It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

All you mean message board people......

Post by Neely8 »

Online anonymity lets users gets nasty By JOCELYN NOVECK, AP National Writer
Wed Mar 21, 9:58 AM ET

When a California woman recently gave birth to a healthy baby just two days after learning she was pregnant, the sudden change to her life was challenging enough. What April Branum definitely didn't need was a deluge of nasty Internet comments.

Postings on message boards made cracks about Branum's weight (about 400 pounds — one reason she says didn't realize sooner she was pregnant). They also analyzed her housekeeping ability, based on a photo of her home. And they called her names. "A pig is a pig," one person wrote. Another suggested that she "go on the show 'The Biggest Loser.'"

"The thing that bothered me most was, people assumed because I am overweight, I'm going to be a bad mom," Branum says. "And that is not one little bit true."

It was yet another example of how the Internet — and the anonymity it affords — has given a public stage to people's basest thoughts, ones that in earlier eras likely never would have traveled past the watercooler, the kitchen table or the next barstool.

Such incidents — and there are countless across cyberspace — also raise the question: Is there anything to be done about it? Or is a decline in civil discourse simply the price that we pay for the advance of technology?

"The Internet really amplifies everything," says Jeffrey Cole, of the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Southern California. "We have a lot of opinions out there. All of a sudden there's a place we can go to share them." Add to that the freedom that anonymity provides, he says, and it "can lead to a rowdy Wild West situation, with no one to filter it."

"It's all things said reflexively, without thinking," says Cole, who tracks the political and social impact of the Internet as director of Annenberg's Center for the Digital Future.

"My guess is that if you went back to these people, a lot of them would have second thoughts." And if you asked them to add their name, as in a traditional letter to the editor? "They'd be embarrassed."

There are examples everywhere of anonymous comments that cause harm. On even the most innocuous sites — a parenting message board, for example — anonymity often leads to the type of response that would hardly be likely if names were attached.

"People post insults on here left and right," one person wrote Monday on the New York edition of urbanbaby.com, a networking site for new mothers. "It seems the common word these posts have is Fat. Just because someone is overweight, fat, thick whatever you call us, doesn't mean we are ugly, lazy or insecure ... So stop the childish remarks."

News organizations, struggling to find ways to keep their readers involved in an increasingly digital and interactive world, are trying to strike the right balance.

Branum's case fueled debate at the Orange County Register, whose Web site had only recently added a public comment section after news stories. OCRegister.com deputy editor Jeff Light says the site has modified its message board, only six weeks old, in response to staff concerns about inappropriate posts. Now, among other changes, language is more specific about what the site expects from those who post, and how a comment can be deleted.

Ideally, Light says, it's the users, not the site's operators, that should determine what is discussed, and how. "The comment area is not a journalistic space," he says. "The point is for people to react freely."

And Yahoo News took down its message boards completely in December, with the goal of finding a new system that doesn't let a small group of vocal users dominate the discourse. "Our hope is to raise the value of the conversation," says Yahoo spokesman Brian Nelson.

Harm can be much greater when people are singled out by name on the Web; such attacks can hurt someone's career or home life. One entrepreneur is trying to help people recover from such attacks with a company he started last year: ReputationDefender.

"It takes one person 20 minutes to destroy your reputation, and it costs them nothing," says Michael Fertik, who employs about 40 part-time "agents" on what he calls "search and destroy" missions against unwarranted Internet attacks. "It can take you 200 hours to try to clean it up."

Fertik, who says his is the only company providing such a service, has clients ranging from victims of unfair comments on dating Web sites to people who feel they've been mistreated on MySpace.com. He also is helping several female law students fight what they call defamatory sexist and racist comments on a message board widely read in the legal community. Their story was reported earlier this month by The Washington Post.

Fertik says he offers "a PR service for the everyday person," charging a fee that can be as low as $10 monthly, for a thorough search of Internet references. The "destroy" part starts with a polite letter and can occasionally lead to threatened legal action. (Generally, Web site operators are not liable for offensive postings.)

One person who takes it pretty much in stride is Branum, the California woman who was unaware she was pregnant until Feb. 26, two days before she gave birth. Her sister had alerted the newspaper to the story. Neither of them anticipated the nasty comments that rolled in.

But, Branum says, "it's America. People are going to say what they're going to say. It's going to be everywhere, and you can't stop it. Anybody's allowed." She says the flip side was the posts that came in defending her — and the cards and letters from people she didn't know, wishing her luck.

Her fiance was less forgiving, even calling the paper to complain. Branum said she had a simple response for him: "Deal with it."
So she finds out she is preganant, drops the kid two days later, and expects nobody to comment on it?

The part I find interesting is the guy setting up a business of trying to protect people from scum like us! HILARIOUS!!!
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: All you mean message board people......

Post by BSmack »

Neely8 wrote:So she finds out she is preganant, drops the kid two days later, and expects nobody to comment on it?

The part I find interesting is the guy setting up a business of trying to protect people from scum like us! HILARIOUS!!!
Pardon me, but we are Scum of the Earth.

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
SexieLexie
Crack Whore

Post by SexieLexie »

Something about...it's just a message board...internet...

You guys had better not say soemthing mean, or I'm hiring Reputation Defender!
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Neely8 wrote:So she finds out she is preganant, drops the kid two days later, and expects nobody to comment on it?

Fucking LINK? Did you even read your own story?

"One person who takes it pretty much in stride is Branum"

But, Branum says, "it's America. People are going to say what they're going to say."

Her fiance was less forgiving, even calling the paper to complain. Branum said she had a simple response for him: "Deal with it."
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

That's very big of her.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
SexieLexie
Crack Whore

Post by SexieLexie »

Tom In VA wrote:That's very big of her.
I'm reporting you.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

What do I have to do to avoid the ton of trouble I might get into ?
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Fat chance of getting out of this one Tom.
SexieLexie
Crack Whore

Post by SexieLexie »

It's too late. It's already been typed and sent over the interwebs. It is now known as fact, as given by Tom in VA. Sorry, I wish I could help.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

That's a huge lie, SL.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Damn, there must be a huge weight on their shoulders.
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

What an immense responsibility ReputationDefender has.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Yes, hope they don't start blubbering about it.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:

Fucking LINK? Did you even read your own story?

"One person who takes it pretty much in stride is Branum"

But, Branum says, "it's America. People are going to say what they're going to say."

When a California woman recently gave birth to a healthy baby just two days after learning she was pregnant, the sudden change to her life was challenging enough. What April Branum definitely didn't need was a deluge of nasty Internet comments.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Why do I always get in trouble ? I must be a glutton for punishment.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

That's one whale of a story.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Just stop feeding off all of the guilt Tom. Chins up man, chins up.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Neely8 wrote:What April Branum definitely didn't need was a deluge of nasty Internet comments.

Good God. Did April Branum say that? No, she did not. That's the writer's take.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Neely that's a part of the article; it's not a direct quote of what the glowing mother said. Looks to be more like the opinion of the writer. Who then gives testimony that it doesn't bother her or rather that "she's taking in stride."

All I know is that I hope the scales of justice prevail over a case so large.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Obese serious Tom.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

Tom In VA wrote:Neely that's a part of the article; it's not a direct quote of what the glowing mother said. Looks to be more like the opinion of the writer. Who then gives testimony that it doesn't bother her or rather that "she's taking in stride."

All I know is that I hope the scales of justice prevail over a case so large.
Well it is also followed up by her saying:
"The thing that bothered me most was, people assumed because I am overweight, I'm going to be a bad mom," Branum says. "And that is not one little bit true."
She said that bothered her "the most" which means that other things about people commenting bothered her as well. Whatever. I think the main thing was my second point about a company trying to protect people from message board posts.....
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

I'm reluctant to adapos to this thread for risk of being sued
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I think the writer was just fishing for a big story, maybe even a whale of a story.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

We'll be hearing about this one until the cows come home.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

I still think would be an oversize load for our justice system.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Apparently you guys don't understand the gravity of the situation here.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

If you get stuck with court costs, Tom, consider having a white elephant sale.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Neely8 wrote:I think.

Your first mistake.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

And whatever you do whilst in court, do not take the Lards' name in vain.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

greasing a few palms might also help.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

So, she's such a mountain of disgusting humanity that a pregnancy went totally unnoticed...what else doesn't she notice? How are we to know that she hadn't simply sat on an infant, encasing it into her stretchmarked voluminous folds?

What are the internet commentors supposed to say to this?

"boy, you're looking well!"
"May we throw you a baby shower...or encourage shower of any kind?"
"it's a shame that the uncaring fashion world doesn't recognize your beauty, but WE do! Under all of that acrid flesh, your true glowing beauty shines forth! YES, I'll contribute to your denture fund, so you can once again contentedly gnaw at Pringles and Olestra Ahoy!"

THEN, the fiancee of this eugenifest steps forward to defend her honor, and she screams him down?
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Would it have offended her if they simply told her she looked flabulous?
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

This has become a very weighty matter.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

It was really big of the husband to stick by his wife through this. I imagine he'll be tempted to run for the hills but I bet he's climbed many a mountain with his wife. The thick and thin of his matter is that everyone is ok.
SexieLexie
Crack Whore

Post by SexieLexie »

You guys are bad. Funny, but bad.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

Because of you Tom might have to pork over some dough.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Indeed, Tom was beginning to lean the right way, but then he made his fatal mistake.
SexieLexie
Crack Whore

Post by SexieLexie »

Mister Bushice wrote:Because of you Tom might have to pork over some dough.
But if he fattens the hog, don't we all benefit?
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

He might have to paunch someone in the gut over this.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

That is the way Tom rolls