Steve Spurrier

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Danimal
Eternal Scobode

Steve Spurrier

Post by Danimal »

Funny how he has managed to turn around his program more in one year than Callahan has in two. Dude can definitely still coach his ass off. Props on a big win today Steve, college football missed you.

The SEC is shaping up to be a warzone in years to come between Georgia, Auburn, Bama, Florida, LSU, South Carolina, and even Tenn battling it out.
You gonna bark all day little doggie or are you gonna bite?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: Steve Spurrier

Post by Shoalzie »

Danimal wrote:Dude can definitely still coach his ass off. Props on a big win today Steve, college football missed you.

RACK the Ball Coach...you could see this upset coming. How's Urban going to live that one down? The only thing worse would've been to lose in the Swamp to Spurrier.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Shoalzie wrote:The only thing worse would've been to lose in the Swamp to Spurrier.
Wait until next year for that.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:The only thing worse would've been to lose in the Swamp to Spurrier.
Wait until next year for that.
I wouldn't doubt it for a minute...it would be a pisser if he has better record over his tenure at SC than what Meyer has at Florida.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Believe the Heupel wrote:Rack Visor Sr.
I prefer Darth Visor or Smug Superior.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

You can't spell Citrus w/out USC.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Ken wrote:You can't spell Citrus w/out USC.
It's better than what Holtz ever did...
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

Not much to say here.....outcoached. Meyer was taken to school by the Ole Ball Coach. SOS did juts enough to win. It is inexcusable to have teh game end the way it did by getting a too many men on the field penalty with a minute left and them punting. That was the end of the game as they got a first down and ran out the clock. Piss poor coaching.

No spins.....SOS won a league title at Duke....dude can win anywhere.
Back-to-Back-to-Back National Champions

Florida Gators: Champions in Basketball '06, Football '06, and Basketball '07
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

When did Spurrier get so much love in here? I know I’ve always hated the dude. I always despised how he would call out his players after a loss, by name or position usually, and put all the blame on them or a big part of it. I’ve never though of him as a “classy guy”.

However, all of a sudden, Spurrier is now getting all kinds of love in here (nationally too). I just don’t get it. Once a dickhead…
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Guy is a helluva coach and should get considerable Coach of the Year pub.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

IndyFrisco wrote:When did Spurrier get so much love in here? I know I’ve always hated the dude. I always despised how he would call out his players after a loss, by name or position usually, and put all the blame on them or a big part of it. I’ve never though of him as a “classy guy”.

However, all of a sudden, Spurrier is now getting all kinds of love in here (nationally too). I just don’t get it. Once a dickhead…
Unfortunately, you are completely WRONG!!!! He always took the blame...he would say something to the effect....."I just didn't coach em up enough...." or "they were better prepared than us". He may reference certain plays and how a QB made a misread but after losses he took the blame.

He is a huge egomaniac, but ran a tidy program at UF. As a diehard Spurrier fan you have to respect the results he achieves.

It may be your perception of him being critical, but I have watched many of his call-in shows(orlistened) and he always shoulders the blame. He is ultimately in charge. Not sure what your definition of "classy" is but the guy is a genius.

There are many stories involving him doing something or scoring late but he always had his reasons......for example.......

"Spurrier has an elephantine memory, surpassing Babar and Jumbo. Steve will never forget being fired as a young Georgia Tech assistant by incoming coach Bill Curry. Years later, as Spurrier was amassing early successes after becoming UF boss in 1990, Curry was in charge at Kentucky. Gator Guy delighted in endlessly drilling Bill. He would run the score up."

Another time he scored a late TD(I forgot who) with a long pass with a minute left.......after the game when asked by a reporter Spurrier referenced his time as a Buc QB in 1976 and the Steelers piling on late in the 4th and the game way out of reach......Spurrier said it was for that, I forgot who the opposing coach was but he was involved directly with the Steelers then.

It is stuff like that why opponents hate him and his own fans love him.

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I know he's a damn good game coach. That's not what I was talking about.

Nor am I talking about a call-in show later on in the week.

I am talking about how many a time, right after the game he lost in a press conference or on-field interview, he would be overly critical ala Bob Knight and throw his kids under a bus on tv, whether national or regional. Yeah, maybe after he had time to cool down he took the blame, but the damage had already been done.

That's what I call classless. I'm not saying coddle the kids. Tear them a new one. Just do it behind closed doors. If the kid wants to go on record himself and take the blame, so be it. Don't make that decision for him.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

IndyFrisco wrote:Once a dickhead…
always a dickhead. But dammit if that dickhead cant coach.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
T REX
Eternal Scobode

Post by T REX »

IndyFrisco wrote:I know he's a damn good game coach. That's not what I was talking about.

Nor am I talking about a call-in show later on in the week.

I am talking about how many a time, right after the game he lost in a press conference or on-field interview, he would be overly critical ala Bob Knight and throw his kids under a bus on tv, whether national or regional. Yeah, maybe after he had time to cool down he took the blame, but the damage had already been done.

That's what I call classless. I'm not saying coddle the kids. Tear them a new one. Just do it behind closed doors. If the kid wants to go on record himself and take the blame, so be it. Don't make that decision for him.
Let's be honest....you have to have a thick skin to be his QB. Period. He expects results from his kids. He'll put you in a position to win, you just have to execute. If not, he'll find someone who can. And damn, he is one of the greatest gameday coaches of all-time.

I am glad he is back in coaching. I just think that taking a job in the SEC East where his goals are in direct conflict with that of his alma mater was a bad idea. Basically, for him to be successful he is going to have to beat everything he built up at UF. That is my biggest issue. He is fun to watch though.