Word on the street for recruiting...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Word on the street for recruiting...

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

is that Brewster committed to tOSU and that Shugarts is announcing tomorrow and supposedly is verballing to tOSU...that would give them 3 top OL I think Adams and Brewster are top 25-30 players...and Jimmy T plucked Brewster out of FLA...but I am guessing FLA didn't want him...

anyone hearing any other good recruiting shit?
ccd
Crack Whore

Re: Word on the street for recruiting...

Post by ccd »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:anyone hearing any other good recruiting shit?
Jerrell Powe will attempt a third time to become eligible at Ole Miss.

Coach O responds with some unintelligible garble and the word "FOOTBALL!!!!!"
Dinsdale wrote:Someone has an insurmountable lead...
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

Heard many FL HS coaches that have seen Brewster play think he is way overrated.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Frank Beamer's growth wrote:Heard many FL HS coaches that have seen Brewster play think he is way overrated.

I've seen his tape numerous times and I think he is the best OL prospect in the country this year. Shugarts committed today as well.

Adams, Brewster and Shugarts is a great OL in itself.
Frank Beamer's growth
Elwood

Post by Frank Beamer's growth »

No doubt his film is good, some of the best I've seen this year for an olineman but what they are saying is that the level of players he is going against isn't that great.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

Shugarts is the result of being hyped by his father. He has amazing size but the kid has not done anything on the high school level. Not even all district. As I understand it he has been converted to TE for his senior year.

Now his dad has sent film to everyone and has done an amazing job of working the recruiting sites.

Still with all that said, I think Shugarts is still a solid recruit and a great pickup for tOSU. Not too many 300 pounders can play TE
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

Nebraska has 4 @ 4 star offensive linemen verballed for 2008 by N2FL.com.
Steinkuhlar (GPA 3.7) is a 5 star by rivals and the other 3 are 4 star.
Dan Hoch (GPA 3.9) is considered the best OL out of Iowa and Bryce Givens (offered by UCLA and Michigan) the best in Colorado.
Trevor Robinson (GPA 3.92) had a full ride offer from Notre Dame and Michigan among others.

http://www.n2fl.com/Recruiting/Top%2025 ... 202008.htm
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

WolverineSteve wrote:UM gets O-lineman out of Ohio.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=162&p=8&c=1&nid=3049940
traitor..

good thing O-line men dont win heismans
:evil:
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Cornhusker wrote:Nebraska has 4 @ 4 star offensive linemen verballed for 2008 by N2FL.com.
Dan Hoch (GPA 3.9) is considered the best OL out of Iowa and Bryce Givens (offered by UCLA and Michigan) the best in Colorado.
Trevor Robinson (GPA 3.92) had a full ride offer from Notre Dame and Michigan among others.

Steinkuhlar is an absolute animal. Great pickup.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Cicero wrote:
Cornhusker wrote:Nebraska has 4 @ 4 star offensive linemen verballed for 2008 by N2FL.com.

i assume he's Dean's boy? HE was a baller.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

King Crimson wrote:
Cicero wrote:

i assume he's Dean's boy? HE was a baller.
Yes he is.

His oldest son (Ty) will be a junior D-end this fall and has a motor. I think he breaks out this season. He's played tackle but I think he has enough spend to play the base end. He's shown some bright spots last year but being behind Carriker, who I think Cosgrove didn't utilize properly, left him on the sideline. That's why he played some tackle last year.
http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... EASON=2007

Not bad credentials with an ol' man who won the Lombardi and Outland.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Trojans have picked up a couple big tackles for this year.
Matt Kalil 6-8 280 from Servite HS in Anaheim, CA
and
Matt Meyer 6-8 285 from Lincoln HS in Stockton, CA

Khaled Holmes from Mater Dei HS in Santa Ana, CA will likely commit after the summer camps and the Trojans are very much in the mix for a big Texan named Daiel Campbell from Aldine HS in Houston. Rainier Beach HS's Alameda Ta'amu has said that as soon as USC offers, he will commit, look for that to happen after the summer camps as well.
Its obvious the Trojans are trying to stock up on O line this year after only taking 2 or 3 O linemen each of the last 2 years
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

SoCalTrjn wrote:the Trojans are very much in the mix for a big Texan named Daiel Campbell from Aldine HS in Houston.
Will you root for him if he plays at USC?
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Id rather schools be limited to only recruiting local players but if other schools are going to recruit everywhere, USC should too.
Besides its not the kids fault that his parents decided to live in a place like Texas
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

SoCalTrjn wrote:Id rather schools be limited to only recruiting local players
Why? You've never really answered that.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

SoCalTrjn wrote:
Id rather schools be limited to only recruiting local players
as stupid as your ideal is, boy would it of changed college football.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Id rather schools be limited to only recruiting local players
So does this mean that $C would only get to recruit the ghetto surrounding the school?
Besides the fact that it's probably the dumbest thing you've ever come up with please explain your reasoning?
If $C recruited only the local kids around their area, where do you draw the boundary lines? What happens if there are more kids that deserve scholarships or have the talent to play at the D-1 level? Do they just get tossed away because they weren't recruited? What about kids who want to leave shitty neighborhoods and experience life in a different environment? What about kids who go to high schools in an area where there is no D-1 school? This statement has more holes than a fishing net.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

A lot of College football is about regional and state pride, I dont want to hear fans of some states schools team brag about being great when few of their players are from their state. It mostly grew from Washington and oregon fans talking shit on California and its schools when 70-85% of the players on the schools in those state were from California, if they hate California so much, dont recruit there.
If certain states can not produce enough in state talent to field a competitive team, they do not deserve a competitive team. They shouldnt be able to say "we're good at this" when none of the team representing them is part of them.
Its something that hasnt bothered me as much now that USC is doing well, but when USC was struggling it sucked to see fans from the 6 non California Pac 10 teams talking shit about California when the majority of their players were from California. Always thought that someone should video fans of other states schools coming out of football games and ask them how much they hate California, then show those videos to all of the juniors in Californa High Schools so that they would not want to go play for people who hate them
Vito Corleone
Eternal Scobode

Post by Vito Corleone »

I have a lot of Texas state pride but Texas puts out 350 D1-A football players on a yearly basis, there just isn't enough schools in Texas to give all those kids scholarships.

Let be real, no one cares if they all stay, only the top ones.

A few years ago Ciron Black wanted to be a longhorn real bad but Texas did not recruit him and he signed with LSU. Now he is an All-Conference guy who will be a top NFL draft pick next year. Same story with another guy from Austin named Derek Strait. Fact is you can't take them all.
M Club wrote:I've seen Phantom Holding Calls ruin a 7-5 team's undefeated season.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

SoCalTrjn wrote:A lot of College football is about regional and state pride, I dont want to hear fans of some states schools team brag about being great when few of their players are from their state. It mostly grew from Washington and oregon fans talking shit on California and its schools when 70-85% of the players on the schools in those state were from California, if they hate California so much, dont recruit there.
If certain states can not produce enough in state talent to field a competitive team, they do not deserve a competitive team. They shouldnt be able to say "we're good at this" when none of the team representing them is part of them.
Its something that hasnt bothered me as much now that USC is doing well, but when USC was struggling it sucked to see fans from the 6 non California Pac 10 teams talking shit about California when the majority of their players were from California. Always thought that someone should video fans of other states schools coming out of football games and ask them how much they hate California, then show those videos to all of the juniors in Californa High Schools so that they would not want to go play for people who hate them
This is almost the most moronic take I've eer read on the board. Maybe some of those Cali kids hated living in Cali and that's why they chose schools that hate the damn state as well.

Isn't USC a private school? By the same token then I think that USC should only be able to recruit student athletes that attended private schools, in the state of California. Since it was the state that funded most of these kids education already they should have to attend one of the Cali public universities such as Kal, UCLA, or Fresno State. Also someone from Los Angeles wishing to study Petro chem engineering should not be able to attend Texas A&M or Oklahoma beause they aren't from those states. :meds:
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

SunCoastSooner wrote:
SoCalTrjn wrote:A lot of College football is about regional and state pride, I dont want to hear fans of some states schools team brag about being great when few of their players are from their state. It mostly grew from Washington and oregon fans talking shit on California and its schools when 70-85% of the players on the schools in those state were from California, if they hate California so much, dont recruit there.
This is almost the most moronic take I've eer read on the board. Maybe some of those Cali kids hated living in Cali and that's why they chose schools that hate the damn state as well.

Isn't USC a private school? By the same token then I think that USC should only be able to recruit student athletes that attended private schools, in the state of California. Since it was the state that funded most of these kids education already they should have to attend one of the Cali public universities such as Kal, UCLA, or Fresno State. Also someone from Los Angeles wishing to study Petro chem engineering should not be able to attend Texas A&M or Oklahoma beause they aren't from those states. :meds:
Not to mention that hating California is not necessarily the same thing as hating the kids who come to those schools from California.

As for ND, requiring ND to recruit exclusively in-state would doubtless be fatal to its program. Not even because of relatively little talent in Indiana so much as the fact that ND has a national fanbase. I know there aren't many ND fans on this board, so it's probably a little hard to explain, but a lot of people who grow up Catholic automatically become ND fans for that reason alone. Where you live is irrelevant, or at least, significantly less relevant. By forcing ND to recruit only in-state, you would not only be hurting their football program, but I daresay you would hurt the entire university as well, as a lot of that fanbase would disappear, and there would be less interest in the school as a result.

But as bad as SoCalTrjn's ideas are, I can actually get behind one of them: tying out-of-state recruiting to out-of-state enrollment. Only about 10% of ND's student body comes from in-state. So under that proposal, ND would be able to continue with recruiting in pretty much business as usual mode, whereas most other schools who can lay claim to being college football powers would then have to deal with significant geographic limitations on recruiting which aren't in place now. Come to think of it, I like that idea, although I concede that it would be bad for college football in general.