Coastal slobs are some lazy, selfish bastiches

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Coastal slobs are some lazy, selfish bastiches

Post by War Wagon »

Not surprising, really

I suppose you coastal slitches are too busy enjoying your superior quality of life and wouldn't have the time to help out a neighbor, while us flyover residents just don't have anything better to do.
The study said several demographic and social factors appear to contribute to higher volunteer rates:

_Short commutes to work, which provide more time to volunteer.

_Home ownership, which promotes attachment to the community.

_High education levels, which increase civic involvement.
Hmmm... and what conclusions can be reached from these observations?

1. Coastal residents spend too much time commuting back and forth to work.

2. You rent your apartment, because not many can afford to actually buy a home in an outlandishly overpriced market.

3. Most of you are lucky if you graduated from High School.

Yep, that about sums it up. So the next time any of you slacking coasters want to run smack on us Midwesterners, just save it. We're better than you, capiche?
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

Someone much smarter than War Wagon once wrote...

"Location is everything"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Sue me, been awful slow lately. Calling out 2/3rds of the country ought to ruffle some indignant feathers.

Besides, what's cooler than a geography war?

You're a lazy, selfish bastard, Y2K... just admit it.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

War Wagon wrote:Sue me, been awful slow lately.
I'd wager "slow" has been appearing on your evaluations since "naptime followed by cookies and milk consumption" was your afternoon job.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Re: Coastal slobs are some lazy, selfish bastiches

Post by Y2K »

R-Jack wrote:Kinda hard to not volunteer when you live in an entire state of fuckin charity cases.
They are sorely lacking in the talent it takes to get or loan enough of the free Guvment money it takes to spend 3+ glorious hours in a car seat or spending obscene cash or using credit for the ultimate "Terra-Bode." If they get "smart" they'll import more Illegal's and various "Socially Deprived" type baggage so they can fork out more freedoms and money to let the Guvment handle those "off the fastest route to work" type folk. Granted you'll have more time to actually notice and give a damn about what is happening everywhere in the community around you......
but unfortunately you still that year left with XM radio, the ungodly Cellphone Bill and an 8 year commitment on the BMW.

Volunteer means it's YOUR week to take that "family leave time" when the Team Mother says it's your turn to bring snacks to your kids game or a dreaded "Parent/Teacher Conference at that "shit" public school that obviously needs more Tax and Bond Money so they can "get it right" without your help.

The Midwest Folk completely dropped the ball on the Katrina Crisis and let Houston get major scoreboard.

Talk about being naive and stupid, all they wanted to do was commute there temporarily for fast cash and come back home .....
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

War Wagon wrote:Not surprising, really

I suppose you coastal slitches are too busy enjoying your superior quality of life and wouldn't have the time to help out a neighbor, while us flyover residents just don't have anything better to do.
The study said several demographic and social factors appear to contribute to higher volunteer rates:

_Short commutes to work, which provide more time to volunteer.

_Home ownership, which promotes attachment to the community.

_High education levels, which increase civic involvement.
Hmmm... and what conclusions can be reached from these observations?

2. You rent your apartment, because not many can afford to actually buy a home in an outlandishly overpriced market.

Yep, that about sums it up. So the next time any of you slacking coasters want to run smack on us Midwesterners, just save it. We're better than you, capiche?
Just so I got everything straight in my head...

You drive a forklift for a living, right? You're the last person to be casting the "we're better than you" stone. I'd take renting an apartment by the beach over your life any day. That's just me.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Talk about being naive and stupid,
What do you want from them, man? If you quaffed urine Lite by the swollen bladderload, you'd have some issues too...
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

War Wagon wrote:You rent your apartment, because not many can afford to actually buy a home in an outlandishly overpriced market.

Define "overpriced"?

I think there's a good, solid reason why it's cheaper to live in the Midwest than it is to live in civilization.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

The market is a lot more overpriced now than it was when I bought my house.

BODE me.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Mikey wrote:The market is a lot more overpriced now than it was when I bought my house.

BODE me.
And your house would not sell at the current overpriced market.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

trev wrote:
Mikey wrote:The market is a lot more overpriced now than it was when I bought my house.

BODE me.
Guess what, iodot, the "current market" is what it would sell for. Or didn't you get 3rd grade economics?

It's not on the market anyway, but if it was it would sell for a lot more than I paid for it. Maybe not as much as last year, but who cares?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote: It's not on the market anyway, but if it was it would sell for a lot more than I paid for it. Maybe not as much as last year, but who cares?

Ya'know, in this "housing boom," particularly on the West Coast, this kinda nails it, don't it?

If you're not planning on selling, and you haven't overextended credit based on overinflated "equity" due to a price spike, who really gives a shit?
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I didn't say you wouldn't make a profit on what you paid for it, dickweed. I said it would not sell right now. The price is going down as we speak and there is zero demand for a house like yours at the current market prices.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

War Wagon wrote:
Only during March, July, and August when every midwestern redneck is clogging up my road driving 20 MPH pointing at water like they have never seen an ocean, lake, or river before in their lives... "Ohhhhhhhhh mommy the the water is crystal clear with a green tint, look look look..."
I own my own home, it's less than a mile from the coast, 1,800+ sf, three bed two and a half bath. Thanks though...
Yeah I've been to Missouri, You can post until you're bluue in the face and you'll never convince me that the people out there are more intelligent than the people who live out here...
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

trev wrote:I didn't say you wouldn't make a profit on what you paid for it, dickweed. I said it would not sell right now. The price is going down as we speak and there is zero demand for a house like yours at the current market prices.
I guess you just don't understand what the term "current market price" means.
It's a pretty simple concept, but oh well.

Who would have ever thunk it?

:meds:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'll ponder this topic more on wednesday... when I make the short drive to the coast and escape the triple-digit heat and go catch a mess of seabass while leasurely drinking brewdogs in the soothing 70-degree air and cool ocean mist...

And I'm sure I'll be bitching about the high cost of living here the entire time... for sure.
Risa
nubian napalm - numidian princess

Post by Risa »

Dinsdale wrote:
War Wagon wrote:You rent your apartment, because not many can afford to actually buy a home in an outlandishly overpriced market.

Define "overpriced"?

I think there's a good, solid reason why it's cheaper to live in the Midwest than it is to live in civilization.
Overpriced = AOL Time-Warner stocks at $80/share in 2000. Not because of 2001,
but because of shoddy accounting practices by both companies.

Overpriced in hindsight = real estate in Pahrump, NV; and around that weird little manmade salt lake in California.

You're right, 'overpriced' is in the eye of the beholder. If you can afford it, and afford it easily, it's not overpriced for you. If you're trying to game the market by pulling flipping games without knowing what you're doing and always seeking the top of the crest instead of taking advantage of the bottom of the crest, everything is overpriced. In another example, the garage apartment rented to the two Stanford students who found Google is 'overpriced' at over $1000/month for the rest of us in the 'real world.' In Cali, that's reasonable and affordable. Then again, even a fleabag $200/week motel is a year's pay for too many in the world.

If there's a tech or resource boom that makes Montana the gotta-be place to live, then Montana will see California prices. It's all about where people want to be, and what they're willing to pay to be there.

California's overpricing isn't helped by illegals and the unscrupulous real estate agents who sell to them.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Risa wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

Define "overpriced"?

Overpriced = AOL Time-Warner stocks at $80/share in 2000. Not because of 2001,
but because of shoddy accounting practices by both companies.

Overpriced in hindsight = real estate in Pahrump, NV; and around that weird little manmade salt lake in California.

You're right, 'overpriced' is in the eye of the beholder. If you can afford it, and afford it easily, it's not overpriced for you. If you're trying to game the market by pulling flipping games without knowing what you're doing and always seeking the top of the crest instead of taking advantage of the bottom of the crest, everything is overpriced. In another example, the garage apartment rented to the two Stanford students who found Google is 'overpriced' at over $1000/month for the rest of us in the 'real world.' In Cali, that's reasonable and affordable. Then again, even a fleabag $200/week motel is a year's pay for too many in the world.

If there's a tech or resource boom that makes Montana the gotta-be place to live, then Montana will see California prices. It's all about where people want to be, and what they're willing to pay to be there.

California's overpricing isn't helped by illegals and the unscrupulous real estate agents who sell to them.
For those of you who have no understanding of real estate there is no such thing as over priced. Just like in everything else the market sets the price. What the majority of people are willing to pay at any given time is what it is worth. It's the first rule of Real Estate and something I have to deal with each and every day at my job. The people in the market set the market!!!
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Mikey wrote:
trev wrote:I didn't say you wouldn't make a profit on what you paid for it, dickweed. I said it would not sell right now. The price is going down as we speak and there is zero demand for a house like yours at the current market prices.

Mikey, admit your house would not sell right now.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

mvscal wrote:
Just shut up
No.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

trev wrote:
mvscal wrote:
Just shut up
No.
Is this one of those "no means yes" deals?

I mean, it looks like he did shut you the hell up, other than a witless, three keystroke response, you halfwit ninny.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

PSUFAN wrote:
trev wrote:
mvscal wrote:
Just shut up
No.
Is this one of those "no means yes" deals?

I mean, it looks like he did shut you the hell up, other than a witless, three keystroke response, you halfwit ninny.
No slick, I don't see a response from him yet.
Risa
nubian napalm - numidian princess

Post by Risa »

SunCoastSooner wrote:For those of you who have no understanding of real estate there is no such thing as over priced. Just like in everything else the market sets the price. What the majority of people are willing to pay at any given time is what it is worth. It's the first rule of Real Estate and something I have to deal with each and every day at my job. The people in the market set the market!!!
Exactly.... unless one runs up against strategic pricing to keep people OUT of an area; or what happened in Texas regarding the record number of defaults on manufacturered housing at usury rates. Unfair pricing practices are real. Besides, just because you're willing to pay $50 for a pog, doesn't mean the pog is worth $50... even to you.

Or maybe the bigger issue isn't the price of real estate, it's the interest on loans one has to take out in order to acquire that real estate. You're a real estate agent? What's going on with that?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

trev wrote: Mikey, admit your house would not sell right now.

Just going off the pics Mikey has posted...

Yeah, I'm sure his nice house in the hills with some view, a nicely landscaped yard, and a pool and spa and whatnot would never sell in a million years. I mean, I doubt he could find anyone looking for a house like that. I mean, nobody wants anything to do with a nice house in a peaceful neighborhood with nice surroundings... those never sell.

Trev, you have about as good a grasp on real estate and supply/demand on th whole as you do about... well, life in general, actually.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

trev wrote:
Mikey wrote:

Mikey, admit your house would not sell right now.
If I priced it at the "current market price", it would sell.

That's the definition of the term "current market price". Is that so hard for you to fathom?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:

Yeah, I'm sure his nice house in the hills with some view, a nicely landscaped yard, and a pool and spa and whatnot would never sell in a million years. I mean, I doubt he could find anyone looking for a house like that. I mean, nobody wants anything to do with a nice house in a peaceful neighborhood with nice surroundings... those never sell.
But it's not near the beach.

:sad:
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Mikey wrote:
trev wrote:

BODE me.
Guess what, iodot, the "current market" is what it would sell for. Or didn't you get 3rd grade economics?

It's not on the market anyway, but if it was it would sell for a lot more than I paid for it. Maybe not as much as last year, but who cares?
I'm guessing she means it wouldn't sell because it's a fucking dump.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, well if the OL would vacuum and dust once a month or so it would sell in a flash.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Risa wrote:Or maybe the bigger issue isn't the price of real estate, it's the interest on loans one has to take out in order to acquire that real estate. You're a real estate agent? What's going on with that?
Around here, the rates are about 6.5-6.75% for 30 years. Historically speaking, that’s not a bad rate at all. You ignorant, tedious cunt.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
Mikey wrote:If I priced it at the "current market price", it would sell.

That's the definition of the term "current market price". Is that so hard for you to fathom?
No, no. She means it wouldn't sell at last year's current market price.
Oh OK. Now I get it. Last year's current market price is THE current market price.
My bad, I'm just not with it today.
Capt. Sig
Crack Whore

Post by Capt. Sig »

Goober McTuber wrote: You ignorant, tedious cunt.
Wow man. That kind of talk even makes me blush a little.

Wow man.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Dinsdale wrote:

Trev, you have about as good a grasp on real estate and supply/demand on th whole as you do about... well, life in general, actually.
If there was a buyer willing to pay what Mikey was asking, there's a chance they wouldn't want a pool. Pools don't sell houses. The market is saturated with homes like his for sale. If he had new kitchen and baths he might have a chance in selling. Not likely right now.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So, the conclusion we're coming to is that a house sells for what the market will bear, based on supply/demand in that particular market?

Man, that's some cutting-edge stuff, right there. I'll have to ponder this...
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Capt. Sig wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote: You ignorant, tedious cunt.
Wow man. That kind of talk even makes me blush a little.

Wow man.
Hey Sig, you look just a little bit cross-eyed.

BTW, it must get lonely out there on the ocean. Probably a “What happens on the Bering Sea stays on the Bering Sea” thing going on. I’m sure you catch a lot of those I’llfeelyouup crabs
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

mvscal wrote:Is that what your Mexican gardner told you before he grunted and shot his load down your gullet?
Don't be coy. Tell the people how wet I felt.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

trev wrote: If there was a buyer willing to pay what Mikey was asking
Are you insinuating that if he wanted to sell(which he's made it quite clear he doesn't), Mikey would likely price his house at a rate that's dictated by comparable properties in the area?

Man, move over, EF Hutton -- there's a new sheriff in Financetown.

there's a chance they wouldn't want a pool. Pools don't sell houses. The market is saturated with homes like his for sale. If he had new kitchen and baths he might have a chance in selling.

So... then if the prospective buyer has some issues with the property they're considering, they will then enter the negotiation phase, and try and negotiate allowances for things like kitchen and bath remodels, and costs for filling in a swimming pool?

Wow, you should open your own real estate brokerage, Trev... you're quite the financial-savant.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

I was going to do some charity work.

But then the compelling arguments of Terry and Bri in the other thread convinced me that charity is the government's job.

So instead, I'm having a beer.
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
Luther
Old Coot

Post by Luther »

I bought my house back in '91 for $127K. James my neighbor got so fed up with the noises coming from the Autistic group home that he sold his house in one day. His house is smaller than mine, has a much smaller yard...and he got $369K. That is triple turnover in 16 years.

If the Corky's get worse I could see selling my house and moving into a double wide at the coast. Get one that has an awning and a nice patio. It would be great too if I could find one that is walking distance to the liquor store.

But in reality, I'll probably be playing shuffleboard with Mace in some assisted living place in Iowa. My Alzheimer's will have progressed so it is so bad that every day I'd look over at Mace and say, "How you doin', are you new here?"

Rip City
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mike the Lab Rat wrote:I was going to do some charity work.
Mr. Fabulous wrote:I was watching TV last night and an ad came on for hungry kids. There was this puffy lady who was crying a little bit. She said that for just 87 cents, the price of a cup of coffee a day, you can feed a hungry child in a 3rd world country. Wow. That got me thinking... I should really drink more coffee, it's so cheap.
Of course, you can pick the kid you want to feed and then they send you letters and stuff. I think that's bullshit cuz everybody knows that people are going to want to feed the cutest kid. And lets face it, most children are ugly. Plus starvation doesn't make you any prettier, despite what the fashion media tells you. So there is probably only one cute, doe eyed kid per village in most cases, and that is the kid that everyone is going to want to sponsor. So then you've got this whole village full of starving people with one cute, morbidly obese kid waddling around. Then one day a letter arrives for all of those people sponsoring that one kid that says: We regret to inform you that the child you were sponsoring was eaten by a bunch of hungry ugly children. Drinking coffee saves lives and prevents cannibalism.
There's a good chance that I am wrong about all this.

I did charity work last night. They have this huge Blues Festival, the proceeds from which go to the Oregon Food Bank, which feeds hungry poor people. And let me tell you -- sitting around backstage and catching a nice buzz while hobnobbing and whatsuch with touring musicians was a pretty rough gig. You should have seen me spring into action when that 5 year old girl tried to breech security, and get under/behind the stage -- I'll spare you the messy details, but just let it be known that little terrorist-wannabe little girl won't be trying to come into MY HOUSE again this year... we take our backstage security pretty seriously around here.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Risa wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:For those of you who have no understanding of real estate there is no such thing as over priced. Just like in everything else the market sets the price. What the majority of people are willing to pay at any given time is what it is worth. It's the first rule of Real Estate and something I have to deal with each and every day at my job. The people in the market set the market!!!
Exactly.... unless one runs up against strategic pricing to keep people OUT of an area; or what happened in Texas regarding the record number of defaults on manufacturered housing at usury rates. Unfair pricing practices are real. Besides, just because you're willing to pay $50 for a pog, doesn't mean the pog is worth $50... even to you.

Or maybe the bigger issue isn't the price of real estate, it's the interest on loans one has to take out in order to acquire that real estate. You're a real estate agent? What's going on with that?
I'm an appraiser but yes the interest rates have been a problem. 2nd Mortgages especially.

A bigger problem has been loan agents for finacial institutions in the residential market though. Personally I am a commercial appraiser for the very reasons that are the problem with residential real estate right now. Too many loan officers make a commision on their loans at the residential level. These peons, who about 50% of the time have little more than a high school diploma, are not really worried about the true value of a property but getting a number at appraisel time that would make sure their loan would go through wheather it was a good decsion for the institution or not. They make contacts with residential appraisers that will make sure they get the number they "need". All it takes is three or four recent sales at the residential level to drastically change the market value of an entire neighborhood, sub-division, or market area. As a residential appraiser you can either decide to play ball with the loan officers or go bankrupt because you won't be getting any engagement letters from finacial institutions no matter how low you bid the job if they know there is a even a slight chance that their precious commision won't come through after the loan gets shot to shit based on your evaluation. This has caused a lot of inflated prices across the country. The Feds started trying to regulate these practices after the S&L issues in the late 80s but in reality they have done little to stop the problem only limit those able to commit the act.

When I first got into my career I was young and idealistic and I wouldn't play ball with the residential folks. It hurt me in the short term but in the long term I think it helped me as far as getting commercial work as soon as I was qualified to do it. A Bank can eat a $300,000 bad loan a hell of a lot easier than it can a $30,000,000 bad loan. My former boss at the time also lauded me as one of those types and he is a heavy hitter not only in the local area but nationally as the one of the foremost minds in divided partial interest appraisels (something I specialize in and have had articles in periodicals published in written by myself now as well). My father and I are on our own now but whatever work in the field that our former boss isn't able to take in he now refers to me. Hopefully when he retires here in the next couple of years (or even months possibly) I will be considered the top dog in the area as far as divided partial is concerned. Working in the commercial range of the market I appreciate the fact that the instituitions I do work for expect a good job and not a #. Virtually all residential property in the country is a little over valued right now because of the boom and the need that loan officers have felt to garner their commisions. I think it only got worse the last two years because of the leveling out of new home purchases across the country and across the demographical ranges as these same loan officers tried to maintain the level of income or annual increase in income they had become accustom to, and even counted on from a personal financial stand point, the previous 8 years.