The Cardinal is finally showing some life

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

The Cardinal is finally showing some life

Post by Mikey »

After losing Pac10 Player of the Year Josh Childress to the NBA as well as two other starters and their long time coach Mike Montgomery, Stanford came out this season with a new coach and had to play their first 8 games on the road because Maples Pavillion's renovation wasn't finished yet.

They only won 4 of those first 8 and started out 0-3 in the conference, looking pretty shitty in the process. But since then they've won five straight including wins against 'Zona and Oregon State at home and on the road against UCLA, USC and Cal. They've accomplished this even though they are now down to 8 scholarship players due to injury and a couple of two sport players deciding they want to concentrate on football.

Amazingly enough Dan Grunfeld, who never looked like that much of a player, has emerged as the team's leading scorer (and second in the conference) at over 18 ppg while hitting over 50% from the field, including .407 from three point range. Chris Hernandez is still one of the best point guards in the nation, who can also take a game over from three point range when he needs to.

I've only seen them a couple of times, against UCLA and USC and they looked kind of slow and sloppy at times but they are getting better and better as the season progresses. Given time I think coach Trent Johnson can be every bit as successful as Montgomery was and who knows maybe someday will even take them deep into March, something that Montgomery seemed to have trouble with.

At 11-7 and 5-3 they are at least in a position to make it to the post season this year. I know the Pac 10 looks weak this year with 'Zona and Washington the only top 25 teams at #10 and #11, but watch out for the Pac 10. Second highest conference RPI this season, behind the ACC and ahead of all the other loser conferences.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

Stanford has one good win over Arizona.

At this point I see the NIT in the future for Stanford.
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

You think only two teams from the conference with the #2 RPI will make the dance? Right now Stanford is alone in third sordid clambake in the Pac 10.

One game behind the Huskies and two behind 'Zona.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

I could be wrong Mikey.

I am not going to sit here and knock the Pac Ten, Washington did beat Oklahoma early on, they are tough and so is Arizona.

If Stanford finishes 4th or 5th in the Pac Ten they have a good chance to make the dance, but will be bubble. 3rd and they are in.
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.