Classic Helmets

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Sky
It stinks like sex in here

Classic Helmets

Post by Sky »

Check out this list of classic CFB helmets

And please tell me this isn't real...someone actually wore these?
"Rest easy Woody, the new man has arrived."
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Re: Classic Helmets

Post by King Crimson »

Sky wrote:Check out this list of classic CFB helmets

And please tell me this isn't real...someone actually wore these?
Colorado hired Chuck Fairbanks in the late 70's and he changed CU's colors to powder blue and gold. what followed was the worst era in modern CU football history....lowlighted by two home losses to Drake. McCartney changed the colors back when he hired in 80 maybe.

edit: though not as much anymore, you can still some vestiges of the old blue/gold on campus at CU. for instance, there are plastic pennants that hang over the swimming pool in the student rec center that are blue/gold and surely date from that era. some of the interior paint/decor in the Coors Events Center were blue/gold until maybe 6-8 years ago. one of the 3 hoops courts in the before-mentioned student rec center has a blue/gold CU logo at midcourt.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

U-C-L-...CU?
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Dear lord, those were hideous. Thanks for dredging up some long-suppressed memories, Sky.

Oh, and KC, those unis stuck around much later than you think...
Wikipedia wrote:The official school colors are silver and gold, adopted in 1888 as a symbol of the mineral wealth of the state. In 1959, the athletic teams started using black and yellow because silver and gold ended up looking like dirty white and dirty yellow. The colors have stuck and most people don't even know the school colors are silver and gold.

On May 28, 1981, black was curiously replaced by "Sky Blue" by a mandate of the CU Board of Regents, to represent the color of the Colorado sky.[6][1] However, this color was different than the blue uniforms of the U.S. Air Force Academy. After three years, the blue was changed in 1984 to a darker shade, though still unpopular. In black and white photographs the players' numbers are nearly invisible. During a difficult 1-10 season, football head coach Bill McCartney employed black "throwback" jerseys for an emotional lift for the games against Oklahoma and Nebraska, without success.

In April 1985, the CU athletic teams were given the option of blue or black. The football team chose to wear black, and at Folsom Field the background for the signature "Colorado" arc (at the base of the seats behind the south end zone), blue for four years, was repainted black as well. On the football uniforms, the blue was reduced to a stripe on the sleeve for three seasons (1985-87) before being dropped completely in 1988. In 2007, CU debuted new football jerseys that reintegrated silver as a uniform color. [1]
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Dear lord, those were hideous. Thanks for dredging up some long-suppressed memories, Sky.

Wikipedia wrote:The official school colors are silver and gold, adopted in 1888 as a symbol of the mineral wealth of the state. In 1959, the athletic teams started using black and yellow because silver and gold ended up looking like dirty white and dirty yellow. The colors have stuck and most people don't even know the school colors are silver and gold.

On May 28, 1981, black was curiously replaced by "Sky Blue" by a mandate of the CU Board of Regents, to represent the color of the Colorado sky.[6][1] However, this color was different than the blue uniforms of the U.S. Air Force Academy. After three years, the blue was changed in 1984 to a darker shade, though still unpopular. In black and white photographs the players' numbers are nearly invisible. During a difficult 1-10 season, football head coach Bill McCartney employed black "throwback" jerseys for an emotional lift for the games against Oklahoma and Nebraska, without success.

In April 1985, the CU athletic teams were given the option of blue or black. The football team chose to wear black, and at Folsom Field the background for the signature "Colorado" arc (at the base of the seats behind the south end zone), blue for four years, was repainted black as well. On the football uniforms, the blue was reduced to a stripe on the sleeve for three seasons (1985-87) before being dropped completely in 1988. In 2007, CU debuted new football jerseys that reintegrated silver as a uniform color. [1]
yeah, i was about 5 years off. makes sense though, since Mallory coached in the late 70's and then Fairbanks. i should have known better since the infamous 82-42 OU-CU game was in 81, and Fairbanks was the coach then. however, i wouldn't have guessed that it wasn't until 85 that the blue jersey was replaced--meaning some of Mac's teams wore them.

bummer. for CUfan's sake, i shudder to think about the "signature arc" in the south endzone of Folsom being blue. horrible.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

King Crimson wrote:
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Dear lord, those were hideous. Thanks for dredging up some long-suppressed memories, Sky.

yeah, i was about 5 years off. makes sense though, since Mallory coached in the late 70's and then Fairbanks. i should have known better since the infamous 82-42 OU-CU game was in 81, and Fairbanks was the coach then. however, i wouldn't have guessed that it wasn't until 85 that the blue jersey was replaced--meaning some of Mac's teams wore them.
Colorado had a home-and-home vs. ND in '83 and '84, while I was a student. I remember Colorado was wearing the blue jerseys back then.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

You think the helmets were ugly you should have seen the jerseys.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: Colorado had a home-and-home vs. ND in '83 and '84, while I was a student. I remember Colorado was wearing the blue jerseys back then.
that's what i'm saying, they wore the blues later into the 80's than i previously thought. i also thought McCartney made the switch back to black right away, which is obviously not the case.