Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Story on Chase Daniel

Post by Adelpiero »

love the part about perriloux

cd

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- This was reason to celebrate. Chase Daniel had scored his first big victory of the season. So what if this momentous event took place in the dead of the offseason? The Missouri quarterback had taken a deep breath, turned his body around, stepped up against the wall and -- hooray! -- finally measured in at 6 feet. Until this moment, Daniel had never topped 5-11¾ since his arrival in Columbia.

Sound petty? Not if you're a quarterback with dreams of someday playing in the NFL.

Chase Daniel
WD/Icon SMI
Chase Daniel set a Missouri single-season record in 2006 with 3,527 passing yards.

"Man, it's a huge deal," Daniel said. "I knew what it meant for me as a player. It means you get a chance. They [the NFL scouts] throw 5-11 guys right out."

Daniel hopes he can follow in the cleat prints of another supposedly undersized Texan, Drew Brees, who was passed over by the big-name Texas schools and ended up as a record-setting quarterback at Purdue. Brees continued proving skeptics wrong in the NFL by blossoming into a Pro Bowler.

"I think we're very similar in our backgrounds," the 6-0, 225-pound Dallas-area native says of Brees. "Neither of us got recruited by the big three [Texas, Texas A&M or Texas Tech]. He went to Purdue, became an All-American and elevated the program. And hopefully that's what I can do here."

After one season as the Tigers' starter, Daniel is well on his way. In 2006, his 3,527-yard total smashed the Mizzou single-season passing record by more than 1,000 yards. He blew away the school record for TD passes, connecting on 28 scoring throws to easily eclipse Terry McMillan's mark of 18 set in 1969. Daniel's performance in the Tigers' final three games of the season, passing for 996 yards with seven TDs and no interceptions against Iowa State, Kansas and Oregon State, has many around the Mizzou program believing the Tigers have a shot for their first top-15 season in decades.

"He's a special one," said David Yost, Missouri's quarterbacks coach. "His competitiveness and football sense are what make him so much different."

In addition, the Tigers return 10 offensive starters and a handful of other key receivers. Plus, everyone inside the program is fired up about the return of Jeremy Maclin, a speedy redshirt freshman receiver who missed last year with a knee injury. Better still, they also have a favorable schedule with Nebraska, Texas Tech and Texas A&M all having to come to Columbia this fall.

"With the people we have coming back, there's no way we shouldn't compete for the Big 12 title," said Daniel. "I don't see there being any way where we don't finish first or second in the nation in total offense. We have the ability to score 40 points a game. We can easily win 10 games."

As impressive as Daniel was in his debut season, the Mizzou coaches are anxious to see their QB's next step in the evolution of their offense. The offense did sputter at times in the middle of the season, which they say was due in part to not being committed enough to the running game. Some of that was a by-product of coping with standout tailback Tony Temple's fumbling problems.

Expect Daniel and the Tigers to be greedier in 2007.

"We are going to use the whole field now," Yost says. "Last year it was, 'If they do this, we'll take that.' Now it's, 'If they do this, let's take this vertical route we can get. Let's not just take this hitch.' This time, we're not going to just take what the defense gives us, but rather attack what the defense does."

The more aggressive approach meshes well with Daniel's personality. Daniel, the quintessential gym rat, is fueled by a good, old-fashioned Napoleon complex.

Chase Daniel
Steve Grayson/WireImage.com
Chase Daniel is focused on leading the Tigers to a Big 12 title.

His coach and mentor at Texas prep powerhouse Southlake Carroll High, Todd Dodge, refined Daniel's footwork and mechanics by having him throw into nets and trash cans. Dodge, a former Longhorns QB, had Daniel fire 600 passes a day. Daniel also dreamed of playing quarterback for the Texas Longhorns, but although he starred at Carroll, UT didn't offer him a scholarship.

Daniel and buddy Colt McCoy attended a summer camp in Austin, but UT offensive coordinator Greg Davis told Daniel the Longhorns were more interested in Louisiana hotshot Ryan Perrilloux. Daniel decided to commit to Missouri, the first school that offered him.

Later that summer, while attending the Elite 11 QB camp in California, Daniel met Perrilloux. They didn't exactly hit it off.

"I was so tired of hearing him run his mouth," Daniel says. "He was like, 'I'm the best at everything,' so I challenged him."

"Let's run a 40-[yard dash]," Daniel said to Perrilloux in front of all the other campers. "Back up your talk."

They raced and Daniel said he beat Perrilloux by two yards. The Louisiana QB said he slipped and asked for a rematch after he put his cleats on.

"Next time I beat him by a yard," Daniel said with a smile.

Ironically enough, Perrilloux's waffling between Texas and LSU, where he eventually signed, had UT coaches seeking their own escape routes. That winter, they dialed up Dodge and asked what would happen if they called Daniel.

"Do what you gotta do, but I'd rather you not because he's committed to Missouri," Dodge told them.

The Tigers never had many doubts about the vertically challenged QB. They liked what they saw on film and then when they met Daniel, they loved him.

"He came up with his mom and as soon as you talked to him, you knew he had that 'it' quality," said Yost, who doubles as the Tigers' recruiting coordinator. "You want him leading your tent."

It also didn't hurt that head coach Gary Pinkel had coached two other QBs who were a shade under 6-0 to all-conference status during his previous stop at Toledo. The Tigers' offensive scheme has helped Daniel, too. Missouri's gaping O-line splits make it easier to find passing lanes. MU also relies on a lot of cut blocking, although Pinkel would do that even if the team had a 6-7 quarterback.

"He's doing great," said Pinkel. "I've never been around a total quarterback like this before, and I've had five NFL QBs. And I hope the Chris Chandlers and Mark Brunells don't get mad when I say this, but he's the best natural leader I've coached and the most accurate guy I've ever seen."

Daniel's lack of size didn't prevent him from producing against the best level of high school competition in Texas. And it hasn't hurt him at Missouri, either.

"We threw the ball over 400 times and only two or three times did he say, 'I couldn't see him,'" said Yost. "I've had tall guys who had that problem. We'll take a guy who is under 6 feet. Would we take a guy around 5-10? Probably not. That's the cutoff for us.

"It scares you because if you miss on a 5-11 quarterback, what else can he do for you? A 6-4 guy could become a tight end or maybe a defensive end. I think Chase Daniel would be a hard-nosed linebacker, but I don't know if he'd ever play [that position] for us. Then again, he'd probably make himself into a good linebacker."

"I think it worked out perfectly," said Daniel. "I know I'm in the right place."

Bruce Feldman is a senior writer with ESPN The Magazine.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Story on Chase Daniel

Post by War Wagon »

Adelpiero wrote: "I think it worked out perfectly," said Daniel. "I know I'm in the right place."
Damn straight he's in the right place. With Rucker and Coffman both coming back, Chase is gonna' obliterate more records this next season. Having a seasoned RB in Tony Temple won't suck much either, as long as his fumbleitis is behind him.

The only question for Mizzou is can their defense stop anybody? Losing that bowl game to Oregon State 40-39 after having a big lead left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Can't wait to get Nebraska and A&M in Columbia this year. There's going to be hell to pay.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

War Wagon wrote:
The only question for Mizzou is can their defense stop anybody? Losing that bowl game to Oregon State 40-39 after having a big lead left a really bad taste in my mouth.
if you guys could run the ball for a first down, then O State would have had to use their TO's (as i recall) and you probably win....instead of the 4 1/2 hour Pinkel game in which no lead is safe. D is bad, true. But you guys are a clock management disaster. yer 3 and outs eat up about 25 seconds of clock time......not the minute and a half with every one else who can run the ball with some chance to convert.
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

The best part of that article is when it ended.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Frank Beamer's growth wrote:The best part of that article is when it ended.
Yeah, and no mention of the dreaded Pinkelitis.
How do ya 'spose a blow boy hack in Columbia missed that?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

King Crimson wrote:
War Wagon wrote:
if you guys could run the ball for a first down, then O State would have had to use their TO's (as i recall) and you probably win....instead of the 4 1/2 hour Pinkel game in which no lead is safe. D is bad, true. But you guys are a clock management disaster. yer 3 and outs eat up about 25 seconds of clock time......not the minute and a half with every one else who can run the ball with some chance to convert.
If you'll remember, after OSU turned the ball over on downs at midfield late in the 4th, Temple ripped off a 14 yard gain on 1st down. I guess they thought he was out of breath. He didn't touch the ball again. Mizzou then went 3 and out on 3 straight dropbacks and Pinkeled (my euphemism for a MU punt). The rest is history.

They can run the ball, but you have to actually call a run to do it. Temple was tearing shit up all day, and at the key moment when it was time to stick a motherfucking stake in their hearts, they went away from it. :brad:
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

War Wagon wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
War Wagon wrote:
If you'll remember, after OSU turned the ball over on downs at midfield late in the 4th, Temple ripped off a 14 yard gain on 1st down. I guess they thought he was out of breath. He didn't touch the ball again. Mizzou then went 3 and out on 3 straight dropbacks and Pinkeled (my euphemism for a MU punt). The rest is history.

They can run the ball, but you have to actually call a run to do it. Temple was tearing shit up all day, and at the key moment when it was time to stick a motherfucking stake in their hearts, they went away from it. :brad:
I felt your pain. Well just a lil' touch probby. OK.. not at all...
I remember thinkin' to myself, I'm bettin' I look slack jawed, watching that absolute brain fart play call not giving Temple the rock.

Hey, Callahan doesn't attempt a 42 yard FG against Auburn with a guy that felt comfortable at 48 late in the game. We lose by 3. He transfers to USC.
We gots' our albatrose too.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Cornhusker wrote:
Hey, Callahan doesn't attempt a 42 yard FG against Auburn with a guy that felt comfortable at 48 late in the game. We lose by 3. He transfers to USC.
i didn't understand that. i remember the announcers talking about Congdon "being out of range" or something. He always seemed pretty solid to me.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Cornhusker wrote: I remember thinkin' to myself, I'm bettin' I look slack jawed
Perfect description of the look that had to be on my face at the time as well, quickly followed by a look that wanted to kill somebody.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

And I called my shot on a team I HATE...that's how big a loser Tigerfag is.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dinsdale wrote:And I called my shot on a team I HATE...that's how big a loser Tigerfag is.
Oh please... you said Mizzou was gonna' get blown out.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Dinsdale wrote:And I called my shot on a team I HATE...that's how big a loser Tigerfag is.
dumbass, you said they would blow them out, and cover, they did not.

nice try duncedale.

it worked out like that Oregon is going to crush byu post also. :meds:
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Adelpiero wrote:love the part about perriloux

cd

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- This was reason to celebrate. Chase Daniel had scored his first big victory of the season. So what if this momentous event took place in the dead of the offseason? The Missouri quarterback had taken a deep breath, turned his body around, stepped up against the wall and -- hooray! -- finally measured in at 6 feet. Until this moment, Daniel had never topped 5-11¾ since his arrival in Columbia.

I guess boogers make you grow.
Cornhusker

Post by Cornhusker »

King Crimson wrote:
Cornhusker wrote:
i didn't understand that. i remember the announcers talking about Congdon "being out of range" or something. He always seemed pretty solid to me.
FIELD GOALS FGM-FGA Pct 01-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-99 Lg Blk
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Congdon, Jordan 5-7 71.4 0-0 2-2 2-3 1-2 0-0 40 0

55 for 56 on PATS

Was 3 for 5 (first and only year as starter) 30-40 yards. Was passed on more than once to have an opportunity to prove himself. His kicking coach in California was quoted as saying Jordan was easily good enough to kick 50 yarders consistantly, yeah his coach, but Callahan's M.O. has ALWAYS been, "if I didn't recruit him, he doesn't fit in." Funny how this didn't hold true for the likes of Bo Rudd (Nebraska local) who couldn't tackle his grandma, he was given a pass cuz his dad and brother are legacies. That guy looked like a 2 cent matador when a running back had him in his sights. Now he's moved to the strong side from the weak...great.
Well, the jury is deliberating and Solich's guys are all but gone.
Callahan's candle is burning.
Congdon maybe didn't (doesn't) have the strongest leg, but bowl game... with game on the line (adrendline),... and within a reasonable degree of range, Callahan passes on a 42 yarder to go for a 4th and 15..throws a comeback short of the sticks incomplete...great choice.
Dipshit.
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

I also agree that everything worked out best for Missouri, and Texas. I would argue that the top two QBs in the Big 12 are Daniels and McCoy. perloser is buried in the LSU depth chart, once again proving that karma is a bitch.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Periloux also has the counterfeiting thing hanging over him
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Overall I see Pinkel doing more of the same in 07, enough to keep his job and make the Indpendence Bowl. Just when you think Gary has things going he shits-himself but just you think he on his way out he gets a much-needed win. They'll go around 7-5. They may-well beat us in Columbia again but we should still be able to take the north.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Danimal wrote:Overall I see Pinkel doing more of the same in 07, enough to keep his job and make the Indpendence Bowl. Just when you think Gary has things going he shits-himself but just you think he on his way out he gets a much-needed win. They'll go around 7-5. They may-well beat us in Columbia again but we should still be able to take the north.
caucasian please

you wont find a bigger antipinkel guy, but no way this team goes worse than 9-3(4-0 ooc 5-3 conference) would say 8-4, but kansas game is in kc, MU gains huge advantage

losses to kst,ou, possible loss to nebraska or atm(highly doubtfull with aTm)

this is the season, pinkel doesnt win the north, he should be fired immediately. nebraska is not a world beater, they should be beat in columbia.

they have an unstoppable offense(ok, coaches can stop their own offense), they have mismatches on virtually every team . no lb or safetys in cfb are going to be able to cover coffman and T.Rucker. They have speed at wr, and a solid qb and a solid rb.

the defense cant be worse, they were horrible last year, you can only be the same or improve.

this is the program make or break year. plenty of talent in the state. up to 5 possible 4 star kids, possibly and should be more. so they could get more sleepers from texas, get top kids in state, and have a big season. ( if your not from texas,florida,or cali, you somhow become a 3 star)

if they go 7-5, i will rent the uhaul for pinkel, and park it on his front lawn.

plus they gain the 4 star wr from kirkwood(maclin) back, he redshirted last year because of a season ending injury in spring pactice, and came back to run a faster 40 than he ran in highschool. a 4.32.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

This isn't the first breakthrough year Mizzou was supposed to have. Remember 2004? They may well finish above 7-5, but likely not much over. I'm not saying Neb is a world-beater, we aren't, wouldn't surprise me a bit to lose in Columbia, but we should be a little more consistent IMO since Mizzou tends to struggle on-the-road.

If Mizzou does take the north things could start getting very hot for BC in the offseason. He is in his fourth year at what is supposed to be a major program. We gotta start looking like one or boosters will start calling for the heads of BC and our AD.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Danimal wrote:This isn't the first breakthrough year Mizzou was supposed to have. Remember 2004? They may well finish above 7-5, but likely not much over. I'm not saying Neb is a world-beater, we aren't, wouldn't surprise me a bit to lose in Columbia, but we should be a little more consistent IMO since Mizzou tends to struggle on-the-road.

If Mizzou does take the north things could start getting very hot for BC in the offseason. He is in his fourth year at what is supposed to be a major program. We gotta start looking like one or boosters will start calling for the heads of BC and our AD.
daniel and this offense is totally different than a running qb who cant throw and a coaching staff calling 70% throwinging plays.

with the talent they have, this is pinkels year to shine. mizzou hasnt had this much talent, especially offensively, ina long time, if ever.

even struggling, they shouldnt go worse than 8-4, the seaosn and schedule sets up for a big season, illinois could be a L. i could see pinkel overcoaching himself to a opening loss. remember troy, they jumped up early and pinkel pulled the parachute and allowed troy to beat them. it was a no win game, on road on epsn, they had everything to lose. and he kept calling passing plays while up. look at oregon st game, mu did what they wanted at will, then he decides to go away from a rb whos averaging like 10 per carry, instead of salting it away, he throws, plays scared and loses.

too many teams on the schedule who will be average or worse on the schedule to not go 8-9 wins+
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Biggest question mark in my book is the Missouri defense, we all know they can score points but can they stop the other team from scoring?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

thie is Pinkel's big year. Daniel will light it up, Rucker and Temple are back, they get Nebraska, Tech, A&M, and Kansas in Columbia.....this is the chance to take the big boy step coming off a bowl game in which they were underdogs against a "hot" team getting lots of national media fellatio and *should* have won.

I'd say a good year could put Mizzou in the Alamo/even Cotton territory (though both bowls will always take Tech or ATM if it's ever equal--which is lame Texas stuff that really subverts the "integrity" of the bowl system).

another 6 win season won't cut it.

edit: i see now the KU game is at Arrowhead. and at least there are some BCS schools in the MU noncon this year, albeit bottom feeders Illinois and Ole Miss.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

King Crimson wrote:they get Nebraska, Tech, A&M, and Kansas in Columbia.....
Yeah, last year, I was saying "Whew, at least we got Oklahoma, Nebraska and tehc at home this year." How'd that end up? 3 heartbreakers...
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

IndyFrisco wrote:
King Crimson wrote:they get Nebraska, Tech, A&M, and Kansas in Columbia.....
Yeah, last year, I was saying "Whew, at least we got Oklahoma, Nebraska and tehc at home this year." How'd that end up? 3 heartbreakers...
you guys had a good year (for Fran), minus being m2's bitch. :vomit: :wink:

ags need to get over the hump against Tech. that one's wearing you down.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

Re: "Story About Chase Daniel"

I found it...

the_ouskull
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

King Crimson wrote:ags need to get over the hump against Tech. that one's wearing you down.
Tell me about it. They are almost caught up in the overall series and that's due to the past 10 years or so. Pathetic.

Oh, and it's tceh! Not tech!

Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...