Zito to the Giants (HUGE contract)

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

Zito to the Giants (HUGE contract)

Post by Shoalzie »

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... &fext=.jsp

I can't fault Zito for getting his but the Giants went overboard with this one...and that's putting it very lightly. Sure, he's a former Cy Young winner but he's no where near worth $18 million a year. It's just par for the course with this year's free agents...overrated and overpaid. No owner should cry poverty when everyone is dealing out this hefty contracts.

It makes the deal the Tigers signed with Bonderman look even better...4 years, $38 million extension...locked up through 2010. A bargain when you consider what Meche, Padilla and Lilly got on the open market. I'm willing to bet Bondo will win more games than those three guys during the length of their deals and put up just as good of numbers as Zito will in 'Frisco. Bode for Dombrowski and the Tigers...
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

Oswalt at 5 years 72 mil is a friggin' steal after seeing these insane contracts handed out this offseason.

Giants management, meet Ben Dover.

Jeebus.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

bad financial deal for giants, but a solid move to add to rotation

he should do well in NL West. handcuffs team in future, but it shows the home fans that they are trying, weather porrly or not, they are trying to compete.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

The Giants are still the same team as last year. One good pitcher surrounded by 4 average ones and a below average team. RACK Zito for getting the Gnats to pay up though.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

A ton of money for 15 w's.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Good move by the Jays last season locking AJ Burnett up for next to nothing compared to what's being paid out this offseason for the top starting pitching available.

Props to Zito for getting that contract..I'm not so sure he's worth that kind of money. But it sure as hell's better watching a team willing and able to spend that kind of money to get the player(s) they want than being told they can't have him (them) because of a fuck'n idiotic salary cap, like in other sports.

I'm just thankful he signed with a National league team..
Raider Loco
Elwood

Post by Raider Loco »

All they need is another 40 year old outfielder and they will win the West :meds:

Zito better take a fire extinguisher to the mound after he hands it over to that gas can bull pen the Midgets got!

GO DODGERS!
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Post by battery chucka' one »

I'm alright with this. When you subtract Schmidt's salary and take into account that Barry's (hopefully) will be gone (along with that of Benitez) after this year, it makes sense. He's younger than Schmidt and more consistent over the last two years (although the Giants should be ashamed of how they performed for him in the first half of 2006). I'm content with this. I'd much rather have him in the rotation than Hennessey. Zito/Cain/Morris/Lowry/Sanchez sounds pretty good to me. ;)
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

battery chucka' one wrote:I'm alright with this. When you subtract Schmidt's salary and take into account that Barry's (hopefully) will be gone (along with that of Benitez) after this year, it makes sense. He's younger than Schmidt and more consistent over the last two years (although the Giants should be ashamed of how they performed for him in the first half of 2006). I'm content with this. I'd much rather have him in the rotation than Hennessey. Zito/Cain/Morris/Lowry/Sanchez sounds pretty good to me. ;)

Sounds more like another sub 500 season for the Gnats.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
battery chucka' one
Elwood

The Assassin wrote:
battery chucka' one wrote:I'm alright with this. When you subtract Schmidt's salary and take into account that Barry's (hopefully) will be gone (along with that of Benitez) after this year, it makes sense. He's younger than Schmidt and more consistent over the last two years (although the Giants should be ashamed of how they performed for him in the first half of 2006). I'm content with this. I'd much rather have him in the rotation than Hennessey. Zito/Cain/Morris/Lowry/Sanchez sounds pretty good to me. ;)

May Jason Schmidt and Luis Gonzalez revert to their Atlanta and Detroit days, respectively.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

battery chucka' one wrote:
The Assassin wrote:

May Jason Schmidt and Luis Gonzalez revert to their Atlanta and Detroit days, respectively.

Gonzo had a decent year with the Tigers in '98...his only year there...23 HRs, 71 RBI, .267 AVG, .815 OPS, 84 R, 12 SB...career highs at that point in HR and R. I think the Dodgers would take those numbers. I can't believe Randy Smith traded him for freaking Karim Garcia.

If you want him to revert to a bad time...make it the Cubs.
battery chucka' one
Elwood

Shoalzie wrote:
The Assassin wrote:

Gonzo had a decent year with the Tigers in '98...his only year there...23 HRs, 71 RBI, .267 AVG, .815 OPS, 84 R, 12 SB...career highs at that point in HR and R. I think the Dodgers would take those numbers. I can't believe Randy Smith traded him for freaking Karim Garcia.

If you want him to revert to a bad time...make it the Cubs.
What about his first stint as a 'can't miss' prospect with the Astros? *shudder*
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Without the roids, Gonzo sux. He's breaking down too.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Zito to the Giants (HUGE contract)

Post by Dinsdale »

Shoalzie wrote:I'm willing to bet Bondo will win more games than those three guys during the length of their deals
If Bonderman's deal is 4 years, and Zito's 7, are you sure you wanna stick with this?

And while Zito played in a strong pitcher's park, he made many, many trips to Texas, which could screw up Cy Young and Bob Gibson's ERAs.

Now, Zito is going to what may be the most pitcher-friendly division in the bigs. And he won't have the DH to deal with. Assuming he doesn't get lazy after getting paid, and assuming he can shake the Curse of Alyssa Milano, look for Barry to put up some serious numbers in SF. Petcomcitistick, or whatever it's called, doesn't give up many long balls, unless you jerk a laser down the RF line(sup Barroid). And since Zito is a lefty(sin, MA), on paper he shouldn't give up too many of those.

So, now that I've said that, look for Zito to tank bigtime.

But dang, with the contracts being given out to starters, I should be worth at least $150,000 to the Royals....sign me up, baby!
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Dinsdale wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:I'm willing to bet Bondo will win more games than those three guys during the length of their deals
If Bonderman's deal is 4 years, and Zito's 7, are you sure you wanna stick with this?
The three guys I was referring were Meche, Lilly and Padilla...I made a seperate comparison to Zito.
and put up just as good of numbers as Zito will in 'Frisco
In that case, I'd put Bonderman's first four years against Zito's first four years in San Francisco and I think Bonderman will have as many wins, strike out more guys and have a similar ERA. My point of this was to show the value if the deal he just signed compared to some of the bloated contracts that have been dished out on the open market. Granted, Bonderman wasn't available to other teams but for a pitcher at his age and potential...I just really like that contract from a Tigers perspective and considering their past purchases where they had to horribly overpay guys to get them into Detroit. They lock up a guy that is a cornerstone of the team and for a good price.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Dinsdale wrote:assuming he can shake the Curse of Alyssa Milano
Dating that fine creature hasn't worked out for Pavano after he signed his deal with the Yankees...I think you could be onto something if Zito's elbow blows out early in the season or he become's a .500 pitcher with a 5.00+ ERA.

Just because you mentioned her name, we've got to follow the rules...
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

The Assassin wrote:

just admit your team severely overpaid for a guy who will at best get you 15 wins. Speaking of overpaid how many games will Bonds miss this season? I'm guessing 60.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
battery chucka' one
Elwood

The Assassin wrote:
The Assassin wrote:

just admit your team severely overpaid for a guy who will at best get you 15 wins. Speaking of overpaid how many games will Bonds miss this season? I'm guessing 60.
Well, I guess the big question is whether or not Zito is now hitting his prime. If so, then no, they didn't. If not, then yes, they did.

They DID overpay for Bonds. You're supposed to get paid for either actual or potential production. I think both are forever gone from Bonds.

btw, the answer to your question is 54.
Yadda, yadda, yadda.