Your favorite Barry Sanders moment

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Your favorite Barry Sanders moment

Post by BSmack »

Mine is from the one and only time I got to see him play live. I went to the game hoping to see Barry break off a bunch of long scoring runs, make a little history and beat down a very average Bills team. This is what we got.
The Lions saw their second-half comeback fall short as they lost to the Bills, 22-13, in Buffalo on Octoer 5, 1997 at Rich Stadium.

The Lions fought back from a 13-3 halftime deficit to tie the score at 13-13 with 5:54 left in the fourth quarter.

The game turned, however, with just over two minutes left to play in regulation when Bills' defensive linemen Phil Hansen and Bruce Smith tackled Barry Sanders in the endzone for a safety to break the 13-13 tie.

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_di ... nt_id=4494
Oh that Barry Sanders. He was a human highlight reel for both sides.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dumbass
Elwood

Post by Dumbass »

Mine was when he faked left, went right, reversed field and then ran really fast towards the endzone and scored.
Striving to be a victim of Polly's plagiarizing ways.
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

Dancin', dancin' little feet
Start and stop to a different beat.
Here he comes, there he goes
Running past on tippy-toes.
He is a wisp, he is the wind
He is a coach's very best friend.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

RACK.

My personal favorite is the time he never threw a block to protect the quarterback, or when he was unispired on passing plays....

Then theres that time he ran east to west for 15 minutes and ended up with..........-1 fucking yards.

Fuck him-without the ball, he was a useless sack a shit that never threw a hard block his entire career....but the most telling stat is simply this:

Most. Negative. Yards. From Scrimmage. Ever.

Fucking overrated quitter.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Barry was the Dominque Wilkins of the NFL. He was fun to watch run,but did little else to help you win.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Frank Football
I'm Frank About Football

Post by Frank Football »

My favorite moment was when he retired, but did go to Lions-Chiefs game in 1990 at Arrowhead where both he and Barry Word ran for over 200 yards - only time two backs have done that in the same game in NFL history.

Oh, yeah. The Chiefs won about 45-24 or something. :lol:
moon
Elwood

Post by moon »

My favorite was all the runs he made to ensure himself of being at the least the second best back of alltime, I will give Jim Brown his credit.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

There's too many great runs to pick just one. To me, Barry was like the home run hitter that struck out a lot. You'd forgive him for swinging in missing because he'd deliver on a big play later on. He wasn't a big game player like Emmitt Smith was...that's the one thing I'll give to Emmitt. Barry was one of those guys that made you anticipate every touch of the ball because he was capable of something exciting. For how bad the Lions have been, he was a priviledge to watch. Say what you want about his retirement but everything else he did, he did it the right way. Barry is one of the few guys in sports that I can't say a bad thing about them.
See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

My favorite was when the Lions played the Packers in the 1994 playoffs and Barry ended the game with -1 yards.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

All-time RBs

1 Payton
2 Brown
3 Sanders
4 Simpson
5 Smith
Cosmo Kramer
Troublemaker
Location: Smack dab in the middle of a fucking immigration free-for-all

Post by Cosmo Kramer »

Playoff game @ Lambeau

Fewest Yards Allowed Rushing
*-4, vs. Detroit, Dec. 31, 1994

NICE!
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

The time he had something like 13 carries for 15 total yards.

Sincerely,

All too often
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Barry was hardly the part of the problem. He WAS the Lions, and the Lions WERE barry. Comparing Barry's success to Emmitt's is just absurd. The talent that surrounded Emmitt during those days was like an assembled all-time hall of fame squad compared to those awful, awful Lions teams.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Barry was hardly the part of the problem. He WAS the Lions, and the Lions WERE barry. Comparing Barry's success to Emmitt's is just absurd. The talent that surrounded Emmitt during those days was like an assembled all-time hall of fame squad compared to those awful, awful Lions teams.
Wrong answer. Barry was like the Dave Kingman of football. He did nothing but swing for the fences when he touched the ball and when he didn't have the ball he was fairly well useless.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

If you're stupid enough to suggest the Lions would've won more without Barry then I think we're through here.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Mv, funny how we had that conversation awhile back about Michael Vick, and you attributed his winning games to the players around him...you know, the TEAM, you talked about how all the glory can't come down on one guy. So how, in this situation, does all the blame come down on one guy? How is one guy not responsible for his team winning (Vick) yet another guy is responsible for his team losing (barry)? You're not good with this logic stuff are you? How were Barry's teammates not responsible? How was he "part of the problem" yet you make no mention of anyone else around him?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Everyone would love to be able to just run the ball north/south all day. That would conserve on energy and you decrease the chance of injury. Unfortunately, if your line doesn't give you that luxury, you have to improvise. Barry did what he could with literally ZERO help around him. I don't understand how the other 10 guys don't have anything to do with the failures Barry had as a runner, and the failures the team had all-around.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

The NFL is entertainment... Barry was one of the most entertaining backs to watch in NFL history. Everytime he touched the ball, you would wonder if he would take it to the house.

The people that say Barry was the problem... are just ignorant!

Barry was the team, because he was the only guy on the team worth a shit! His supporting cast sucked, and if Emmit was on the Lions... he would have had no where near the yards Barry had... and the Lions would have still sucked!

Rack Barry!

m2
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

You are the only idiot here claiming he WAS the team and the TEAM was him. YOU are the one who can't seem to make a logically consistent point.
That's completely irrelevant because I'm not the one who's using flip-flop arguments. You're using the very logic you applied against Vick, and turning it around to use against Barry. Don't you see that you fucking moron?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

mvscal wrote:I very clearly said he was PART of the problem, dumbfuck.

Read English much?
Yes, I can motherfucker. See below:
mvscal wrote:He wasn't part of the problem. He was the problem.
I bet you feel REALLY fucking stupid right about now.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sarcasm? How the fuck was that sarcasm? You and I both know the sarcasm card is the most pathetic bail out move you can play.

Once again...

First came this:
He wasn't part of the problem. He was the problem.
Then came this:
I very clearly said he was PART of the problem
Solid, solid stuff. I'm through with you.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

You're embarrassing yourself.

Look, you got busted. No big deal. Take your bruises with you and heal up. You'll be ok.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

m2 wrote:The NFL is entertainment... Barry was one of the most entertaining backs to watch in NFL history. Everytime he touched the ball, you would wonder if he would take it to the house.
That was great for those of us forced to watch the Lions on Thanksgiving. it was not so great for the Lions overall.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Barry did what he could with literally ZERO help around him.
If by "did what he could," you mean that he bitched and whined and threatened to not play or resign with the Lions unless he was guaranteed to be in only single-back sets because he was too self-centered to want to share the limelight with a fullback, which would have allowed him to actually run north-south, then yeah.

Probably the most entertaining RB to watch that I've seen(with the possible exception of Bo), but don't even try to compare his overall skill at RB to that of Sweetness or Marshall Faulk(most underrated RB of all-time).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

but don't even try to compare his overall skill at RB to that of Sweetness or Marshall Faulk(most underrated RB of all-time).
I didn't mention any of those names, nor did I compare him to anyone.

Of course, if you're referring to someone else, then carry on...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I don't believe former and current NFL players are being charitable when they speak of Barry as one of the best they've ever went up against. I think player testimonials speak volumes, when it comes to rating a certain guy, because they really do have more credibility than anyone else. Barry seems to have always been highly, highly regarded by his peers and opponents as being one of the better RBs during that era. I'm not sure why I should take your guys' word over theirs.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The older a man gets, the faster he ran as a boy.
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Post by Mississippi Neck »

My favorite Barry Sanders moment was when Emmitt Smith passed him on the rushing yardage list.
maverick. maverick. maverick. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Barry's numbers speak for themselves. No way Emmit was better. How many more carries did it take for Emmit to pass Barry? Sanders was a great instinctual runner, probably in the top 2. Emmit was the benefactor of a HOF o-line. Then his geezer ass hung on to break a record way past his prime.

Only Jim Brown can be compared to Sanders.

http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/sanders/stats.html
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

WolverineSteve wrote:Barry's numbers speak for themselves. No way Emmit was better. How many more carries did it take for Emmit to pass Barry? Sanders was a great instinctual runner, probably in the top 2. Emmit was the benefactor of a HOF o-line. Then his geezer ass hung on to break a record way past his prime.

Only Jim Brown can be compared to Sanders.

http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/sanders/stats.html
Yes, they do speak for themselves. Of course nobody is disputing that Barry Sanders was a great runner. Barry's problem was that he couldn't function outside the one back set, he couldn't block and he was too prone to be taken down for a loss.

Like I said. Barry was a human highlight reel for both sides.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Mississippi Neck wrote:My favorite Barry Sanders moment was when Emmitt Smith passed him on the rushing yardage list.
Seriously Neck, I could have run for a thou a season behind Emmitt's offensive line......
get out, get out while there's still time
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

BSmack wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Barry was hardly the part of the problem. He WAS the Lions, and the Lions WERE barry. Comparing Barry's success to Emmitt's is just absurd. The talent that surrounded Emmitt during those days was like an assembled all-time hall of fame squad compared to those awful, awful Lions teams.
Wrong answer. Barry was like the Dave Kingman of football. He did nothing but swing for the fences when he touched the ball and when he didn't have the ball he was fairly well useless.

That's exactly the way I compared him. He'd give you either negative carries or he'd drop a run for over 25 yards...just like a home run hitter that strikes out a lot. No one can argue Barry was probably the best player to watch in the highlight reels...I liked the comparison to Dominique Wilkins. He never was about stats and rushing titles...the guy loved to play and respected the game. He never brought attention to himself...that's always going to be his legacy. He was very humble and didn't crave the attention like today's stars do.

As for the offensive line argument between Dallas and Detroit. The Cowboys' line was awesome but the Lions' line during the early 90s wasn't all that bad. Kevin Glover and Lomas Brown were Pro Bowlers and Andolsek (sp) and Utley's careers were cut short due to tragedy...both could've been quality lineman for a long time. For how bad the line is now for the Lions, Barry would be able to put up at least 1250 yards because he was that good. The Lions wouldn't be a better team but Barry would get his numbers in spite of them. That was kind of the way things went for most of his career.
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Post by Mississippi Neck »

Felix wrote:
Mississippi Neck wrote:My favorite Barry Sanders moment was when Emmitt Smith passed him on the rushing yardage list.
Seriously Neck, I could have run for a thou a season behind Emmitt's offensive line......
Having not seen you play..I would say no you could not...seriously.

I won't make this a Emmitt vs Barry thread...been down that road already,maybe even a few times :)

Emmitt could block, catch a pass, score TD's in the red zone, play hurt...and run a bit too. Plus he had that intangible leadership quality that Sanders never had.

You'd take Sanders..I'd take Emmitt..no biggie. I like butterscotch..you? :D
maverick. maverick. maverick. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush.
Uncle Fester
The Man broke me chain

Post by Uncle Fester »

Most of you whippernappers are too young to remember Gayle Sayers, but he was the best I ever saw.

Like other Pack fans, my fave "Barry moment" was this one:
3. PACKERS 16, LIONS 12 DEC. 31, 1994
In a memorable wildcard playoff game before another sell out Lambeau crowd, the Packer defense led by Reggie, held the great Barry Sanders to minus-1 yard on 13 carries and the Lions to minus-4 yards rushing total, breaking a 31-year-old playoff record.

White's remarks: "I think if any team wants to know how to stop Barry Sanders, even ourselves, they should watch that game. What we did, we pushed their linemen in the backfield and didn't give Barry a chance to get going. Once he gets a chance to get going, he's going to kill you. That's what we were able to do to stop him in that game."
http://olympia.fortunecity.com/white/225/1regtop5.htm
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Mississippi Neck wrote:
You'd take Sanders..I'd take Emmitt..no biggie. I like butterscotch..you? :D
Given the choice of any back that's played I'd take a healthy Bo Jackson over anybody.....

but between Emmitt and Sanders, I'd take Emmitt

You've never seen me say Sanders was the best that ever played.....I just have a lot of respect for the guy.....

I like peppermint.....
get out, get out while there's still time
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Felix wrote: Given the choice of any back that's played I'd take a healthy Bo Jackson over anybody.....
Far and away.
Tiny
Is it football season yet?

Post by Tiny »

Did any of you ever see Walter play? The vision that he had, as he was breaking through the line of scrimmage was un-fucking-believe-able.

You can have Barry, Emmitt, and BO; (And I'd rate them in just that order too....), but the sweetness was just that; sweet poetry in motion.
Winston Wolf:
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the fucking car!