Offseason 2006

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

In this day and age I am surpirsed that people get jerseys with the players' name on the back. There are very few examples of a player staying with 1 teams for his entire career.

The only player I would put on the back of my Rangers' jerseys would be Ron Greschner.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Three-way trade...Havlat to Chicago, Bell to San Jose

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170991&hubname=nhl
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Shoalzie wrote:Three-way trade...Havlat to Chicago, Bell to San Jose

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170991&hubname=nhl
Havalat 3 years 18 million = 6 mil/year!!!!

WHAT!? Did someone mis-hear something. I figure that 6 years at $3 million/year sound more reasonable.
GET-ZKY!!!!
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Here's the current list of NHL players forwards making more than 6 mil/year:

Fedorov
Iginla
Gaborik
Naslund
Thornton
Elias
Yashin
Jagr
Sundin
Hossa
Richards
Lecavalier
St. Louis
Havlat
GET-ZKY!!!!
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Enjoy hell Smokes....wouldn't wish the Hawks on my worst enemy.
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Cross Traffic wrote:Enjoy hell Smokes....wouldn't wish the Hawks on my worst enemy.

Whoa! :shock:

I was thinking the exact same thing.
Defense wins championships.
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

Horcoff an Oiler for 3 more years.

http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/07/277400.html

Now just lock up Stoll and Hemsky.
The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

Caps sign Brashear :meds:

I'm not thrilled with that...but I guess they needed some bodyguard action after Bryan McGrabe & Tie Domi tried their best to put ATG in the hospital.

We got Zednik back... Very happy about that
Pierre McGuire: "The Washington Capitals are the sleeping giants of the East. Exciting times in Washington are coming."
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Cicatrix wrote:Horcoff an Oiler for 3 more years.

http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/07/277400.html
$3.6 for three years is a bit much, but I'm ok with it..

Now just lock up Stoll and Hemsky.
Don't forget Lupul.
GET-ZKY!!!!
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

The Rat Pack wrote:Caps sign Brashear :meds:
Crushers that think they're rushers soon become ushers. I can't believe Georges got signed by Pheonix for $1.2. I'm waiting to puke when I see what Brashear makes.
GET-ZKY!!!!
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

Joey Moss wrote:Crushers that think they're rushers soon become ushers.
Werd my brutha from a anutha mutha.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

washington has to find some salary dumps, they are under the cap blanket. so i could see them taking on mogilnys contract to get at the cap bottom. washington as with a couple others, blues included are looking good for the 2007-08 ufa season.

i guess my weight jersey will be worn for another few years. of course my oshie(blues and north dakota jerseys) and johnson(bday present in oct) will be sweet.
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Adelpiero wrote:washington has to find some salary dumps, they are under the cap blanket. so i could see them taking on mogilnys contract to get at the cap bottom.
Lou's in a hell of a mess in NJ and he still has to sign Gomez and Gionta. I wonder if he'd be willing to trade someone with Mogilny just to free up the $3.5 million that he will make in the AHL.

From NJ: Mogilny & a decent player.
To NJ: Nuth'n
GET-ZKY!!!!
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

Joey Moss wrote:
Adelpiero wrote:washington has to find some salary dumps, they are under the cap blanket. so i could see them taking on mogilnys contract to get at the cap bottom.
Lou's in a hell of a mess in NJ and he still has to sign Gomez and Gionta. I wonder if he'd be willing to trade someone with Mogilny just to free up the $3.5 million that he will make in the AHL.

From NJ: Mogilny & a decent player.
To NJ: Nuth'n
there was a rumor, that islanders were offering the #7 pick and yashin to blues for a bag of pucks. seriously, they wanted to unload his contract, and blus have/had huge cap space. new group said no dice. he is still owed a ton of jack. i could see them taking him and #7pick if he had 2 years and 20mil left, but i believe he is still owed 40mil?
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

I'm not thrilled with that...but I guess they needed some bodyguard action after Bryan McGrabe & Tie Domi tried their best to put ATG in the hospital.

I am still disappointed the caps let halpern go. But, I am sure they will resign him in a couple seasons. :meds:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Caps are still quite a ways from being a playoff team. Backstrom is staying in Europe for at least one year...which was expected when they drafted him. Zednik is a nice addition and you get Semin back. Letting Halpern go was a bad move...the Caps could afford $2 million a season for 4 years. They don't really have a natural #1 center. Zubrus has been a winger most of his career.

On paper, they aren't going to be that much better than this past year but they've got lots of cap room and they aren't stuck with bad contracts. Kolzig is making quite a bit but he could be a guy you move at the deadline if needed. When they want to spend money, they've got the means to and they've got a nice pipeline of talent coming through the AHL. It should be another lean year in Washington but maybe they can snag another high pick and then maybe spend some money next summer.
BrantfordBudFan
Crack Whore

Post by BrantfordBudFan »

Leafs sign Peca for one year at 2.5 million

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=171565&hubname=
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The momentum for Belfour signing with the Wings is dying down. The incentive package seems to be the sticking point and supposedly Holland is looking ahead to other options. The three names I've heard are Toskala, Biron and Esche.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

So Legace is done. I pray they don't sign Belfour. They're starting to go Leaf with the signing of over-priced, over the hill ex stars. Only difference is, at least they sign champions.

I wouldve liked to see them package Datsyuk and Legace for a shot at Luongo. Can't see why that wasn't a makeable deal.....unless they really think Pavel will get his shite togetherin the playoffs one day. It really doesn't seem like he has the intestinal fortitude for it. Shanny, gone. The Captain, gone.

It's going to be an interesting year this year.......I don't think they're doing enough this offseason, but they're probably reeling and want to see how it pans out when the dust settles.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm of the belief that since the best free agents that were available are gone and two of the key veterans of the last decade are no longer with the team...I say, don't spend a dime on any of these remaining free agents and load up for next season. This will still be a playoff team with the guys they have now but Lang, Schneider and Chelios are entering the last year of their deals. I say let them walk next summer, re-sign Datsyuk, Holmstrom and Kronwall and then have about $14 or 15 million under the cap to spend on the best free agents. If they do sign Belfour, it better not be for more than a year. Holland is in a good situation going into next season, he can possibly rid this team of over-priced veteran players and go with a younger and hopefully more hungry team going into '07-08. I don't like looking a year ahead of time but frankly, losing Yzerman and Shanahan out of that dressing room and not signing a marquee free agent tells me this season is kind of a lost cause already.
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

http://www.celebrag.com/

Rachel Hunter’s Barbados Bikini Bottom
Scroll down and find

Have to say that Rachel is not looking to hot without the entourage of stylists, and photo touchups, but Jarret Stoll looks as good as ever.

P.s Joey's wife has taken over the computer tonight
GET-ZKY!!!!
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

I've always said, the Wings.....like no other team.....are a rudderless ship without The Captain.

Yzerman was the only thing keeping Shanny in Detroit.....when he left, nothing was going to keep him there. He wanted to help him win a Cup, they got 3, and with a major re-tooling on the horizon, I'm not surprised at all he jumped ship.

I would keep Lang and Holmstrom provided they don't try to take the team to the cleaners. Holmstrom especially, he's a leader who's been there for a long time. They lose him, they lose almost any real grit they had. Like yousaid....hate thinking a year ahead, but this is definately an adjustment year for the team. Losing Konstantinov and now Fisher have really made the Wings scramble on defense, and now age and money look like they are about to decimate the D.

I like your idea of not naming a captain, out of respect for one of the greatest players of all time....but you have to pickup and move on.

Raise #19 to the rafters the 1sthome game, and have no captain for that game only. After that, it's gotta go to Nik. Draper is next in line, and will probably get it the odd time Nik doesnt suit up.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Joey Moss wrote:http://www.celebrag.com/

Scroll down and find

Have to say that Rachel is not looking to hot without the entourage of stylists, and photo touchups, but Jarret Stoll looks as good as ever.

So she upgraded from Sean Avery? :lol:

I'll forever hate Avery because he was supposedly dated Elisha Cuthbert...
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The champs acquire Scott Walker from Nashville in exchange for Josef Vasicek...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=171644&hubname=
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:I'll forever hate Avery because he was supposedly dated Elisha Cuthbert...
No kidding

Dreams......Temporary Madness
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

Looks like the Eagle may not be landing in Detroit. TSN has him working out for the Panthers: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID ... ubName=nhl
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Hobbes wrote:Looks like the Eagle may not be landing in Detroit. TSN has him working out for the Panthers: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID ... ubName=nhl

Good...it took too long to work out a deal with him and the Wings really wanted to get him as cheap as possible. He and Auld would be a solid pair for the Panthers. They're a possible playoff team if Bertuzzi returns to form. The Wings are likely going the trade route or going with Osgood and Liv/Howard as the duo. It wasn't like Belfour was going to take them to another title anyways unless travels back in time. The Wings are in a transitional period and I think it's smarter to just give some of the kids a chance to play instead of making a bunch of unnecessary additions.
podgesak
Crack Whore

Post by podgesak »

Great thread, as my family life does not allow me to follow too closely in the off season. Great to see Detroit is doing absolutely nothing but throwing farewell parties. Shanny is smart, Detroit needs to do some rebuilding and with no muscle on the team Shanny would have to continue to play a role he has no need to play anymore. I hope he does well next year, as he has been a rock for Detroit.
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

Joey Moss wrote:http://www.celebrag.com/

Scroll down and find

BOOOOOOOOOO! GET OFF THE STAGE!!!!!
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Belfour will fit nicely in florida. There are lots of other retired canadians there he can hang out with.

PS If anyone cares MacT resigns with teh Oilers for 4 year.
GET-ZKY!!!!
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Too bad 2 of his key players went selfish pro athlete on him. Pronger I get, Peca's a bit of a surprise. Then again....it IS The Garlic. So many nicer, warmer places to live. I'd laugh about all the players you've lost, but......
<--------------
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

Some good news for e-town...

http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/07/277810.html
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

al? wrote:Too bad 2 of his key players went selfish pro athlete on him. Pronger I get, Peca's a bit of a surprize
Pronger was a surpize but unless you were living under a rock, you knew Peca was going back to the eastern conference.
GET-ZKY!!!!
Cicatrix
Elwood

Post by Cicatrix »

Last piece of the puzzle....

http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/07/278006.html

Overpaid....maybe. But I really don't care.

Hurry up October.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Think of it in terms of when those final years of that deal come around and he's only counting about $4 million against the cap and he could be one the premier wingers in the league in the next handful of years. He's probably not worth that salary now but he might end up being a bargain in a couple years...you never know.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Wings sign Danny Markov
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=172414&hubname=nhl

Barring no other moves...maybe moving some salary (Schneider or Lilja)...nice addition to the blueline. Lidstrom, Schneider, Kronwall, Chelios, Markov, Lilja/Lebda...a quality defense corps but I'd feel better about them when they figure out their goaltending situation. Belfour is finally out of the question...will it be Ozzie and Howard?
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Cicatrix wrote:Last piece of the puzzle....

http://www.nhl.com/news/2006/07/278006.html

Overpaid....maybe. But I really don't care.

Hurry up October.
Like Shoalzie says, he might be overpaid now, but in a few years he won't be. Still, six years is a risky thing. A lot can happen in that amount of time!

But I don't know how you can say last piece of the puzzle... do the Oilers have more than, I don't know, 3 legitimate NHL defensemen yet? I would say not... having Matt Greene in your second pairing is a scaaaarrry thought!

In other news, news for which I will not provide a link, because we're not that kind of board, the Flames have secured a monopoly on Ference's in the NHL. Brad Ference signs with the Flames to become their 7th dman and Bryan Marchment's replacement. Not a huge stretch to expect this guy to be an improvement on Marchment, although, it's been about 3 years since he was a regular in the NHL. Still a pretty insignificant signing.
Still a FlameFan
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Same thing can be said about Rick Nash and the contract he signed...signed for $4.5 million last summer. He's had one quality season and the Jackets are signing him based on potential. He might be worth more than his $4.5 million salary when his deal comes up. Of course, the cap number is the most important factor in a contract...the guy could be paid more towards the end of the contract but the cap figure is averaged over each year of the deal.

Hemsky had his breakthrough season...nearly a point per game guy. As I said, he's not exactly worth his cap number now but he could be in a few years. These mid-20s 'stars in the making' who sign big deals are being paid as longterm investment...over pay now but the guy could be in a bargain down the road.

I think best bargain who signed a longterm deal was Zetterberg...$2.6 million a year, he signed through '08-09. He's a bargain already and he's yet to reach to his full potential, I feel. He's the future captain of the Wings and when this deal expires, he'll probably command almost 3 times what he's making now.

While on the topic of the Wings...Williams re-signs for 2 years, avoiding arbitration...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=172542&hubname=nhl

This leaves just Franzen as far as their own free agents to re-sign...he won't cost more than $6-800K being a checking forward. Williams deal is supposed $1.6 million a year so this leaves them with around $4 million with most of their roster in tact. They may still look at a goalie...Hasek and Legace don't seem to interest Holland at all so maybe Biron is still possibility because I've mentioned before, they might have to move him just to get under the cap. They're also reportedly looking for one more winger. Carter and Sykora are the best names left but I'd hope Holland takes the same approach he did with Markov...sign someone for just one year so he's got more flexibility for next summer when lots of his veterans are UFAs and he can get them off the books and he can builder a younger roster around Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Quite a surprise...at least Dom won't have to get a new mask. :meds: :lol:

If the Wings can get the Hasek that played lights out in the first half of this season, I'll be happy. His season and the Sens season for that matter was sidetracked when he got hurt in Torino. I thought he'd be persona non grada back in Detroit but I guess there is no problems if Kenny considered bringing him back. I think picking him up instead of Belfour is a better choice but still, there's no guarantee Dom will even make it through the season.

I guess this just leaves that one scoring winger Holland was supposedly pursuing. I didn't look at what Dom signed for...hopefully not much. This still leaves a few million below the cap and the roster is pretty much set.