Rich Rodriguez - great or overrated?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Rich Rodriguez - great or overrated?

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Do you consider Rich Rodriguez one of the elite coaches in the game today? I think a lot of people turn their heads from what he has been able to accomplish at WVU, which when you look at it on paper is quite remarkable, simply because the 'Neers can't play defense. Or don't care to play defense. I'm not sure which. It seems as though Rodriguez would have a greater appreciation for the defensive side of the ball, considering he played defensive back throughout college where he walked on to WVU.

My answer is yes, great coach. Obviously winning is part of what makes a coach great, and Rodriguez still has to win some big ball games. But I think another key factor is influence. This guy has pioneered an offense that is now being used and studied at multiple programs. I think that's ultimately what can really define a coach. When he has designed an offense or a defense that other teams use as a model or foundation for their own programs. Also, I think his ability to recruit players to fit his offenses to a tee is oustanding.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

I'll let you know when he gets to AA next season ala Bielein.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Stick Rodriguez on a team that can play some defense, and that's a scary thought. Although in the Big Ten, he'd likely only put up 35 a game instead of 60.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

RR has been somewhat innovative on defense, warming up the Stram Era stack defense. Last year, all kinds of coaches were visiting to see how he ran it. There is scheme, and there is gameday, though. WVU has been like warmed butter with this scheme. The WVU defense has seemed lackadaisical under RR. Nice scheme, poor execution (reflecting ultimately on the HC).

WVU doesn't get a lot of depth in place behind their starters. When Slaton and White and now Devine are tearing through defenses and scoring quickly, the defense is on the field a lot.

WVU has lost some games that they should have won under RR. Perhaps he's a coordinator in a HC's skin. I'd sure as hell want him as PSU's OC - he'd be great there.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

He's a good coach no doubt, but WVU struggles against teams that can play defense. When Slaton and White aren't the fastest guys on the field they struggle. White's passing seems to be better this season so far, but Reynaud is his only real target. WVU's D is very suspect at best.

Rodriguez has done a great job building WVU, but he does need a D to go with that offense.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

His name should be in the mix with guys like Les Miles, Weis, Saban, etc., at the very least. He built this program into a national title contender, and with that, brought schemes that are being used around the country. To me that's a bit more impressive than inheriting a powerhouse, and looking to maintain.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

In fairness to Rodriguez, I think his team's defense is at least partly a function of the situation he is in right now.

A little trip down memory lane: as recently as two years ago, many people, including the majority of this board, had the Big East all but dead and buried. The Big East has made quite a comeback since then. But none of the current Big East schools has a long tradition as a national power -- Pitt did at one time, but that pretty much ended in the early 80's. To the extent the Big East still lags behind some of the other conferences, I think that is most prevalent in terms of the depth of the talent the Big East schools attract.

As it is, the Big East has evolved into an offense-first conference, and most of the more talented players on most of the teams in that conference are on the offensive side of the ball. West Virginia is hardly the only Big East school as to whom that's true. Perhaps Rodriguez thinks that it's necessary to put his more talented players on the offensive side of the ball in order to be competitive in conference.

Of course, continued success should only improve recruiting over the long haul. I have no idea if Rodriguez plans to stay at West Virginia (although he turned down the 'Bama job, and his status as a WVU alum makes it more likely that he'll stay than otherwise might be the case), but if he does, the next 2-3 years could be telling as to his ability to coach defense.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

The D does need to improve for WV to become a legit national power but dude is an offensive genius. WV is just starting to get big-time recruits so that side of the ball should improve with the talent-upgrade. I'd likely put him in the national top10 coaches.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

He is definitely a Top 10 coach. His offense is electric.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

PSUFAN wrote:I'd sure as hell want him as PSU's OC - he'd be great there.
We'd like him as our OC as well,

-- The NFL and every other team in D1.

Mgo, I think the question of "great" depends on how many blown opportunities WVa manages. This is the highest they've been ranked, this early in the season, no? This year will tell a lot.

I'd say if they are a 1-2 loss team over the next 5 years with RR at the helm -- even without a great defense -- I'd put him in that category. He's close now, given how much fun they are to watch, as Sissyroo said.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

I've always said that NU screwed up by not hiring him. He would have been MUCH better than Callahan. I think they danced w/him a bit, but nothing materialized. They shoulda thrown the World Bank at him.

Apart from his occasional temper tantrums on the sidelines, I like RR... and frequent those tantrums were his first year as HC. He tried instilling a pass-happy offense which summarily flopped. It took him an entire year, but he eventually scrapped it, reasessed his players and each of their strengths, then changed the offense entirely the following season to what you have now. The guy is good.

NU screwed up big time.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Btw, what was the spread on this game tonight?

WV is taking the Terps apart like a Friday Night in CrownSissyCoo.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Devine gets over 100 yards on TWO rushes?

Jaysus. The weapons don't come close to ending at just Slaton and White.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Carries: 3

Ave: 41.7

Ridiculous.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Let's see what they do against a good D.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

RadioFan wrote:Carries: 3

Ave: 49
I believe that translates into a national title.

S,

da troof
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

MuchoBulls wrote:Let's see what they do against a good D.
WVU has put up points against good D's. Whether their D holds up enough to get the W is another story...
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

If WV were playing in Boise, the score would be reversed, and our new RB would have 3 TDs and a 50+yard rushing average.

Amateurs.

Sin,

Dog and Felix
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:WVU has put up points against good D's. Whether their D holds up enough to get the W is another story...
Their D is very suspect to say the least. Surprised Maryland didn't try to throw more.

We've held WVU pretty well both times we've played them. Slaton has done nothing against us. Our D is looking stronger this season. I am more worried about Devine after seeing what he has done the last couple of games.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Ahhh yes, I almost forgot your boys' win over WVU last year. I do remember WVU running it up pretty good on Rutgers last year, and that second half comeback against Georgia two bowl seasons ago was quite impressive as well.

The fact I have to extend the discussion back to '05 probably doesn't bode well for WVU though.
A.C. Crut
Elwood

Post by A.C. Crut »

Great recruiter for sure, he's got some serious speed on his team.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

I have Devine on my fantasy-squad, fucker came two freaking yards away from twelve more points for me. But the kid is definitely electric, Rodriquez has to get him on the field more. I don't care if they do have Slaton you gotta get this kid some legit reps.

You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?