Vista: Anyone have it?

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Vista: Anyone have it?

Post by Rack Fu »

I picked up a copy but haven't installed it yet.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Over all I'm not very excited by Vista. For one, it will not run on older machines so that means upgrading. I'm also fairly certain that it will have a lot of security issues. Finally, I just don't see any huge improvements.
chargerfan
Elwood

Post by chargerfan »

Was thinking about buying it but don't want to pay for the full version. Wanted to buy the upgrade version since I own the full version of XP Professional but heard I can't partition my hard drive and have xp + Vista installed with the upgrade version so i can switch between the 2 operating systems. Didn't want to run into any incompatability issues with software I still use. Think I'll wait a bit and pick a full version up on ebay once the hype and prices come down online.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

I plan on installing it on my laptop, which runs a lot less stuff than my desktop. I just use the laptop to surf the net, download tunes and watch movies while traveling. Therefore, I'm not too worried about potential incompatability issues.

I'm leaving the desktop as is for now.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

chargerfan wrote:Was thinking about buying it but don't want to pay for the full version. Wanted to buy the upgrade version since I own the full version of XP Professional but heard I can't partition my hard drive and have xp + Vista installed with the upgrade version so i can switch between the 2 operating systems. Didn't want to run into any incompatability issues with software I still use. Think I'll wait a bit and pick a full version up on ebay once the hype and prices come down online.
I don't know what kind of rig you have but you might try Virtual PC, it's free.....

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... s/sp1.mspx
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Fuck DRM. The next OS upgrade I'll be making will probably be Ubuntu or another Linux Distro.

Vista is a release that is geared toward manufacturers and commercial content purveyors, as opposed to consumers.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
verbal
nine inch male

Post by verbal »

I installed RC1 with zero problems. It looks cool but it is a fucking memory hog. I have to say it was the smoothest MS OS install I have ever done.
I picked up Vista Ultimate and did a clean install on a new SONY VAIO and it runs great. I would like nothing more than to bad mouth it, but thus far there has been no reason to.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

I've had two issues with Vista so far. First, I have one of those N-draft wireless routers. Belkin has yet to release Vista drivers for the N1 wireless USB adapter. So, I'm back to the 54 Mbps 802.11g connection. Kind of miss the 300 Mbps connection. Not too big of a deal though. I'm sure drivers are on the way.

Second, I use Norton Internet Security 2006, which has no Vista support. I still have several months left on my subscription and sure as hell don't want to upgrade to NIS 2007 just yet (or any other anti-virus/firewall software). May not have a choice though.

Otherwise, I like Vista. Not a giant leap over XP but it does seem a lot more user friendly and flows from task to task really well.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Fixed the Norton issue. They had an update you could download and re-enter your product key.