Julien fired, Gainey takes over

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Julien fired, Gainey takes over

Post by Cross Traffic »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah Bob Gainey is going to infuse some passion into floaters like Kovalev. Do have to thank Bob for one thing, giving the Kings Garon for Huet. :)
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

In fairness, Huet has been solid for the Canadiens. I'm reading a lot lately that Theodore could be on his way out.
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

Canadiens fire Julien; Gainey takes over
January 14, 2006

MONTREAL (AP) -- The Montreal Canadiens fired coach Claude Julien on Saturday, replacing him with general manager Bob Gainey on an interim basis.

The Canadiens got off to a strong 12-3 start this season under Julien before winning just seven of their next 25 games.

"The team needed something," defenseman Craig Rivet said. "I think we're slowly sliding in the wrong direction.
Still, Rivet added, "none of us expected this at all."

Montreal also fired assistant coach Rick Green and replaced him with former captain Guy Carbonneau.

Gainey was on the ice for the team's morning skate to prepare for the Canadiens' game Saturday night against the San Jose Sharks.

"The coach is our boss and he makes everyone accountable and if it doesn't happen, like in any job, the guy in charge pays the price," team captain Saku Koivu said. "But it's always unfortunate when it happens."

Julien was hired for his first NHL head coaching job on Jan. 17, 2003. The former NHL defenseman helped the Canadiens reach the second round of the playoffs in 2003-04.

Julien leaves with a 72-62-10-5 record. Green had been an assistant coach with Montreal since 2000.

The 52-year-old Gainey, who played for Montreal from 1973-89, became coach of the Minnesota North Stars in 1990 and acted as coach and GM from 1992-96. He was then general manager of the Minnesota/Dallas franchise until he joined the Canadiens as GM in 2003.

Carbonneau was in his third season as assistant GM in Dallas. He was an assistant coach in Montreal from 2000-02.

Updated on Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 12:03 pm EST

File this story in the "What Have You Done For Us Lately?" Department.
Seems like an annual occurence, eh? :P
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

I just wish teams would stop making trades and firing their coaches just before the Flames play them. The Flames have already lost 2 easy points on the Island because of a coaching change. (or was it because the Flames played like crap.... the Canucks still managed to beat the snot out of the Isles.)

As for the change itself, I thought Julien did a pretty good job over the time he was there. One bad slide and he's punted. I'd say Don Cherry was right on this one: it was preordained. Although I'm not sure Grapes knew what preordained meant when he said it... :D
Still a FlameFan
Smoked Meat
You got served

Post by Smoked Meat »

Great...this had to happen while I'm in Tokyo.

I'm kind of sad for Julien because I thought he did a great job up until Kovalev got hurt a few months ago. Ever since then he has tried to make the Canadiens play some sort of a defensive game which I thought was ridiculous since the Habs strenght is their speed and offense. Yeah sure, Theo's goaltending is rather average this year but even if he lets in 5 easy goals the team can score 6 no problem.

Of course, this is Montreal so I will spare all the gossips and stories I've heard about a few players recently. If you win here, you will be God. If you lose, make sure you gave your 100% despite the defeat otherwise... :?

Now hopefully when I come back I'll be watching some exciting hockey and some commitment to excellence.
NHL Gamecenter Live saved my life!!! Go Habs Go!
JD
Elwood

Post by JD »

Smoked Meat wrote:Now hopefully when I come back I'll be watching some exciting hockey and some commitment to excellence.
Why, you planning on taking in some Sens games? :lol:
Still a FlameFan
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

For about 6 or 7 years with the Stars, Gainey could do no wrong. Every move he made worked. Then he signed Pierre Turgeon and Donald Audette and it kind of fell apart from there. But he's one of the wisest and classiest guys in hockey. I vividly remember him getting in between Colorado GM Pierre LaCroix and officials supervisor Wally Harris during a disputed goal during the West Final, 1999 and defusing the situation. And I don't know about Carbo too much as a coach type but he's in my top 3 favorite players of all time. Nobody busted their ass more in crunch time. A true gamer/winner. Why the Habs/St. Louis ever let him go is a mystery to me. If he's half as successful coach as he was a player, Montreal is in good shape. I wish those guys the best.
Smoked Meat
You got served

Post by Smoked Meat »

JD wrote:
Smoked Meat wrote:Now hopefully when I come back I'll be watching some exciting hockey and some commitment to excellence.
Why, you planning on taking in some Sens games? :lol:
I knew I was opening the door for such a reply. :lol:

Mind you, I hope that the Alfredsson-Spezza line will be back on track soon so I can reclaim the number one rank in the Yahoo pool.
NHL Gamecenter Live saved my life!!! Go Habs Go!