Your all-time favorite college player?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Your all-time favorite college player?

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

I realize some have mentioned this in the past, but I don't think it's ever been the topic of a thread. Mine:

(Green jersey pic for Van, since I know how much he loves it.)

Yeah, I realize Montana did not exactly have the best college career of any ND QB. But he was the guy there when I really got hooked on the program. Some of my fondest memories of ND football include Joe Montana -- the '77 green jersey game vs. USC (after that, ND wore the green jerseys as their home uniforms for the rest of Devine's tenure); the Cotton Bowl win over Texas later that year that gave ND the national championship, along with a little help from Arkansas vs. Oklahoma; and the chicken soup Cotton Bowl game vs. Houston the following year.

And even as a kid between the ages of 12-14, I could see that Montana had that little something that made him destined for greatness. No disrespect meant to either Rusty Lisch or Gary Forystek, but to this day I still can't figure out how either of them wound up starting over Montana for a time.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Chiming For Fags

Post by 420 »

You should add s to player... since I and most have more than one.

Jimmy Medalions
Student Body Right

Post by Jimmy Medalions »

This dude.

Couldashoulda won the Heisman, was a national champion twice in football and was THE guy in one of the more storied rivalry games of all time.

A lithograph of the dude hangs in my office, from the game above, about to get six.
the_ouskull
Vince's Heisman Celebration

Post by the_ouskull »

Don't laugh, *ssholes... A lot of you seem to forget how great he was in college.

Yeah, you already know...

-- 2-time Butkus winner. Still the only one.
-- 2-time All-American.
-- 3-time All-Conference.
-- Academic All-American.

413 career tackles. (That's 11 per game...) 12 career sacks for a loss of 10.2 yards per. 39 career tackles for loss, forcing 191 yards of losses. 31 wins, only 4 losses, and one BULLSHIT tie.

He didn't dominate QB's. He only got 12 career sacks for an average of .33 per game. He only had 1 career interception. But he DID dominate RB's. His TFL's averaged almost 5 yards per. He recorded 11 tackles per game, with a school-record (and that's saying something) 22 against Miami in a game that he literally killed himself to try to win.

Yeah, it's The Boz. Every kid in Oklahoma, and probably a lot more across the nation than many will care to admit, wanted to be The Boz. (I can HAPPILY say, however, that I never got the haircut. He said it in his book best, "It looks stupid on a round head.")

What he meant to getting Oklahoma back to a National Championship can never be understated... and that's why he came here.

the_ouskull

Post Script -- Even as a die-hard Bosworth fan, I'm not so foolish as to believe that something wasn't up with him. I don't think he's a Barry Bonds kinda guy though. It makes me sad that all of the great things he did on the field are tainted by the cloud of steroids and by his antics off of the field.

...and his movies. (Except Stone Cold, which was awesome...)

So that's my "disclaimer" or whatever. At least I picked a Sooner as my favorite Sooner and not Chris Simms...
Congrats, Wags. Good win.
War Stoops
Elwood

Post by War Stoops »

Superman

Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

I got two words for the Boz:

Bo

Jackson
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

Gordie Lockbaum
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Jimmy Medalions wrote:This dude.

Couldashoulda won the Heisman, was a national champion twice in football and was THE guy in one of the more storied rivalry games of all time.

A lithograph of the dude hangs in my office, from the game above, about to get six.

We played against AD whilst he was a QB at San Fernando. Beat 'em 19-12 at their place (during the day due to prior gang activity)....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

JC Watts. unitil Tommie Frazer, probably the best run-pass option QB. a true artist.

JC, or Thomas Lott. Switzer claims he was the best pure wishbone QB ever.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Curt Warner was long my favorite PSU player. I think he might have been supplanted by Posluszny, but I'll have to see how that settles after a few years.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Steve Emtman
BOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Homer pick -- probably Chris Miller.

All around -- Probably have to go with Herschel.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

This guy is in my top 5...

E UNUM PLURIBUS
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Since we're mentioning honorable mentions, I'll add a few . . .

^^^ He left ND as its all-time leading rusher, although that has since been eclipsed. [Zysdale]My classmate at ND.

I actually met him before anyone had ever heard of him. One day early in my freshman year, he happened to be in the dining hall for breakfast at the same time as me and a few of my friends. We all had early morning classes, were eating right before class and the dining hall was pretty much deserted right then. He sat down with us.[/Zysdale] A real nice guy.

^^^ Another guy who woulda coulda shoulda won the Heisman. Simply the most electrifying college player I had ever seen, at least until Reggie Bush came along.

Unfortunately, both of these guys had somewhat disappointing pro careers. Pinkett wound up in a situation where there were a glut of running backs and a system that did not utilize them to a significant degree. Rocket was too small to be an impact player in the NFL, and his speed was not the factor at that level that it was in college.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

Carson wrote:I got two words for the Boz:

Bo

Jackson
And I got two words for Carson...

Try.

Originality.

NObody in the league could have made that play on Bo, given the angle and the head of steam Bo already had. That Boz at least tried to make it says a lot more about him than some random, drive-by, "Bo Jackson" post... although the same post, coupled with the fact that ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTIONS AT HAND says quite a bit about you.

the_ouskull
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Post by Mississippi Neck »

Home team favorite: Shaun King - Tulane; led Green Wave to a 12-0 record, #7 final ranking with a broken wrist sustained in third game of season

Maybe its just recent memory but I cant recall two more exciting players to watch than Reggie Bush and Vince Young.
maverick. maverick. maverick. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

1. Anthony Carter

HM's....

Desmond
Jimmy Harbaugh
Woodson
Ty Wheatly
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

the_ouskull wrote:

Bo

Jackson

Try.

Originality.

NObody in the league could have made that play on Bo, given the angle and the head of steam Bo already had. That Boz at least tried to make it says a lot more about him than some random, drive-by, "Bo Jackson" post... although the same post, coupled with the fact that ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTIONS AT HAND says quite a bit about you.

the_ouskull
You melted easier than butter in a microwave.

As far as answering the question, which is clearly asked in this thread's title, I said all I needed to say. The legend of Bo Jackson is known by most all, unlike Brian Bosworth, who only Okie homers even care to remember.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Bo Jackson is the greatest athlete of all time and the fact he wasnt even on ESPN's top 100 of the 20th century made their entire list worthless and invalid. No other athlete was even named to the all star games of 2 differnet sports, BO was MVP in them.

if we're going with honorable mentions.
and Junior Seau, David Webb and Ronnie Lott if I could find pics of them in their USC unis
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Peter Warrick - Most electrifying player I have ever seen in person.

HM's:

Chris Weinke
Greg Jones
Last edited by Cicero on Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

Carson wrote:
the_ouskull wrote:

Bo

Jackson

Try.

Originality.

the_ouskull
You melted easier than butter in a microwave.

As far as answering the question, which is clearly asked in this thread's title, I said all I needed to say. The legend of Bo Jackson is known by most all, unlike Brian Bosworth, who only Okie homers even care to remember.
Spoken like a true idiot that got called out for an even more idiotic drive-by and only knows how to backpedal by trying to claim meltdown... Why don't you ask somebody who started watching college football before the formation of the BCS about Brian Bosworth...?

the_ouskull
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Marshall Faulk at SDSU was unbelievable.It was as if the defense was just standing still.

Randall Cunningham was fun to watch too.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Chiming For Fags

Post by 420 »

ImageImageImage

Pic 1... Simply the Best

Pic 2... The "Junkyard Dog"... put 11 in the box and you're still not going to stop him. CF's first "Superman"

Pic 3... The best "Wishbone" qb in History... hands down. I remember wearing a "bandana" in Pop Warner because I liked this guy so much, and I played tailback.

I came home one night drunk as shit and was trying to call my girlfriend in high school for 10 minutes... as my dad stood in the doorway and watched.

He took me upstairs and threw me in the bath tub and turned the shower on... I didn't remember a thing!

Next day...

Dad: Have a good time last night?

truth: Why?

Dad: After I threw your ass in the shower last night, all you kept saying was... "They'd never do this to Earl Campbell"!

Finally met Earl... (long story)

Two tiime Heisman Trophy winner... nuff said.

Bert Jones... best arm I've ever seen.

ImageImageImage

Pic 1. Smooth, and you knew he was the best.

Pic 2. AD

Pic 3. I remember this guy running on the beach with leg weights in the sand getting ready for the season.

Pic 4. Sam "the Bam" Cunningham... I'm still friends with his little brother, from our days of playing pick-up basketball games at La Cumbra Jr. High in Santa Barbara. Some of you may know the fella'.

Pic 1. Joe Roth ... what can I say?

Could have been the best ever! Sorry Joe Montana.

I'll let Barry Switzer(coach) of the Oklahoma Sooners put it into words...

There were a number of articles written about Joe around the time of his death. One such article, written by Nick Peters, provides a recount of Joe's football career at Cal. A part of the article quotes Barry Switzer as saying, "Roth is the Best I've faced as a coach. None of the others had such a quick delivery with such a great arm while throwing such a soft ball--all of his should be caught." This particular article continues to describe at length Joe's courage and toughness in California's 1976 game against the Sooners at Norman, Oklahoma--a grueling experience for Joe, and one which foreshadowed the more difficult ordeal that was soon to come.

Joe Roth died of Cancer at 21... before he could graduate from Cal

Pic 2. Steve Bartkowski... one of the most accurate arms ever in College and the Pro's!

Pic 3. Chuck Muncie... you had to be there. He was Eric Dickerson without the best O Line in NFL history.

Pic 4. Wesley Walker... cant find him in Cal gear, but he played here. You may remember him from one of the greatest NFL playoff games ever played. Miami and San Diego.

and last but not least... Can you name this guy, with the best name ever for a quarterback???

PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

rack m200l. Nice post.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Chiming For Fags

Post by 420 »

Thanks PSU, I've been watching College Football longer than... fuck it.

Frozen, tell me this...

Did you google "Sonny Sixkiller" or did you really see him play?

Not that it matters much.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

Dat was awesome to watch play, Frisco...

the_ouskull
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

the_ouskull wrote:Why don't you ask somebody who started watching college football before the formation of the BCS about Brian Bosworth...?

the_ouskull
Dude, I was in school at Auburn when both Bo and this Boz freak you are infatuated with were playing college ball.

And excuuuuuse me for not having 500 pictures of Bo stored on my hard drive so I can avoid "drive-by" posting.

Boz only got the media's attention because of his bad haircut and jewelry back in the '80s. Bo had a speech impediment, so he did his talking by running over and past linemen, linebackers and safeties.

Are you still on the rag about Stoops' paychecks?
the_ouskull

Post by the_ouskull »

Boz only got the media's attention because of his bad haircut and jewelry back in the 80's.
Sincerely,
You're a Dumbass

the_ouskull
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i remember that Chuck Muncie SI cover. Sims was the best i ever saw in person (all his home games in the Heisman year, and senior year). he had everything speed, power, moves, style, etc. he doesn't fumble, after making a NU db miss on a freak move, in 78 in Lincoln he wins the H twice and OU wins the national championship. They dominated NU in the rematch. offensive backfield: JC Watts, Kenny King, David Overstreet, Billy Sims. only Watts didn't play in the NFL, and was MVP of the CFL.

I'd be remiss to not mention Joe Washington. EVERYBODY wanted to be Little Joe on the Norman grade school playground. helluva a nice guy, too.

rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

and

and

John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

The greatest player I ever saw in the Maize and Blue.

Period.
Those who stay will be champions.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

My all time favorite, without a doubt, was this man:

Every time he had the ball, he was a threat to score. He saved his best performances for when it counted most. Had he been in an offensive system that bulilt the offense around him, he would have some unbelieveable records.

HM:

Best name ever for a linebacker:

Biggest heart I've ever seen:
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Podolak is now on the Chiefs ring of honor at Arrowhead Stadium. Actually, 2 former Hawkeyes are. Podolak and John Alt. Not only was Eddie a great football player but he is also quite the drinker!

I don''t have an all-time favorite but my list of favorites would include Matt Rogers (QB Iowa), Danny Wuerfful (QB Florida), Abdul Hodge (LB Iowa), Chad Greenway (LB Iowa), Matt Roth (DE Iowa), Chuck Long (QB Iowa), Merton Hanks (DB Iowa), Carlos "The Assassin" James (DB Iowa), Jacquez Green (WR/KR Florida), Dallas Clark (TE Iowa), Jared Clauss (DT Iowa), amongst many others.
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

Bar none ... Billy Sims.
GrizBearStare
Elwood

Post by GrizBearStare »

Nebraska:

Calvin Jones

Montana:

Craig Ochs
From the moment we leave the forest, Dan, it's all a givin' up and adjustin'.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

Is there a picture of Karl Hungus? ;)
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Killian wrote:Best name ever for a linebacker:

Yup can't beat Stonebreaker...even surpasses Michigan linebacker names like Sam Sword and Jarret Irons.
Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Post by Danimal »

Tommy Frazier-Took us to two MNC's and would have had a third against FSU if we had a better kicker or could buy a freaking call. He isn't the nicest guy in real-life, half his team quit when he got the reigns of a local NAIA-team, but geez he was a money player.

You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?