JAAAAAAAAY DEEEEEEEEEEE

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

al?
Elwood

JAAAAAAAAY DEEEEEEEEEEE

Post by al? »

Whut up, brah?!?!

You and I both know, the Stanley Cup is a very hard trophy to win.........second maybe to the Super Bowl.

You and I also both know that the Flames have had their best look at it. Nevermind the Wings.....the Stars, Ducks, and Predators are all better, more complete teams.

What I want to know is.....how long until the bandwagon is empty, husbands are bringing wives to read in the stands again, and car flags are being given away at garage sales?

Thoughts?!?!
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

You're wrong about the Stars....at least until Turco serves up more than a nice, hot cup of JACK SQUAT in the playoffs. And it's way to early to tell with the Preds. But the Ducks are for real.
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

the cup is the hardest trophy to win in sports, hands down. but the buffalo bills may disagree.
JD
Elwood

Re: JAAAAAAAAY DEEEEEEEEEEE

Post by JD »

al? wrote:What I want to know is.....how long until the bandwagon is empty, husbands are bringing wives to read in the stands again, and car flags are being given away at garage sales?
I'll go out on a limb and predict that will never be the case... the Flames have a new generation of fans coming of age right now. People similar to myself who grew up idolizing those 80's players and watching the lovable losers turn into winners in '04. People who are starting to make a lot of money and able to put it towards things like season tickets. The mid-nineties team that began to suck towards the end of the millennium didn't have that luxury, as most of the season ticket-holders from the 80's were ex-Leaf and ex-Hab fans who switched when Calgary got a team. Just a little discussion on demographics....

As for the Flames blowing their best chance, I won't disagree... hard to get any closer than a Khabibulin toe from the Stanley Cup. In this day, even the very best teams rarely get multiple cracks at the Cup. Look at the Avs... loaded from day 1, yet only 2 Cups to speak of. That's a team whose best chance is most certainly past.

However, I believe this is the most talented edition of the Flames since 1989. They've got it all, roster-wise. A Vezina-calibre goalie, a strong, deep defense, and a capable forward crew with a couple of real gamebreakers. They've got leadership in guys like Iginla, Yelle, and Amonte, and they've got young guys with something to prove in Kobasew and Lombardi. Sure, everyone says they can't score, but so far this year, they're in the middle of the pack offensively. Combine that with another top 3 defensive year, and they should do alright in the regular season.

The key is how they put it together in the playoffs. I think they've got as good a chance as anyone. But when you look at it, 15 playoff-bound teams don't win the Cup. And in my opinion, any team that makes the playoffs is a good one. 15 good teams will fail to make it.

So while it pissed me off short-term that Sean freakin O'Donnell scored an OT goal in Game 4, or that Huselius hit the crossbar in Game 6 or that the entire team was missing in Game 7, last year was a pretty decent year, and it is something they'll learn from. But they were still one of 15 pretty good teams that didn't win the Cup.

As for the other good teams in the West, having good teams in other cities doesn't stop another team from having success. Fuck, is anyone actually going to say the Oilers were the best team to make the playoffs in the West last year? Gawd no.. but they became the best team. That's what it's all about: playing well when it matters.

Nashville, Dallas, Anaheim, and even Minnesota, can rack up as many wins as they want for now.. we'll see who's got something left for April and May.

Hmmm... that turned into something of an essay!!

BTW, nice showing last Friday. :lol:
Still a FlameFan
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

al? wrote:What I want to know is.....how long until the bandwagon is empty, husbands are bringing wives to read in the stands again, and car flags are being given away at garage sales?
1 hr 29 minutes
Last edited by Joey Moss on Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
GET-ZKY!!!!
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

JD wrote:
BTW, nice showing last Friday. :lol:
No it wasn't.

sin,

MA
Expert NHL Analyst

P.S.....Christ those pics are huge, T!
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

I write that essay and that's the only response I get? Damn, cold, P.

And, yeah, Tim? You need to learn to adjust the size of your pictures. Your avatar and pic in this thread are borderline gen(ious)ius, but they're just too big to appreciate.

BTW, nice work putting out the Flames tonight. Finally know what it means to be outgoaltended by the Oilers. It's been awhile.
Still a FlameFan
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

JD wrote:I write that essay and that's the only response I get? Damn, cold, P.

And, yeah, Tim? You need to learn to adjust the size of your pictures. Your avatar and pic in this thread are borderline gen(ious)ius, but they're just too big to appreciate.

BTW, nice work putting out the Flames tonight. Finally know what it means to be outgoaltended by the Oilers. It's been awhile.
Really? I know that the EOFD was large, but I just didn't care. Is the avatar big too? Damn-it.

Horrible win tonight. Roli was awesome. Even the one goal that got buy him wasn't at all his fault. The rest of the team was useless from the second period on. Playfair made some adjustments in the 1st intermission and Edmonton couldn't get their head around it.

T

PS- I will buy anyone a beer or two at the next Calgary or Edmonton troll-stop (if they ever happen again), if they can find me a pic of Joey Moss at Gretzky's retirement ceremony in Edmonton. I want the picture where he presents Gretz with the 99 banner upside down.... Classic!
GET-ZKY!!!!
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

JD wrote:I write that essay and that's the only response I get? Damn, cold, P.
I never asked for your life story.......just the over/under on the bandwagon emptying (btw, it's 5 yrs.....2011, book it).

Flames are a one man show, nothings changed. How that makes them as good a team as a 90's version with several bonafide hall of famers is beyond me, to each his own I suppose.

And speaking of the playoffs (and I know its early), it took a 6 game win-streak and ridiculous play by your one man band just to creep back to the edge of the bubble.

[ozzie]pshhhht..........please[/ozzie]

In other news the Red Wings are still awesome, but thats a little redundant.

Till next time y'all.

i kid, J........maybe
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

al? wrote: In other news the Red Wings are still awesome, but thats a little redundant.
Yes, their 1 pt road trip through Alberta pretty much proves their awesomeness.
GET-ZKY!!!!
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

:lol:

Check the standings much?

.......and resize those damn pics, you're ruining my thread.
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

al? wrote:Check the standings much?
Second in the Central Divison... Now I see their awesomeness.

:lol:

Is my Avatar out of wack size wise?
GET-ZKY!!!!
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

Joey Moss wrote: Is my Avatar out of wack size wise?
Not cool to even SAY the phrase "out of wack" when speaking of anything Joey Moss related.

Enjoy hell tard hater.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Joey Moss wrote:Second in the Central Divison... Now I see their awesomeness.
Well points-wise, they're no Oilers....or Flames for that matter. Ya got me there.

In other news, I'm very disappointed you would refer to young Joseph as 'out of wack'. Joey is a symbol of the things that are good and pure in professional sports. That you would use that huge picture as a means to make fun.......tsk.

I thought you were better than that.
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

I thought you were better than that.
You thought the guy with the Retard as a user-name was btter than that? C'mon, I work in the oil patch, I'm evil...
GET-ZKY!!!!
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Screw_Michigan wrote:the cup is the hardest trophy to win in sports, hands down. but the buffalo bills may disagree.
Any trophy is hard to win if you're not good enough.

I would rank an Olympic Gold medal, the World Cup and a true unified boxing title ahead of the Lombardi Trophy or Stanley Cup in terms of rarity.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Hey, none of us are qualified to even discuss the most difficult trophy to win (I assume). Unless you've actually done it, you have no idea of the sacrifices an athlete has to make to win.

Hardest to win doesn't necessarily mean rarest. It means the trophy that takes the most sacrificing, ballsy, grind-it-out efforts to win. Lots of championships qualify, but the Cup is clearly of a different ilk when you see how beat down and utterly spent all the players look when they're parading that thing around the ice.
Still a FlameFan
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

JD wrote: Hardest to win doesn't necessarily mean rarest. It means the trophy that takes the most sacrificing, ballsy, grind-it-out efforts to win. Lots of championships qualify, but the Cup is clearly of a different ilk when you see how beat down and utterly spent all the players look when they're parading that thing around the ice.
agreed.....I mean, have you seen Rod Brind'amour's face?

wouldnt even get second prize in the monopoly beauty contest