Anyone have a link for Office Professional? (most current)

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Hitdog
Fuckin' Noob

Anyone have a link for Office Professional? (most current)

Post by Hitdog »

I got a new rig that only included the Office trial edition. Obviously, I don't want to have to pay for the full version. Does anyone have a link to a free one....Office Professional 2004 is it? (product key wouldn't suck either). Thanks in advance.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I don't, however, maybe this will get you going:

http://www.openoffice.org/
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Open Office rocks. I have access to every MS office app and I still use OpenOffice at home. It supports all the bs MS formats for those who are worried about being able to read ms office documents.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

ElTaco wrote:Open Office rocks. I have access to every MS office app and I still use OpenOffice at home. It supports all the bs MS formats for those who are worried about being able to read ms office documents.
Yep!

Open Office.org 1.1.3

m2
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

My new computer came with an Office trial. I never even used it. Open Office is the bomb.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

and it works in windows?

Is it more secure than MSOffice?
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

-yes, it works on Windows
-there are virii and vulnerabilities that are tailored to MS Office. You'll be avoiding those. In that sense it's "more secure".
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Looks worth checking out. Anything not microsoft is a good thing.

virii.
Wasn't that a species on one of the star trek episodes?

"The virii planet"

;)
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Junkman
Fred Sanford is my Hero

Post by Junkman »

This should be added to the open software list.

Damn good by the way. I may use it in some low end intergration.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Does this new miracle software open Publisher files?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Not to my knowledge, Dins. However, for what tasks do you use Publisher? There is probably an alternative of some kind, if you are looking.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

The short answer is NO there is not. Why? Its not because the OO community doesn't want you to have that capability. No the reason is that MS makes it a secret so that no one else can read their files unless they dish out some $$$. You do have some choices. OO does have a publisher client that you can use to create new projects. You may be able to save a publisher document in another format and import it that way. I did find something that said post script file, but I don't think OO reads that specific format either.

Incidentally the Beta of OO 2.0 is out if anyone wants to try it.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

The pre-release of Open Office 2.0 is included in the latest SuSE 9.3.

Do you hear me UBUNTU? Take note and fix your GUI installer while you're at it.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The reason I asked was because right when this thread was posted, a near-computer-illiterate called me, trying to open Publisher documents, bitching about older versions of Publisher not opening docs created with newer versions. What a freaking scam. I'm not sure if he even got them all open, although Roomy converted some of them to a different format for him. I know it was work-critical at the time.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Fair enough. I was actually trying to deal with a Publisher file today. The file is someone's idea of a website - as pitiful as you could imagine - consisting of about twelve simple static pages. For this, the Publisher source is 48+mb. When you export an html document from it, the index page - something that I could code in about 20 lines at most - is over 2000 lines.

Publisher sucks ass hard.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Roomy is better at that stuff than I, so he tackled it. Catch was, that our bud forwarded the e-mail with the Publisher attachments, and by the time he was done converting them, the single-page docs became about 36 megs. Since our bud's newly upgraded IE for XP(all he has at present)will no longer hook up to our crew's shared FTP, we couldn't think up a good way to send him back his 36 meg files.

Thanks, MS.

Open letter to Microsoft --

Dear MS,
Trying to get a stranglehold/monopoly on software might not be your best long-term business plan.

Sincerely,
Apple