Top 10 most polluted U.S. cities

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Top 10 most polluted U.S. cities

Post by War Wagon »

Props to LA for once again claiming the title of having the most polluted air in the country and to California in general for placing 3 in the Top 10. You guys rule. Nice to see the 314 making the grade also.

------------------------------------------------------

NOAKI SCHWARTZ, Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 40 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles can continue being the butt of smog jokes now that it has once again topped the American Lung Association's bad air list of most polluted cities in America.

The association found that the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside metropolitan area had the worst air based on 2003 through 2005 figures.

The Pittsburgh area was ranked as the nation's second most polluted metropolitan area followed by Bakersfield, Calif., Birmingham, Ala., Detroit and Cleveland. Visalia, Calif., Cincinnati, Indianapolis and St. Louis rounded out the top 10.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

The Pittsburgh area was ranked as the nation's second most polluted metropolitan area followed by Bakersfield, Calif., Birmingham, Ala., Detroit and Cleveland. Visalia, Calif., Cincinnati, Indianapolis and St. Louis rounded out the top 10.
FUCK!!!

Look, NOAKI...PGH is #2 in PARTICLES, not pollution.

PARTICLES, BITCH

http://www.citymayors.com/environment/p ... ities.html
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

PSUFAN wrote:
FUCK!!!

Look, NOAKI...PGH is #2 in PARTICLES, not pollution.

PARTICLES, BITCH

http://www.citymayors.com/environment/p ... ities.html
Particles? We talkin bout particles?

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

To be fair to LA, their numbers get skewed a bit because Riverside and San Bernardino are included in the mix. Both are a good 60 miles from LA and both have much worse air that the LA metropolitan area.

I doubt there's any other city on the list that is grouped in with other cities that far away.

It's rigged, I tell you. Rigged!
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Dins claiming U&L BODE for Portland, OR as the "Greenest" US city in 3...2...1...
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

OCmike wrote:To be fair to LA, their numbers get skewed a bit because Riverside and San Bernardino are included in the mix. Both are a good 60 miles from LA and both have much worse air that the LA metropolitan area.

I doubt there's any other city on the list that is grouped in with other cities that far away.

It's rigged, I tell you. Rigged!
Thing is most of the shit in Riverside and San Berdoo gets blown straight in from LA.

I just thank God and gØd every day for Camp Pendleton and the Santa Ana mountains.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Dins claiming U&L BODE for Portland, OR as the "Greenest" US city in 3...2...1...
I beat him to it, cause yes, this is a topic where the UL gets bode. However, weather patters are certaintly as much of a factor as lifestyle in keeping our air fresh. The cold Pacifc air and Jetstream act like a giant fan and just blow all the crap away.
Rootbeer

Post by Rootbeer »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Dins claiming U&L BODE for Portland, OR as the "Greenest" US city in 3...2...1...
I beat him to it, cause yes, this is a topic where the UL gets bode. However, weather patters are certaintly as much of a factor as lifestyle in keeping our air fresh. The cold Pacifc air and Jetstream act like a giant fan and just blow all the crap away.
Or it drops to the ground in the form of mist/rain 250 days per year and you get to drink it. Bode=you.
Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

To get from Long Beach to Riverside, you have to go through Orange County, North OC but still OC. I dont get why they dont just list Riverside/San Bernardino seperate from LA, even though all the smog in those cities is blown in from LA and trapped by the mountains that seperate the Inland Empire from the low and high deserts.
Seems that they were trying to make LA look the worst by adding cities 40-60 miles away from LA
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:The cold Pacifc air and Jetstream act like a giant fan and just blow all the crap away.

Except on those days where the breeze stops blowing(frequent in summer, not too common the rest of the year, but possible), when "the bowl" of Portland becomes a dark brown cloud, which can extend from Gresham to Hillsburrito. Then, there's late summer, when heaven forbid a little breeze comes from inland, and all of the smoke from the fires on the Dryside hang over.

Definitely an all-or-nothing deal, though.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

..............it's Bush's fault.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

kind of odd that LA would produce so much smog since there is no industry in LA anymore. Firestone Tire and Rubber, Bethleham Steel, Kaiser Steel... all gone
Funny that Los Angeles was also just ranked the county with the most Millionares almost 2 to 1 over the next closest county. and 4 of the top 6 counties were in California, 3 in the south, 1 up north
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

SoCalTrjn wrote:Funny that Los Angeles was also just ranked the county with the most Millionares

Wow, aren't you just a statistical genius?

For the Bonus Question, what other superlative distinction does Los Angeles hold among US counties, Einstein?

Do you actually put effort into being this fucking stupid, Toejam?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

SoCalTrjn wrote:kind of odd that LA would produce so much smog since there is no industry in LA anymore.
Oh, i dunno if it's that odd. Might have something to do with having 6 million fucking cars spewing exhaust on the freeways, but that's just a hunch from somebody who's 2,000 miles away.

I'm sure you have a much better grasp on the situation.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

i wonder if akron gets lumped in with Cleveland....
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

War Wagon wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:kind of odd that LA would produce so much smog since there is no industry in LA anymore.
Oh, i dunno if it's that odd. Might have something to do with having 6 million fucking cars spewing exhaust on the freeways, but that's just a hunch from somebody who's 2,000 miles away.

Apparently the genius also apparently isn't aware that the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach together make the busiest port in the world with all of the resulting diesel exaust from the ships and the huge fleet of trucks that service them.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

SoCalTrjn wrote:Funny that Los Angeles was also just ranked the county with the most Millionares almost 2 to 1 over the next closest county.
Funny. A similar ratio for fucking douchebags has a stranglehold on your area.

Now there's one stat you fake plastic queens can't sell yourself short in.
Jerkovich
Please pay attention to Me

Post by Jerkovich »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:Funny that Los Angeles was also just ranked the county with the most Millionares almost 2 to 1 over the next closest county.
Funny. A similar ratio for fucking douchebags has a stranglehold on your area.

Now there's one stat you fake plastic queens can't sell yourself short in.
OK I'll have to give this a RACK. I use to live in SoCal, but there isn't a decent place to live there anymore. Hell, Pac Pal was near as good as it got, but living around those "statistical millionaire" douche bags nearly lead me to murder. :twisted:

Now the Central Coast? I live in an area where you can see 20-50 miles everyday, unless theres coastal fog. :twisted:
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

SoCalTrjn wrote:kind of odd that LA would produce so much smog since there is no industry in LA anymore. Firestone Tire and Rubber, Bethleham Steel, Kaiser Steel... all gone
Funny that Los Angeles was also just ranked the county with the most Millionares almost 2 to 1 over the next closest county. and 4 of the top 6 counties were in California, 3 in the south, 1 up north
good call. pollution is caused by industry. you get it schmick. it's those damned 18th century factories belching out black clouds.....and nothing to do with 8 lane highway life.

and thinking *you* mean something cool by association with the retarded star system is just perfect for you.

rawr cali. rawr entourage fantasies.
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

I took this at the closest beach yesterday.

Yeah, I'll pass on swimming.
Defense wins championships.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Open this link: http://www.sustainlane.us/overview.jsp

Browse the categories in the dropdown on the left, and understand why we laugh at the rest of you. That whole "nicest city" thing becomes a yacht race.
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

Props to Visalia, Calif (population about 90,000) for making the list. Am I the only one who's never even heard of this place?

http://www.city-data.com/city/Visalia-California.html
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

po dunk town between bakerstucky and fresneck, the polution must be from cow shit
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

SoCalTrjn wrote:po dunk town between bakerstucky and fresneck, the polution must be from cow shit
That pretty much nails it.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Yeah, but this is probably the biggest thing to happen to them since the local football team beat Tulare. If they've ever beaten Tulare, that is.

ImageImage
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Okay, this is a little disturbing...
According to our research there were 214 registered sex offenders living in Visalia, California in early 2007.
The ratio of number of residents in Visalia to the number of sex offenders is 508 to 1.

ImageImage
Husker4ever
Elwood

Post by Husker4ever »

War Wagon wrote:

I'm sure you have a much better grasp on the situation.[/quote

Yeah, but you won't see anyone puffing a Marlboro on the sidewalks......there's no room for second-hand smoke in the internal-combustion exhaust fume congested lungs of all those tree-huggin anti-smoking nazis sucking even more smog as they jog for good health.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Diogenes wrote:Okay, this is a little disturbing...
According to our research there were 214 registered sex offenders living in Visalia, California in early 2007.
The ratio of number of residents in Visalia to the number of sex offenders is 508 to 1.
Northern LA County (Palmdale, Lancaster) and Southern Kern County (Bakersfield, Visalia) have long been havens for child molesters, rapists and other sex predators. They get released from LA County jail, Pelican Bay or Lompoc (both of which are maximum security prisons in SoCal) and then they just register wherever, move to the high desert and melt into anonymity. One of the reasons they love that area is they can hide out and live a low profile life, but still be only an hour or so from LA when they get the urge to rape and kill a hooker.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

OCmike wrote:high desert

Always cracks me up when the calis refer to that area as "high desert." Yeah, those breathtaking 400 foot elevations is high desert, alright.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Dinsdale wrote:
OCmike wrote:high desert

Always cracks me up when the calis refer to that area as "high desert." Yeah, those breathtaking 400 foot elevations is high desert, alright.
The reason that term is used is because it's high in relation to the "low profile" lives that the registered sex offenders who dwell there live. Everything is relative.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The reason it's used, is because calis are, as a general rule, complete dunbfucks. You'd think living next door to Nevada, Arizona, and Oregon, they'd actually understand what "high desert" is, but that's not how the cali brain works.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Dinsdale wrote:The reason it's used, is because calis are, as a general rule, complete dunbfucks. You'd think living next door to Nevada, Arizona, and Oregon, they'd actually understand what "high desert" is, but that's not how the cali brain works.
Palmdale, CA: Elevation: 2659 feet

Once again, Clavinsdale opens his gaping maw and proves he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about. :lol:

Google is your friend.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Husker4ever wrote:
War Wagon wrote:

It's a hell of a lot more than 6 million cars, when you factor in all of the outlying cities in the LA Basin and Orange County. But the problem with LA isnt' just the number of cars, it's that it's located in a big bowl created by the a high, steep mountain range to the north and a slow sloping one to the east. Or, basically, it's a big wall that holds all the smog in.
Yeah, but you won't see anyone puffing a Marlboro on the sidewalks......there's no room for second-hand smoke in the internal-combustion exhaust fume congested lungs of all those tree-huggin anti-smoking nazis sucking even more smog as they jog for good health.
You're confusing SoCal with San Francisco and Berkeley. SoCal has the plastic movie star wannabes, snobby rich people and too many Mexicans. NoCal has the ultra lefties and tree hugging hippies. Try to keep your stereotypes straight.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Nice try. Except you seem to forget that I'm completely surrounded by refugees from your shithole. And if I had a dollar for every time I've heard you tards refer to Bakersfield and that region as "high desert," I could buy your state.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

^^^^^^^Still a fucking moron^^^^^^^

The High Desert refers to a region located mostly in Southern California's San Bernardino County, in the United States. It makes up the northern portion of the vast desert region of Southern California, with the Low Desert making up the southern portion.

Depending on how the boundaries of the Mojave Desert and the Sonoran Desert are drawn, the High Desert is either defined as including the entire Mojave Desert (using a smaller geographic designation for the Mojave Desert), or as including the northern portion of the Mojave Desert (using a larger geographic designation for the Mojave Desert which encroaches onto area some consider to be part of the Sonoran Desert).

The loosely defined region encompasses most of San Bernardino County, northestern Los Angeles County, and eastern Kern County. A somewhat more broadly defined boundary would also include the southern portion of Inyo County to the north of San Bernardino County, as well as parts of northern Riverside County to the south of San Bernardino County.

The name of the region comes from both its more northern latitude, in contrast with the more southerly Low Desert, as well as its relatively higher elevations compared with the Low Desert (much of which is below sea level).
Though very sparsely populated, small communities dot the region, especially along Interstate Highway 15, Interstate Highway 40, and US Highway 395, with towns like Baker having an economy that exists almost entirely to provide service for highway travelers, especially those traveling to or from Las Vegas and Southern California's major population centers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Deser ... ifornia%29

ImageImage
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Backpedalsdale wrote:Nice try. Except you seem to forget that I'm completely surrounded by refugees from your shithole. And if I had a dollar for every time I've heard you tards refer to Bakersfield and that region as "high desert," I could buy your state.
Nice try? Uh, they might have referred to Bakersfield as high desert, but I didn't. When I said "high desert", I was referring to the cities in the...wait for it..."High Desert". See I actually lived in the esteemed burg of Palmdale for two years, so unlike you, who is completely talking out your ass (as usual), I happen to know what the fuck I'm talking about.

And "you tards"? You need both hands to paint with a brush that broad? Jesus. I mean, it's not like there's 40 million people in the state of California or anything.

To save yourself future embarrassment, stick to things you actually know something about, like global warming. Oh wait, my bad...

Is there a guffaw emoticon? Maybe someone should make one.
Racer X
Curmudgeon

Post by Racer X »

Diogenes wrote:Props to Visalia, Calif (population about 90,000) for making the list. Am I the only one who's never even heard of this place?

You know, when I lived there in '85-'86 it did not seem that bad.
Has it really changed that much?
old,old,old school #33
organized religion is a cancer.
I am THE infidel, coo coo ca choo!
GO TIGERS!
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

I think dipshit has Bakersfield and Barstow confused, I dont think I have ever heard of Bakersfield being labeled as the High Desert, its more part of Kern Valley than the High Desert

High Desert
Barstow elevation is 2,142 feet
Victorville elevation is 2,875
Hesperia elevation is 2,800 - 3,600 feet
Phelan elevation is 4100 feet
Lancaster elevation is 2,500 feet
Palmdale elevation is 2659 feet
Apple Valley elevation is 2947 feet
Then you have the Low Desert
Palm Springs elevation is 450 feet
Indio elevation 50 feet below sea level
Blythe elevation is 397
El Centro elevation is 50 feet below sea level
Cathedral City elevation is 400 feet

Phoenix is 1000 feet above sea level, Las Vegas is 2000 feet above, both are lower than what those in So Cal call the High Desert.
Stupid cunts
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

The smog is bad in Riverside and San Bernardino because of the mountain ranges that seperate those cities from the high and low deserts. The on shore wind blows the smog through a channel between the Santa Ana and San Gabriel Mountains where it is trapped by the San Bernardino and San Jacinto Mountain Ranges. The 100 degree plus weather that those cities see 3 months a year acts as a lid on the smog pushing the smog to the ground. In the winter the air quality in those cities is much better as the colder night time temperature allows the smog to rise over the Mountain ranges and escape out in to the desert.
This is how the Inland Empire looks 9 months a year
and this is how it looks during the summer, looking down the same street

Here in Orange County we are lucky because the on shore winds blows the smog out to the Inland Empire, its just interesting that they would add an area like the Inland Empire and its more than 4 million people to Los Angeles unless they were trying to make LA wind up #1. Im sure that most the other cities in the rankings had a population well under 4 million people
Rich Fader
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rich Fader »

Having grown up in Rivertucky and Sunnytucky/Moreno Tucky and then having moved back to Rivertucky the last few years, it seems like we're getting less smog from LA and making more of our own. That said, on balance, the air quality still seems a lot less nasty than it was when I was a kid.
Jihad is hump of Islam...and Islam wants to hump us very much.