviornment. I've studied it and it's also been a lifelong hobby of mine. It's a fact that man's influence is the main contributor to animal and plant extinction.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I just finished the last one yesterday afternoon, too
too LATE, you ASS.
Bobby42
Natural Man

Post by Bobby42 »

Wrong bunny...whew. I'm glad.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Dan Vogel wrote:
mvscal wrote:Shut the fuck up, you ignorant fucking douchebag.
What kind of problem do you have? If posting on a message board makes you so angry you need to take up a different hobby. You might be good at educating people about how to use four letter words but I don't think you know much about the wildlife and the enviornment. I've studied it and it's also been a lifelong hobby of mine. It's a fact that man's influence is the main contributor to animal and plant extinction.
Here's to hoping mvscals influence will be the main contributor to Dan Vogel extinction.
Dan Vogel
FBI Informant

Post by Dan Vogel »

Of course many species went extinct before man was around and that was by the work of mother nature. It was a natural occurrence. So it's an apples and oranges argument. Now man is around and due to man's industrialization, roadway building, polluting, and changing of natural habitats, animals and plants become extinct. This is known.

It would be good to have a level headed discussion on topics sometimes without having to read snide remarks from many of the same people. Grow up if that shoe fits you.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Elephants really mess up things just from their feeding--which is like 18+ hours a day.
Species that are opportunists of course thrive in human habitat--like pigeons (rock doves).
I also read somewhere that chimpanzees would quickly become extinct if not for human intervention.
Species extinction at our hands can be a sad thing, but for the most part we have become fairly good
stewards of our earth's animal life.
My 2¢ worth !
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

people shouldn't really worry about the bunnies in yellowstone. maybe they aren't deceased, but they realized that the experiment has failed and looked for something else to hop around and nibble on.

one day another one of these rabbits wil reappear and the headline in the scientific journal dedicated to such things will read "BWAAHAAHAA WE FOUND YOU FAGS"
why is my neighborhood on fire
Dan Vogel
FBI Informant

Post by Dan Vogel »

88 wrote:Is it your position that any change made to the environment by the human species is not natural, but any change made by any other species is natural? Who taught you to hate humans?

You need to go put on some grown up shoes. You've got a kindergartener's understanding of the environment and man's place in it.
Man's changes are not natural because man is capable of using chemicals and machines. Animals can't do those things. Man is at another level than the other animals. His intelligence is so much higher than the other animals and he should have a greater responsiblilty to act in a proper way toward the enviornment and the other creatures. He shouldn't be self serving and selfish.

I don't think I have a kindergarten understanding of anything my friend. Maybe you're just a little too full of yourself. Thanks Papa Willie I'll put you on the sick list.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

Dan Vogel wrote:Thanks Papa Willie. I'll put you on the sick list.
You may want to reinforce it first.
War Wagon wrote:There is a God and my tomato garden is proof of that.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

RACK Bace
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

Two pages and no references to one of the greatest killer bunny flicks ever - "Night of the Lepus?"

C'mon...DeForest Kelley, Rory Calhoun, AND giant killer bunnies?

Hell, I'm also surprised a pic from "Holy Grail" or a "Look at the bones!" quote hasn't been dropped yet...
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
Rootbeer

Post by Rootbeer »

Night of the Lepus was horrible. You just can't make bunnies look scary. Not even with close-ups on their teeth while they chew glycerin. Worse movie that that though: Nukie. Holy chitballs that movie was painful bad.

I used to live within the Yellowstone Caldera and I can tell you that I haven't seen anything but a snowshoe hare or a cottontail rabbit in 15 years. In the mid 80's there was a huge jack rabbit infestation in the Mud Lake/Terreton area. The gubment tried to poison them but their numbers didn't diminish a whole lot. So they came up with the "Mud Lake Bunny Bash". On radio, TV, and in print they promoted the heck out of the event in which hundreds of thousands of rabbits were herded into a fenced enclosure and beaten to death by sportsmen. No kidding. How does that factor into your view of ecology, Mr. Vogel? My dad made some clubs out of inch and three-quarter dowel. We stood on the outside of the fence and when a rabbit came running past we'd smack it 'til it didn't move. The Fish & Game hauled away the carcasses in dumptruck after dumptruck. It was incredible. Some enterprising dude had the foresight to make T-shirts commemorating the event. Just the other day I found a picture of myself in one of those T-shirts with two punch drunk rabbits on the front. Those were the good old days before PETA, the ACLU and the like sued the testosterone out of everyone and turned the country into a melting pot of pussies.

The wolf introduction in the Sawtooth Mountains was the stupidest farkin' thing I've ever witnessed. Holy government bullshit, Batman! $700,000 per wolf so they can eat everything that moves and fukk up an ecosystem that was balanced without them? No thanks, Bill-farking-Clinton. All of you Washington dickweeds, stay the hell out of the Rocky Mountains. We're doing just fine without you Beltway Bastards.
Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

88 wrote:...and other ungulates...
You know, I think Rumps would appreciate at least one thread in this forum without a derogatory reference to his spouse.
Moving Sale wrote: I could easily have an IQ of 40
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

Didn't realize Bace had died. Didn't know rosecea was terminal. T& P's.

PS - Night of the Lepus was terrible? Who knew, sincerely, Food of the Gods.
What were we just talking about?
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

Rootbeer wrote:My dad made some clubs out of inch and three-quarter dowel. We stood on the outside of the fence and when a rabbit came running past we'd smack it 'til it didn't move. The Fish & Game hauled away the carcasses in dumptruck after dumptruck. It was incredible. Some enterprising dude had the foresight to make T-shirts commemorating the event. Just the other day I found a picture of myself in one of those T-shirts with two punch drunk rabbits on the front. Those were the good old days before PETA, the ACLU and the like sued the testosterone out of everyone and turned the country into a melting pot of pussies.

The wolf introduction in the Sawtooth Mountains was the stupidest farkin' thing I've ever witnessed. Holy government bullshit, Batman! $700,000 per wolf so they can eat everything that moves and fukk up an ecosystem that was balanced without them? No thanks, Bill-farking-Clinton. All of you Washington dickweeds, stay the hell out of the Rocky Mountains. We're doing just fine without you Beltway Bastards.
That's some pretty rough talk for a Mormon.

Let's talk about it over a some coffee.

PS - How about that Mitt Romney guy, huh?

Sincerely,

Glenn Beck
What were we just talking about?
Dan Vogel
FBI Informant

Post by Dan Vogel »

Rootbeer wrote:I used to live within the Yellowstone Caldera and I can tell you that I haven't seen anything but a snowshoe hare or a cottontail rabbit in 15 years. In the mid 80's there was a huge jack rabbit infestation in the Mud Lake/Terreton area. The gubment tried to poison them but their numbers didn't diminish a whole lot. So they came up with the "Mud Lake Bunny Bash". On radio, TV, and in print they promoted the heck out of the event in which hundreds of thousands of rabbits were herded into a fenced enclosure and beaten to death by sportsmen. No kidding. How does that factor into your view of ecology, Mr. Vogel? My dad made some clubs out of inch and three-quarter dowel. We stood on the outside of the fence and when a rabbit came running past we'd smack it 'til it didn't move.
I don't have any respect for a person who would beat to death any defenseless animal. It's the act of a very sad person. You can be the big funny and macho message board hero about it but at the heart of the matter you are a sad person. And the rabbit situation would have worked itself out by the hands of mother nature if man had just left it all alone. So thanks for proving my point.
Rootbeer

Post by Rootbeer »

Roger, you can go ahead and get over crap that happened five years ago. The world has moved on, Roger the Crapslinger.

BTW, I swear sometimes in real life too. I'm not perfect. I don't need to be perfect. I just need to strive to be good. That's what the atonement was all about. Now go to hell. ←See that's not swearing because I mean actual hell. Pack your opiates and razorblades and run a warm bath, cripple. Satan can't wait to jab a red hot poker into your 14th vertebrae.
Rootbeer

Post by Rootbeer »

Dan, the bunny situation did work itself out. The wolves have now made them extinct in the Yellowstone basin. Ain't nature and Washington wonderful?
Dan Vogel
FBI Informant

Post by Dan Vogel »

This is an article that came out just yesterday and it relates to this topic. It's evidence for the point I was making in this thread. Anyone can see how the mind and arrogance of man is ruining much of the natural world. I speak the truth so don't turn a blind eye to reality. Disrupting an endangered and precious natural species so that the army can train to kill and maim people makes me want to throw up. Can anyone realistically support that? These tortoises are remarkable creatures by the way. Very beautiful.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080403/ap_ ... zJAP0PLBIF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mojave tortoises moved for Army training Thu Apr 3, 7:35 PM ET

FORT IRWIN, Calif. - Scientists have begun moving the Mojave Desert's flagship species, the desert tortoise, to make room for tank training at the Army's Fort Irwin despite protests by some conservationists.

The controversial project, billed as the largest desert tortoise move in California history, involves transferring 770 endangered reptiles from Army land to a dozen public plots overseen by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management.

Fort Irwin has sought to expand its 643,000-acre training site into tortoise territory for two decades. The Army said it needs an extra 131,000 acres to accommodate faster tanks and longer-range weapons used each month to train some 4,000 troops.

Desert tortoises are the longest-living reptiles in the Southwest with a potential life span of 100 years and can weigh up to 15 pounds. Their population has been threatened in recent years by urbanization, disease and predators including the raven.

Weeks before the relocation, two conservation groups threatened to sue Fort Irwin. The Center for Biological Diversity and Desert Survivors contend that the land set aside for the desert tortoises is too close to an interstate highway and is plagued with off-road vehicles and illegal dumping that would disturb the animals.

The groups served Fort Irwin with a 60-day notice of intent to sue and plan to file the lawsuit after the desert tortoises have been moved.

"There's still a lot of work that needs to be done to make the relocation site more habitable ... so the animals would survive better there," said Ileene Anderson, a staff biologist with the Center for Biological Diversity.

Fort Irwin lawyers and federal wildlife officials determined the claims were unfounded and decided to go ahead with the $8.5 million project. The process began last weekend and will last two weeks. The tortoises, including about 67 babies, are being moved into habitats approved by the U.S. Geological Survey and other experts.

"The translocation of tortoises is a very complex process," Fort Irwin spokesman John Wagstaffe said in a recent interview. "You have to move them gently and make sure they don't get stressed during the move."

About a year before the transfer, biologists tagged desert tortoises living in the proposed training expansion area with radio transmitters and took blood tests to make sure they were healthy.

Scientists have a short window to relocate the animals, which recently awakened from winter hibernation and will return to their burrows in the summer.

Last weekend, a group equipped with receivers scanned the desert for signs of the tagged tortoises, placed them in plastic containers and hauled them to their new home. They were given water and released.

Scientists will continue to monitor the relocated tortoises for signs of stress.

Research studies show relocated tortoises typically spend the first year roaming. Over time, they settle down and survive as well as tortoises that stayed put, said Roy Averill-Murray, desert tortoise recovery coordinator with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Reno, Nev.

"We're plopping them down in a new area that they're not familiar with so they spend the first year or so learning their surroundings and where the good burrow sites are," Averill-Murray said Thursday.

Averill-Murray helped plan the Fort Irwin project, but is not involved in the actual move.