Boom Boom Geoffrion dead at 75

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Boom Boom Geoffrion dead at 75

Post by Cross Traffic »

On the night his #5 was going to be raised to the Bell Centre rafters, Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion has died of stomach cancer. :cry: :cry: :cry:

In accordance with his final wishes, his #5 will be raised to the rafters tonight. There isn't going to be a dry eye in the house.
Smoked Meat
You got served

Post by Smoked Meat »

Sad indeed. Geoffrion kept close ties with the Habs organization and was looking forward to this day. He was so excited and overwhelmed to know that his jersey would be retired next to Richard's and Beliveau's jerseys.

Despite the fact he was very sick last week, Geoffrion made it clear he still wanted to be part of the ceremony. The Habs had a plane ready for him. Yesterday evening his family told the local media he was no longer conscient and it was a question of hours before he would join the "Forum ghosts."

RIP Boom-Boom Geoffrion, thank you for your loyal services.
NHL Gamecenter Live saved my life!!! Go Habs Go!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

RIP Boom Boom

I'll be settling down to watching a full night of hockey after I write this post. I'll definitely have my eyes on the pregame of the Canadiens-Rangers...should be an emotional in Montreal.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Rangers have the #5 on their helmets, they showed a crystal engraved heart that the players of the Rangers are going to give Bernie's family.

Bernard "Boom-Boom" Geoffrion New York Rangers

A player 1966-68
A coach 1968-69
A friend forever

He picked this date because 69 years ago his father in law, Howie Morenz laid in state at the old Forum after dying March 8 , 1937.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

What a great ceremony, I was choked up watching it.

RIP #5
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Cross Traffic wrote:Rangers have the #5 on their helmets, they showed a crystal engraved heart that the players of the Rangers are going to give Bernie's family.

A player 1966-68
A coach 1968-69
A friend forever

He picked this date because 69 years ago his father in law, Howie Morenz laid in state at the old Forum after dying March 8 , 1937.

I thought I heard also that the last game at the old Forum was on March 11 as well.

Cool ceremony and Huet continues to be a on roll for the Habs in goal...ironically, his 5th shutout of the season...the number of the night. Is Aebischer even going to get a sniff at the starting job if he keeps this up? The Lightning looked like crap against the Leafs and they continue to grasp for dear life onto a playoff spot. The Canadiens look like a team primed for the playoffs with their goaltending and their new defensive style under Gainey. Jersey got tagged by the Penguins tonight and the Canadiens are only 3 out 6th place in the East with a game in hand. Atlanta is only 4 back of Tampa for 8th place and the Leafs and Islanders are 6 back. Shaping up for a good race in the East.
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

"Boom Boom" played before my time, so I remember him best from his appearances
in the early Miller Lite commericials.

RIP

Former Montreal Canadien Bernard "Boum Boum" Geoffrion poses for a photograph during a news conference in this, Oct. 15, 2005 photo in Montreal announcing his jersey will be retired. Geoffrion died in an Atlanta hospital on Saturday, March 11, 2006 of stomach cancer. He was 75.
(AP Photo/Paul Chiasson, CP)

Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion, of the Montreal Canadiens and leading scorer of the National Hockey League, is shown in action in Dec. 1954. (AP Photo)
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Shoalzie wrote:
Cross Traffic wrote:Rangers have the #5 on their helmets, they showed a crystal engraved heart that the players of the Rangers are going to give Bernie's family.

A player 1966-68
A coach 1968-69
A friend forever

I thought I heard also that the last game at the old Forum was on March 11 as well.
It was.

How fitting is it that he would also die on the exact same date his father in law's casket laid in state at the forum.. :shock:

Seeing both of those sweaters raised and hanging side by side in the rafters was a fitting tribute to one of this game's true legends.

Even if he was a Hab...

The inventor of the slap shot..
RIP Boom Boom..

The Rat Pack
live at The Sands

Post by The Rat Pack »

They dragged out all of the old coots for this one. Except for Jean Beliveau. I wonder why he wasn't there? He's in decent health. I guess there is truth to the rumors that they didn't like each other at all.

I'lll say this.. No one does the pomp & circumstance like the Habs. It's almost like watching a religious ceremony or a coronation.
Pierre McGuire: "The Washington Capitals are the sleeping giants of the East. Exciting times in Washington are coming."
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Geoffrion thought he should have been the captain when Rocket retired in 1960. Instead the Habs went with Beliveau.

Butch Bouchard was there and he is 85.
Last edited by Cross Traffic on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoked Meat
You got served

Post by Smoked Meat »

Beliveau was in Barbados.
NHL Gamecenter Live saved my life!!! Go Habs Go!