1980 Gold Medal Game 8pm EST/5pm PST 2/24

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

1980 Gold Medal Game 8pm EST/5pm PST 2/24

Post by Cross Traffic »

Was checking the schedule for Espn Classic and they are showing the Gold Medal game between the USA and Finland. Have only seen a few parts of this game, and it should be great to see in its enterity. Also look for a young Jari Kurri on the Finnish squad.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

thanks for the update
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Sweet...I've never seen much of that game before, I'll give it a look.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I remember my family rushing back from church to watch that game.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

The ref in that game (he was Czech) was so biased it seemed like he had taken a payoff from the Soviets before the game. The roughing call with 5 minutes to go wouldn't make most referees blink.

Nice job ABC missing the game tying goal....
MotoGoalie
Elwood

Post by MotoGoalie »

One thing I noticed was the outright swipes and hits the USA was putting on the Fin goalie. Several were bat swings with thier sticks at his gloves and pads.

And it didn't seem like the Fins retaliated much. Great strategy if not for all the penalties that the US took.

And that WAS the same Jari Kurri out there that just finished his season in Colorado in 2000 right? Holy Crap!
mvscal wrote: Of course. The 'I was just trolling' card. The monotonously predictable last gasp of a plungered gimp as he swirls down the drain.
Sorry Spanky, you're on my hook.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MotoGoalie wrote:And that WAS the same Jari Kurri out there that just finished his season in Colorado in 2000 right? Holy Crap!

Yup...I never knew he played in the '80 Olympics. The only other NHL name I remember from those games was Fetisov. None of the USA guys had much of a career in the NHL other than Broten and Ramsey.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:None of the USA guys had much of a career in the NHL other than Broten and Ramsey.
Ken Morrow?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:None of the USA guys had much of a career in the NHL other than Broten and Ramsey.
Ken Morrow?
He won a cup with the Isles but how long did he play? I'm just thinking of guys that went on to long careers. Broten is one of the all-time leaders in scoring among American-born players...I would be safe to say he was the guy who had the best pro career after 1980.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The rink in Lake Placid is being renamed to honor Brooks...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3416968
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:He won a cup with the Isles but how long did he play? I'm just thinking of guys that went on to long careers. Broten is one of the all-time leaders in scoring among American-born players...I would be safe to say he was the guy who had the best pro career after 1980.
He won 4 Cups with the Islanders. I believe he played close to 10 years. While he didn't have the longevity of Broten, I think that Neal would gladly give up all of that scoring for 4 Cups.
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

I missed the game the other night, did we win?
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

What about Mark Johnson and Mark Pavelich. Both had decent careers.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

and Dave Christian too?
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Laxplayer wrote:What about Mark Johnson and Mark Pavelich. Both had decent careers.
Johnson had some of the biggest goals of that whole tournament. His dad became more noted, as the patriarch of Wisconsin hockey and coaching the Flames and winning Cup at Pittsburgh.

Pavelich was a stud for the Rangers for a couple of years after the Olympics and Brooks was the coach there. They were clearly the 2nd best team in the NHL....just couldn't get by the Islanders. Speaking of which, 4 in a row......something we'll likely never see again in any sport. Even the Bulls couldn't do that.

Back to Pavelich....he just up and got sick of playing hockey and was living off the land somewhere in northern Minnesota. Probably working at the Menard's in Duluth or something....damn good player though.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

According to Miracle, Pavelich is a real estate developer.

Even more impressive than the 4 in a row for the Isles, is the 19 consecutive playoff rounds won.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Thanks for update. I had heard somewhere that Pavelich just had enough of hockey and dropped off the radar screen. Hope he's not selling real estate in northern Minnesota.....tough market.

Islanders? I hated those teams but they were amazing. I remember Gretzky relating a story that when the Islanders won their fourth Cup vs. the Oilers, he walked by the NY dressing room and expected to hear and see them whooping it up and carrying on. Instead, he said all the guys were crashed out exhausted in front of their lockers as if they'd just fought a war. It was then Gretzky realized what it took to win the Cup.