Trade Deadline Moves

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Shoalzie
WingNut

Trade Deadline Moves

Post by Shoalzie »

Trade deadline is tomorrow at 3 p.m. (Eastern)

First deal of note has gone down today. Edmonton acquires Dwayne Roloson from Minnesota for a 1st round pick and a conditional pick. Mike Morrison was recently placed on waivers by the Oilers to help make room.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/trade_deadline/ne ... e_deadline
Last edited by Shoalzie on Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

I have a feeling this will be a pretty short thread compared to the ones in the past. Darryl Sutter has been publicly lamenting the lack of availability of deals in the past couple days.

As for the Roloson thing, my initial thought is that the Oilers went from having 3 backup goalies to now having 4. Fortunately for them, however, is that Roloson now becomes the best of that group of backups. It should improve their team, but probably not by enough to merit the price they paid for him.

I wouldn't feel comfortable about a potential Stanley Cup run with Dwayne Roloson. And they are talking about such things up in Perogyland.
Still a FlameFan
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

A 36 year old goalie for a 1st rounder? Minnesota got over.
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

I wish somebody would take Andrew Raycroft of the Bruins hands for that price.......
New England Patriots
2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016 Champions

Boston Red Sox
2004, 2007, 2013 Champions

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

From TSN.ca...Leafs acquire Luke Richardson from Columbus for a 5th round pick and a conditional 4th rounder.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Aren't the Leafs old and slow enough as it is? :lol:
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

JD wrote:I have a feeling this will be a pretty short thread compared to the ones in the past.
I don't think that is such a bad thing. Yeah, it was interesting to talk about all the trade activity on the trade deadline, but the amount of activity also made it kind of a joke.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I think there are more rumors out there than there will be trades because of the cap. We'll see plenty of movement in the offseason but the deadline takes on a new meaning when the contenders have to stay within a set amount. If this was the old system, you'd see a team like the Wings going after Brendan Witt, Shane Doan or even Roberto Luongo. With the cap, the Wings can't do much since they're right up against the number and they'd have to move some salary for it to work.

I know the contracts right now are pro-rated based on how many days have past in the season so a player's cap number is actually much lower now than before the season. I'm not positive on how it exactly works but with the season basically being 3/4 done...I think a contract for this year is only worth a 1/4 of the original total and then the remaining years would be the original amount starting next year. I bet we'll see a few rent-a-player deals made by tomorrow afternoon but nobody with a lot of years left on their deal will be moved.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Rangers trade Ville Nieminen to the Sharks for a third round pick. Are the Rangers trying to free some cap space for another move?

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=157706&hubname=
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Kings acquire Mark Parrish and Brent Sopel from the Islanders for prospects Jeff Tambellini and Denis Grebeshkov. Parrish will be a free agent after this year.

JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:
JD wrote:I have a feeling this will be a pretty short thread compared to the ones in the past.
I don't think that is such a bad thing. Yeah, it was interesting to talk about all the trade activity on the trade deadline, but the amount of activity also made it kind of a joke.
Agreed. My thoughts on that are found in some other thread floating around this board.
Still a FlameFan
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Nice trade by the Kings, doesn't take anyone from the current team. Tambellini is going to be a good player though.

Now if the Kings can somehow get Witt. :)
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Theodore to Colorado
Aebischer to Montreal

Lacroix sure loves those Montreal goalies, too bad Theo is hurt and is nowhere worth 5.7m a season.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Montreal won that trade...Aebischer is younger and less expensive. The Avs still need to improve their blueline too. Take on that salary isn't going to give them a lot of wiggle room to make a deal for another defenseman.
Last edited by Shoalzie on Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Toronto trades Ken Klee to New Jersey. I guess they did that so Richardson could wear his familiar #22 or something. :lol:

Smoked Meat
You got served

Post by Smoked Meat »

Thank you Pierre Lacroix :lol:

Ever since 2001 it was nothing but down the hill for Theo: Normal to catastrophic goaltending, suspicious links with the Hell's Angels, loan shark Dad, convicted pedophile Father-in-law... Good riddance. Good luck Avs, please keep in mind Theo is NOT Patrcik Roy

:lol:
NHL Gamecenter Live saved my life!!! Go Habs Go!
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Cross Traffic wrote:A 36 year old goalie for a 1st rounder? Minnesota got over.
Not at all. Edmonton has a shit tonne of young prospects and they got to address their number 1 need without giving up a rostered player. Edmonton is 4 points out of first in the NW and their BEST goalie had a pittiful 0.884 SV%.

With Roloston, Edmonton should make the playoffs which means that their draft pick will be in the last 16. And this is NOT a deep draft.

Edmonton's playoff chances just improved tremendously and with the extra money that they will make from one round of playoffs, (hopefully more), they will be able to sign a proven UFA over the summer that will be greater than that #1 pick anyway.
GET-ZKY!!!!
Joey Moss
2005 SNC Champion

Post by Joey Moss »

Shoalzie wrote:From TSN.ca...Leafs acquire Luke Richardson from Columbus for a 5th round pick and a conditional 4th rounder.
How much does that suck for Luke? Most of the veterans traded off of poor teams are going to teams to help with playoff runs.
GET-ZKY!!!!
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

Richardson will be reminded of those final years playing for the Laffs under Ballard.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:Rangers trade Ville Nieminen to the Sharks for a third round pick. Are the Rangers trying to free some cap space for another move?

I wouldn't be suprised because they could use another defenseman.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
d-townmike
"Q-Town"

Post by d-townmike »

Smoked Meat wrote:Thank you Pierre Lacroix :lol:

Ever since 2001 it was nothing but down the hill for Theo: Normal to catastrophic goaltending, suspicious links with the Hell's Angels, loan shark Dad, convicted pedophile Father-in-law... Good riddance. Good luck Avs, please keep in mind Theo is NOT Patrcik Roy

:lol:
And he is injured and won't be ready until playoff time at the earliest! :evil:

What a boneheaded move PL made tonight and how this will help the team I will never know.

First, they fire Bob Hartley, then they trade away Adam Foote, Chris Drury and Peter Forsberg, then demote Tony Granato for the worthless dictator that is Joel Quennville and now this. Since 2001, Pierre has done nothing but dumbass moves that have gotten us nowhere. Sure we somehow manage to get into the playoffs, but we're almost always eliminated in the first round and usually in four games.

My faith in this team has been low enough all season, mainly with their lack of defense around the goalie and not the goalie himself, plus them having trouble in the shootout, and now it has hit almost rock bottom.

I won't be convinced this is a good move until Theodore can prove he can perform injured and the D-men step up their efforts.
Don't blame me, I voted for Trump
kcdave wrote:kicked my own ass many times
al?
Elwood

Post by al? »

I seriously don't get the Aebechier trade. At least not for Colorado.

I thought the Avs were having a decent season, and Aebechier was one of the reasons.

He must have pissed off the coach, or Sakic, or somebody important.That is a seriously wack trade for a $5.7 mil per, hair steroid using, fluke Hart winning, slightly above average goaltender.

Hello? Pierre! PIERRE?!?!?!?!?! Hello?!?

is this thing on?
:?
Screw_Michigan

Post by Screw_Michigan »

it's a breeze being a french canadian goaltender for the habs in the post roy era.

sin,

no one ERRRR jocelyn thibault.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

No additional moves made overnight but Washington did scratch Brendan Witt...probably just to be safe. He's been wanting to get traded since the beginning of the season. I've seen Nashville has been a team wanting to go after him but there's been one source saying the Wings could be interested.

Also Olli Jokinen has been a named bantied about quite a bit. I can see a team like Atlanta going after him to give them another center to go with Savard to help them push for their first playoff spot. The best two-team battle down the stretch could be the battle between Montreal and Atlanta for the #8 spot in the East. Both teams have played well in their last 10 games and Montreal is just 3 points behind Tampa Bay in 7th place. Toronto is 6 points back of Atlanta and 7 back of Montreal. I think it's going to come down to the Canadiens and the Thrashers fighting for one spot. The addition of a player like Jokinen could trump the Canadiens trade yesterday to improve in goal.

It'll also be interesting to see what Vancouver does concerning their goaltending and their defense, who have been riddled with injuries. Do they trade away Bertuzzi? Should be a wild battle in the Northwest down the stretch. First place Calgary is just 4 points ahead of Edmonton, who is in 8th place in the West. Detroit and Dallas are comfortably in first place in their divisions but the standings in the Northwest can change dramatically in a matter of games. With around 20 games to go in the season for most teams, there is still a lot to be decided. Should be a great 5-6 weeks of hockey.

War TSN's Trade Tracker
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Minor deal that just went through...

Montreal picks up Todd Simpson from Chicago for a 6th round pick

Gotta think Atlanta has to make a move today. Do they go after Jokinen or Witt?
Mainiac
Born Again Liberal

Post by Mainiac »

You guys are completely overlooking the biggest deal yet: Marius Czerkawski to the Bruins from the waiver wire. That does it, the Bruins will be filling the net up with pucks from here on in. :x
Tiger Williams wrote:"... some snot-nosed little fuck that isn't going to break a nail is going to score 50 goals and he's never driven to the net in his life. He's never stood in front with Moose Dupont giving him 89 cross checks in the back of the head."
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Devils pick up Brad Lukowich from the Islanders for a 3rd round pick.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:Rangers trade Ville Nieminen to the Sharks for a third round pick. Are the Rangers trying to free some cap space for another move?

I wouldn't be suprised because they could use another defenseman.
Maybe they make a run at Leetch.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The rash of deals involving depth defensemen continues...

The Devils ship Sean Brown to Vancouver for a 4th round pick.

I'm waiting for a blockbuster to happen but I won't hold my breath. Teams are going to have to be either very creative with the cap or we'll just see some minor deals like we've seen so far this morning. Only three hours left...
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

How about another?

Sean O'Donnell to Anaheim

5th and 6th defensemen...get 'em while they're hot! :lol:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm sensing a pattern...

Phoenix deals away another defenseman...Denis Gauthier to the Flyers for Josh Gratton and 2 draft picks.
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Gauthier for a player and TWO SECOND ROUNDERS??? Talk about overpayment. Apparently the market has been driven up for players of that ilk... either that, or nobody things too highly of draft picks.
Still a FlameFan
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Vancouver picks up a goalie...

Mika Noronen from Buffalo for a 2nd round pick

This must mean that Biron is staying with the Sabres. He was a hot name early on when the Sabres went on their long road winning streak.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Jeff Friesen goes back to Anaheim...for a 2nd round pick.

Is a Brendan Witt trade coming soon?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Olli Jokinen signs an extension with the Panthers so that means he's staying put in Florida.

Mark Recchi has reportedly waived his N.T.C. and he's on his way to Carolina. Great move by the 'Canes...especially with Cole being hurt. Ironic that they'd pick up a player from Pittsburgh considering Cole was injured by the Pens' Brooks Orpik. I'm sure we'll see this deal happen very soon.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Keith Carney to Vancouver for a pick and a prospect...

1 hour remaining!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Shoalzie wrote:Mark Recchi has reportedly waived his N.T.C. and he's on his way to Carolina. Great move by the 'Canes...especially with Cole being hurt. Ironic that they'd pick up a player from Pittsburgh considering Cole was injured by the Pens' Brooks Orpik. I'm sure we'll see this deal happen very soon.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=157830&hubname=
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Waiver moves...
Mike Morrison claimed by Ottawa
Rico Fata claimed by Washington
Andy Hilbert claimed by Pittsburgh
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Is Witt heading to Detroit?

The Wings just traded Jamie Rivers to Phoenix for a 7th round pick

This has to mean they're making another deal to pick someone up.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Ducks are shuffling their defense...Sandis Ozolinsh goes to the Rangers for a 3rd round pick.

Still waiting on what the Wings will do after the Rivers deal. Just 15 minutes to go...