There is hope

Get the Puck out of here...

Moderator: Shoalzie

Smoked Meat
You got served

There is hope

Post by Smoked Meat »

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - Eight years after the Whalers left Hartford for North Carolina, a developer wants to bring another NHL team to the Connecticut capital.

Lawrence Gottesdiener is head of Northland Investment Corp., which owns $500 million US worth of property in Hartford. He would like to put the team in a $250 million arena he hopes to build.

''We've got our own money, we're willing to invest in an arena and we're willing to buy a team,'' he said. ''It would be an important entity and symbol of the city, the region and the state.''

Gottesdiener's plan calls for a publicly subsidized, 16,000-seat venue that would be home to a major hockey team. The University of Connecticut men's and women's basketball teams also would play some games there.

The new arena would replace the Hartford Civic Center under the proposal, which was announced Wednesday amid talk of the Civic Center's future.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=148651&hubname=

I'm not sure if a 16000 seats arena would be enough though. Then again if games presented there are full house on average it will already be more than what the Sabres, the Canes and the Preds draw on average each game, and all 3 are doing quite well this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2006
NHL Gamecenter Live saved my life!!! Go Habs Go!
AcidQueen
Pit-Fighter

Post by AcidQueen »

:meds:
VIVA LA REVOLUCION!
ESRB NOTICE: Online Experience May Change During Game Play
Smoked Meat
You got served

Post by Smoked Meat »

AcidQueen wrote::meds:
Sucks to click on that ESPN link, huh? Oh wait, I know what you're going to say "but it's much better than during the Paul Maurice regime"

:meds:
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

If the guy has his own money, then why look for a publicly funded arena?
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Smoked Meat
You got served

Post by Smoked Meat »

His idea of investment is probably providing the land on which the arena will be built.
AcidQueen
Pit-Fighter

Post by AcidQueen »

Smoked Meat wrote:Oh wait, I know what you're going to say "but it's much better than during the Paul Maurice regime"
Actually, yes it is. Now if the 'Canes would get up off their asses and actually market their winning team....
VIVA LA REVOLUCION!
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

...and get rid of the cheerleaders. :lol:
AcidQueen
Pit-Fighter

Post by AcidQueen »

Cross Traffic wrote:...and get rid of the cheerleaders. :lol:
That too.
VIVA LA REVOLUCION!
BrantfordBudFan
Crack Whore

Post by BrantfordBudFan »

People can say what they want about the Canes and Preds, but last night in Jersey there were 11,971 for a New Years Eve game between the Leafs and the Devils.And I bet about 1500 were Leafs fans.Maybe I am missing something here but over the last 10 years have the Devils not won 3 cups?They may not be the team the used to be but they are not as bad as the Blues.Maybe the Ranger turned Devils fan is a Ranger fan again.So its just not just teams from the south who have attendance problems.
Smoked Meat
You got served

Post by Smoked Meat »

BrantfordBudFan wrote:Maybe the Ranger turned Devils fan is a Ranger fan again.So its just not just teams from the south who have attendance problems.
Thats right, the Devils' home is full house only when the Rangers are in town.