Alford has to go to 'TheJON'

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Buried_Nick
You can't spell scUM, without UM

Alford has to go to 'TheJON'

Post by Buried_Nick »

I seea win in Chicago, and Iowa's in.
You heard it here first.
ND looses it's way into the NIT, by getting handled
rather easily by Pitt, on ND's home court.
Minn. is behind Iowa in more than a few categories
in the power rankings. The Hawks split with Minn this year.
The Hawks have done far better on neutral sites (2-1) and Non-conference power ranking wins (12-1; 8th nationally)

http://www.teamrankings.com

I think Iowa gets in over a ND or a A&M, anyday.
5 teams from the big ten? Seems logical.
(As long as a bunch of #1 seeds in conf. tourneys win), I
believe Iowa gets in.

A possible 20-11 record, or better, who knows? = Good enough.
(same for the Gohers, also. They need one W in Chicago too.)
Poptart, the tard slapper wrote:Don't ya think you could at least sit the boys down for a day or two and talk to 'em about rubbin' one out...?
:lol:
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Every one of your takes comes form 'TheJON'
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Will this prediction be as good as your Oklahoma 3-8 prediction?
Buried_Nick

Post by Buried_Nick »

Rack Fu wrote:Will this prediction be as good as your Oklahoma 3-8 prediction?
:mrgreen: Close.

(Hawks may have to win on Fri. night also.)
MisterTwister
Crack Whore

Post by MisterTwister »

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Iowa were to make the NCAA tourney, they would be the first at large team with a losing conference record to do so.

Me, I just don't see it happening. Not when you consider every win over top 25 teams has been with PP and now they no longer have him.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I think we need to AT LEAST win 2 games in the tourney.

If Iowa goes 20-11 and ISU goes 18-11 and ISU gets in, but not Iowa, that would be just fucking ridiculous.

Iowa 70
ISU 63

Quality wins

Iowa: IOWA STATE, Northern Iowa, Texas, Texas Tech, Louisville, Minnesota, Ohio State, Indiana, Air Force

ISU: Kansas, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma

Bad Losses

Iowa: Michigan, Purdue, Northwestern

ISU: Missouri, Colorado, Xavier, Kansas State, Nebraska

Conference Record

Iowa: 7-9

ISU: 9-7

ISU's quality wins aren't as good as people are giving them credit for. Kansas is overrated, I've said it all along. Kansas IS NOT a Top 15 team. Texas played without half of their team. Iowa beat Texas with a full roster. Iowa beat Texas Tech by 30 on a neutral court, which is more points than ISU beat them by at home. Iowa also beat Northern Iowa, a team that ass raped ISU. And, of course, Iowa beat Iowa State.

The fact of the matter is Iowa State has a 17-10 record overall and ONLY 4 of those wins were against teams that aren't downright pitiful. 4 fucking wins against teams with a pulse with a 17-10 should equal an NIT bid. Especially when you factor in that they have a ton of bad losses- 2 of them were even at home.

I'll have no respect for the NCAA selection committee, headed by Iowa AD and local idiot Bob Bowlsby, if ISU gets to the tournament instead of Iowa.
Ruff
Elwood

Post by Ruff »

Keerist Jon, re-read that post you put all that time into and tell me it wouldn't justify the cyclones ahead of the hawks. Conf. record (and ISU played a tougher conf. schedule), quality wins vs. bad losses are you kidding?? very much in favor of the cyclones.

Of course it really is moot, as both teams are headed for the 3-letter tourney.
MisterTwister
Crack Whore

Post by MisterTwister »

Here's why ISU would get in over Iowa.

9-7 in conference vs. 7-9
Road wins at then #2 Kansas and ranked Texas. Also wins against ranked Oklahoma and Texas Tech. Remind me when the last time Iowa beat anyone ranked or winning record?

Oh yeah, let's not forget that most of Iowa's quality wins came with a certain player no longer with the team.

I have to hand it to Iowa, they took care of business in the OOC portion of their schedule but they can't expect to coast into the NCAAs.

Jon, you're just bent because ISU played their way into the tourney and Iowa's played their way out. Wasn't it you who once said that it doesn't matter how you start the season, it only matters how you finish and good teams finish strong.
Buried_Nick

Post by Buried_Nick »

Jeesus H Christ people! Northern Iowa is a damn good team. Fuggin Tx Tech!? - WTF! And All Louisville did is win one of the most under rated conferences today, OUTRIGHT. I'd CERTAINLY call a win over the Cards bigger than an overblown KU team. Any day! And lets not forget OSU, who just beat #1 Ill. and even Tej'as was a solid top 25 team earlier this season.

Get OFF it. Iowa over ISU ANY day of the year!
They beat'em heads up, too!

And this disengenuos bullshit about no PP anymore. That is such bullshit! That's like saying, OH- May of UNC just broke his leg! Welp! - There went their #1 seed! -- Uh, NO.

Your record, is your record. No matter who's playing now, or who's hurt.

If a team like ISU or ND or Maryland or Va. Tech is getting props, then dammit! so should Iowa. Fuck, they're 12-1 non-conference, and have a power ranking of #8 Nationally to go with that! How the F are you gonna punish them for playing in a slightly subpar conference? Oh, so the Purdue loss kept them from being .500 in conf. So big shits! It's not like Iowa hasn't had a bunch of other great wins.

I say the Big-10 Dancers go like this:

Ill.
MSU
Wisc.
Iowa
Minn.
(Maybe) IU - If they win at least one, maybe need two in Chicago. Hell, I respect IU scheddy and wins before I would ISU's!

In that order. I'd even not care if they upset us in the fri. afternoon game in Chicago! So what!?, MSU has the #3 seed sewn up! We're ranked 10th in the bullshit writers poll, and even higher in the coaches!
We ain't dropping anywhere but a spot or so, if Iowa beats us. Izzo would be doing Alford a huge favor, at no cost to us.
Poptart, the tard slapper wrote:Don't ya think you could at least sit the boys down for a day or two and talk to 'em about rubbin' one out...?
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Again Babs, I'll repeat. No team from the Big 10 has ever been left out if they have won 10 confrence games.
MisterTwister
Crack Whore

Post by MisterTwister »

If the season ended in December, I'd have to agree with you. But unfortunately for the Hawkeyes they had to play until March.

One of the biggest detriments to Iowa's cause this year will be the presence of Bob Bowlsby, the Iowa AD, on the selection committee. Even though he excuses himself when they talk about Iowa's fate, it will be hard not to avoid talk of favoritism if Indiana or Minnesota is left out and Iowa gets in.

Iowa needs to win 2 in Chicago to go dancing and with the history of this team, I wouldn't be suprised to see them win it all only to lose their first round game in the NCAAs.

and btw, I would flat out take ISU over Iowa, Indiana, or Minnesota anyday. Obviously you haven't seen them play. The team that lost by 7 in Iowa City and the team that won 10 of their last 12 are not the same.
Buried_Nick

Post by Buried_Nick »

Well, Kills; this will be a first then. IU will lose it's BTT opener to Minn.

also, per espn:
Four bids look almost certain with Gophers' 10 league wins. Does IU's 10 make it five? Hoosiers have one of the most interesting profiles in the country. How about surging Iowa? Back in the mix.

(Note: Ohio State is ineligible for this year's NCAA Tournament.)

Minnesota [20-9 (10-6), RPI: 46, SOS: 72] In typical fashion, Gophers hold off Penn State for possible bid-clinching W. 10-6 in league is probably enough for a bid, barring some disaster scenario during Championship Week (read: bad first-round loss and lots of small school upsets).

Iowa [19-10 (7-9), RPI: 51, SOS: 57] Look who's back in the mix after three straight W's to close the regular season. Yes, Hawkeyes finished under .500 in a weaker Big Ten, but they have a host of big non-conference wins (Louisville-N, Texas-N, Texas Tech-N, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Air Force) to fall back on. May have played Illinois tougher than anyone (twice).

Indiana [15-12 (10-6), RPI: 66, SOS: 18 ) Ripped N'western to finish with 10 league wins after just missing at Wisconsin. Will buzzer-beater L's vs. Charlotte and Badgers send IU to NIT? Definitely looks NCAA-worthy on recent form, and history shows 10 Big Ten wins virtually a 100 percent lock for a bid. Very interesting Big Ten tourney opener against Minnesota on tap. Win that and how can you keep IU out?
Dude assumes a bit much. IF IU wins their 1st game, I'd look for them to grab up Iowa's bid. UNLESS Izzo likes Alford more than that raving lunatic, Davis, and pulls the reigns back and gives Iowa a gift in the 2nd round Fri. night. Then, Iowa's back in.

Hey, maybe as the 6th team! Huh?

This IU - Minn. game will have championship atmosphere, if I ever saw it.

ND is done, if IU wins it. You should be hoping ALL the faves win early in this weeks games, dude.

You thinkin like Digger? is ND in?
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Ruff,

Actually, ISU does have fewer quality wins and more bad losses than Iowa. Look up the schedules.

Twister,

I agree, it is more important to finish strong. Iowa won their final 3 games of the season. Losing to Nebraska and Texas A&M towards the end of the season is finishing strong? Who cares if Pierce was on the team when most of our quality wins happened? Pierce was on the team when we lost to Michigan and N'Western also. We were 3-4 in the Big-10 with him and 4-5 without him.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

TheJON wrote:We were 3-4 in the Big-10 with him and 4-5 without him.
=7-9=NIT.

Enjoy.

prolly seeya there.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Babs, as I've stated many times before, I don't give two shits about ND's basketball team. Yeah, I hope they win but if they don't I really don't give a fuck. I come in here during the football off season because there is more activity.

Will they make the NCAA this year? Doubtfull. Unless Falls stays real hot and they learn how to run an offense and they run off 2 wins in the BE tournament. Will I lose sleep over it? Nope.
MisterTwister
Crack Whore

Post by MisterTwister »

So losing to Nebraska (14-13) and A&M (19-8) is bad but beating Michigan (13-17) and Penn State (8-22) is good?

7-9, no wins against ranked opponents

9-7, 4 wins against ranked opponents

And as much as Iowafan likes to think PP doesn't mean much to the team, do you think you could have beat Texas, Lousiville, UNI,Texas Tech, hell even ISU without him?

Face, Iowa has been on a decent since December and padding the record with wins against Penn State, Michigan, and Purdue isn't going to impress the committee. Both Minnesota and Indiana finished above .500 in conference and deserve to go to the dance before Iowa and the B10 sure as hell doesn't deserve 7 teams.

I admit, ISU has some horrible loses and most years I would say at 17-10 they don't deserve it, and I won't be disappointed if they don't get in. I would consider it justice for their poor play in the OOC and beginning of the B12. But they are playing as really strong (despite the Neb and A&M loses) and should they win two in the B12 deserve to be in the dance.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

MisterTwister wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but if Iowa were to make the NCAA tourney, they would be the first at large team with a losing conference record to do so.
You're wrong, happens all the time including last year.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

As for Iowa's chances, I think they do have an outside shot. If they were to win 2 BTT games one would be against MSU. That'd be another quality win added to their resume. The rapist factor, errr, Pierce factor then comes into play which actually helps Iowa. They were off to a great start with him including huge W's over Texas (at 100%) and Louisville on neutral courts and a drubbing of Texas Tech. Then they hit the wall, but they've been playing better of late. A couple BTT wins and they may be viewed as a team that was tourney worthy early, struggled when they lost their top scorer, but has rebounded and learned to play well without him.

Between the 3 bubble B10 teams, Iowa actually has the better overall resume. They win 2 in the BTT and IMO the Big 10 has a shot at 5 bids. The IU/Minnesota game is turning into a virtual playin game, although I'm of the opinion IU would still need a W over the Illini to get in.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."