Eternal Scobode

Buck O'Neil...DEAD!

Post by Rich Fader »

94 years young.

R.I.P., big man. You deserve it.

:(

Nice going, Cooperstown. You suck.

:evil:
Jihad is hump of Islam...and Islam wants to hump us very much.
Ang
Jumpin' Little Juke Joint Gal

Post by Ang »

Rich.

You already know who Buck Neal was...but many of us don't, or didn't until you posted about his death. There are a hell of a lot of things to keep up with in this world, so I salute you for letting the shallow baseball fans like me know (I mean the shallow thing sincerely, cause I only follow my kids team and the MLB playoffs each year) about his death.

A link that provides a short synopsis of his life is here, for those of us who didn't know about him until your post. Classic example of how "America's game" left a whole shitload of great players behind in the cultural setting at the time.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

All charm, no numbers. No Hall.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

LTS TRN 2 wrote:All charm, no numbers. No Hall.
Do you know what the Negro Leagues were?

One more thing...
Reggie Jackson wrote:"What a fabulous human being," Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson said Friday night. "He was a blessing for all of us. I believe that people like Buck and Rachel Robinson and Martin Luther King and Mother Teresa are angels that walk on earth to give us all a greater understanding of what it means to be human. I'm not sad for him. He had a long, full life and I hope I'm as lucky, but I'm sad for us."
#44 just said it all.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

Mother Theresa doesn't get in either.
James Dean Bradfield
Elwood

Post by James Dean Bradfield »

put him in the negro league hall of fame then ...

No numbers , no hall .......
Tinker to Evers to Chance
Crack Whore

Post by Tinker to Evers to Chance »

James Dean Bradfield wrote:put him in the negro league hall of fame then ...

No numbers , no hall .......
I guess you'd kick Satchel Page out, then?

His MLB numbers certainly aren't worthy of getting in the Hall. He didn't even pitch for 10 seasons.

Oh, and I guess we should toss Josh Gibson out too, while we're at it, because he never played outside of the Negro Leagues.

It's pretty assinine to exclude people from the Hall who didn't have the chance to prove themselves against the white ballplayers.
Bizzarofelice wrote:
Goddamned Cubsfan.
Rich Fader
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rich Fader »

Well, excuuuuuuuse me. They didn't have "the cream" and "the clear" back when ole Buck was playing. Maybe if they had, he'd have "the numbers" and he'd "deserve" to be in the Hall.
Jihad is hump of Islam...and Islam wants to hump us very much.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

LTS TRN 2 wrote:Mother Theresa doesn't get in either.
If she did for baseball what Buck O'Niel did, she'd deserve it too.

Baseball may be the most statisticly driven game around, but it's not ALL about the numbers. The HoF recognizes contributions to the game both on and off the field.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

He should've gotten in because he's an ambassador of the game and a bridge between the dark days (bad pun) of segregation in baseball to today's game where players from all over the globe are playing together. It's a shame he won't be able to witness his eventual enshrinement into the Hall...the stupid voters are going to let him in now out of pity. That's not what he deserved...much respect for Buck and those other great men from the Negro League.
DamnTheCowboys
Human Garbage Disposal

Post by DamnTheCowboys »

RACK ME!!!

That's TWO of Five I've gotten in the Death Pool this year! FIrst Lillian Asplund, Titanic survivor, now Buck!
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

DamnTheCowboys wrote:RACK ME!!!

That's TWO of Five I've gotten in the Death Pool this year! FIrst Lillian Asplund, Titanic survivor, now Buck!
Too bad you got a net 7 points out of those two.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

yeah, no shit. you got anybody under 90, ftdc?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I was out of town yesterday and just got back this afternoon. I hadn't heard any news of this, and only found out after opening todays KC Star and saw this news plastered all over the front page. Even though everyone kind of expected this to happen sooner rather than later, it's still extremely sad and disappointing news.

Buck was a truly beloved figure here, and will be greatly missed. He gave and gave, and then gave some more of himself to enrich the lives of all those around him. He was a joyful person who lived a fulfilling life.

Even though he got hosed by the MLB HOF, he was in life's and now is in God's Hall of Fame.

RIP, Buck
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

BSmack wrote:

How many points you got?

Feel free to shut the fuck up the next opportunity you get to do so
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Nishlord
Eternal Scobode

Post by Nishlord »

James Dean Bradfield wrote:No numbers , no hall .......
How's Mark McGwire's bust coming along, then?
“Culture. Sophistication. Genius. A little bit more than a hot dog, know what I mean?”
JCT
Merciless, suave and collected

Post by JCT »

Nishlord wrote:
James Dean Bradfield wrote:No numbers , no hall .......
How's Mark McGwire's bust coming along, then?

Pretty good, I hear that the needle marks will look sweet.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Cuda wrote:
BSmack wrote:

How many points you got?
Jackoffs posting about death pool points?

You both need to stfu and not sully this thread with that type of banter.

Show some respect.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

And one more damn thing.

If you engage in death pool threads, you are a straight up fucking moron who can go fuck yourself.
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

War Wagon wrote:And one more damn thing.

If you engage in death pool threads, you are a straight up fucking moron who can go fuck yourself.
We also have a pool about the number of chicks your daughter munches in her dorm room.. You want in?
Yeah fuckers.... I'm back
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Shit - was there a pool for how many posts whitey would make before the pile on began, or did everyone just pick one?
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Cuda wrote:
BSmack wrote:

How many points you got?
I got María Capovilla beyotch.

8)

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
bray2
Elwood

Post by bray2 »

BBMarley wrote:

We also have a pool about the number of chicks your daughter munches in her dorm room.. You want in?
My nipples are hard.
You know I know, and I know you know that I know.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

bray2 wrote:
BBMarley wrote:

My nipples are hard.
From fantasizing about "Girls Softball Catcher" getting her box mowed? Your nipples have low standards.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

RIP

MLB fucked up big time not including him in this past year's inductees.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

First, what exactly does an "ambassador to the game" mean? Sure, he was a charming fellow, but regardless of what league he played in--or wasn't allowed to play in--his numbers simply don't add up to Hall Of Fame credentials. Not even close.

Mark Maguire has 580+ bombs, that's it. Forget the 'roids--after all, they weren't illegal when he (obviously) appeared to have taken them (and rejuvenated a properly clanking and sputtering farm-boy power career). Palmeiro is a much tougher decision.

Mother Theresa?...Are you kidding? Please, ANYONE, name one thing she ever did that was in any way productive or helpful to the world--the TEAM (of which you're a member). An ignorant Italian woman, her simple fanatical obeisance to the Church was utterly repugnant. As for the terminally starving Indians she rounded up for her hospices, they had the unexpected experience of what the Church doctrine deems "the beatitude of suffering," wherein any anodines or relief from pain are expressly forbidden, so the penitant victim can so utterly receive the full blessing of a painful death. Conceived in the Dark Ages, this insane paradigm lives on ONLY in the Church's outreach third-world stench-trenches like New Delhi. She had a knack for fundraising, and the Church really appreciated that--even going so far as declaring her a "saint"--complete with a verified Miracle. I'm sure the ex-Nazi "Rotweillor of the Vatican" Pope thinks she was just swell.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

LTS TRN 2 wrote:First, what exactly does an "ambassador to the game" mean?
It means he's done a lot for the game. If it has to be explained to you, then you're not smart enough to be debating this subject to begin with. Learn something and get back to us.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown