Anyone in Orange County area

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Anyone in Orange County area

Post by SoCalTrjn »

want to coach a youth baseball team???

After our 4th straight mercy rule win over the weekend, I was informed by the Mission Viejo Pony Baseball Board of Directors that they wanted me to step down as coach and find another dad to step in.
We signed up for Pony instead of Little league because Pony was more about baseball, with no pledge and players being able to lead off. Turns out that the board didnt appreciate my team not doing the "good game" thing after any of their games this year and instead after the game is over they sprint to right field for a team meeting.
I get to go to a board of directors meeting tomorrow and find out what cunts have been complaining about my team running up the score and giving 100% the entire game. bunch of pussies, that good game shit is for ayso and t ball
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Even the professionals in most sports stick around and do the obligatory congratulations and small talk w/each other. Don't be a dick... teach your players a bit of sportsmanship, pussy hair.
Rootbeer

Post by Rootbeer »

If your only goal as a coach is to win then you should step down.

Coaching is more than teaching hitting, running, and fielding. A kid can learn that by watching DVDs.
Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

You don't have the players congratulate/thank the opposing players after the game?

I'd want you out of there, too. You're a dick.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

A topic in which I agree with both Ken and Dins?

Well, I'm not so sure about pro's lining up to shake hands, but even up thru the college level that's customary.

Any "coach" (and I use that term loosely here) who tells his team not to do that is a moron.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

War Wagon wrote:A topic in which I agree with both Ken and Dins?
Of course, the correct answer here gets filed under "Sincerely, Marcus."
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Ken

Post by Ken »

War Wagon wrote:Well, I'm not so sure about pro's lining up to shake hands, but even up thru the college level that's customary.
No, you're right, they don't 'line up' and shake hands. But there is definitely an element of sportsmanship after most professional sports' games where players chit chat and shake a few hands. I believe a lot of this is due in part to the sportsmanship taught at younger levels.

There's a few professional sports out there, I'm sure, in which there isn't idle chit chat after games. The NHL comes to mind. Hell, those guys beeline it for the dressing room at the horn.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Ken wrote:
War Wagon wrote:Well, I'm not so sure about pro's lining up to shake hands, but even up thru the college level that's customary.
No, you're right, they don't 'line up' and shake hands. But there is definitely an element of sportsmanship after most professional sports' games where players chit chat and shake a few hands. I believe a lot of this is due in part to the sportsmanship taught at younger levels.

There's a few professional sports out there, I'm sure, in which there isn't idle chit chat after games. The NHL comes to mind. Hell, those guys beeline it for the dressing room at the horn.
Except, of course, after the final game in each playoff series.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if SoCalTrjn's team beat the crap out of an inferior team and then went and shook hands saying ...

"Good game ...."

Is he teaching them sportsmanship or how to lie ?
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

You're wrong, and that's an inane question. By that line of reasoning, I guess a coach has to determine what is and what is not a "good game", and the topic starter here would fuck that decision up as well. So where's the definitive line at? 3 runs? 6 runs? Not getting spread?

You line up and slap hands to show respect for the other team, regardless of how inferior they were. You don't have to say "good game", but you do have to march across that diamond and congratulate the other team just for showing up.

This assholio Trjn guy is probably coaching 9-10 year old kids. One of these days the shoe will be on the other foot when his bunch of spoiled brats run up against a squad of equally spoiled brats in some tournament and show him who the really inferior team is. He'll be thankful when the coach of that team shows some mercy, doesn't run up the score, and shakes hands afterwards.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Maybe that's what he was doing. Is it his fault the other team wouldn't wait until SoCalTrgn's team finished their team meeting ?

Maybe he was "coaching" them not to laugh in the other kids' faces or something.

It's too early to decide. I hope he has representation at the hearing tomorrow.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Quit trolling, Tom.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I see IB is trolling with Tom's nick these days.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Ken wrote:

Except, of course, after the final game in each playoff series.
True... and don't let that get in the way of a socaltrojan beatdown.
Ken

Post by Ken »

War Wagon wrote:Not getting spread?
Dammit.

-Cinder
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Perhaps you guys should watch more MLB games, the winning team congratulates each other, they dont say good game to the other team, its not Tee Ball

Most of my kids play on travel teams as well and often have more than one game a day, I also have a younger son who plays on a lower level team and I need to get to his game. Before the game we are cordial to our opponent and my chosen captain for each game goes to the other teams dugout with our lineup and shakes the hand of their coaches and tells them good game. After the game we have a 5 minute meeting I hand out the game balls and announc the captain for the next game as well as say when the next practice is and then everyone heads off to their vehicles.
The Board is pissed that my team had 15 players and 4 quit and I didnt draft 4 from the lower level to replace them, I dont have as many reserves and I have 11 good players, 9 play USSSA as well. They are mad that I dont have weak players
On top of that, the Board all have their kids on the same team and we play that team on Thursday, my team is 7-1 that team is 8-0, they dont want competition.
I looked through the coaches handbook and there is no where in there that they say the teams have a post game ceremony to congratulate each other. I meet with them at 8 30, my younger sons travel coach has said he would step in and coach my older sons team if they make me step down.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

SoCalTrjn wrote:Before the game we are cordial to our opponent and my chosen captain for each game goes to the other teams dugout with our lineup and shakes the hand of their coaches and tells them good game.
Before the game? Your chosen captain? Tells their coaches? Good game?

I'm speechless.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sounds like you're more interested in upholding some trivial "principal" than actually keeping your gig. Otherwise you'd make the small "sacrifice" of participating in the "good game" stuff. Seriously, is it that hard?

Some mornings I'd like to tell my boss to get fucked, but I'd rather be employed, so instead I say "good morning" and go on about my day. It's just part of the deal. Wise up, dipshit.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

to defend my coaching, the kids on this team are 11 and 12 year olds, I do have one 10 year old but he is very good.
My team lost their first game 5-4, at the time we had a 15 player roster and 4 of the players were extremely weak, none getting a hit and all 4 making errors.
After the next practice 2 quit, we won our next game 12-4 with 13 players, the 2 poor players didnt get hits in that game either but only one made errors.
The one who didnt make any errors broke his arm skateboarding that weekend and now he is the team assistant, the other quit.
My team uses 4 pitchers that are each on strict pitch counts and everyone plays at least 3 positions. All I ask of them is to go as hard as they can all game long to ensure they are part of the starting 9 the next game.
Since the team has started clicking they have been playing great and have won 11-3 13-5 17-2 21-0 23-3 and 19-0
My responsibility is to my kids and their parents, to make sure their kids have a good time and if any of my kids parents came to me and said they thought we should do the good game thing, then I would, I do what is important to them. Every parent has said they want their kids to win and develop in to better baseball players, under my coaching, they have
Ken

Post by Ken »

SoCalTrjn wrote:if any of my kids parents came to me and said they thought we should do the good game thing, then I would, I do what is important to them. Every parent has said they want their kids to win and develop in to better baseball players, under my coaching, they have
Our collective bust, socal. Forgot this is the OC we're talking about. The land of 'what can you do for me and how can I get ahead at all costs?'

Sportsmanship?

pfffffft

Major props to you for upholding the tradition that is the 'Real Housewives of OC'. Have any of the parents asked that you hire the Dodger's batting coach for a weekend yet? If not, maybe you should just surprise them. Ask him how to teach to hit come-backers at the opposing pitchers' heads.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

We have been using a couple of the hitting instructors for Cal St Fullerton. I also have a cage in my back yard and the team has 2 hitting instruction days a week with a local Anderson Bat rep. Funny that he stick a gatorade bottle on the pitching machine and kids get free Anderson stuff if they can hit the bottle
All of the parents are going with me to this board meeting, at least 3 of the kids have Lawyers for fathers and all have offered their services.
Like I said, I took the responsibility to coach this team and the most important thing for this team is what the players parents want, we will start doing the good game thing even since the parents havent said they wanted it, I was just never told that it was a big deal until I was given the letter from the board yesterday.
The main reason we hadnt been doing it is because these kids parents have schedules and it seems like the extra 10 minutes to exchange pleasentries with the opposition hasnt seemed to have been a priority
Last edited by SoCalTrjn on Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Why is it often dudes like socalschmick here that end up coaching young kids? It enough to make you hope your kids grow up bookworms...
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

If your kid played for me, youd feel differently, unless you like seeing him go home from games mad because they lost again
Ken

Post by Ken »

SoCalTrjn wrote:The main reason we hadnt been doing it is because these kids parents have schedules and it seems like the extra 10 minutes to exchange pleasentries with the opposition hasnt seemed to have been a priority
Well, color me surprised. Sportsmanship not a priority for the OC parents? Fucking epiphany over here.

There's a reason why so many others have such contempt for Cali's. Carry that flag proud, sparky.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

SoCalTrjn wrote: My responsibility is to my kids and their parents, to make sure their kids have a good time and if any of my kids parents came to me and said they thought we should do the good game thing, then I would, I do what is important to them. Every parent has said they want their kids to win and develop in to better baseball players, under my coaching, they have
Your responsibility as a head coach of a youth ball team is ensuring that you show up sober and on time for scheduled games and practices.

You can't "make sure" that kids have a good time, and you shouldn't be waiting for or expecting parents who are even more clueless than yourself to set the agenda for how your team conducts itself before, during, and after the game.

You are a clueless dumbfuck whom no parent should have ever entrusted their child to.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Forget it. SoCal is one of those posters. You know, the ones whose brain's overwhelming idiocy faaaaar exceeds any amount of force one could use to sledgehammer a sense of perspective and sense into.

Yeah, one of THOSE guys.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

For those of you who don't visit the CF forum, pile ons and SoCalTrjn threads go together like JTR and hand lotion.

Although this is one of the better ones I've seen.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Ken wrote:Forget it.
I would, except he's in an influential position with kids. I've coached kids, and I know where he's at. He needs a reality check.

All smack aside Trjn, realize that in a few more years, all that's happening to these kids now will be meaningless. Not to you, but to them. You think it's all about winning and collecting trophies that will gather dust on some shelf. It's not. Realize that the best thing that you can ever impart to the youngsters is a sense of fair play and sportsmanship.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Damn, Schmick . . . just . . . damn.

Eject. Now. This is not going well for you, and it'll only get worse if this thread gets longer.

The fact that you're on one side of this issue, and that every other poster who has appeared in this thread (who don't exactly make up a mutual admiration society) are on the other, should have told you out front.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

The meeting went off and was a total joke, only 1 board member said anything about the post game "good game" stuff, the other 4 were demanding that I have at least 1 more kid on the team. They dont want to have to face a team with 9 tough outs in the line up and a team that can field and pitch the ball well.
In none of the games that we have played, even the one we lost, has the other team lined up on the baseline for any "good game" pleasentries, like some of you have said, this is OC, if you want friendly neighbors, live somewhere else, that was just some bullshit they used to call the Board meeting.
There is a kid on my 11yo's USSSA team who is amazing, I may ask him to go out for my sons Pony team unless the Board says he has to go through a tryout or they demand I pull someone up from the lower division. If I have to pull up a lower Division kid Ill bring my 9 year old up, I just didnt want to ruin the team he was playing on by taking their best player.
One thing that I did tell the other parents tonight after the meeting is that we are going to run the score up if we can this next game. I want to mercy that team badly and then have my kids lineup for the "thanks for the effort" ceremony. Then Ill walk over to the Board Members and say "thank you"
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Rack your managing prowess, SoCal.
A manager is doing his duty when he's pushing the right buttons to lead his team to triumph.
Pussies that can't handle the facts of athletics can take up residence in French territory.

If opposition youth players are crying about your tactics it is building their character.
More racks to you.

And if opposition parents are crying for post game handshakes, they've never worn a jockstrap.

One recommendation: School your youngsters in the Jeffery Leonard 'one flap down' baserunning style on HR's.
More opposition crying, more character building, more of you doing your job.

Rack youth sports coaches who get it.
Eaglebauer
Elwood

Post by Eaglebauer »

SoCalTrjn wrote: All of the parents are going with me to this board meeting, at least 3 of the kids have Lawyers for fathers and all have offered their services.
Fucking off yourself.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I'm honestly shocked SoCal even coaches a baseball team, what with all his talk on this board about how anything other than bone-crushing full contact is a pussy sport.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I'm honestly shocked SoCal even coaches a baseball team, what with all his talk on this board about how anything other than bone-crushing full contact is a pussy sport.
Maybe he teaches how to slide with the spikes up for the most effective maiming :lol:

I bet his pitchers have a helluva a bean ball too.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:go together like JTR and hand lotion.

Best line I've read in quite sometime. RACK!
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Given that this thread is a page and change in length, I have to confess to being a little surprised that everyone so far has either passed on or missed this little gem:
SoCalTrjn wrote:My team lost their first game 5-4, at the time we had a 15 player roster and 4 of the players were extremely weak, none getting a hit and all 4 making errors.
After the next practice 2 quit, we won our next game 12-4 with 13 players, the 2 poor players didnt get hits in that game either but only one made errors.
The one who didnt make any errors broke his arm skateboarding that weekend and now he is the team assistant, the other quit.
So, let me see if I've got this straight.

Schmick begins the season with 15 players, of whom he categorizes four as "extremely weak." During the course of the season, he loses four players, one to injury and the other three quit. And the four that leave the team just happen to be his four "extremely weak" players. Hmmmmmm.

Now, far be it from me to suggest that Schmick had anything to do with the one kid breaking his arm. I don't think that even he is ruthless enough to hurt a kid on the off chance that it might improve his team (more on that kid later).

As to the other three, however, let's just say that I'm having a very tough time believing that all three of them reached the decision to quit entirely on their own. It wouldn't surprise me at all if their coach punished them for the unforgivable sin of being a little less talented than their teammates. Maybe their coach rode them a lot harder than anyone else, or embarrassed them in front of their teammates. Or maybe he merely suggested, in a fatherly manner, that there were other options available to them which might be a better use of their time.

In any event, if he convinced those kids to quit, one way or the other, he should be ashamed of himself. First, these are only 11 and 12 year old kids. There's no way of knowing what'll happen in the next 5 years, and the kids who are not the best players now might turn out to be better players in that time. Also, not only is he hurting those kids and their teammates, but he's hurting himself as well, although he doesn't know it. Coaches often have their fondest memories of the kids who displayed the most heart, desire, best attitude, whatever you want to call it. Thing is, often times these are not the most talented kids on the team. In fact, I'd submit that more often than not, they are definitely not the most talented kids on the team. Often, they're kids who are realistic enough to know that they're not the best players on the team, or even remotely close to that. But they're also kids who want to play badly, and feel that they need to compensate with attitude for what they lack in talent.

As for the kid with the broken arm, it's impossible to tell the timing involved, but I can tell you from experience (my kid broke his foot over the winter) that broken bones heal quicker for them, assuming no complications, than they do for adults. It would appear to be at least possible that the kid could be healed before the season ends. What then? Certainly, by staying involved with the team even with the broken arm, it would seem to me that he's earned the courtesy of being reinstated should that happen.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I'm honestly shocked SoCal even coaches a baseball team, what with all his talk on this board about how anything other than bone-crushing full contact is a pussy sport.
True dat.
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

trots.
mvscal wrote:
PSUFAN wrote:Seriously - I think we need a different approach - strong, intelligent, principled, and fresh. Obama seems to fit the bill for me best at this point.
Then you are a fucking fool. Straight up. Obama is the dumbest motherfucker who has ever run for President.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

The kid with the broken bone shattered his forearm and had a pin a plate and a few screws holding it together, he told me he would be out at least 12 weeks.
As for the other 3, 2 had signed up to play Little League as well and had scheduling conflicts, our season started earlier, I cant say why they chose Little League over Pony, maybe they ran and did push ups less on their Little league teams. The third kids parents are getting divorced and neither of them remain living in the area
I do instruct my middle infielders to make the toss to 1st side-arm on double play balls, that will either force the base runner in to his slide earlier or he will catch a ball between his midsection and his head.
I also have them forcefully tag baserunners on pick off attempts
I havent taught cleats up slides but have taught them to lower their shoulder when running on the bases if an opponent is blocking their path especially at home
None of my pitchers have hit a batter unless the other team has hit one of our batters first. In one game the opposing pitcher hit the first 2 batters in our line up on 2 pitches. His next 2 at bats, he was hit, but that was the kids doing, I never said anything to them about it.
SaladTosser
Violet the Organ Grinder

Post by SaladTosser »

Great thread. As a father of two young boys, who is every bit as competitive as the next guy, I am really surprised that this cat is actually trying to sell this shit as acceptable. Hopefully, it's a troll job, but I have a feeling that it's not. I mean, at 11-12 years old it is all about sportsmanship, exercise, friendly competition, social skills, team work, following rules, a certain level of discipline but, most of all, having fun and being a kid.

I honestly feel bad for the four kids who you probably forced to quit. This isn't a 17-18-year-old traveling team you are coaching. It's a handful of sixth graders. At this point in their lives, the kind of pressure you probably put on those kids is unacceptable. Believe me, I'm not a tree-hugging liberal who believes dodge ball and all other competition-based activities should be banned in schools. Competition is a part of life, and kids need to understand that and be introduced to it on a gradual basis.

At a young age, in my opinion, sportsmanship and other life skills you could pass along to these kids is much more valuable than teaching them to bunt a runner over or choke up and swing more conservatively with two strikes. I'm guessing, but I can't imagine more than 1 of every 10,000 11-12-year-old little leaguers every play professional baseball. What the fuck are you trying to accomplish, man?

Honestly, if my kid was on your team, even if he was one of your stronger players, I wouldn't play your bullshit. Not shaking hands with the other team at the end of the game?!?!?!? Are you fucking kidding me??!!? Actually, if I was a father of the other team, I would wear your ass out in front of everyone. Not physically, but I would call you out as the pussy you are.

I can picture you now. You are "that" coach in every one of those shitty HBO and Lifetime movies, wearing those grey, tight, polyester, 1982 coaches shorts, who slams his clipboard down when his team loses to the team of "inferior good kids."

What a fucking tool, man.
Bizzarofelice wrote:I drank as much orange soda as an inner city block party.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

SaladTosser wrote: I am really surprised that this cat is actually trying to sell this shit as acceptable. Hopefully, it's a troll job, but I have a feeling that it's not.

^^^ Not familiar with SoCalToeJam's body of "work."
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one