Compare and Contrast - Under-rated bands.

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Compare and Contrast - Under-rated bands.

Post by Tom In VA »

List under-rated bands and why you believe they should have been bigger hits so they could have made it on your over-rated list.

1. Screaming Trees. I think they were under-rated because they had two big fat fuckers in the band. But they're music was great and I'd say better than the over-rated Seattle Bands, like Pearl Jam.

I love their version of "Love or Confusion". If you can find it, it's a great one. I found it on a Sub Pop compilation. Sub Pop 2000 or 200 I forget.

2. The Almighty Senators

Back when the metal/funk sound was being thrown around and the Red Hot Chili Peppers were being over-hyped I saw this band in B'More. They rocked. It was dirty, it was raw, and it was awesome. They never made the scene much. Under-rated.

3. Danny Gatton

Amongst guitar playing people he was highly respected I believe. Commercial success eluded him. He killed himself. I saw him live at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA and he kicked ass.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
lovebuzz
Still thinking about a new title

Post by lovebuzz »

1. Screaming Trees.
much rackage. have most of their stuff, particularly like to crank 'sweet oblivion' way loud - good stuff.

under rated is a matter opinion, of course.

beth orton comes to mind, though she might not be in the UK.
they're no longer together, but i think that Luscious Jackson was way under rated.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The Crazy 8's.

Good luck finding it. Anti-government lyrics didn't go over too well in the Reagan years.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Dinsdale wrote:The Crazy 8's.

Good luck finding it. Anti-government lyrics didn't go over too well in the Reagan years.
:? The era that produced the like of Jello Biafra ? I'm intrigued now.

They must have been really bad.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
lovebuzz

Post by lovebuzz »

whats JB doing these days ?

the last time i saw him, spoken word gay thing, sold out audience comprised of surprisingly in-the-know peeps.

that was the day cobain blew his brain to bits.

of course JB opened his gig with some 13 minute schpeel about that whole thing, some troll (prolly one of you guys) decided to yell suicide one liners out, and get into some verbal smack match with JB.

needless to say, shit didn't fare well for the troll.

JB ejected him after ripping him a very large new asshole.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

The New York Rock Ensemble

This was a band in the late 60's early 70's that played some good tight straight up rock 'n roll, with some classical and jazz influences. The band was fronted by Michael Kamen, a Julliard student at the time, who went on to become one of the most "in-demand" composer/arranger/directors for Hollywood and other rock 'n roll acts in the 80's and 90's.

I think he died last year.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Tom In VA wrote:The era that produced the like of Jello Biafra ? I'm intrigued now.
They were subtle.

Let's face it, the likes of Black Flag and DK's whole appeal was the shock value, aimed at a very specific demographic. Pretty much riding the Pistol's gravytrain, imo. The 8's were real musicians, ska'ing it up with the best of them.

Plus, they somehow got talked, during an apparently very drunken few months, into appearing on Star Search. I think they lost in the finals to an Elvis impersonator, or some shit. Professional freaking suicide, for all intents and purposes. At least us Northwesterners got to enjoy them(they headlined at least one Bumbershoot), and in fact are back together, doing 20 year reunion shows(FUCK I'M GETTING OLD!!!). They now do what they call "stage falling.....cause if you're over 40, you don't 'dive' anymore." The band that used to talk all of the drunks into taking their cloths off in the club now bring their kids on stage to jam with them.......I guess we're all getting older, eh?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

!zzubevol wrote:whats JB doing these days ?
If my memory is working properly, he very recently did one of his spoken-word shows here. I was really chomping at the bit to miss that one.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Lars Frederickson and the Bastards-Viking is one of the best punk rock albums to hit in years, and thier first effort was great as well. Out of the hundreds of concerts I have been to over the years, they play one of the best ones. Both of the shows I went to made them a top 3 alltime live band to see.

Distillers-Brody's singing is incredible.....you can feel her pain, anger, anguish, and sexual energy in every fucking song. How bands like Evanvesence get platinum records and bands like this toil in relative obscurity is fucking upsurd and beyond me. Another great live act whose records make you want to bang your fucking head throughout every track.
Lizard King
Watch that "boy" shit, redneck.

Re: Compare and Contrast - Under-rated bands.

Post by Lizard King »

Tom In VA wrote:List under-rated bands and why you believe they should have been bigger hits so they could have made it on your over-rated list.

1. Screaming Trees. I think they were under-rated because they had two big fat fuckers in the band. But they're music was great and I'd say better than the over-rated Seattle Bands, like Pearl Jam.

I love their version of "Love or Confusion". If you can find it, it's a great one. I found it on a Sub Pop compilation. Sub Pop 2000 or 200 I forget.

I clicked this thread to list ST myself. Fantastic and underrated band. Dust is one of my all-time favorite CDs and is still in heavy rotation in my car.
It has served us well, this myth of Christ.

--Pope Leo X
PrimeX
Koko B1

Post by PrimeX »

!zzubevol wrote:
beth orton comes to mind

rack, rack, rack!!!

Stop making me do that....bitch.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

I'll go with Ween. I hate how they always gets dismissed as a joke band by mainstream media. The lyrics are offbeat, but these guys are legitimately talented musicians. Then again, the Beatles would probably suffer the same fate nowadays.
"Keys, woman!"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

screaming trees: gawddamwned.

if you can lay your hand on a copy of the purple vinyl Buzz Factory on SST.

that Love or Confusion cover was on a Sub-Pop compilation.

it was good.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

1. Depeche Mode
They NEVER get props for all the work they've done in the past 25 years. They are one of the most influencial bands of the early 80s and yet nobody can ever make a point to say that. I can't tell you how many of "today's" bands say that DM is one of their favorite bands and had much influence on them. Stations like VH1 and MTV LOVE to use DM's music in all their shows, but do they every actually talk about them. Hell no.

2. Recoil
One of the guys from Depeche Mode left the group to do solo music. Recoil is extremely different from anything else out there now. So much so that his record company had no idea how to market his albums. You can hear the DM influence in the music, but much of the "lyrics" are spoken word (poetry). Recoil and Ozric Tentacles are THE MOST unique bands out there.

3. Ozric Tentacles
Again, one of the most original bands out there today. One of the major reasons they are under rated is because almost all of their music is instrumental. There's an Acura commercial on tv that I could swear is Ozric, but I've never heard it on an album (maybe a new one?).

4. Reverend Horton Heat
The best rockabilly music. He puts on a fantastic show and his bass player...whoa!!! Jimbo plays a stand-up bass and during their shows, will stand on top of the bass and keep playing!! Not to mention the Reverend's sweet-as-hell 50's suits with the flames on them!
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

King Crimson wrote:screaming trees: gawddamwned.

if you can lay your hand on a copy of the purple vinyl Buzz Factory on SST.

that Love or Confusion cover was on a Sub-Pop compilation.

it was good.
Copy at my alma mater college station was blackk. Friend of mine got me into Screaming Trees in high school after buying Sweet Oblivion because he was intrigued by the cover. I became a big fan after that and bought the older stuff. Still like the older stuff better. Wanna live in the forest baby.

Loved seeing Von Connor roll around on the stage while playing. Screaming Trees toured in '93 with Tad and Mudhoney and I was down.
why is my neighborhood on fire
lovebuzz

Post by lovebuzz »

Not as nuts as tad doyle climbing scaffolding and towers that probably weren't constructed to hold his 287 pound ass, on that same tour. Loved it anyway... i heard that tour moved in a 78 Ford Econoline Van - you think ?

don't know that anybody (other than dorks like me) is interested in the old subpop comps, but i have a zillion of them. one of the perks of living with someone who had the loverly job of mailing those fucking things out every month... i have multiples of lots of stuff, some colored vinyl (which i am a sucker for, s'like candy for a kid or something) and all of it still intact, in plastic, never played etc. if you're looking for something specific, i can maybe help. besides, for all the cool ass (free!) music peeps from these boreds have sent me, i owe somebody something. few times over...

PrimeX - i hate you so much that i almost love you. you bitch. i shoulda known you got down with BO. i don't like all that much newer than Central Reservation, joo got any reccomends ?

KatMode - been down with the Mode since i was literally a kid, 82 or so. Think I was 12, have alllll the old shit from lame cassettes, to loads of interesting import vinyl and of course now on cd.

first time i saw them live was in 1988 (the parental units couldn't deal with the bondage gear and homoerotic tendencies, so i had to be a senior before they'd let me out of the friggen house to catch those guys) then in '90 maybe '89 - Martin Gore was touring small dives playing his solo shit (counterfeit ep is incredibly gay, love it).

Stuck with them through all these years and I have to disagree. Under rated by whom ? The masses ? Well, yeah. Duh. They have a huge (and crazy devoted) fan base. I've seen them live a total of 6 times now, always sold out. Front row in 93 too, while i was ready to burst, pregnant. i went into labor later that night, and am sure it was because of Dave Gahan scaring the fuck out of my unborn !

anyway, I don't think they are under rated at all. Recoil, that would be the Fletcher dude, right ? Alan or Andy ? They're recording in a house about a mile and a half from my gf's house, on the big island (Hawaii) and she says the same thing, the music is crazy weird, but good.

i think it depends on where you live/shop and what kinda social places you frequent, or something. i mean, i don't think there are that many people checking out anything other than radio fed crap in most cities/villages/housing projects.

I've been back in detroilet since this past july. spent the better part of the year before that in the 314 - and for as much shit as detroit gets all the way around, fucking eh. people here have a damn clue about music, i'll say. i felt like i was drowning in mediocore pop crap in the 314. that and the worst rap i have ever heard (chingy?!?) without asking around here, i can't imagine i would have even found a remotely decent NON CORPROPORATE record store there, dayyymn !

i think the term underrated is probably open to interpretation. are we talking about critical acclaim ? the critics don't count, specially the ones writing for corporate bullshit rock magazines.

ps: i think ween has some killer stuff, older = better with them. i think they receive some acclaim, even by asswipe critics. they are another band that have a fairly large and very devoted fan base (reminds me of BNL fan base, as kooky anyway) maybe thats why more peeps don't check them out. they got the stupidest, most immature, gayest brain dead fans anywhere. well, besides slipknot... the first tiem i saw ween live, fucking eh. the fans were worse than my family reunion.
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

!zzubevol wrote: KatMode - been down with the Mode since i was literally a kid, 82 or so. Think I was 12, have alllll the old shit from lame cassettes, to loads of interesting import vinyl and of course now on cd.
Dude, me too! My brother got Catching Up With or People Are People from a friend in California when I was like 12 or so. DM has been my favorite band since then.
!zzubevol wrote: first time i saw them live was in 1988 (the parental units couldn't deal with the bondage gear and homoerotic tendencies, so i had to be a senior before they'd let me out of the friggen house to catch those guys) then in '90 maybe '89 - Martin Gore was touring small dives playing his solo shit (counterfeit ep is incredibly gay, love it).

Stuck with them through all these years and I have to disagree. Under rated by whom ? The masses ? Well, yeah. Duh. They have a huge (and crazy devoted) fan base. I've seen them live a total of 6 times now, always sold out. Front row in 93 too, while i was ready to burst, pregnant. i went into labor later that night, and am sure it was because of Dave Gahan scaring the fuck out of my unborn !
LOL no kidding. Dave was looking pretty pathetic during the SOFAD tour. I didn't see the Mode live until '93 (too young and they never have/never will play in Oklahoma, so it's off to Dallas we go!). Absolutely fucking fantastic concert. They even played Death's Door, which is not an album song. Except for the fucking drunk asshole behind me that couldn't control his alcohol intact and barfed all over my back, the concert was kick ass! I was ready to beat the shit out of that guy, but thankfully he left right after that incident.

I've seen them 5 times - once we were on the third row for the Exciter tour. We held up a sign and got noticed by all three band members. It rocked. I'm one of those crazy obsessed fan, and even have the rose tattoo to prove it. :wink: I've got countless bootlegs, singles, and remixes, and I'm sure my family is very tired of hearing me talk about them.

I probably does matter where you're at. Here in Oklahoma, about half the people I say Depeche Mode to respond back with What?? They have no idea who they are. Even after I mention the usual hits (Enjoy the Silence, Personal Jesus, People are People), they STILL have no idea.
!zzubevol wrote:anyway, I don't think they are under rated at all. Recoil, that would be the Fletcher dude, right ? Alan or Andy ? They're recording in a house about a mile and a half from my gf's house, on the big island (Hawaii) and she says the same thing, the music is crazy weird, but good.
Alan Wilder is the one who does Recoil. He was the melodic backbone of DM and you can really tell he's not on the later albums. Damn, I miss him!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

For standing up to the test of time, Ministry doesn't get much love. Same goes for TMBG, to an extent.

As far as touring jam-bands go, the North Mississippi All Stars should get more run than they do, but they're so much better live than on CD, I guess it's understandable.

I'll think of more, eventually.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

DM-good pick on them[zyc]I interviewed Alan Wilder for a newspaper article during SOFAD[/zyc]

The Charlatans UK-should have gotten more attention than Oasis/New Order/Happy Mondays/Stone Roses.

Brody Dalle is very charsimatic on stage,a bit like Joan Jett in her heyday.

and how about some love for My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult?
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Have any of you guys heard of Floor? They put out a self-titled CD a couple years ago that is amazing. Sort of like a sludgier, down-tuned version of Failure or Hum. Just a really unique sound. Super heavy and slow riffs with melodic vox. I don't know if they'd ever be radio superstars, but these guys should at least have a cult following.
"Keys, woman!"
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Tom In VA wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:The Crazy 8's.
I'm intrigued now.
Best I could do -- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clips ... 49-6153606

It won't link the actually sample, but try #3 Johnny Q , and #7 Don't You Really Wanna Know. You don't hear the little swipes, but the jams are good.

Suprisingly enough, Stiil Crazy After All These Beers is still available on Amazon. EXCELLENT album.
lovebuzz

Post by lovebuzz »

KatMode wrote:
!zzubevol wrote: KatMode - been down with the Mode since i was literally a kid, 82 or so. Think I was 12, have alllll the old shit from lame cassettes, to loads of interesting import vinyl and of course now on cd.
Dude, me too! My brother got Catching Up With or People Are People from a friend in California when I was like 12 or so. DM has been my favorite band since then.

not my favorite anymore, but i'm still loyal. but all the solo shit out of guilt, or something. hate dave gahan's dirty sticky paper whatever. ack.
!zzubevol wrote: first time i saw them live was in 1988 (the parental units couldn't deal with the bondage gear and homoerotic tendencies, so i had to be a senior before they'd let me out of the friggen house to catch those guys) then in '90 maybe '89 - Martin Gore was touring small dives playing his solo shit (counterfeit ep is incredibly gay, love it).

LOL no kidding. Dave was looking pretty pathetic during the SOFAD tour. I didn't see the Mode live until '93 (too young and they never have/never will play in Oklahoma, so it's off to Dallas we go!). Absolutely fucking fantastic concert. They even played Death's Door, which is not an album song. Except for the fucking drunk asshole behind me that couldn't control his alcohol intact and barfed all over my back, the concert was kick ass! I was ready to beat the shit out of that guy, but thankfully he left right after that incident.

they love the deep south. i can't imagine seeing them down there, with a bunch of 'necks ?!?!?!? asshole fans are always fun, never met any at a DM show. always meet them at RHCP shows... and used to meet them at all the crap punk shows like Descendents.

I've seen them 5 times - once we were on the third row for the Exciter tour. We held up a sign and got noticed by all three band members. It rocked. I'm one of those crazy obsessed fan, and even have the rose tattoo to prove it. :wink: I've got countless bootlegs, singles, and remixes, and I'm sure my family is very tired of hearing me talk about them.

whoa. i don't think i've ever been that much of a ModeMate. Bode you ! i have been that way about others (frusciante) but then i met him and swallowed it. better experience that way, not acting like a crazed fan.

my family don't have a clue what i even listen to, and i likes it that way. don't have any ink either, have been contemplating it for a few years, but can't really commit.

i have some bootlegs and copies of remixes that my annoying little brother passed on... my favorite of all the weird stuff is definitely m gore's solo shit. he's a freak.

I probably does matter where you're at. Here in Oklahoma, about half the people I say Depeche Mode to respond back with What?? They have no idea who they are. Even after I mention the usual hits (Enjoy the Silence, Personal Jesus, People are People), they STILL have no idea.

i have two tone hair, couple of piercings and a non - white bf. i like to take road trips down south. i gues smy point is i feel you, it's like a freaking twilight zone - every little truck stop/diner/gas station that ya pass... holy shit, they stare. until you stare back *grin*
!zzubevol wrote:anyway, I don't think they are under rated at all. Recoil, that would be the Fletcher dude, right ? Alan or Andy ? They're recording in a house about a mile and a half from my gf's house, on the big island (Hawaii) and she says the same thing, the music is crazy weird, but good.
Alan Wilder is the one who does Recoil. He was the melodic backbone of DM and you can really tell he's not on the later albums. Damn, I miss him!
they're back in the studio though, no ?
ps: i'm completely inebriated. if this doesn't make sense, ignore it. oh. and i listened to the blue disc (2) of singles 86-98. whatever it is. the grabbing hands grab all they can, everything counts in large amounts. (and in your room. i love that one.)
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

scritti wrote:and how about some love for My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult?
WAR "Sex On Wheelz"! 8)

Add to the list:
Cracker. David Lowery's post Camper Van Beethoven project
(taken in perspective, before CVB re-formed recently).
Did the alt-folk bit before Beck came along.
"Euro-Trash Girl" is probably one of the best "hidden tracks" ever.
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

track number 69 or 99?

If you like the indie rock, and you know nothing about the Wedding Present, do yourself a favor and download the Seamonsters album. I can't hype the Wedding Present enough, people.

If you think in any way that I have some taste in music, get that fucking album.
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

Bacefelice wrote:track number 69 or 99?
That would be #69. 8)
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
lovebuzz

Post by lovebuzz »

two words.

Shuggie Otis.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

i bought that lame album because you kept pimping it.

it was not that good.

shut up whore.
help me scrape the mucus off my brain
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

scritti wrote: The Charlatans UK-should have gotten more attention than Oasis/New Order/Happy Mondays/Stone Roses.
ill rack that with the addendum that ride was bertyter than alls of themsx
lovebuzz

Post by lovebuzz »

what the fuck are you talking about ?

oh wait, even you don't know so that was a stupid question.

2. fuck off, still.

3. and NO, i don't believe you bought it at all, too drunk and stupid to know where to find it, i imagine. other than that, bitch breath - if you did, it would have been because bbqfelice also said positive things about the dude. whatever, stick with ween, i don't imagine you can comprehend much more.

so log off, back the fuck up and find someone else to pile your drive your insignificant cock into. it ain't happening here.

ya fucking tool.
bbqjones
indian black betty

Post by bbqjones »

!zzubevol wrote:what the fuck are you talking about ?

oh snap
2. fuck off, still.
im not falling for that fuck off, still in the tailpipe buzzer. try again
3. and NO, i don't believe you bought it at all, too drunk and stupid to know where to find it, i imagine. other than that, bitch breath - if you did, it would have been because bbqfelice also said positive things about the dude.
nah, i got tired of seeing that avater you were sporting awhile back, im spmarter thans you think baby girl.
whatever, stick with ween, i don't imagine you can comprehend much more.
youre probably right. now on your knees whore
so log off, back the fuck up and find someone else to pile your drive your insignificant cock into. it ain't happening here.
wowee zowee. even i dont understasnd that one.

ya fucking tool.
genius, you must be proud of your time at that one board that you spent all day typing this out. wasnt shutyomouth the king of that board for some time as well>?

woohoo
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

bbqjones wrote:
scritti wrote: The Charlatans UK-should have gotten more attention than Oasis/New Order/Happy Mondays/Stone Roses.
ill rack that with the addendum that ride was bertyter than alls of themsx
last night the wife dug up an old video tape with videos by ride, primal scream and my bloody valentine.

I don't do drugs anymore so it didn't have the same effect.
lovebuzz

Post by lovebuzz »

bbqjones wrote:
!zzubevol wrote:what the fuck are you talking about ?

oh snap
2. fuck off, still.
im not falling for that fuck off, still in the tailpipe buzzer. try again
3. and NO, i don't believe you bought it at all, too drunk and stupid to know where to find it, i imagine. other than that, bitch breath - if you did, it would have been because bbqfelice also said positive things about the dude.
nah, i got tired of seeing that avater you were sporting awhile back, im spmarter thans you think baby girl.
whatever, stick with ween, i don't imagine you can comprehend much more.
youre probably right. now on your knees whore
wowee zowee. even i dont understasnd that one.

ya fucking tool.
genius, you must be proud of your time at that one board that you spent all day typing this out. wasnt shutyomouth the king of that board for some time as well>?

woohoo
i have no idea what you are talking about and obviously neither do you, 'bout avatars, shuggie, shutyomouth and your failure to remember that i type like a motherfucker...

so i'll just say this,

1. fuck you for being so goddamned stupid as to actually purchase a cd that someone you claim to not even like, reccomended. way to go, sporto. FUCKEN RACK YOU.

and for the record, i'm pretty remarkable on my knees and otherwise.

i think i need another drink now. drunk is about the only way i can tolerate your shit.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

bbqjones wrote:i bought that lame album because you kept pimping it.

it was not that good.

shut up whore.
Shuggie Otis is more my speed. Loves me some of that 70's jazz. I only heard that stuff the second time around with the rerelease, but I'm very down. Like that Labi Siffre smoothed out funk. Big fan, Jerry.

Less funky than just crazy stff for Pittsburgh public television:

more sucking on stones throw's dick. this is a comp of late 70's Connecticut hip-hop. Its pretty goddamned cool.

KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Judas Priest.

Highly under rated despite delivering some sorching guitar work.

Yea, Rob Halford was queer as a 3 dollar bill, but these guys put out a very unique sound for the late 70's / early 80's metal movement.

The British Steel album still has the razor sharpness 25 years later.

There I was completely wasting, out of work and down
All inside it’s so frustrating as I drift from town to town
Feel as though nobody cares if I live or die
So I might as well begin to put some action in my life

Breaking the law, breaking the law

So much for the golden future, I can’t even start
I’ve had every promise broken, there’s anger in my heart
You don’t know what it’s like, you don’t have a clue
If you did you’d find yourselves doing the same thing too

You don’t know what it’s like

Breaking the law
Donovan
Big In Japan

Post by Donovan »

Destrofelice wrote:track number 69 or 99?

If you like the indie rock, and you know nothing about the Wedding Present, do yourself a favor and download the Seamonsters album. I can't hype the Wedding Present enough, people.

If you think in any way that I have some taste in music, get that fucking album.
Rack! Although I'd recommend anyone wanting to get into them should start with George Best and work their way through their catalog.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

I am just going to continue on with The Screaming Trees. :)
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
Mike the Lab Rat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mike the Lab Rat »

Zappa.

Yeah, there's a lot of folks, especially musicians, who are aware of FZ's guitar and composition skills, but the vast majority of people still think of his funny/bizarre tunes (e.g., everything off of "Apostrophe", "Gregory Peccary," "Jewish Princess", etc.). That's largely Frank's own fault, but it's kind of a shame that his vicious wit has largely overshadowed his actual MUSICAL gifts.

Plus, it's a damned shame that he died so young (but kind of tragically appropriate that the writer of "Why Does It Hurt When I Pee" died of prostate cancer...).
THE BIBLE - Because all the works of all the science cannot equal the wisdom of cattle-sacrificing primitives who thought every animal species in the world lived within walking distance of Noah's house.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Mike the Lab Rat wrote:Zappa.

it's kind of a shame that his vicious wit has largely overshadowed his actual MUSICAL gifts.
I feel the same way about Ween. Zappa rules though. Gotta love Live at the Fillmore 1971. Mudshark baaaaaby.
"Keys, woman!"

Post by Guest »

i dug the single back when and bought Mark Lanegan's solo album "Whiskey for the Holy Ghost," and it sucked cock

boring as hell. maybe i'd like it now but I don't have it anymore

he's got a great voice
tomas8
Mr. Laid Back

Post by tomas8 »

8)
rack this thread!