Not to go FTDC on you guys but...

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Not to go FTDC on you guys but...

Post by indyfrisco »

Went to Hardees this morning for breakfast. They had this sandwich called the Frisco Breakfast Sandwich.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c22FK.html

I was like, OK, I gotta have something they named after me. It is a ham egg and cheese on a grilled sourdough bun. Right up my alley.

Anyway, I get to work and open my bag and inside it is a fucking ham, egg and cheese on a whitebread texas toast sandwich. Holy fucking hell I was pissed. Is SAnFran known for their sourdough bread or something? Maybe they really fucking did name this after me since it was on "Texas" toast.

I have half a mind to go shoot up the place. Maybe I'll just go knock the last tooth out of the bitch who sold me this POS's face.

I'm pissed today.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Funny part is, is there isn't a Hardee's within 1500 miles of San Fran, so I guess the SFers can't call bullshit.

I belive Hardee's is an east-of-the-Rockies thing. But make no mistake, the Left Coast has plenty of horrid burger chains without them.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:Funny part is, is there isn't a Hardee's within 1500 miles of San Fran, so I guess the SFers can't call bullshit.

I belive Hardee's is an east-of-the-Rockies thing. But make no mistake, the Left Coast has plenty of horrid burger chains without them.
Hardee's is the same as Carls Junior on the west coast, with a slightly different menu.

Sort of like the Best Foods / Hellman's mayo thing.

Don't axe me why.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Yeah, what's with that?

We have Rally's but in some places the same thing is called Checkers.

Also, I think there is Bob Evans and something else that is the same with a different name.

Imagine it being called McDonalds east of the Mississippi and In N Out west of the miss...oh, never mind...already is.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Hardees was a "regional" chain in the East, as Carl's used to be in the west.

In 1997 (I think) CK Enterprises (or something like that), the parent company of Carl's (started in the 40s or 50s in SoCal by Carl Karcher) bought the entire Hardees chain. They've been getting more and more like Carl's ever since. I think they have some common menu items, some with different names though, and the same yellow star logo.

McDonald's and In n Out have almost nothing in common (sacrilege, mofo).
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mikey wrote:McDonald's and In n Out have almost nothing in common (sacrilege, mofo).
Got me a McBigOne. ;)

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

I thought Carl Jr was just the son of the founder or some shit? Someone told me that years ago and I have always doubted the verocity of the statement but was never important enough to me to challenge it or explore it.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I knew Hardee's was related to one of our garbage chains Out West.

I very rarely eat fast food, but someone brought me some pastrami burger from Carl's recently, and I was pleasantly suprised.

Since as a general rule, I rank Carl's Jr right up there with MickeyD's and Burger King for quality of food. Taco Bell(I'll starve first) is the only chain that ranks lower than those crap-slingers.

I'll spend the extra dollar and 15 minutes on a burger at a tavern, rather than eat the corporate death burgers. But I know all along the West Coast, and I'm sure elsewhere, the beaners will cook you up a burrito to order, and charge even less than a McDeath's burger. I'll put my health in Jose's able hands...

Damn, I should just make myself a lunch every day.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Much as I hate to say it, Carl's burgers are probably at the top of the fast food heap.

With the exception, of course, of In N Out, which is in a category of its own.

But like Dins says, a deece $2.00 roach coach carne asada burrito will win out every time. Just don't demand to know exactly what went into it.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Carls had this $6 chili burger that was pretty damn good. The Pastrami burger is surprisingly good. I went to Hardees on the East Coast and it was similar but the menu was a little bit different. I understand that Carl's grandson lives in Palm Springs as a buddy told me he met him one day. The guy gave my buddy of freebie coupons and said the grandson was pretty cool.

In~n~Out Burger is the best thing (outside of SoCal's Tommy's) as their ingredients are fresh and high quality. All of those buns are baked fresh every day. They also slice their potatoes right then and there with a hand-pulled slicing device throughout the day. Plus eating at In~n~Out will be about twice less the price you'll pay at Carl's Jr.

However, there are so many good roach coaches out there along with privately-owned food joints that kick all of the above's asses. That's the way it is everywhere. I laughed at the New Jersey folk's assertion that Chevy's restaurants has good Mexican food when I was back there.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:Much as I hate to say it, Carl's burgers are probably at the top of the fast food heap.
Really? I put them near the bottom. Then again, I have equal disdain for all corporate death burgers.

Niggapleez.

Good, but not quite Burgerville. Besides, In N Out doesn't have Walla Walla Onion Rings seasonally, with the Rogue River Bleu Cheese dip. Therefore, In N Out will NEVER hang with Burgerville.

[/quote]
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Atomic Punk wrote:However, there are so many good roach coaches out there along with privately-owned food joints that kick all of the above's asses. That's the way it is everywhere. I laughed at the New Jersey folk's assertion that Chevy's restaurants has good Mexican food when I was back there.

What's odd, is I don't see nearly the Mexi-botulism-rolls when I cross the river into Washington. Here in the civilized parts of Oregon, there's literally something on every corner. And I don't think we need to insult anyone's intelligence by even discussing the immigrant dining establishments in california. The desert southwest...same dealio, I'm sure.

Apparently, New Jersians don't know the pleasures of having desperate mexicans slinging fatty burritos for $3.50...and of this, I am truly jealous.

I WISH I though Chevy's was "authentic mexican/Tex-mex."

Although, as far as corporate dork-chains go, Chevy's ain't bad. I probably wouldn't care, but there's one close, that it seems like I'm forever meeting people at.

Where I live, I can probably walk to over a dozen hole-in-the-wall burrito joints in 5 minutes or less. Some much better than others. I prefer the ones where you can actually see the food being prepared.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Coming from a Hispanic dominated small town nearby, I know the places in the area that are the best. A Latina with nice big implanted D-cups is from a family that runs a nice restaurant. So we pretty much know the same places around the area and what is better than the others.

The roach coach-type "death-on-wheels" hire your average across the border women that know how to cook. I know people like carne asada, but "el pastor" is simply the best tasting version of meat there is. I'm not really sure what "el pastor" comes from, but I'm sure it's a common farm animal. I heard it was lamb but who knows? And who cares? It is that good.

If a Mexican dive is actually located in a booth or a regular building, then you know it's good when the prices are very cheap or they don't have the business savvy to charge taxes.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Another good indication is "cash only".
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
Mikey wrote:Much as I hate to say it, Carl's burgers are probably at the top of the fast food heap.
Really? I put them near the bottom. Then again, I have equal disdain for all corporate death burgers.

Niggapleez.

Good, but not quite Burgerville. Besides, In N Out doesn't have Walla Walla Onion Rings seasonally, with the Rogue River Bleu Cheese dip. Therefore, In N Out will NEVER hang with Burgerville.
WTF do ONION RINGS have to do with BURGERS?

Are we talking BURGERS here or fucking ONION RINGS?

And don't give me this Burgerville shit. It maybe on the top of your list, but any joint that can't be found outside a 20 mile radius, and has stuff like gardenburgers, yogurt smoothies, nine-grain turkey club sammiches, sweetpotato fries, and Northwest Huckleberry Milkshakes on its menu fer christ sake does not belong in this discussion. Period.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Burgerville is better than In N Out.

Period.

Since a burger is dependent on how fresh and good the bun is, and how good the beef is, with the freshness of condiments/toppings factoring in(not sure how they could even fuck this up, really). And a Tillamook Bacon Cheeseburger with Rogue River (smoked)Bleu Cheese Sauce...forgetaboutit. Game over. You lose, buddy.

And their side items...well, no comparison there, either.

Any fast-food(yeah, sure it takes like 15-20 minutes to get your food...not exactly fast) joint that offers fish sammiches as an alternative item...in either halibut or salmon...get the fuck out of here with your In N Out. Seriously.

Oh, and I could be mistaken, but I believe Burgerville was the first place to serve Gardenburgers....because naturally, we invented that, too. Not sure, but I think Wholesome and Hearty sold out since then(wish I had more money at the time, since getting inside info on some major contracts provided a tidy little profit from H&H stocks for some people I know).
any joint that can't be found outside a 20 mile radius

Like we'd ahre something that good with you people. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Burgerville Sweet Potato Fries are FAN FREAKING TASTIC.

Sorry, Mikey!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

No doubt.
It's just that I can't get 'em here, so they don't count.

:wink:
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

with the freshness of condiments/toppings factoring in(not sure how they could even fuck this up, really).
I used to like rallyburgers because of the fresh toppings. Sometimes the freshness of the lettuce and tomato can really bring up the overall sandwich quality.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:Burgerville is better than In N Out.

Period.

Since a burger is dependent on how fresh and good the bun is, and how good the beef is, with the freshness of condiments/toppings factoring in(not sure how they could even fuck this up, really)... Game over. You lose, buddy.

Not really too sure about that, actually...
At In-N-Out Burger, freshness is everything. That’s why in a world where food is often chemically processed, prepackaged and frozen, In-N-Out makes everything the old fashioned way.

Our hamburgers are made from fresh, 100% pure beef. They are free of additives, fillers and preservatives of any kind, and we buy only chucks, the front ribs and shoulder. No other parts are ever used. Our butchers carefully hand-cut and grind the beef in our own facility at which point the patties are shipped directly to our stores in refrigerated trucks by our own drivers. This way we have total control over the production of every burger.

Our commitment to freshness doesn’t stop there. Our lettuce is hand-leafed. Our American cheese is the real thing. And we use the plumpest, juiciest tomatoes we can find. All of our ingredients are delivered fresh to our stores. In fact, we don’t even own a microwave, heat lamp, or freezer. We even bake our buns using old-fashioned, slow-rising sponge dough. And we make every burger one at a time, cooked fresh to order.

Of course, what's a great burger without great fries? At In-N-Out, we know a french fry is only as good as the potato it comes from. That’s why we use the highest grade potatoes and ship them fresh from the farm. Then we cut them right in the store, one potato at a time. And cook them in 100% pure, cholesterol-free vegetable oil. To top it all off, we also make our delicious shakes from real ice cream – just like we used to make at the first In-N-Out back in 1948. We wouldn’t do it any other way. Because when it comes to burgers, fries and shakes, getting fresh is a good thing.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

In~n~Out has this first come first serve deal. There could be no customers inside at the counter and all of those in drive thru that have ordered will get their food before you.

They also pay their workers damn good money for being a fast food worker. In this area the starting wage is $11/hr. I know a shift manager at Carl's Jr. that makes only $7.75/hr. It's amazing with I/O as the burger prices are amazingly inexpensive. High volumes of a great product must allow them to do this.

They don't open up until 10:30 AM which gives them time to do the receiving of ingredients from the trucks.

What was ppanther doing up in Portland or wherever those Burgerville restaurants are?

Ruff
Elwood

Post by Ruff »

Atomic Punk wrote: I know a shift manager at Carl's Jr. that makes only $7.75/hr.
Another job change? Congratulations, you're moving up in the world.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yeah, yeah.

PP knows what's up.

Burgerville has the same "made fresh daily from local shit, never frozen" dealio.

And as far as In N Out....American cheese?

Are you kidding?

Get the fuck outta here with that shit.

Tllamook cheddar, bitches. Don't even try and argue the BODE there, you'll only look silly.

Although I don't do the sweet potato fries. The Walla Walla Sweets onion rings with the smoked bleu cheese sauce...insane. It's a seasonal thing, though. Early summer, pretty much.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Talk about a total hijackng of a thread...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dude...we're debating the subtle nuances of fast food burgers.

If ever a thread needed hijacking, this was the one.

How's the weather/what's for lunch?

Been swinging the sticks on the links?
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

Atomic Punk wrote:What was ppanther doing up in Portland or wherever those Burgerville restaurants are?
Scoring meth.

I tend to avoid fast food when traveling, but I may have to try this Burgerville place the next time I'm in the U&L. I wonder if their sweet potato fries are as good as the ones I get at a local hotdog place. Do they serve them with chile sauce to dip them in? That's the awesome right there.
DamnTheCowboys
Human Garbage Disposal

Post by DamnTheCowboys »

IndyFrisco wrote:
Mikey wrote:McDonald's and In n Out have almost nothing in common (sacrilege, mofo).
Got me a McBigOne. ;)

Nice comeback after a lackluster experience at Lardees. Their Frisco burger ten years ago was a staple of mine...swiss, tomato, mayo and a burger on a delicious buttered and toasted sourdough bread. Those were the glory days of hardees. Even their fries were good.

WAR dunking the Frisco burger in mustard.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mikey,

Hate to say it, but I went to an In-N-Out in San Francisco a couple weeks ago. I ordered a cheeseburger and fries. I wasn't starving so the wife ate the fries...take that back, she ate A fry. That's 1 of the 5 foods she will eat and refused to eat another. I tried A fry. Tasted like cardboard. Fucking awful.

Ok, on to the burger. I took A bite and spit it out. Fucking nasty. What is that? Thousand Island dressing?

I have to say, I was excited going in and was even planning on getting my kid a t-shirt. After eating that, or attempting to, no way was I wasting another dime there. Maybe you guys all think it is the ultimate burger joint because it was started there, but that food is not edible.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

To each his own, I guess.

If you're used to eating crap then you may not appreciate quality when you encounter it.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

By no means was I saying McDonald's is better than I-N-O. I took my son to McD's this weekend for lunch. It was the first time I've eaten there in probably 5 years sans breakfast. It tasted like garbage. Hardees (or Carls Jr in other parts) is about as good a fast food burger there is. It is a notch ahead of Whataburger in my book and I loves me some Whataburger.

Persoanlly, I prefer to make my own. Here is my recipe:

Makes 4 to 5 burgers depending on how big you make the patties. I make 4 out of this:

1 lb. ground venison (for those of you outside deer country, use sirloin)
1 lb. ground pork
1 T. Tony's Cajun Creole Seasoning
4 T. Worcestershire (L&P)
1 fresh jalapeno, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
S&P to taste
1/2 cup crumbled bleu cheese

Mix all ingredients except bleu cheese together in bowl with hands until well mixed. Mix in bleu cheese last gently. Pat into ~1/2 lb. patties.

Grill burgers on grill of choice. I like to use charcoal with a small chunk of mesquite thrown into the coals. Be sure to let the burger cook for awhile before flipping as venison likes to fall apart. A good 5 minutes on the first side will be all you need for easy flipping. Cook to your liking and serve on flame kissed wheat bun with condiments of your choice. I prefer lettuce, tomato, pepper jack cheese, mustard and pickles.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Agreed Carls Jr (around here) is some good tasting grease. Definitely several levels above the McD's and BK's of this world.

Your burger recipe sounds pretty good. Imma have to try it this weekend maybe. Too bad there's no deer to be had in my neighborhood - I'll have to get some lean gr beef at Costco.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Actually, I have started taking the bleu cheese and putting it in the middle of a big patty and rolling it up and then patting it down. Kind of a "stuffed" burger.

In any case, good eats that is. My dad likes my burgers but he calls them "meatloaf on a bun". He's a little competitive with me in the cooking department so that was his jab. I told him, "Yeah, it doesn't compare to your 3/4 pound ground chuck soaked in worcestershire and sprinkled with Walmart Hamburger Seasoning." :meds:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:Hardees (or Carls Jr in other parts) is about as good a fast food burger there is.

Please tell me I didn't just read that?

Please?

Unbeebable.

Mentioning Carl's in the same breath as Burgerville should be a crime.

Wayyy back when, me and a bud were about some poverty-stricken teens(like the rest of you, most likely). But, we had access to a big freezer full of ground venison. Needless to say, the deerburgers flowed like wine...or cheap beer, in that era. Good for burgers, but needs something a little fattier mixed in to keep the patties from crumbling. When the deer finally started running out, we were restocked with bear...that's some manly-tasting meat, right there.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

CHAIN -- Burgerville
Owner -- The Holland, Inc
Primary Operating Region -- Portland, OR and surrounding area
Number of Locations -- 39 (2006)
We do not have a Burgerville. Mentioning a chain in your region only don't count. There's plenty of joints around here that can spit out a burger good and fast that is better than Hardees.

In any case, after hearing all the praise for In-N-Out and then actually tasting it, I have come to the conclusion you cannot judge anything based upon someone else's opinion. Burgerville is Shitsville as far as I'm concerned until I try it for meself.

Seriously, talk about your generic looking burger...oh, but it's the BEST because it is in the Portland area only...:meds:

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Oh, and I will give In-N-Out props on one thing...they actually put a good toasting on their buns. If not for the thousand island dressing on the burger, I probably would have given that burger a B+. With those fries, they will never get above B+ from me.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

That's what happens when you slice your fries fresh, dunk them immediately into hot vegetable oil and refrain from dumping 23 lb of salt on each load, instead of squeezing some potato batter out of a bag or dumping them in pre-sliced, frozen and oversalted. It's what real fries taste like. Unfortunately 99.9% of the US population has never tasted the real thing.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:but it's the BEST because it is in the Portland area only
No, it's the best because they use the freshest local ingredients, and the beef is never frozen, and all that jazz.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Dinsdale wrote:
IndyFrisco wrote:but it's the BEST because it is in the Portland area only
No, it's the best because they use the freshest local ingredients, and the beef is never frozen, and all that jazz.
I didn't know Portland was such an agricultural hot spot. "Fresh" beef was mooing 1 hour before you eat it, don't ya know?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote: I didn't know Portland was such an agricultural hot spot.
I'll help you out...

Wiki wrote:The Willamette Valley is the region in northwest Oregon in the United States that surrounds the Willamette River as it proceeds northward from its emergence from mountains near Eugene to its confluence with the Columbia River at Portland. One of the most productive agricultural areas of the world, the valley was the destination of choice for the emigrants on the Oregon Trail in the 1840s. It has formed the cultural and political heart of Oregon since the days of the Oregon Territory, and is home to 70% of Oregon's population...

...The agricultural richness of the valley is in part a result of the Missoula Floods, which inundated the valley approximately forty times between 15,000 and 13,000 years ago at the end of the last ice age. The floods were caused by the periodic rupturing of the ice dam of Glacial Lake Missoula, the waters of which swept down the Columbia River and flooded the Willamette Valley as far south as Eugene. The floodwaters carried rich volcanic and glacial soil from Eastern Washington, which was deposited across the valley floor when the waters subsided. The soil in the Willamette Valley is half a mile deep in some areas

Uhm...it's fucking famous for it, bro. Unique climate, topography, and soils make it the garden spot of the universe for growing temperate shit...I'd say "tell me you knew," but I guess you didn't...

Dumbass.

"Fresh" beef was mooing 1 hour before you eat it, don't ya know?

Obviously not.

But "fresh beef" doesn't come out of a reefer trailer, either(sup almost every fast food chain on the planet).

Oh...and the entire eastern half of the state is pretty much one big cattle ranch...they still rustle cattle and shit out there in Noncivilization.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Hardee’s burgers are absolute shit. Culver’s is a Midwest-based chain that has spread as far as Texas that also features fresh never frozen beef. Outstanding fast food burgers that are not cooked until you order them.

My favorite neighborhood tavern also features never been frozen ground chuck from the local meat market two blocks away. Can’t remember the last time I ate a McDonald’s burger.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim