What Can I Do About This Spam?

Tech questions and answers, video game stuff.

Moderator: ElTaco

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

What Can I Do About This Spam?

Post by indyfrisco »

I have Netzero dialup at home. I rarely get on the net at home so I got the cheapest shit I could buy. It's not the free stuff, but it's like $10 a month.

Anyhow, Every 3-5 minutes or so, I get a pop-up like this:

I have pop-up blocker, but I have a feeling this is something that is either embedded in my computer or Netzero is sending me this shit.

Any way I can get rid of this? It really pisses me off because if I have my computer logged on for a period of time or so, when I come back to it, I have to click "OK" like 20 times.

Thanks.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

You need to turn off MS messenger. It is a setting in your control panel. A simple click of a box will turn it off.

Go here. Follow the instructions for your op sys:

http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Its not MS Messenger. Its the Messenger Service that comes built into windows. It allows a PC to send a message to another PC/User on the network. Its actually a useful service if you are an administrator but on cable networks, people have been abusing it if you don't use a firewall.

While disabling the Messenger Service will fix that specific problem, it will not stop the countless other attacks your PC sees every day. I'd recommend a firewall/router.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

named it wrong, linked it correct.

Besides, it is a fucking pain in the ass and is useless because there is no monitoring of who can access it. Any company can abuse it, and from my experience, spammers are the only ones who do. The pop up messages are annoying and can scare newbies.

And it can even be abused on a dial up. The bad part about that is it eats up all the bandwidth and slows the crap out of your internet access.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Indy, have a look at Verizon DSL. Some of their services are like 14.95/mo.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Bush,

Thanks for the link. Didn't think I'd need to firewall my dial-up but it's probably a good idea...

PSU,

I'll look into it again. I don't think I can get DSL where I'm at. All we have is cable modems and I'm not paying $40/month for internet I rarely use. I'd do the DSL though if it was $15/month.
frodo_biguns
gibbering dumbfuck

Re: What Can I Do About This Spam?

Post by frodo_biguns »

IndyFrisco wrote:I have Netzero dialup at home. I rarely get on the net at home so I got the cheapest shit I could buy. It's not the free stuff, but it's like $10 a month.

Anyhow, Every 3-5 minutes or so, I get a pop-up like this:

I have pop-up blocker, but I have a feeling this is something that is either embedded in my computer or Netzero is sending me this shit.

Any way I can get rid of this? It really pisses me off because if I have my computer logged on for a period of time or so, when I come back to it, I have to click "OK" like 20 times.

Thanks.
How good are you with PCs? Two things I would suggest. Go into your msconfig Start > Run > msconfig and shut it down or look for it in the start up.

Otherwise: Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services look for the App and shut it down/disable it.

I'd also get a registry cleaner.
http://www.download.com/Registry-Mechan ... 49249.html

When all else fails Winpatrol!
http://www.winpatrol.com/

But after looking at that! I'm thinking this could be a spoof! It could just be a pop-up that is tyring to get you to purchase some BS software. Either way! You can't go wrong with the steps listed above.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

frodo_biguns wrote:How good are you with PCs?
Well, I'm an SAP BW Database Developer, but that doesn't do me a lot of good with dealing with SPAM. I used to do all kinds of minor hacking and shit like that eyars ago, but now I just don't have the time to deal with that shit. I know my way around a PC, just never had that messenger service thing before until I got the Netzero dial-up installed.

Anyhow, thanks for the notes.
ElTaco
Networking Securely

Post by ElTaco »

Messenger service comes by default with your windows. Its actually a very useful tool for network admins. This is a trick that spammers have been taking use of for years.

This also shows that you don't have any firewall. Please activate your Windows XP firewall at the minimum or install some other firewall software.
frodo_biguns
gibbering dumbfuck

Post by frodo_biguns »

IndyFrisco wrote:
frodo_biguns wrote:How good are you with PCs?
Well, I'm an SAP BW Database Developer, but that doesn't do me a lot of good with dealing with SPAM. I used to do all kinds of minor hacking and shit like that eyars ago, but now I just don't have the time to deal with that shit. I know my way around a PC, just never had that messenger service thing before until I got the Netzero dial-up installed.

Anyhow, thanks for the notes.
Go to start > Run and type in "msconfig"

hit the starup tab and remove messenger in there and if it is remove it. If not go into tyour control panel > administrative tools > and disable messenger there. :wink:

You might also find a number of things you want to turn off. I'm a big fan of WinPatrol, grab that if you can too.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
peter dragon
2006 Pickem Champion

Post by peter dragon »