Offseason 2006

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

BrantfordBudFan wrote:Belfour talking to the Wings.

I'm trying to not think about that... :x

If this was a few years ago when the Wings had the choice between Joseph and Belfour, I wouldn't have mind The Eagle back then. But now, he's broken down...the Wings oughta talk to Hasek if they want to bring in an old goalie with injury problems.

I have to believe that Holland is trying to make a deal but I understand that he doesn't want to give up anyone on the active roster. It's going to be hard for him to get anyone by just offering up prospects and picks. Biron is the ideal solution but Buffalo isn't going to give him up for free.

Brendan Witt signs with the Islanders
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170422&hubname=nhl

Numminen re-signs with Buffalo
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Shoalzie wrote: Peca signs with the Islanders (reunited with old coach, Ted Nolan)
Link? I'm expecting this to happen, I just haven't see anything official yet.
GET-ZKY!!!!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Joey Moss wrote:
Shoalzie wrote: Peca signs with the Islanders (reunited with old coach, Ted Nolan)
Link? I'm expecting this to happen, I just haven't see anything official yet.

I haven't seen it either...got second hand information from another message board. It's a rumor of a report that he has signed...nothing official, I guess. I won't post any news unless I have a link...that's my bad.

Another signing to report...
Steve Rucchin signs with Atlanta
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=266496
BrantfordBudFan
Crack Whore

Post by BrantfordBudFan »

Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

You guys all might as well save you money because it's over now. The cup is ours.

-Marty Reasoner Signs with Edmonton for 2 years at $950,000/yr

(nice to see someone want to play in Edmonton)
GET-ZKY!!!!
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

BrantfordBudFan wrote:J.R. back to phoenix
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170489&hubname=
Did he say he wanted to play in Canada or for an Ex-Canadian franchise?
GET-ZKY!!!!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

BrantfordBudFan wrote:J.R. back to phoenix
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170489&hubname=

It would've been cool if he went back to Chicago. Going back to Phoenix makes sense...he and Gretz should get along.

Jarkko Ruutu signs with the Penguins
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170487&hubname=nhl

(Randy) Robitaille signs with the Flyers
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170498&hubname=nhl

Kings sign Brian Willsie
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170486&hubname=nhl
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Glad to get Jarkko Ruutu out of the conference. What a pus-bag-shit-disturber. Got the Flames running around wildly every time we played the 'nucks.
Still a FlameFan
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Agree about Jerko, good riddance to bad rubbish. Always starting shit, but too pussy to drop the gloves.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Flames sign Tanguay

Tanguay signs deal with Flames
Dreams......Temporary Madness
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Dan Cloutier dealt to the Kings (sucks for you, KingFan :lol: )
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170578&hubname=nhl

Spacek signs with Buffalo
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170576&hubname=nhl
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Laraques has sign in Pheonix.
http://forums.sportsnet.ca/thread.jspa? ... 4&tstart=0

This hurts off the ice, no affect on the ice. Zach Sortini will be his replacement

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospect/zack_stortini

Now Edmonton has to find a way to replace Prongers 30 minutes, Spaceks' 25 minutes, and Laraques 3 minutes...
GET-ZKY!!!!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The salary arbitration list...
http://nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3605

Buffalo has 12 players who are going to arbitration and Florida has 8.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Cloutier is more consistant than Garon is. Yes, everyone remembers those clunker goals in the playoffs, but from what I have read Cloutier has a great attitude.

Remember the last goalie the Kings picked up from Vancouver? Quite a few people thought Potvin was washed up, and he gave the Kings their best goaltending since Rogie Vachon was in net.

Kings also signed Bill Ranford as their goalie coach. Nice to have a goaltending coach that has a couple rings and a Smythe trophy, instead of a guy who is all theory. (Nowicki)
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I think the one thing you've got going for you is that he'll be playing for his old coach, Crawford, in L.A. He had a decent stretch of seasons with the Canucks early in this decade...3 seasons of 30 wins and GAA in the 2.20 to 2.40 range. He's got a 10-13 record in the playoffs with 3.30 GAA, .872 SV% and no shutouts. Just from the numbers, he's not done squat in the postseason. I honestly thought that the Kings signing Legace would've been a decent move. The Lidstrom goal in 2001 immediately comes to mind when I think of Cloutier in a key situation. I've long believed the Canucks would never contend with him in net. Now they have Luongo, I think they become a top team in the West.

As for comparing him to Potvin...Potvin was actually an accomplished goalie at one time. Cloutier has always been on the second or third rung of the goaltending ladder in the NHL. We'll see how he is in a new city and a new environment. Crawford is a champion-winning coach...he's a proven winner but then again, he won when he had some guy named Roy in goal. Cloutier isn't exactly Patrick Roy. The Kings should be a much improved team next year but I wouldn't call them a contender with goalie tandem of Garon and Cloutier.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Shoalzie wrote:Now they have Luongo, I think they become a top team in the West.
That's a bold statement given the state of the rest of the Canucks' lineup. Past Ohlund and Salo, they've got nobody to play defense. Beyond Naslund, Cooke, and the Twins, they have nobody to play forward. Vancouver will be in tough to make the playoffs I think. A goaltender can sometimes carry a team there, but it has yet to happen for Luongo.
Still a FlameFan
Hobbes
Elwood

Post by Hobbes »

Colorado hasn't really done a whole lot. I figured Blake would be gone, but I had hoped they'd find a way to keep Hinote. He's not going going to score a lot of goals, but he's a great leader, and the Avs need someone like that. All the good FA d-men are gone, and now Liles is headed for arbitration.

They're still handicapped by moves they made before the new CBA, such as awarding Blake and Sakic large bonuses which count against the cap. Plus, they're not buying out Turgeon and Brisebois; I guess if they're going to count against the cap, might as well have them on the roster, unless someone will trade something decent for them (unlikely). With the exception of some prospects potentially cracking the lineup, I think what the Avs have is what they'll have until the deadline next season. In other words, they'll be scrambling in the West to get a 7th or 8th seed again, while Calgary or Edmonton (probably the former) takes the division title. Yippee.

So are Kings fans still going to boo Blake every time he touches the puck?
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Hobbes wrote:So are Kings fans still going to boo Blake every time he touches the puck?
My bet is no, but if things such as that amuse you, I encourage you to tune in to every Ducks game in Edmonton this season. You will hear boos like you've never heard before. :lol:
Still a FlameFan
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

The Leafs new regime with their Pat Quinn free GM, JFJ have taken two huge steps towards winning the Cup next season.

Hap's boy, JFJ has managed to pull a rabbit out of a hat and resign that stalwart, Nik Antropov along with a major league tough guy sniper, Ben Ondrus

Rumour has it JFJ is very much interested in making another bold move by resigning the lightening quick speedster Jason Allison..

The Leafs will be sooo much better this season now that Quinn's no longer around to not play the kids..

:meds:
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

JD wrote:My bet is no, but if things such as that amuse you, I encourage you to tune in to every Ducks game in Edmonton this season. You will hear boos like you've never heard before. :lol:
Anyone know the over/under is for number of condoms thrown at Pronger for his fist game back?
GET-ZKY!!!!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Is the whole Pronger/reporter thing pretty much a known fact then? I saw him interviewed on ESPNEWS yesterday...it sounded like that was the reason wanted out of Edmonton...he called it a "family decision". I wonder if Prongs will tag team that one chick from FSN with Derek Lowe. :lol:
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Shoalzie wrote:Is the whole Pronger/reporter thing pretty much a known fact then? I saw him interviewed on ESPNEWS yesterday...it sounded like that was the reason wanted out of Edmonton...he called it a "family decision". I wonder if Prongs will tag team that one chick from FSN with Derek Lowe. :lol:
No, the only facts are that he wanted out of Edmonton for 'family reasons'.

Here's my take. If it was a health reason or something legit that the public here in Edmonton would be understanding about he would have given out more info. On the other hand, if it's something he thinks the public won't accept, he'll try and stay as general as possible. I believe that it's one of two things:

1) His wife hated Edmonton.
(Before JD or the rest of you Flamers start bashing Edmonton, was your team on his list?)

2) He had an affair and wants to get as far away as possible.

Since his own father was stunned to hear the news, I'm going to guess that it's something more like option #2. He could have talked to his parents about not liking Edmonton, but I doubt he would talk to them about his infidelity. I've heard stories about reporters, and some girl from Sherwood Park. If pronger requested a trade mid-season, the girl should be 7 or 8 months pregnant by now.

Of couse this is all just speculation.... But unless he give a more open reason why he dumped a cup finalist. He is gong to get treated like dirt up here.
GET-ZKY!!!!
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Joey Moss wrote:1) His wife hated Edmonton.
(Before JD or the rest of you Flamers start bashing Edmonton, was your team on his list?)
Who knows, who cares... Lowe wouldn't have traded him here anyway. But it doesn't change the fact that Edmonton is a fucking sewer and the citizens nothing more than dirty rats that infest the place. :P
Still a FlameFan
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Joey Moss wrote:1) His wife hated Edmonton.

2) He had an affair and wants to get as far away as possible.
I have a friend who lives in Edmonton and he heard Pronger allegedly impregnated a 19 year old woman and his wife found out and that precipitated the move out of Edmonton.
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

JD wrote:
Hobbes wrote:So are Kings fans still going to boo Blake every time he touches the puck?
My bet is no, but if things such as that amuse you, I encourage you to tune in to every Ducks game in Edmonton this season. You will hear boos like you've never heard before. :lol:
LIKE YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD!!!!!!!!

Chris might be too pussy to make the trip....then again, he can always pull out his walle....EEEEERRRRRR.......I mean, claim scoreboard on you redneck, grease-ball, so close-yet so far garlic chukkers.

His wife makes the trip only if she has a death wish.
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

al? wrote:I mean, claim scoreboard on you redneck, grease-ball, so close-yet so far garlic chukkers.
So by this logic are you saying that fans shouldn't boo because every NHLer will be able to clame scoreboard on the fans based on the size of his wallet?
GET-ZKY!!!!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Post reporting Shanahan will sign with the Rangers

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170921&hubname=

Then again, the Herald reported a couple times that the Bruins were about to sign him. Until there is some official word, I'm not acknowledging this as being a fact. If we see him at a press conference early next week at the Garden and Sather is presenting him with a Rangers jersey, than I'll believe it.

If Belfour is going to sign with the Wings, it'll probably be early next week. Holland is mulling over his options...which can't take that long to mull over. With Shanahan gone, that Wings have to turn their attention
to Carter, Sykora and Samsonov. I don't know if the Wings want to get into the bidding for Havlat...supposedly he's looking for only a one year deal and he's going to arbitration.

Tom Poti signs with the Islanders

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170864&hubname=nhl
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Shoalzie wrote:The Post reporting Shanahan will sign with the Rangers

Then again, the Herald reported a couple times that the Bruins were about to sign him. Until there is some official word, I'm not acknowledging this as being a fact. If we see him at a press conference early next week at the Garden and Sather is presenting him with a Rangers jersey, than I'll believe it.
Sportsnet is reporting it too. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article. ... 10420_4032

The most interesting part of the sportsnet article was:
"A source close to the Red Wings said Shanahan decided to leave Detroit for the same deal the Wings were offering. "
GET-ZKY!!!!
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Wonder if the Oilers fans will be really cruel to Pronger and chuck rubbers on the ice?
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

Joey Moss wrote:
al? wrote:I mean, claim scoreboard on you redneck, grease-ball, so close-yet so far garlic chukkers.
So by this logic are you saying that fans shouldn't boo because every NHLer will be able to clame scoreboard on the fans based on the size of his wallet?
What does logic have to do with anything?

I'm saying the fans should boo. They should boo their fukking AAHHHHSSSS off. Pronger will take it very hard I'm sure, until he goes back to California to dive into his swimming pool full of money he jacked from your organization, 1 year into a 5 year contract.

He'll throw that on top of the $10 mil/per he stole from St. Louis.

Pronger got paid, and got out of living in Edmonton.

:bode:
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Nice move by Sather to get Shanny. The Rangers need more grit up front and Shanny provides that, along with 40 goal potential.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Cross Traffic wrote:Wonder if the Oilers fans will be really cruel to Pronger and chuck rubbers on the ice?

Joey Moss got the condom blast in already...check a few posts above you.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Joey Moss wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:The Post reporting Shanahan will sign with the Rangers

Sportsnet is reporting it too. http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article. ... 10420_4032

The most interesting part of the sportsnet article was:
"A source close to the Red Wings said Shanahan decided to leave Detroit for the same deal the Wings were offering. "

I was kind of hoping it was just another false news report I'm thinking this one is for real since several sources are confirming it. Disappointed to see him leave but I'm not holding anything against him. He came off a brilliant regular season but was very quiet in the playoffs. Several guys on the team took the heat for the early exit and Shanny did come forward to shoulder some of the blame. Legace did the same thing and he's still waiting for a call from another team.

I wish him well in NYC...he's still got plenty to bring to a hockey team. He was the missing piece for the Wings when joined the team in the '97 season. He and Jagr will be a fun pair to watch next season. Put a guy like Nylander or Straka in the middle and that's a dangerous line.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Nice wytch job! The one on the Rangers' official site is even better.

Rangers' wytch job
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls wrote:Nice wytch job! The one on the Rangers' official site is even better.

Rangers' wytch job

Yeah, I was going to post that but it's a flash file.
Blitzkrieg
The Last European

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Unwar the Shanahan jersey hanging in my closet.
Defense wins championships.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Blitzkrieg wrote:Unwar the Shanahan jersey hanging in my closet.

I'm in the same boat...had mine since '98. Got it as a birthday present. The only jersey left in my closet where the player hasn't left their team or retired is my Sundin jersey but I don't really where that around much. I guess this makes Shanny jerseys 'throwbacks'. I'll wear it at games again after he retires. Can't do it when he's still active in the league. I was planning on getting a new Zetterberg jersey anyways...I'll probably buy that before the new season starts.