talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

The new coach of the KC Chiefs is.....

Post by DallasFanatic »

You got it fellas, Herm Edwards.

Just a bit of number crunching and he's yours Chief fan

What do you guys think? I remember a lot of people wanted Saunders, but Herm isn't that bad. Or is he?

:lol:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Only having to give up a 4th rounder isn't that bad of a price tag but I don't know if he's that muc better than the guys that are out there right now.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Herm's a good coach. He will bring a toughness and new identity to that Defense. Get Guuntah the fuck out of there.
orcinus
2013 JAFFL Champ

Post by orcinus »

While there are exceptions at both ends of the spectrum (good coaches as well as bad ones), I don't see a huge gap in the league's overall coaching ranks. Talent, execution and the right situation will always play a much bigger role in a team's fate.

I'm fine with Edwards and probably would have been fine with Saunders, as well.

I'm more concerned about keeping our OL healthy and having some solid veteran leadership in the locker room next season to improve chemistry, focus and execution on the field.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

I like Edwards, think he's a good, not great, coach.

The Jets played with toughness and discipline under him.

His players like him, and more importantly, they bust ASS for him.

I don't think he's among the better 'in-game' coaches in the league.

If he is, indeed, the new Chef coach then I can't see why the fans wouldn't embrace him.
velocet
"Q-Town"

Post by velocet »

A coach who was fortunate enough to live off of the house that Tuna built.

He is an all out bullshittin' nobody worthy of nothing. Neely is right for once. The guy fucking sucks ass.

Here's something: how about hiring someone who, as a coach, might be something of an innovator? Sure, those are few and far between. Coaches who revolutionize things on the field, like Walsh with offense or Buddy Ryan with defense are the gold standards. Even a coach who subscribes to an existing system, but is nails with X's and O's?

Herm???

How about one of the other pillars of coaching: Motivation? Some say that that is overrated: I call bullshit on that. Jimmy Johnson, Parcells, Vermeil are all coaches with rings who aren't lauded for strategy as much as creating that locker room vibe, call it team chemistry, whatever.

Herm?

Fukk, I could go on and on. This just sucks.

velocet
UCant Unretires Again

Post by UCant Unretires Again »

velocet wrote:The guy fucking sucks ass.

Yeah, but... I've dropped his "you play to win the game" line in countless debates and discussions and it never gets old.

Hey local Boston fans... anyone hear ESPN Radio 890 play Monty Biesel's "That's bullshit. I'm a PR guy myself" line over and over during "The Drive" with Mike Felger? Some quotes are just timeless.

KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

poptart wrote:
The Jets played with toughness and discipline under him.

His players like him, and more importantly, they bust ASS for him.

I don't think he's among the better 'in-game' coaches in the league.
Agreed.

He is Marty all over.

Interesting read by Posnanski in the KC Star:
Longing for MartyballMaybe Peterson believes Edwards can rekindle gloryJOE POSNANSKIFrom the start, I’ve thought that Chiefs president/CEO/general manager/cruise director Carl Peterson would try to hire Herman Edwards to be coach. It just makes too much sense. Peterson loves Edwards. They go back more than 25 years. Peterson tried to recruit Edwards to UCLA. He signed Edwards as a pro player. He hired Edwards to work as a scout. He persuaded Edwards to go into coaching. He helped Edwards get the head-coaching job in New York.
When Peterson hired Dick Vermeil, he hired someone who had been like a father to him. Hiring Herm Edwards would be like hiring something close to a son.
But there’s something else at work here, too, something you can’t help but notice if you listen to Peterson talk. He has grown tired of the roller coaster. He has grown tired of 38-37 games. He has grown tired of winning seasons followed by losing seasons followed by winning seasons. You couldn’t miss it on Tuesday, when Peterson was challenged by a pointed question: With the way the Chiefs’ offense has played the last five years, how could you hire anyone but offensive coordinator Al Saunders?
Peterson was not too crazy about the tone of the question. He bounced around a little bit, talked about the NFL minority-hiring policy, talked about how he knows Al Saunders’ strengths and weaknesses. And then he said this: “There are other considerations more than just the offensive side of the football.”
Here’s what I thought: Carl Peterson really misses Marty.
It isn’t the first time that Marty nostalgia has popped up either. Peterson misses the Marty Schottenheimer 1990s, when the Chiefs always won 10 or more games and always made the playoffs. True, to many Chiefs fans, that was the age of frustration, years most remembered for heartbreaking playoff losses and grinding 17-14 punt-fests. But to Peterson, those years were heaven.
And I think he believes Herm Edwards can take the Chiefs back to heaven.
See, this is what you have to understand about Peterson: The man hates losing. People always seem to miss this. Peterson hates losing football games as much as anyone in the NFL. Put it this way: He probably hates losing games more than you do.
That disgust for losing has been the driving force behind Peterson and the Chiefs for 17 years. It is why the Chiefs have averaged about 10 victories per season over that time. It is why, unlike almost every other team in the NFL, the Chiefs have never been thoroughly awful on Peterson’s watch.
Best winning percentages since 1989:
1. San Francisco, .618
2. Pittsburgh, .613
3. Denver, .610
4. Kansas City, .594
5. Green Bay, .588.
Now you will point out that, unlike the other four teams on the list, the Chiefs have not made the Super Bowl in that time. Well, that’s a whole different argument. I’m talking about winning and losing games. Here — let me try and prove to you that Carl Peterson cares more about winning games than you do. I’ll make you an offer. You have two choices: 1. The Chiefs can win 10 or 11 games each of the next five years and make the playoffs, but they probably will not go to the Super Bowl.
2. The Chiefs will win the Super Bowl once in the next five years, guaranteed, but the other four years they will go 3-13.
Now, which of those options would you take? I don’t know you very well, but I’m guessing you might take Option 2 — you would take four bad years for one Super Bowl championship. It has been so long for this town. We’re all dying for the title. I asked nine people — all nine took the Super Bowl win. I would take Option 2.
That’s where Carl Peterson’s different. He would, almost without any doubt, take Option 1. He would not trade all those losses for one Super Bowl championship. No way. Winning and losing games matter to him too much. Winning is good business. He’d take the double-digit victories every year and take his chances in the playoffs.
That’s what the Marty Schottenheimer days were all about. Good business. The Chiefs made the playoffs seven of eight years, they gave up the fewest points twice, they ran the ball down people’s throats, they had the best record in the AFC twice, they were as reliable as a Maytag. Peterson liked that. He tried to keep that metronome going with Gunther Cunningham, but things changed, Derrick died, the metronome stopped.
So, Peterson went with his old friend, a Super Bowl coach, Dick Vermeil, and for five years it was a high-wire act, passes flying everywhere, scoreboards lighting up, touchdown dances galore. Everybody bet the over. Every game was exciting. But the Chiefs finished 6-10 one year, the worst record in the Peterson era. They had another losing season. They made the playoffs only once — that now makes it one playoff appearance in eight years. And I think, toward the end especially, Peterson, like George Jetson, wanted to get off this crazy thing.
That’s why I think he will, if at all possible, hire Herm Edwards. Let’s face it: There’s nothing about Edwards that gets your heart racing. He has a losing record with the Jets. He has never coached a team to more than 10 wins. He has won a couple of playoff games — two more than the Chiefs have in the last decade — but he is probably best remembered for the way his Jets went into a Robert Novak conservative shell in the final minutes last season in Pittsburgh and lost a playoff game they had won.
There are good things, too. The Jets did make the playoffs three times in five years — no Jets coach before had made the playoffs three times. Edwards’ players swear by him. They play hard for him. Terrific coaches like Tony Dungy, Bill Cowher and, yes, Schottenheimer, say that Edwards is one of the brightest coaches in the game. Give him a running game (Larry Johnson) and defensive talent (the Chiefs seem to have some), and he might very well do good things.
There are some other interesting choices out there. Bob Stoops has been amazing at Oklahoma. Butch Davis was dreadful in Cleveland, but he was a big winner in college, too. Jim Fassel went to a Super Bowl with the Giants. And, hey, Al Saunders has, in fact, engineered the league’s highest-scoring offense the last four years.
But in the end, I think, Peterson wants stability. He wants to go back to the 1990s. He can’t hire Marty Schottenheimer again. Edwards is the next best thing.

If you look at the Jets, you'll see Replica Martyball.
If you look at the poor in game management you'll again see Martyball.
BTW - heard on the NFL network Marty is at odds with AJ Smith?

You'll see a lot of max protects and LJ get 30 carries every game Not a bad thing if roaf comes back) but as mentioned earlier, I don't think we have the horses on the D Line to win a lot of 17-14 games.

Trent Green's Fantasy Value takes a huge nosedive. :wink:

I also think there were equal or better candidates out there - But not Al Saunders (I still have a feeling he'll end up with the Raiders).
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

e wrote:winning leads to the money. that article kind of glosses over that. peterson feels that five winning seasons will make more money for him and the team than one super bowl and four losing seasons.
Stole my post.

Thats what I pretty much got out of that article as well-which really fucking sucks for cheiffan and is complete garbage altogether.

I'd take the 9ers, Ravens, and Rams salary cap hell they eventually experienced after winning the title than a consistent year in and year out 1 and done in the playoffs.

Jus' Sayen
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

Raydah James wrote:
e wrote:winning leads to the money. that article kind of glosses over that. peterson feels that five winning seasons will make more money for him and the team than one super bowl and four losing seasons.
Stole my post.

Thats what I pretty much got out of that article as well-which really fucking sucks for cheiffan and is complete garbage altogether.

I'd take the 9ers, Ravens, and Rams salary cap hell they eventually experienced after winning the title than a consistent year in and year out 1 and done in the playoffs.

Jus' Sayen
The Niners were in salary cap hell twice since 1994 .
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Color me less than impressed with this hire. I'm usually a glass half full type (read: myopic, Kool-Aid chugging homer) fan when it comes to the Chiefs, but not this time. I wanted Saunders, instead he'll prolly wind up with the Raiders and come back to haunt us. :x

Interesting take from Mike Vaccaro from the New York press, a former KC Star sports writer btw. The bolded parts worry the fuck out of me, 'cause that's exactly what cost us at least 3 or 4 games last year as a senile Vermeil single handedly served up gifts to the bad guys.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Fri, Jan. 06, 2006
New York media's take on Jets coach Herman Edwards Star News Services

He’ll be their problem

Herman Edwards — he of the 39-41 lifetime record, he of the in-game clock management so dreadful the Jets actually had to hire a coach to do it for him; he of the decision to play for a field goal when the AFC championship game was within his grasp a year ago; and he of the defiant declaration that he most certainly was not going to be coaching the Kansas City Chiefs next year — is apparently all but out the door and headed for the Kansas City Chiefs next year.
Amazing. The Jets don’t even get to fire the likes of Al Groh and Herman Edwards anymore. They’re the ones who get fired.
Well, Edwards is soon to be Kansas City’s problem. He will galvanize the Chiefs’ locker room, of that there is little doubt. He will give the radio guys some wonderful sound bites, and every now and again he’ll show up on the local news giving one of his revivalist homilies, the kind that usually came right on the heels of someone daring to criticize him or his team a little too fervently.
He will also undoubtedly convert what is now one of the NFL’s most dazzling offenses into a predictable, drab, grind-it-out eyesore. Chiefs fans used to seeing lots of points and lots of balls in the air had better get ready for a lot of close games, a lot of 13-10 games late in the fourth quarter. And then, when the time comes for the Chiefs to figure out how to win those games, how to manage the clock, how to out-coach the other guy — well, just wait for that. That ought to be fun. …

Mike Vaccaro

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sincerely believe we're fucked.

Nice job, Carl. You mean it only cost us a 4th round draft pick? Gee, isn't that the same round you picked up Jared Allen in?
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
War Wagon wrote:I wanted Saunders, instead he'll prolly wind up with the Raiders and come back to haunt us. :x
RaydahFan can only DREAM of that happening.
Saunders might make it over to St. Louis , at least as an OC .

Unless the Chiefs try to keep him .
Neely8
2016 JAFFL Champ

Post by Neely8 »

I am shocked that not only would a team hire Herm Edwards, but give up a pick to get him. This guy is quite honestly a HORRIBLE coach. Rich Kotite like horrible!! His chastising and fighting with the NY media is laughable. How dare they ask questions of the coach after a game. I am sad to see him leave our division however knowing the Jets they will bring in some other tool so it's all good....

Next year is going to be a blast in here with KC fan..........
New England Patriots
2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016 Champions

Boston Red Sox
2004, 2007, 2013 Champions

Boston Celtics
2008 Champions

Boston Bruins
2011 Champions
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Neely8 wrote:
Next year is going to be a blast in here with KC fan..........
Yep, I'm going to beat the rush and make reservations for at least 8 complete meltdowns.

Here's the deal.

A good coach can't make a bad team better.

But a bad coach most assuredly can turn a good team into a mediocre, back-biting also ran.

Herm is being handed the keys to a Cadillac, and I'm afraid he's going to drive it straight off a fucking cliff.

God help me, I hope he proves me wrong.
Aaron in Tucson
Elwood

Post by Aaron in Tucson »

Herm is being handed the keys to a Cadillac ~ Wags

T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

The winning over the Super Bowl says it all. Carl would rather have the consistency associated with low-level risks. Well, to win in this league you have to take some risks on offense, defense, in the draft, free agency, etc. If you are only going for 10 win seasons your mode of operation is different than that of someone who pulls out all the stops to win it all. Totally different mind-set. Stay consistent or go for it all.......how sad for chef fan. You will never ever get over the hump with that guy in charge.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Bwa Aaron......I was thinking Nick Nolte's caddy in 48 hrs.......
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

T REX wrote: Why Yes, I do smoke black meat missile often when im not whining like a cunt for chucky to get fired when he loses, or puffing chucky's jizzblaster with my cocksicle waxers when he wins.

We know you bottomfeeding slunt. We Know.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

raider lames: Hey....what did you say? Your team blows again? Those draft picks work out well for ya? How about that caysh? Wonderful.

Have fun in the cellar you pathetic piece of shit.

PS Your team sucks.

PSS Have fun at that draft party.

Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

T REX wrote:raider lames: Hey....what did you say? Your team blows again? Those draft picks work out well for ya? How about that caysh? Wonderful.

Have fun in the cellar you pathetic piece of shit.

PS Your team sucks.

PSS Have fun at that draft party.
730 posts of unreadable welcher horseshit and counting.......

Does it suck being the very definition of "bitch"-or are you so fucking stupid that you just dont notice?
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:Does anybody else find it quite ironic that TREXIE is posting in a thread about a coach whose (now FORMER) 4-12 team absolutely PUNKED his team???

So TREXIE, how 'bout that Herm Edwards??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, thats RIGHT-the Sucs did get Anal Assassined by the sorry fucking Jets.

I forget-what other "Shitty" team Pwned them last year as well......could it have been the RAIDERS?

kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Aint a fucking chance in hell that Herm can be any worse at clock management than Vermiel was.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

velocet wrote:A coach who was fortunate enough to live off of the house that Tuna built.

He is an all out bullshittin' nobody worthy of nothing. Neely is right for once. The guy fucking sucks ass.

Here's something: how about hiring someone who, as a coach, might be something of an innovator? Sure, those are few and far between. Coaches who revolutionize things on the field, like Walsh with offense or Buddy Ryan with defense are the gold standards. Even a coach who subscribes to an existing system, but is nails with X's and O's?

Herm???

How about one of the other pillars of coaching: Motivation? Some say that that is overrated: I call bullshit on that. Jimmy Johnson, Parcells, Vermeil are all coaches with rings who aren't lauded for strategy as much as creating that locker room vibe, call it team chemistry, whatever.

Herm?

Fukk, I could go on and on. This just sucks.
Holy cats, Vel... Mix in a take already, willya?!

I mean, it's clear that you're on the fence with this hire, but... piss!

So which is it? Is Sperm really a "bullshittin' nobody worthy of nothin", or does he just "fucking suck ass"?! Waffle much?

Couple more noodle-wristed posts like this one, and we'll add the word "Raydah" to your moniker...

----------

Outstanding work, Toos! Rack!
Journalism Scholar Emeritus Screw_Marcus wrote:Oh OK, so what's legal and what's not determines if something is right or not?
Aaron in Tucson
Elwood

Disclaimer: I don't hate black people. I hate everybody. In a fun loving kinda way.
The in-game clock management so dreadful the Jets actually had to hire a coach to do it for him. ~ KC Sports Writer

What, now black coaches are supposed to think?

I hear Hermaphrodity has hired Flavor Flav to help him manage the clock.

Yea Boy

On the sidelines 4th and inches, goal to go...

HermAFROdite:"Yo Flav, is it time to bust a rhyme? Is it time to suck a lime?"

Flavor Flav: "Nah, B! It's FUCKED UP MALT LIQUOR TIME!"
Aaron in Tucson
Elwood

Black coach being handed the keys to the Cadillac? How fucking stereotypical.

Nick Nolte (Carl Peterson) and Eddie Murphy (Herm Edwards)

How does that go again? White trash redneck guy who owns
shitty Cadillac rides around with black Gumby who in the
end walks away from the game with no hardware and a lot of money.

I could watch that movie all fucking day!
Aaron in Tucson
Elwood

The Trifecta, Bitches!

Good call on the similarities of Marty and Herm.

Seriously, props to KC for bringing in a classy defensive guy to coach the team.
Herm’s character is A+ but his coaching is C- at best.

Nice guys finish last anyone?

One NON SIMILARITY between Marty and Herm is that Herm is 3-3 lifetime as head coach against my Raiders.

Breaking the chains!
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Jeez.....raider fan AND cheffan....the two most miserable fans on the planet. Have a great day fellas.

kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Aaron in Tucson wrote:One NON SIMILARITY between Marty and Herm is that Herm is 3-3 lifetime as head coach against my Raiders.
Yea, but that was just a Jets thing.

Now that he is here, he can carry on with the 1.000 winning pecentage Vermiel had over the last three years, or at worst, the .750 winning percentage the last 3 Chiefs coaches combined have had over Alice and his lackeys for the last 15 years.

Speaking of coaches, hows that coaching search going for your duhs?

No respected coach, or the ones that have lost all respect, want that job. You should lob a call down to Palo Verde High School, and tell football coach Todd Mayfield to apply for the job. Im sure he'd probably pass if offered, but y'all need to find a coach somewhere.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
War Wagon wrote:I wanted Saunders, instead he'll prolly wind up with the Raiders and come back to haunt us. :x
RaydahFan can only DREAM of that happening.

King Carl not even considering promoting Saunders is the ultimate slap in the face. Wouldn't be fitting if and when Saunders shows up on the Raider sidelines picking apart the same team whos offense he once built? 8)
Al Davis=Fidel Castro