Jazz

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Jazz

Post by RadioFan »

Let's talk about it, in this thread.

Personally, I like everything from Cole Porter to Boney James.

Jazz is really the only truly American art form, though the French try to imitate us, very well, in some cases.

I tend to favor contemporary ... but a few of my favorites:

Allen Holdsworth
Chick Corea
Al DiMeola
Jeff Lorber
Frank Sinatra
Anita Baker
Luther Vandross
John Coltrane
Charlie Parker (Bird lives!!)
Dave Brubeck
Philippe Saisse
David Benoit (not to be confused with ...)
Alex Bugnon

Many, many more ...

btw....

If you don't have this,

Get it.

Craig T. Cooper.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Didn't Jazz come from Africa ?
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

Tom In VA wrote:Didn't Jazz come from Africa ?
Some elements of it did, but not Jazz itself. It developed in this country.
Billdong
Elwood

Post by Billdong »

Blues is another form that is very much American... African roots... but then you could argue there are African roots in most music sans Classical.

My favorite Jazz Artists:

Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Branford Marselis
Chick Corea
Al De Meola
John McLaughlin
Pat Metheny
Medeski, Martin, and Wood
Thelonious Monk
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones
Oscar Meyer

And i will check out Graig T. Cooper.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

What about Jug Bands, didn't Jug Bands originate here as well ?

:lol:

You'd like:

Dark Star
Eyes of the World
Help on The Way / Slipknot / Franklin's Tower
Estimated Prophet
Bird Song
Music Never Stopped

Miles Davis dug the Dead.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

What about Celtic Music Billdong ? :lol:

Peggy O' ?
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Nice list, RF. I'm not all that familiar with Luther Vandross' work, I'm not sure that I would consider him a jazz singer.

I'm not buying as much music as I used to due to more drains on disposable income as a family patriarch, but here are a few that I have enjoyed and also have in my collection...

Weather Report
The Flecktones
Miles Davis
Herbie Hancock
Freddie Hubbard
Chick Corea
John McGloughlin
Oscar Peterson
Count Basie
Al DiMeola
Coltrane
Sinatra
Sarah Vaughn
Billie Holliday
Ella Fitzgerald
Nat King Cole
Benny Goodman
Les McCann
Eddie Harris
Flora Purim
Airto Moriera
Anita Baker
Keith Jarrett
Spyro Gyra
Larry Carlton
Stanley Clarke
George Duke
Carlos Santana
The Crusaders
McCoy Tyner
Stanley Turrentine
Grover Washington Jr.
The Crusaders
George Winston
Lee Ritenour
Pat Metheney
David Sanborn
Bobby McFerrin
Tom Scott & the LA Express
Al Jarreau

Although some would maybe not fit some peoples' strict definition of "jazz", it's all good.

I have to give a special shout out and RACK to The Crusaders (earlier The Jazz Crusaders). They were the first jazz band that I "discovered" on my own when I was probably 15 or 16 years old, and led eventually to all the rest.

My parents took me to see Louis Armstrong and Benny Goodman when I was a kid. Those made a lasting impression as well.
Last edited by Mikey on Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Tom In VA wrote:What about Jug Bands, didn't Jug Bands originate here as well ?

:lol:

You'd like:

Dark Star
Eyes of the World
Help on The Way / Slipknot / Franklin's Tower
Estimated Prophet
Bird Song
Music Never Stopped

Miles Davis dug the Dead.
RACK.

I've come to the conclusion years ago that The Dead were really a bluegrass band that took acid and plugged in. Some jazz influence crept in there along the way too.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

The Dead are about as American as it gets, drawing it's influence on all forms of American music. Bluegrass, Jazz, Blues, Country, Native American. Phil was classically trained.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

nice list,when i was in college,my first radio job was producing a jazz show. that got me into the fusion stuff from the 70s.
Guess what-I got a FEVAH...and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

scritti wrote:nice list,when i was in college,my first radio job was producing a jazz show. that got me into the fusion stuff from the 70s.
When I was in school in Norman, the public station, KGOU, used to have a nightly jazz show that ran from 7 p.m. to midnight. The format was they'd play the real early stuff in the first hour, then move into the 50s and 60s, and by 10 p.m. or so, started playing 70s fusion and contemporary tunes for the last two hours. It kicked ass and I was exposed to a lot of great music because of it.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

and Mikey gets it on one of my favorites The Crusaders.

war Street Life w/Randy Crawford
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

scritti wrote:and Mikey gets it on one of my favorites The Crusaders.

war Street Life w/Randy Crawford
I'll have to admit, I don't have that album, although I must have about 8 or 10 Crusaders albums. One is a double live recording where they play with BB King.

I do have this one on vinyl, which features Randy Crawford singing Street Life with The Yellowjackets. An excellent collection.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Here's another one of my early favorites, which I used to have on vinyl. It somehow disappeared about 20 years ago, as did many of my albums I would later discover, when one of my old roommates moved out.

The song "Compared to What" is an alltime classic.
I may have to get it again on CD.

RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

scritti wrote:and Mikey gets it on one of my favorites The Crusaders.
Ditto.

War "Healing the Wounds" with all the original members in the 1980s.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

Mikey wrote:Here's another one of my early favorites, which I used to have on vinyl. It somehow disappeared about 20 years ago, as did many of my albums I would later discover, when one of my old roommates moved out.

The song "Compared to What" is an alltime classic.
I may have to get it again on CD.

i can remember my radio station having shedloads of jazz lps from the 60s and 70s...damn.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i don't see Eric Dolphy or Ornette Coleman on this thread?

Dewey Redman (not his son Joshua (who is a fine contemporary player))...but Dewey is a soulful madman.

Radiofan: i went to NHS.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

King Crimson wrote:Radiofan: i went to NHS.
Cool, so you know the KGOU format in the late-80s ... I was at OU at the time. Went to H.S. in San Antonio when that city had three hard-rock stations in the pre-Clear Channel era, but that's another story. :wink:
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

wheree's the love---------

chuck mangione
mvscals blow monkey spunk
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

most of my knowledge of jazz comes from it being sampled on hip hop albums.

absolutely hate modern jazz
why is my neighborhood on fire
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Bacefelice wrote:most of my knowledge of jazz comes from it being sampled on hip hop albums.
nothing wrong with that. that's what those cats are trying to do...it's an improvisational music...like hip-hop. hip-hoppin'. be-boppin'

freestyle.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Dave Koz
David Sanborn
Warren Hill
David Benoit
Rippingtons
Accoustic Alchemy
Boney James
Craig Chaquico
David Lanz & Paul Speer
Marc Antoine
John Jarvis
William Ackerman
George Winston
Jim Brickman
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

I know plenty and have plenty by the greats:
dave brubeck
john coltrane
miles davis
max roach
getz/gilberto and dinner will always lead to foreplay
art blakey

Have some other shit I got from hip-hop:
weather report
Geroge Benson
Axelrod, David
Stanley Cowell
sun ra
herbie's headhunter
9th Creation
Grant Green
why is my neighborhood on fire
lovebuzz
Still thinking about a new title

Post by lovebuzz »

absolutely hate modern jazz
modern jazz is not jazz.

dave koz is not jazz.
dave koz sucks.
modern jazz sucks.

fucking smooth jazz stations that are playing shite elevator music in every metropolitan city should all die. now, please.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Jazz I enjoy:

Naked City (I think I'd like other Zorn)
Lounge Lizards
Gone (Greg Ginn...I always thought Gone was more jazz than anything else)
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

PSU: if you like Zorn check out Dewey Redman Ear of the Behearer. or Peter Brotzmann.

it's not the same--Zorn has that "i've seen it" madness cache and these guys working with the unexpressable at the time.

(how's that for prententious former record store guy talk?) ;)

I also don't see Charlie Mingus on this thread.

best live show i ever saw was the McCoy Trio in Denver in 92--he's does a lot of earth ochestra type stuff lately which is not that great. but, this show was stripped down straight out ahead. could have been outtakes from Giant Steps. second song he plays Mr. PC and plays Coltrane's solo from teh record note for note on the keys. it was fucking great.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

!zzubevol wrote:fucking smooth jazz stations that are playing shite elevator music in every metropolitan city should all die. now, please.
Some of it is, but every once in a while, there's a gem among the elevator standards. I think Tulsa and Oklahoma City are the only major metros in the U.S. without a single Jazz station between them. :x

Thank God for the Internet and satellite radio.
Van wrote:It's like rimming an unbathed fat chick from Missouri. It's highly distinctive, miserably unforgettable and completely wrong.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

RadioFan wrote:
!zzubevol wrote:fucking smooth jazz stations that are playing shite elevator music in every metropolitan city should all die. now, please.
Some of it is, but every once in a while, there's a gem among the elevator standards. I think Tulsa and Oklahoma City are the only major metros in the U.S. without a single Jazz station between them. :x

Thank God for the Internet and satellite radio.
don't sweat it too much, in Denver the jazz station used to be great but it's morphed into crap. a lot of "jazz" covers Police songs or the Beatles. that's what the Yuppies want--something without lyrics yet elevated in cultural rank. don't get me wrong the Police were cool and the Beatles are the Beatles....but they axed a friend of a friend of mine who had the "drive time slot" for playing hard stuff...or stuff that was too long or too dissonant... that station used to have it going. and this guy is one of quite a few serious Denver Jazz cats with history. They replaced him with the soundtrack at Starbucks. fuck. i don't need to hear muzak's yesterday or eleanor rigby.

welcome to the future once again.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

King Crimson wrote:don't sweat it too much, in Denver the jazz station used to be great but it's morphed into crap. a lot of "jazz" covers Police songs or the Beatles. that's what the Yuppies want--something without lyrics yet elevated in cultural rank.
Ah yes, if it doesn't have lyrics and has a good beat, it must be "jazz." :roll:

The only Police song that I can think of that could remotely be considered jazz is "Voices Inside My Head." Killah song, but jazz? Probably not. And the Beatles? Bwwah. Or do you mean covers? If that's the case, yeah, I've heard some of that. Watered-down soul, perhaps. But jazz? Try again, in many cases.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

yeah, covers. or background music to drop 100$ on dinner in some place heavy on atmosphere and pay 35$ for an 8 dollar bottle of table wine cause you think you might get some (i know, i cooked in two of those places for 6 years in Lake Tahoe and Boulder).

same dumbasses that think Sting invented Ska.

I do like Stewart Copeland, though. he's no Max Roach or Elvin Jones by any fucking means, but he's pretty cool as drummer.

funniest thing i ever read was a quote from the lead singer of Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickenson....he says: "Sting acts like he's the only the person who ever read a book".

tru dat.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

King Crimson wrote:same dumbasses that think Sting invented Ska.
I've met people like this. Scary.
I do like Stewart Copeland, though. he's no Max Roach or Elvin Jones by any fucking means, but he's pretty cool as drummer.
Dude is absolute nails. He grew up in S. Africa, I believe, and mastered all these strange, sort of "off-beat" rhythms that nobody else seems to be able to do. "Voices Inside My Head" is a perfect example. If I ever took up the drums, that would be the song I would want to master. It would probably take me two lifetimes just to imitate that shit. Freaking amazing how the percussion in one song can be.
funniest thing i ever read was a quote from the lead singer of Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickenson....he says: "Sting acts like he's the only the person who ever read a book".

tru dat.
LOL
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Buzz;
Keep pushing your nose further up into the air. You certainly can't get any uglier.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
lovebuzz

Post by lovebuzz »

you're whining because i jumped on the Diego = PEDOPHILE bandwagon. and because i slagged Dave Koz. and also because you are an avid listener of smooth jazz radio station eelvator muzak shite.

you know this, and i know this.

get fucking over it, sunshine.

you're no raving beauty yourself.

2. my nose isn't in the air, unless we're talking about your sick fascination with adolescent boys in underoos.

3. if we are, perv - then yeah. my nose is in the air.

regarding the subject at hand, Mingus was a genius. i've some rare live stuff (vinyl)that i ordered from some shithole store in Ghey Paree. it's incredibly good music... perfect for hot summer night, out on the balcony, cocktail in hand.

radiofan - thank you for your post. no, really... as for the crap smooth jazz radio, i've heard basically the same sort of shit in the 314, here in Detroilet and in Chicago and NYC too, tho a couple of years ago. all of em - crap. shit like john tesh, dave koz and who's that stringy haired geek ... KENNY G ! UGHHHHHHHHH. i think my parents fornicate to kenny g - SKEERY.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

King Crimson wrote:.

tru dat.
buah!!!!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

!zzubevol wrote:
radiofan - thank you for your post. no, really... as for the crap smooth jazz radio, i've heard basically the same sort of shit in the 314, here in Detroilet and in Chicago and NYC too, tho a couple of years ago. all of em - crap. shit like john tesh, dave koz and who's that stringy haired geek ... KENNY G ! UGHHHHHHHHH. i think my parents fornicate to kenny g - SKEERY.
RACK

I liked some of that stuff when it first started coming out about 15-20 years ago. But it got incredibly old and formulaic really fast. There was a station here in LoCal back then that had a Sunday morning radio show called "Champagne Jazz", said in sort of a whispery voice with the accent on "jazz". It was alright for Sunday Brunch background music.

Anybody who thinks Kenny G can play soprano sax has never heard Wayne Shorter.

BTW, don't worry about your parents, buzzer, they're just getting old. If they're still fornicating that's something in their favor.
RadioFan

Post by RadioFan »

!zzubevol wrote:i've heard basically the same sort of shit in the 314, here in Detroilet and in Chicago and NYC too, tho a couple of years ago. all of em - crap. shit like john tesh, dave koz and who's that stringy haired geek ... KENNY G ! UGHHHHHHHHH. i think my parents fornicate to kenny g - SKEERY.
Bwaahhh.

Can someone please just shoot John Tesh? It would really help soothe my feelings of negativity if this was taken care of, really.
lovebuzz

Post by lovebuzz »

Mikey wrote:
!zzubevol wrote:
RACK

I liked some of that stuff when it first started coming out about 15-20 years ago. But it got incredibly old and formulaic really fast. There was a station here in LoCal back then that had a Sunday morning radio show called "Champagne Jazz", said in sort of a whispery voice with the accent on "jazz". It was alright for Sunday Brunch background music.

BTW, don't worry about your parents, buzzer, they're just getting old. If they're still fornicating that's something in their favor.
Rack you too.

I've not listened to Wayne Shorter, i will look for some though (any reccomendations ?) and see what you're onto there...

i hear ya, mikey - about the parental units. and yeah, rack em for whatever the hell it is they're doing in their 50's but unrack em for me even knowing about it. ICK.

the john tesh thing shouldn't surprise me because other than ultra lame / very typical motown, all my crazy mom listens to is fucken Laura Branigan and Shitty Enya. UGH.

i expect more from dad.

he's a decent guitar player himself (acoustic only) and has played for the likes of carole king and whatever... he's the one who steered me into my own musical tastes, drove me to and from school listening to shit like Alan Parsons Project, Neil Young, America, CSN, Cheech and Chong (basketball jones, when you're 8-9 is kinda confusing) and the like... that dad will even CONSIDER listening to shit like John Tesh disappoints me.

*shrugs*

whatever, parents are weird.

the more i pay attention to/read your stuff, Mikey - i think you're the coolest cat ever. i seem to recall thinking you were a happily married parent. rack you. you're neat.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I do like Stewart Copeland, though.
me too. probably the best "pop music" drummer in quite a while.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
scritti
The Internationalist

Post by scritti »

RadioFan wrote:
!zzubevol wrote:i've heard basically the same sort of shit in the 314, here in Detroilet and in Chicago and NYC too, tho a couple of years ago. all of em - crap. shit like john tesh, dave koz and who's that stringy haired geek ... KENNY G ! UGHHHHHHHHH. i think my parents fornicate to kenny g - SKEERY.
Bwaahhh.

Can someone please just shoot John Tesh? It would really help soothe my feelings of negativity if this was taken care of, really.
more than willing to bust a cap in Tesh...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

!zzubevol wrote:
Mikey wrote:
!zzubevol wrote:
RACK

Rack you too.

I've not listened to Wayne Shorter, i will look for some though (any reccomendations ?) and see what you're onto there...

I was first turned on to Wayne Shorter as a member of Weather Report in the 70's and 80's. There's some great stuff there. He's also considered one of the main artistic forces behind the Miles Davis Quintet of the 60's, and has played in bands with Herbie Hancock as well as fronting his own. He's been around a long time but for a more recent sample check out Footprints Live recorded in 2001. I don't have it but hear that it's really good.

i hear ya, mikey - about the parental units. and yeah, rack em for whatever the hell it is they're doing in their 50's but unrack em for me even knowing about it. ICK.

LOL. We try not to let our kids get any idea of what we're doing. I guess they can't stay naive forever :lol:

the john tesh thing shouldn't surprise me because other than ultra lame / very typical motown, all my crazy mom listens to is fucken Laura Branigan and Shitty Enya. UGH.

i expect more from dad.

he's a decent guitar player himself (acoustic only) and has played for the likes of carole king and whatever... he's the one who steered me into my own musical tastes, drove me to and from school listening to shit like Alan Parsons Project, Neil Young, America, CSN, Cheech and Chong (basketball jones, when you're 8-9 is kinda confusing) and the like... that dad will even CONSIDER listening to shit like John Tesh disappoints me.

*shrugs*

RACK your old man for exposing you to the good stuff from his generation

whatever, parents are weird.

the more i pay attention to/read your stuff, Mikey - i think you're the coolest cat ever.

You know how to make an old fart blush... :oops:

i seem to recall thinking you were a happily married parent. rack you. you're neat.

You've got me pegged there. And almost as old as your peeps -- 50 in May :?

But you're only as old as you feel, right?