Dook sucks

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Shine
Leads all Lists

Dook sucks

Post by Shine »

Gotta make this place official ya know.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

C'mon BtH, don't you know the rules??? OU really beat Dook, it was just the refs handed the game to Dook.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Believe the Heupel wrote:You're absolutely correct. When the refs called that fifth foul on Shavlik Randolph, it killed OU's inside game.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Believe the Heupel wrote:You're absolutely correct. When the refs called that fifth foul on Shavlik Randolph, it killed OU's inside game.

:lol:
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

You guys see the latest love Duke/hate Duke thing from ESPN Sportsnation?

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnat ... nt_id=1128
Buried_Nick
You can't spell scUM, without UM

Post by Buried_Nick »

No, you guys just Melted away a nice early lead.

'Da TROOF', musta been lyin that night, eh?!
Pablo
Provocateur

Post by Pablo »

The Dukies play the UVA Wahoos tonight.

Cue the P. Gillen "Of course Duke is Duke..." reset.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

13-0 is shitty as hell. OSU is overrated.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

As much as I like Coach K, this Duke team still hasn't convinced me yet. They've got a nasty three-pack of games coming up in the beginning of February...at Wake and home with Tech and UNC. If they're still unbeaten going into those games...those will be tough tests for them. If they take 2 of 3, that would be a major accomplishment. I thought this would be a transition year for them but this 13-0 start has been a big surprise.
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

exactly, Shoalzie. Nobody expected a 13-0 start.

I'd be surprised if they made it to the Wake game undefeated. @Miami, @F$U, and home against MD individually should be wins, but at some point you gotta figure in an off night. And it's actually a brutal four game stretch after that - @Wake, GT, UNC, and then @MD.

I HATE HATE HATE that we don't have round robin anymore. It's crap.
Buried_Nick
You can't spell scUM, without UM

Post by Buried_Nick »

Shoalzie wrote:As much as I like Coach K, this Duke team still hasn't convinced me yet. They've got a nasty three-pack of games coming up in the beginning of February...at Wake and home with Tech and UNC. If they're still unbeaten going into those games...those will be tough tests for them. If they take 2 of 3, that would be a major accomplishment. I thought this would be a transition year for them but this 13-0 start has been a big surprise.
I spied their '04-05 scheddy. It is so Front loaded for easy W's at their crib, it's sickening. A. Katz talked about it in a nice toungue lashing article where he pointed out the ACC commish are acting on Network demands to schedule the tougher, marquee matchups well after the NFL hoopla subsides. They want to maximize attention for ratings.

I think it's actually a novel idea. I wish Tom Izzo got that much RUN in the B10 offices in Chitown. That way we'd never leave the state of Mi. until late Jan. and even then, it'd be roadies at IU and Pur. or NW. - making it much more easy to grab a nice 12 & 0 start or even better. Then that seeding and ranking stays high, because almost everyone else has played true roadies at more than one tough team. When the losses come late, it doesn't effct the general seeding. Shrewd move, actually. :wink:
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

MSUFAN wrote:When the losses come late, it doesn't effct the general seeding.
I disagree. One of the criteria the selection committee looks at is the record in the last 10 games.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Duke will always be my number one hated team

I still remember the 1991 Final Four game we lost 79-77. To this day i',m still convinced the players threw that game. They should of smashed the Blue Devils.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Pablo
Provocateur

Post by Pablo »

Obviously, this isn't one of K's best teams. I'm shocked how shallow their bench is. That said, I've been very impressed at their ability to ham-n-egg it w/ guys like Melchionni while Shavlik has been out. Never, and I do mean never, count a Coach K team out. They're like Carolina was when I was a kid. They just find a way to pull it out of their asses, er I mean win.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

MSUFAN wrote:I wish Tom Izzo got that much RUN in the B10 offices in Chitown. That way we'd never leave the state of Mi. until late Jan. and even then, it'd be roadies at IU and Pur. or NW. - making it much more easy to grab a nice 12 & 0 start or even better.
Uh, you do realize that we won't always have Mike Davis as our coach right???

IU is the winningest Big 10 team of the 70's, 80's, and 90's. We get a new coach next year we've still got a shot at the 00's too.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

The Assassin wrote:Duke will always be my number one hated team

I still remember the 1991 Final Four game we lost 79-77. To this day i',m still convinced the players threw that game. They should of smashed the Blue Devils.
I've said it before, I'll go to my grave convinced that UNLV threw that game.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Pablo wrote:Never, and I do mean never, count a Coach K team out.
I hate to say it, but I couldn't agree more.
Jim Nantz
Fuckin' Noob

Post by Jim Nantz »

Pablo wrote: Never, and I do mean never, count a Coach K team out.

I think the college basketball world knows this, Pablo. He'll get more out of less than any coach in NCAA basketball, and that is what makes Coach K the best in the business. Come tournament time, don't be surprised to see them in the Championship.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Shine wrote:

That rumor has swirled around here ever since. The story is Stacey Augmon had to be consoled ,he was sobbing uncontrollably after the game realizing what he,and the team had done.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
DamnTheCowboys
Human Garbage Disposal

Post by DamnTheCowboys »

Shine wrote:

Don't forget the IU-Duke Final Four Game in '92 when the refs had a vendetta against Bob Knight. Also the fixed Final Four game (Duke vs. Maryland) in '01. All of Duke's championships are tarnished.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

DamnTheCowboys wrote:
Shine wrote:

Don't forget the IU-Duke Final Four Game in '92 when the refs had a vendetta against Bob Knight. Also the fixed Final Four game (Duke vs. Maryland) in '01. All of Duke's championships are tarnished.

Fluke U.

But they cannot take 103-73 in 1990 away from us long suffering Rebel fans!
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

DamnTheCowboys wrote:
Shine wrote:

...don't forget all their other Final Four appearances......they're just not good enough to get to 10 FFs in 18 years.....they had to have help. :roll:
Ahh yes, the Maryland game....the mantra of the truly desperate. Twerps were up by 20...lost by 10. Takes more than refs....but go ahead and cling to little conspiracy fantasies. Hope that can salve the tragedy of a simple basketball game outcome.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

MSUFAN wrote:I spied their '04-05 scheddy. It is so Front loaded for easy W's at their crib, it's sickening.
Like MSU? :?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Killian wrote:
MSUFAN wrote:I spied their '04-05 scheddy. It is so Front loaded for easy W's at their crib, it's sickening.
Like MSU? :?

:lol:
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

DamnTheCowboys wrote: Don't forget the IU-Duke Final Four Game in '92 when the refs had a vendetta against Bob Knight.
As if I don't have the game on tape, and watch it at least once a year. Ted Valentine can rot in hell.

As for Dook's "tainted titles":

- 91: either clean or UNLV threw the game, something Dook has no control over

- 92: Dook isn't to blame for the piece of shit known as Ted Valentine

- 01: As Mustang pointed out, the refs can't cause a 30 point swing. Terps didn't know how to close games that year, witness the gone in 57 seconds game
Diogenes
The Last American Liberal

Post by Diogenes »

The only thing better than seeing the Blue Devils make the Final four ever year..........

Seeing you bitter bitches whine about them.

Keep up the good work, losers.
Message brought to you by Diogenes.
The Last American Liberal.

ImageImage
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Diogenes wrote:The only thing better than seeing the Blue Devils make the Final four ever year..........

Seeing you bitter bitches whine about them.

From reading posts on message boards and from reaction from fans in other arenas, Duke basketball has to be the most hated team in college sports. I don't know where this all comes from. Coach K runs a clean program and his on-court success is matched by few. I'm sure some of it is jealousy and some of it just bitterness from fans that have lost to them in the past. I think the Yankees are probably the most hated team in all of sports but Duke hoops has to be right up there in the top 3.

I'd like to read a legitimate reason why someone doesn't like Duke beyond the fact they aren't that person's favorite team. By nature, any team that isn't your favorite team is supposed to be disliked to a certain degree but some go above and beyond to rip on Duke whenever possible. ESPN does have a bit of media crush with them but it they weren't a winning team, I don't think they'd show them as much. I don't see where Duke is any different than Kansas, North Carolina, Kentucky or any other college hoops powerhouses.

DukeHater, I'd like your response...
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Shine wrote:
DamnTheCowboys wrote: Don't forget the IU-Duke Final Four Game in '92 when the refs had a vendetta against Bob Knight.
As if I don't have the game on tape, and watch it at least once a year. Ted Valentine can rot in hell.

As for Dook's "tainted titles":

- 91: either clean or UNLV threw the game, something Dook has no control over

- 92: Dook isn't to blame for the piece of shit known as Ted Valentine

- 01: As Mustang pointed out, the refs can't cause a 30 point swing. Terps didn't know how to close games that year, witness the gone in 57 seconds game
Shine's finest take. A renowned Duke hater, he's one of the few able to separate fantasy from reality. Can't say that for other neurotics. All the Duke hate used to bother me, especially from Maryland, a team I and other Duke fans used to really like back in the day. But now, it's almost become fun to watch people get so wrapped up in their hatred and spew constant streams of sensless drivel. I made a decision that I don't want to look or sound like them and for that reason, can't say I really hate Carolina any more. Or Maryland. What's the point? It's just a basketball team.

There may be a couple of legit reasons to hate them, I suppose.....media jocking, Vitale, prickly players (Laettner, Hurley), frequent presence in Final Four. But it's kind of cool to be a big wheel (wish I had a football team like this) and watch opposing fans go bonkers when they beat Duke, as if it were a national title game.
Pablo
Provocateur

Post by Pablo »

The current SI has an article on Redick, the latest in a long line of despised (white) Duke players.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Thanks for bringing the race card/worst take ever into the mix. Bringing race in always a sure sign of desperation. Hope you don't represent the bulk of Wake fans....
helmet
Elwood

Post by helmet »

Mustang....go read the article if you haven't - Pablo brought it up because the article brought it up.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

OK.....I'll retract till I get a glimmer of that.....which could be a while....not an SI reader. Maybe next haircut.
Pablo
Provocateur

Post by Pablo »

Thanks for having my back, Helmet. That's the only reason I mentioned it.

Mustang, name one black Duke player w/ a bad rep, let alone a hated one.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Sorry, I don't read SI drivel often. What the hell's the difference anyway? If you're white and play at Duke you're a douchebag and if you're black, you're ok? Seems kind of silly. Only whitie I can recall at Duke with a bad rep was Laettner....maybe Hurley. Damn, they were good, though. But to play your little game, Carlos Boozer was not exactly loved by anti-Duke nation (oh, wait...he's 1/2 white..oops, does he count?). Nate James? Constantly ridiculed. Brian Davis? Mocked and accused of being gay. Lovely. Nate James? Phil Henderson? Dahntay Jones? Chris Carrawell? I guess you can pretty much take your pick. Seems like hating Duke has always been an equal opportunity endeavor.

War Rod Griffin
Pablo
Provocateur

Post by Pablo »

The point of the article is that Duke is hated b/c of their amazing success and white Duke players are especially hated b/c they're seen as "the common guy".

Not one of the guys you named was/is depised even remotely as much as Redick, Laettner, Ferry, Hurley, Wojo, et al.

I'm not race-baiting. It's just a topic of disussion. That's what these forums are for, right?

Btw, SI is drivel? It's only the most widely read, well respected sports periodical in the world. That's my $.02.
Boom goes the dynamite.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Shoalzie wrote:ESPN does have a bit of media crush with them
What is an incredible understatement Alex.

Mustang
Don Cherry

Post by Mustang »

Pablo-
Fair enough. Just seems kind of silly that players would be hated because they just happen to be white. Perhaps Duke strategically recruits annoying white guys, I don't know. Or all those whities mentioned were just damn good players, who stick out, I guess, in a black dominated sport. Shame on them. I do, though, remember quite a bit of hatred for the black players I mentioned, especially Carlos Boozer and Chris Carrawell.

SI? Well respected? Maybe for pretty photographs and an occasional decent story. But mostly a lot of fluff. I have been an occasional subscriber in the past but their political correctness gets too nauseating. But I'll try to find a copy and read what they have to say. Most of the Duke stuff they've written in recent years is hardly flattering. Their last vomit inducing article was one on whey people hate the whole Duke vs. Carolina thing.....written by a Carolina alum who did nothing but bash Duke throughout.

War Anthony Teachey
moon
Elwood

Post by moon »

I also remember a lot of dilike and thug references to Dahntay Jones. He certainly wasn't popular with opposing fans by any stretch of the imagination.
G.O.
Elwood

Post by G.O. »

Mustang wrote: Don't forget the IU-Duke Final Four Game in '92 when the refs had a vendetta against Bob Knight. Also the fixed Final Four game (Duke vs. Maryland) in '01. All of Duke's championships are tarnished.

...don't forget all their other Final Four appearances......they're just not good enough to get to 10 FFs in 18 years.....they had to have help. :roll:
Ahh yes, the Maryland game....the mantra of the truly desperate. Twerps were up by 20...lost by 10. Takes more than refs....but go ahead and cling to little conspiracy fantasies. Hope that can salve the tragedy of a simple basketball game outcome.
dunno about that, but how about the game last night? the terps had to beat dook and the refs. talk about a bunch of horsesh*t calls.
Last edited by G.O. on Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G.O.
Elwood

Post by G.O. »

somebody wanna post this properly? just for old times sake....

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/atta ... id=1171012