Favorites vs. dogs

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Favorites vs. dogs

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Obviously, each game is a judgement call, but all things being equal, I prefer to bet on underdogs. The reason being, if it gets into a situation late in the game where the score is close to the spread, you know the losing team/underdog is going to continue to try to keep scoring, whereas the favorite might very well be content to sit on a 10-point lead in a game where they were favored by 11.

Nothing is more frustrating than watching a team that is 1 or 2 points from covering the spread take a knee in FG range.

Do you guys agree? Does anybody prefer to bet favorites? If so, why?
"Keys, woman!"
Eaglebauer
Elwood

Post by Eaglebauer »

Adel prefers favorites because he is a square.

However, if you were forced to pick either all favorites or all underdogs for the rest of your life, you'd likely lose less money picking all underdogs.

John Q. Public prefers betting favorites ("I have the better team!") and linesmakers know this, thus they often skew the line slightly against the favorite.

Underdogs have more value.
Mook
Elwood

Post by Mook »

I like to have 'dogs, obviously there are games with underdogs that are just too easy, like aTm last week. However, you have to cap the games yourself and go with games where you think you have an edge. I probably end up betting more dogs than favorites, but not by a significant margin. Last week I had four dogs and four faves. I won 4, lost 3 and pushed 1.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Eaglebauer wrote:Adel prefers favorites because he is a square.

However, if you were forced to pick either all favorites or all underdogs for the rest of your life, you'd likely lose less money picking all underdogs.

John Q. Public prefers betting favorites ("I have the better team!") and linesmakers know this, thus they often skew the line slightly against the favorite.

still want my action?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Adelpiero wrote:still want my action?
Uhhhhh....awkward.
Eaglebauer
Elwood

Post by Eaglebauer »

Adelpiero wrote:
Eaglebauer wrote:Adel prefers favorites because he is a square.

still want my action?
Sure.