restoring from a previous day

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

Eaglebauer
Elwood

restoring from a previous day

Post by Eaglebauer »

Serious question here about problem having with laptop after restoring from previous day. :o

The laptop came with some 90-day free trial McAfee subscription, which I didn't want, so I removed it.

Then had another problem where I'm not sure what I did, but I must have deleted something the laptop needed to detect the wireless network. Might've deleted something using adaware or the zonealarm spyware function. I don't know. All I know is that I wasn't detecting the wireless network I had already setup, or my neighbor's network which my laptop detected immediately the first time I powered on. :wink:

So I restored from a previous day... ...

Everything is fine, but the Mcafee crap is all messed up. The program isn't there in full, but it launches like 8 popup boxes at startup saying this and that Mcafee component is missing. When I go to try to uninstall, the unistall process always fails because.... one of the programs is missing!!!

How the fuck do I get this Mcafee pos program off my laptop?

Any port in the storm will do right now.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

click the "start" button go to "Run". type "MSCONFIG" in the box go to the "startup" tab. look for the mcafee program(s) listed, and uncheck them. Upon reboot When the box pops up about notifying you of changes to the msfconfig file, say no, or what ever the negative option is. That should end the mcafee pop up notifications and get you back to normal.

in the future always use the "add/remove programs" options in the CP to get rid of shit you don't'want. All programs have multiple files spread out in your machine and just deleting the ones you can see won't work.
mouse
Elwood

Post by mouse »

^ Dude you must own a pocket protector even I didn't know that shit.Image
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

I have a geek walking behind me who carries all my pens. ;)

and I ain't even close to some of the people round here who really know shit.

I'm just a blind squirrel who knows where his nuts are.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
mouse
Elwood

Post by mouse »

To bad we can't talk sports,cooking.politics. etc... or our shit will get moved to some other forum.

Hey do you know of any good TV cards to use? I am using WinTVR and it looks ok until I hit record and it's all fuzzy looking.
Mister Bushice

Post by Mister Bushice »

I don't use a TV Vid card, but where is your video signal coming from?

Also, having that older computer and op sys can always complicate things, and anything "Win" is not exactly leading edge when it comes to graphics/images

Find all the weak links in your signal chain and upgrade them if possible. are you running it thru a mixer or any processing equipment? take that off line then add it back in one componnent at a time to see if it is the culprit.

Not much else I know to try.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

If you don't mind spending a little extra for a TV Card, get the Haupauge PVR350 or 500. The 350 is the best because it has both an mpeg 2 encoder and decoder built in but it only has one input. The PVR500 has 2 inputs so you can do two simultanious recordings but it only has an encoder and no decoder which means that it has to do software decoding. This requires a newer PC so you can use software decoding to watch the recorded movies without any problems. If you are going to use an older PC (PIII or older) then I would definately recommend the WinTV-PVR350.

Both the WinTV-PVR 350 and 500 run about $150 at newegg.
mouse
Elwood

Post by mouse »

Thanks for the info. you two should work for Norad.

I am watching United 93 as we speak.

I am using time warner cable, the picture looks great, But as soon as I hit record it looks like i have foil on my rabbit ears,

I wonder if that HRZ crap in the settings area should be changed?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Last time I tried to remove a McAfee product, it was on a fairly fresh Win Install.

When all was said and done, I ended up figuring that it was easier to just redo the Windows, and leave the CrapAfee off.

Take a look through the registry entries, if you feel comfortable doing so. Not an expert by any means, I just know I've had some serious issues after removing McAfee...don't remember exactly what(been a couple years), but another unrelated software app wouldn't run at all after removing McAfee.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
mouse
Elwood

Post by mouse »

Hey I have a question?

I dig through the dumpters at night and I find many old PC parts. I have about 12 HDs and many cd roms etc. what if one of those HDs has child pron or somethging? will I get in trouble? or will the person who the HD belong to get in trouble?
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »

mouse wrote: I dig through the dumpters at night and have about 12 HDs and many cd roms of child pron
theres a sig in there somewhere. :lol: