guitar hero II

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Screw_Michigan

guitar hero II

Post by Screw_Michigan »

after resisting the urge of playing guitar hero for the longest time, i finally picked it up and love it. i saw kids playing it at a couple parties and heard them playing the shitty songs, so i wasn't real impressed. but once i picked up the guitar and started playing, i fell in love. i especially love the new songs on the new GH.

i used to think message in a bottle was so overplayed on the radio, and i was never much a police fan. but i got to admit, message in a bottle is one sweet fucking song and a hell of a song to play. i love how on the new version of the game the second player can play either the bass notes or the accompanying guitar licks.

my other favorite songs to play are can't you hear me knockin', yyz, war pigs, and killing in the name. too bad the game omits the "fuck" in fuck you i won't do what you tell me.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

It comes out on the Xbox 360 early next year and I can't wait. A friend of mine's kid kept his PS2 just to play GH & GH2. I really suck at it but it's fun.

I was in Best Buy last week and some uberdork was playing Megadeth's Hangar 18 on the highest difficulty setting and got over 90% accuracy. That was impressive.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

i have a whole newfound respect for mustaine and megadeth after trying to play symphony of destruction. i don't think i could ever play hangar 18 on expert.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Play "Freebird", dude.

8)
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Screw_Michigan wrote:i have a whole newfound respect for mustaine and megadeth after trying to play symphony of destruction. i don't think i could ever play hangar 18 on expert.
It was sick. All five buttons come into play, with a whole slew of two and three button combo notes (using the 3rd, 4th and 5th buttons). All the while the screen is scrolling at warp speed. I tried playing "Bark At The Moon" in GH1 on expert and didn't last 20 seconds. I recall actually hitting two or three notes.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

You want to know how to gain even greater respect for Mustaine, or Jake E. Lee, or any of the other guitarists you're playing? try playing their music on a guitar that has strings and not plastic buttons.

And if you're the type who plays this stuff in Best Buy, you and every other dork who ever hit the Dance Dance Revolution pad should be dragged out and beaten until your eyeball pop out. And then someone should kick you for good measure.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Headhunter wrote:You want to know how to gain even greater respect for Mustaine, or Jake E. Lee, or any of the other guitarists you're playing? try playing their music on a guitar that has strings and not plastic buttons.
no fucking shit? you've GOT to be kidding. :meds: :meds: :meds: :meds: :meds: :meds: :meds: :meds: :meds: :meds: :meds: :meds:
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Headhunter wrote:You want to know how to gain even greater respect for Mustaine, or Jake E. Lee, or any of the other guitarists you're playing? try playing their music on a guitar that has strings and not plastic buttons.
I tried that years ago, and you know what? Guitar Hero is more fun.

Thanks for the elitism, douche. Not like this was the video game forum or anything.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

I usually only need to listen to those guys play to gain respect.

But I'd sure like to see a video of you guys playing that little plastic guitar. :)
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Mister Bushice wrote: But I'd sure like to see a video of you guys playing that little plastic guitar. :)
No chance! :twisted:
Tiny
Is it football season yet?

Post by Tiny »

My stepson brought GH2 home tonight....it was payday for him yesterday, and gameday today.

Up until last year when he bought the first guitar hero, most of that music was "just old crap that he would never listen to..." Now he has a greater respect for the music, even though it may not be his style.
Watching him try to play Megadeth's Symphony of Destruction was classic shit....Even though he was a band geek in high school, and a computer geek since birth, he still struggled like a MoFo, just trying to keep up.
At the time I told him I had the CD in the radio of my truck, in case he wanted to hear the real thing....he wasn't impressed.
Winston Wolf:
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car!
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

Rack Fu wrote:
I tried that years ago, and you know what? Guitar Hero is more fun.

Thanks for the elitism, douche. Not like this was the video game forum or anything.
Now see if you can follow along here, Agent Fuck knuckle

I'm not bashing the game, or those who play it (at home), what I'm stating is that you can find a "greater" respect by actually trying to play their music on a musical instrument. Try thinking about the absurdity that you somehow find 'respect' for a professional musician by mashing plastic buttons on a plastic guitar as that corresponding button's color scolls by on a TV. It's not musical skill, it's not sight reading. It takes absolutely no discernable musical talent to play that game. It's a simple hand eye coordination test, combined with memory. Think of it like simon on steroids. Did you find new respect for Beethoven when Simon belted out red-red-red-blue and it sounded like Beethoven's 5th? I think Tiny's Stepson buttresses that opinion in the fact that one would think as a band geek he has some musical skill, as well as the ability to sight read, yet neither helped at all.

And where you find my elitism, is in the fact that you tried playing guitar and either gave up, or failed. So you percieve this as a slight towards you, or anyone else who doesn't play guitar. Pure ignorance on your part. I could give two shits about what you find to be more fun. I made absolutley no remarks about what is fun, or isn't. Just a remark about how to obtain "greater' respect. But I wouldn't expect a piss mop like you to actually be able to comprehend the text that appears on your screen.

I'm also guessing you've found yourself being the ridiculous douchebag in Best Buy playing this game and trying to look like a rock star and took offense to my remark as it hit a little too close to home. If that's the case, I pity you. As you obviously don't have a single shred of humility. But props to you for not giving a shit how foolish you look to others. Without that lack of humility, we'd never be graced with your presence on this or any other board, as you'd have swallowed a shot-gun years ago.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

A) I never said I somehow found a greater respect for musicians while playing GH. Screw Michigan said that, Einstein. So go aim your drivel somewhere else, windmill.

B) I hope you play the guitar better than you can fucking read because your reading skills fall somewhere between that of a common house plant and a four year old. Tell me where I said that I was playing the game in Best Buy? Oh yeah, that doesn't fit in with your made up story and your post would've stopped at "Now."

C) So you had no intention of being an elitist dick when you felt like doing a drive-by on the fucking video game forum? You knew damn well what Screw Michigan's intention was when he started this thread yet you felt the need to talk down to him. Then again, maybe you didn't. Your mastery of reading comprehension being what it is and all. If he posted this in the music forum or the general forum, well, it would be fair game. Once again, we're talking about video games and not becoming the new lead guitarist for Van Halen. I'm sure there's some musical masturbation thread up in the Cul-de-Smack that you could have dropped this stool sample off on.

What's on your agenda next? Telling us how we can gain a better appreciation of baseball by going to bat against Johan Santana. Or maybe, how to gain a greater appreciation of the game of tennis by playing Roger Federer. I loved the video game, Fight Night Round 3. I think I'll go fight Roy Jones Jr. or Bernard Hopkins so that I can really appreciate what it must be like being a boxer.

Fucking dolt.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

I tell you what, if you start dropping threads that say how you have a new found respect for Johan Santana because you can't hit his change up in mlb 2006 you're damn fucking straight I'd make a comment on it. Do you now see the adsurdity of such a statement? You think in real life a ∆ > ∆ > □ is going to get you a knock-out against Hopkins? How stupid would it be to make a statement about how you have newfound respect for him as a fighter because of the ass kicking you took in a video game?

But of course you're on top of the whole change-up thing, right? Some kid threw you one in little league? You're down with upper-cuts, right? you took one to the chin in Junior High, Right. But never mind all that... The video game world is much more fun.

So to sum it up, yeah, if you're in here spouting off about a video game and how that relates to the real world in any way other than entertainment value, I'll suggest you step up to the plate against Santana. Hopefully he'll put one in your ear for being a tard!
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

The point being that he made a statement in the video game forum. You came in here with the sole intention of being a fucking knob. I'm pretty sure that he knows the difference between hitting a few buttons on a PS2 controller and actually playing a Megadeth song on an actual guitar. Obviously, he made that comment in light of how hard it must be to play a guitar at that kind of speed and rhythm since it's damn near impossible to do it on something that only involves button mashing and a bit of hand-eye coordination.

You took an elitist swipe at him. Admit it and move on.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

And this makes me an elitist exactly how? If by virtue of being a guitarist myself, and understanding exactly what is required to play these songs, then yeah, damn fucking skippy I took a swipe at an utterly indefensible statement. Yet here you are trying to defend it.

I'll not even get into how difficult or easy Symphony of Destruction is to play on guitar. I'll let you wallow about in your beliefs of the difficulty of the song based on the tempo, and how fast the "magic button markers" scroll by. That is, of course, the standard by which to judge a musician. Tool.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Headhunter wrote:I'll not even get into how difficult or easy Symphony of Destruction is to play on guitar. I'll let you wallow about in your beliefs of the difficulty of the song based on the tempo, and how fast the "magic button markers" scroll by.
Once again, your reading comprehension skills are piss poor at best.
Headhunter wrote:That is, of course, the standard by which to judge a musician. Tool.
Where did I assert that this was some sort of standard by which to judge a musician?

I stated: "Obviously, he made that comment in light of how hard it must be to play a guitar at that kind of speed and rhythm since it's damn near impossible to do it on something that only involves button mashing and a bit of hand-eye coordination."

For the 50th time, if you could read, you'd realize that you're a stupid fuck. I hope musical notes are easier to read than words typed in English. If not, you must suck at playing guitar because you're sure as hell not setting the world on fire with your intellect.

When your IQ hits the numerical equivalent of room temperature, we'll talk again. Probably around the time that pigs fly or hell freezes over.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

If you're going to go to the reading comprehension card over and over again, you may want to re-read what I said about Symphony of Destruction... See if you can find more than one qualifier. Hint: look for the word easy!

You can keep mashing away at words like "only" and "hard" and all you're doing is KYOA over and over and over again.

Have an adult read this to you.

The speed and tempo that you have to mash away at buttons in a video game has no correlation with the skill, or lack thereof, to play the song on a guitar. You are playing Simon with Hard rock. Get that through your skull. A color comes up on the screen and you mash the corresponding button. That's Simon you fucking dolt. It just gets harder (like Simon) because of the speed at which the colors come at you. An up tempo song will appear VERY difficult, because of the time it takes to recognize a color and mash that button.

Now, compare that with:
Obviously, he made that comment in light of how hard it must be to play a guitar at that kind of speed and rhythm
Now, since you can't seem to comprehend this notion... It's a two chord song. Two. with some very nice fills and riffs in between.

Don't believe me? Watch this guy play it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS_scRwsEyo

So in closing... Enjoy your video game for what it is... A video game.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Headhunter wrote:If you're going to go to the reading comprehension card over and over...

He might want to use proper grammar when doing so. Reading comprehension is a skill, and qualifying it as a "skill" denotes a lack of writing skill, which generally goes hand-in-hand with reading comprehension.

But...carry on...
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I'm far from being a "gamer" and I buy the new consoles for the sole purpose of playing NCAA Football, but after playing this game for only 10 minutes at a friend's house, I had to pick one up. Silly? Yeah. Dorky? Sure. Fun as hell? You betcha. I was able to justify the expense further with a $50 gift card to Best Buy I received for Christmas.

I'm only up to Medium level, and am struggling with some of the songs. YYZ and the Megadeath song in particular are tough.

We're still cool, right HH?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The current state of my hairline precludes me from trying this game.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I'm far from being a "gamer" and I buy the new consoles for the sole purpose of playing NCAA Football, but after playing this game for only 10 minutes at a friend's house, I had to pick one up. Silly? Yeah. Dorky? Sure. Fun as hell? You betcha. I was able to justify the expense further with a $50 gift card to Best Buy I received for Christmas.

I'm only up to Medium level, and am struggling with some of the songs. YYZ and the Megadeath song in particular are tough.

depends... you gonna get some newfound respect for Vai if they have one of his songs on there?
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

EM FTFY wrote:The current Nation of my hairline precludes me from trying this game.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Headhunter wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I'm far from being a "gamer" and I buy the new consoles for the sole purpose of playing NCAA Football, but after playing this game for only 10 minutes at a friend's house, I had to pick one up. Silly? Yeah. Dorky? Sure. Fun as hell? You betcha. I was able to justify the expense further with a $50 gift card to Best Buy I received for Christmas.

depends... you gonna get some newfound respect for Vai if they have one of his songs on there?
Hey, I've got all kinds of respect for the guy's ability to play a guitar. Still, his style doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Come on, what's not to like?

King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Justa Heel
Justa Cum Gargler

Post by Justa Heel »

Headhunter wrote:I tell you what, if you start dropping threads that say how you have a new found respect for Johan Santana because you can't hit his change up in mlb 2006 you're damn fucking straight I'd make a comment on it.
:lol:
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Headhunter wrote:yeah, if you're in here spouting off about a video game and how that relates to the real world in any way other than entertainment value
Lots of money being spent on developing "sims" or video "games" to learn and train people these days, boss. Uncle Sam usually gets the best first to train their people, then the technology is "cleansed" and able to be put for the masses.

Irrelavent to this thread I know, but might make for an interesting topic to itself.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Fuck this game! I'm stuck on the Wolfmother song on level Hard. I can get up through about 73% of the song, and then it just gets too fucking fast.