Quick Netflix reviews

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Quick Netflix reviews

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Six Feet Under: Season One
This mortality shit's pretty damned good. I'm not floored or anything, but its done really well. I look forward to furture discs from the series.

Birth:
Nicole Kidman is a Upper East Side WASP that has come across what may be the reincarnation of her long dead husband. Pretty movie done by a video director. Movie does more in your head than on the screen. It was worth an evening's entertainment, but not much tittalashun.

Pixies: Gouge Away
Live concert footage that you may recognize from audio B-side comps, band interviews, backstage footage and words from devoted fans that happen to be major British rockers on this documentary thingee devoted to my favorite band in high school. I was very fucking down. Good to see what I once saw in Kim Deal. Issue.

Million Dollar Baby:
The movie was well done, but as Clint throws emotional jabs leading to two big haymakers at the end, they were glancing blows. The time when Clint got all mad because the townsfolk didn't bury Morgan Freeman porperly was cool. It'll be good to see Hillary Swank playing a character that wasn't white trash.

Sideways:
This movie would be awesome if I embraced my upper middle class upbringing and acted like wine was important. If you are a WASP, you'll love this movie. I thought it was funny at times and a worthwhile rental but incredibly overrated. A fat guy who has hard luck with the ladies but eventually gets one... yup it was taken from a novel.

Kinsey:
Does this movie want to talk about the man who brought steam to the sexual revolution, or does it want to talk about the topic itself? Movie don't know and neither do I. Frank discussion of pussy doesn't interest me and neither does scientific talk of pussy. Movie wasn't much to write home about.

Life Aquatic:
I don't get it. What's the joke, Wes? I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt thinking you've done something really smart and funny here... but I don't get it.
why is my neighborhood on fire
tomas8
Mr. Laid Back

Post by tomas8 »

don't rent constantine, it's boring.
sorry about that whammy!
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Good netflix hint:
When renting TV series that has multiple discs, space it out. Maybe mix in a couple other movies in between. Not many series are so good that you want to watch them beginning to end immediately.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

*Just returned the Fearless Freaks Flaming Lips documentary. What a bunch of crazy hooligans those guys are.

*Also mentioning to make dins and van really pissed off, as they are so passionate about what others listen to.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Just returned a Howard Zinn documentary. Narrated by Matt Damon in a move that hollywood agents would cringe at. The documentary dealt with this guy who was organizing teachers, opening venues in the south during the 60's and leading the Vietnam peace movement. I'd like the docu more if it didn't reek of patchouli.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:*Just returned the Fearless Freaks Flaming Lips documentary.
#1 in line. I've been watching it go from very long wai to long wait to short wait for some time.
tomas8
Mr. Laid Back

Post by tomas8 »

just returned the core, not a bad sci fi flick, it's worth checking out.
sorry about that whammy!
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Hide and Seek
Wifefelice likes the spooky movies so I rented this one. As soon as the opening menu came up and it offered four alternate endings, I knew that I was in for the suckitude. They weren't comfortable with the endings written so they filmed 5... ouch. This is one of those movies where DeNiro mails it in. At least Famke is in it briefly. D+

Laurel Canyon
Kate Beckinsale does a striptease to Serge Gainsbourg. For that fact alone, this would be the best film ever if they didn't pull the rug out from under us with morality and comments on the ickiness of love vs. lust. That and the fact that the sheriff of Maynard flashes her flat chest. Why is it the chicks that really get to me (Beckinsale and Connelly) do hot things that are so twisted?? Low Barlow makes an appearance in the flick but doesn't do anything hot.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Laurel Canyon was cool if only for the Sparklehorse thing.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I've enjoyed Six Feet Under. As for watching a series in big chunks, I enjoy it. I recently watched 5 seasons of The Sopranos, and in my Netflix infancy I happily viddied I Claudius in entirety.
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
tomas8
Mr. Laid Back

Post by tomas8 »

e wrote:life aquatic was very good. not as good as rushmore but much, much better than tennenbaums.

i tried watching sideways but just got annoyed with it and turned it off.
have you seen lost in translation?

good flick, i really enjoyed it.
sorry about that whammy!
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

PSUFAN wrote:I've enjoyed Six Feet Under. As for watching a series in big chunks, I enjoy it. I recently watched 5 seasons of The Sopranos, and in my Netflix infancy I happily viddied I Claudius in entirety.
I, Claudius is very cool. now, you should go read Tacitus' the Histories since you have the outline in your head. Or even Suetonius--you could pick up the highly EDITED Penguin classics "12 Caesars" edition for nothing i bet. the original is quite naughty. Roman history is great.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Bizzarofelice wrote:Low Barlow makes an appearance in the flick but doesn't do anything hot.
I hope he doesn't do anything hot other than play Sebadoh songs when I see him in D-town in October.
tomas8
Mr. Laid Back

Post by tomas8 »

rent hostage with bruce wilis! it's good!
sorry about that whammy!
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

tomas8 wrote:rent hostage with bruce wilis! it's good!
Yes it is- if you're into highly predictAble, poorly acted films!
Yeah fuckers.... I'm back
tomas8
Mr. Laid Back

Post by tomas8 »

:lol:

sometimes you need mindless entertainment, it helps. :oops:

has anyone rented alexander yet?
sorry about that whammy!
Funkywhiteboy
Wiseass

Post by Funkywhiteboy »

Sad to say, I haven't seen any of the films mentioned so far.
“If you look at folks of color, even women, they’re more
successful in the Democratic Party than they are in the white, uh,
excuse me, in the Republican Party.” (NPR Interview Of Howard Dean

<http://www.breitbart.tv/html/153493.html> , 8/15/08)
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

e wrote: i just finished sin city and have one question. what the hell was with josh harnett? who the hell was he supposed to be?
if that's your only question after seeing that
you
are
gay

Sahara:
This movie had a stupid plot, dull action and involved vain attempts at understanding a single word Penelope Cruz says. Poorly made. Avoid. Anyone who likes this movie only does so because they are queer for Matthew.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Sin City:
Hell of a ride. Its better watching it in the theatre where the hardcore over the top scenes of the ultraviolence aren't interrupted by dogs wanting to go outside or in-laws calling to see if you'll be over for rosemary potatoes and pork loin.

Just enjoy the ride and don't think about the goofy story. Kich ayshe.

Lost Highway:
What is it with David Lynch and duality?
Twin Peaks: Laura is a good and bad girl to her father's Bob and Daddy
Lost Highway: Bill Pullman becomes Liev Schrieber
Mulholland Dr.: Namoi Watts becomes a different Namoi Watts

If you like David Lynch, enjoy. If you don't, don't bother.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Midnight Cowboy
Never saw this one so in a lull of good releases I checked it out. Enjoyed it a great deal. Dustin Hoffman kicked much ass. It was only dated when it got early 70's artsy with dream sequences.

The harmonium tune played throughout was later covered on a Faith No More album. Makes me love FNM that much more.

In the Realm of the Unreal:
Documentary about artist and general freak Henry Darger. Guy was a mental home resident, janitor and lifetime recluse who nobody thought of until he was put into a pauper's hospital and his landlord found massive paintings of children at war and a 15000 page story about a war for the children. Shit was crazy. Documentary wasn't well made but the subject is fascinating.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

I've been watching a lot of 6 Feet Under. Definitely good stuff!
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Bizzarofelice wrote:Sin City:

Lost Highway:

Lynch, and the Coen Brothers to a lesser degree, seem to me to make the same film over and over. I like them both, and are among the few filmakers i'd actually pay money to see their films and drag my ass into the 34plex theatre to see.

On the one hand all of Lynch's films explore the dark, irrational "reality" behind the bland, plastic surface appearances of life. his films, like hitchcock before him, borrow heavily from Freud in this elementary way.

the duality of the conscious/unconsious. remember the first scene in Mulholland is a head hitting the pillow--the dream--where the unconscious tries to make sense of waking like in symbols and condensed symptoms that "stand" as objects for repressed memories--like the ashtrays or the blue box with the key--or Roy's "in dreams" from Blue Velvet. Freud is also interested in the thematic/symptomatic presence in literature of the "doppleganger"--the "double".

the films are also influenced by the French "post"-Freudian Jacques Lacan. the "double" in this instance would be something like the "self" as seen in the imaginary or played out in the realm of the symbolic (a stage and fictional character, as in Mulholland scence at the midnight club) versus the Real and the inability to reconcile them. or determine which is really which. and such is our experience of life and self.

and the key 'theme' is that the rational mind is not master in it's own house the head. so, everything looks like a detective story that doesn't make sense....where you are trying to find out what "really happened".

Memento play around with the same stuff.

anyway, blah blah blah.
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

King Crimson wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:Sin City:

Lost Highway:

Lynch, and the Coen Brothers to a lesser degree, seem to me to make the same film over and over. I like them both, and are among the few filmakers i'd actually pay money to see their films and drag my ass into the 34plex theatre to see.

On the one hand all of Lynch's films explore the dark, irrational "reality" behind the bland, plastic surface appearances of life. his films, like hitchcock before him, borrow heavily from Freud in this elementary way.

the duality of the conscious/unconsious. remember the first scene in Mulholland is a head hitting the pillow--the dream--where the unconscious tries to make sense of waking like in symbols and condensed symptoms that "stand" as objects for repressed memories--like the ashtrays or the blue box with the key--or Roy's "in dreams" from Blue Velvet. Freud is also interested in the thematic/symptomatic presence in literature of the "doppleganger"--the "double".

the films are also influenced by the French "post"-Freudian Jacques Lacan. the "double" in this instance would be something like the "self" as seen in the imaginary or played out in the realm of the symbolic (a stage and fictional character, as in Mulholland scence at the midnight club) versus the Real and the inability to reconcile them. or determine which is really which. and such is our experience of life and self.

and the key 'theme' is that the rational mind is not master in it's own house the head. so, everything looks like a detective story that doesn't make sense....where you are trying to find out what "really happened".

Memento play around with the same stuff.

anyway, blah blah blah.
Rack that reponse King- feel like I'm back in my film theory class. We spent an entire semester studying Lacan, Freud, etc (The mirror phase, the monstrous feminine, etc...).. and applying their theories to horror movies. MY final paper was 25 page paper examing the roles of the monstrous feminine and Freud's theories on phallus's & Penis envy in Freddy Vs. Jason. One of the best classes I have ever taken...

On another note if you are a fan of Lynch movies- you should check out Takashi Miike's Odishon (Audition). It was a fantastic film that dealt with alot of the same issues
Yeah fuckers.... I'm back
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Don't forget Bunuel's Los Olvidados. Can't escape a Lynch review without hearing his name 50 times.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Ring Two:
Kinda blows. Other than Ms. Watts, everything that made the original worth admission is gone. There was nothing really creepy about it.. Stupid story and stupid dialogue and stupid effects.

Last Picture Show:
Bogdonavich's story about teenagers stuck in a small Texas town with little to do other than fight their environment. Hadn't seen this one in a while and had never seen the theatrical version. Hadn't seen this one since I've had time to consider my own teenage years. Cybil Shepard ain't got no cans. Really good flick worth your time.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Arrested Development...hilarious.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

March of the Penguins...
Ever find yourself stuck watching Animal Planet or some other nature documentary? If you answered yes to this, and suddenly find yourself at a video store yet unable to think of any other way to find a nature documentary (PBS, Discovery, TLC, Animal Plaent...), pick up March of the Penguins. If you don't find yourself stuck in that situation, don't bother.

All the hype about the flick must come from people who

Fantastic Four...
Not bad. Heck of a lot better than I expected. The action scenes were fun, the plot avoids being a burden and the dialogue was only laughable when it was science talk coming out of Jessica Alba's mouth.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Elf was only bearable because of a blonde Zooey Deschanel.