Summer concert plans?

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

Summer concert plans?

Post by Viper in Vancouver »

The best concerts are usually put on in the summer. What concerts are you guys going too? On July 11, I'm going to see Ben Harper at the commodore in Vancouver. The club only fits around 1400 people, so it should be good show. The show sold out in two minutes, and I see that tickets on ebay are already going for well over a $100 each. I'm also going to see Jack Johnson play at a park just outside of Vancouver in August. That should also be an awesome show. A few of us also want to check out Dave Mathews at the Gorge, but we've not go our tickets yet for that one
Is Rozy a man or a woman? This thing has a chicks name and deleates threads about hot chicks. I'm guessing this loser isn't a dude
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Summer concert plans?

Post by Dinsdale »

Viper in Vancouver wrote:A few of us also want to check out Dave Mathews at the Gorge
A couple of things --

A) You just admitted to wanting to see DMB. You're fucking gay.

B) Please stay out of our country, or if you can't do that, then at least avoid my region.

C) We've covered this before, but if you do pollute the northwest with your foul canadian ass, please don't think for one second that the Gorge Amphitheater is anywhere near the Gorge. It's about 150 miles from the Gorge. Dumbest name for a venue, ever. If I hear one more concert traveller say "The Gorge is really cool!" after going to the amphitheater, I'm going to puke. That ain't the fucking Gorge. Not even close.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Take your medication, Dins.

That being said, DMB ain't my cup of tea. For the summer concert season, I plan on thinking about seeing some bands, worrying that the club will be too hot and smoky and end up going to a friend's house and drinking the night away.

Saw Hold Steady last night. Tight tighttighttighttighttight.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Bizzarofelice wrote:worrying that the club will be too hot and smoky and end up going to a friend's house and drinking the night away.
That's why some of us choose to live in areas where we can have outdoor shows through much of the year.

And I took my share of "medication" up at the Not-In-The-Gorge Amphitheater.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Dinsdale wrote:That's why some of us choose to live in areas where we can have outdoor shows through much of the year.
Not a big fan of those big clear channel shows. Band I saw last night at the Hi-Pointe had 80 people there.

Outdoor venues don't have much in the way of pinball to issue before the show, either. Last night I kicked it with Cactus Canyon:

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Too true.

That's why we have a bar with piball at home. Can prefunc before outdoor shows.

Bad Cats PW3NS!
Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

Dinsdale wrote:
Viper in Vancouver wrote:A few of us also want to check out Dave Mathews at the Gorge
A couple of things --

A) You just admitted to wanting to see DMB. You're fucking gay.

B) Please stay out of our country, or if you can't do that, then at least avoid my region.

C) We've covered this before, but if you do pollute the northwest with your foul canadian ass, please don't think for one second that the Gorge Amphitheater is anywhere near the Gorge. It's about 150 miles from the Gorge. Dumbest name for a venue, ever. If I hear one more concert traveller say "The Gorge is really cool!" after going to the amphitheater, I'm going to puke. That ain't the fucking Gorge. Not even close.
A couple of things

A) DMB is one of the biggest touring acts out there, so they must be doing something right. You're fucking gay!!

B) I go to your country all the time, and it's noty nearly as nice as back home

C) I could care less about seeing the Gorge. I'm going to see a band I like in a cool venue. If I wanted to see any natural beauty I'd look out my front door
Is Rozy a man or a woman? This thing has a chicks name and deleates threads about hot chicks. I'm guessing this loser isn't a dude
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Viper in Vancouver wrote:A couple of things

A) DMB is one of the biggest touring acts out there, so they must be doing something right. You're fucking gay!!
So is Britney Spears. What's your fucking point?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
d-townmike
"Q-Town"

Post by d-townmike »

The Good News: DMB is playing three shows in September at Red Rocks.

the Bad News: My girl and I plan to be in St. Louis that weekend to take in a Cardinals game.

She really wants to see DMB and go to the Cardinals. I want to see both also, but for DMB, just to see them at the worlds best outdoor concert venue.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

d-townmike wrote:just to see them at the worlds best outdoor concert venue.
Never been to Red Rocks. I sure as hell will someday. LEGENDARY venue.

I have frieds who have been to shows at both the Not-In-The-Gorge, and Red Rocks. Everyone I've talked to either rates them equally, or give a slight edge to the Not-In-The-Gorge. All I've talked to that have seen both were extremely impressed with both. Some said that touring acts seem to tire quickly at the high elevation at Red Rocks, though.

Not-In-The-Gorge is a pretty cool place. It's just in the middle of freaking nowhere.

From what I've seen in pics, Red Rocks looks cool as all fuck.

George Slideshow -- http://www.hob.com/apps/slideshow/defau ... name=gorge

Not very good pics, imo. Don't do the setting justice. It's cooler than shit when the sun goes down behind the stage.

Yup, Red Rocks looks pretty freaking cool, alright.

And I hear Interlaken, Switzerland is pretty darn cool, as well. Don't use superlatives to you see them all, bro.
frodo_biguns
gibbering dumbfuck

Post by frodo_biguns »

This is one of the greatest music festivals in the world.
http://www.summerfest.com/

Many are bitching because they got rid of the Bo Black
who ran it for over 25 years. The are saying the lineups suck becasue uit lacke newer bands. But they have a point, it's not the teenie boopers who spend the dough when they slode down to the lakefront. It's the 30-40 somethings who are lining up the drinks and partying. We'll have to see how it works out. We are going to see Whitesnake and I'm trying to manage some tix for the Pixies. They also dropped two stages, not a good thing.

The only bad thing about it is they have the half ass carnival next to Summerfest that is always filled with gangbangers. About fifteen years ago there was a gang shooting, some homie literally capped a dude in the ass. It was a good thing BTO was playing so I didn't have to hear him scream. 8)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Wow, Fraudo.....two whole acts per day? Starting with John Mellencamp?

I'll jump in the car and start heading out right now.

Not really.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Red Rocks is pretty cool. i'm not a huge fan of outdoor venues to be honest--

of the 6-7 shows i've seen at RR best show i saw was Echo and Bunnymen in about 85. they kicked ass. it was a good show, no synth crap just guitar rock. my gf took me see New Order there about the same time, they were fucking awful. i can sort of appreciate kind of what they do and i like joy Division but i never liked them much. just an unbelievably terrible live show.

my cousin and his bro drove up to Denver from Dallas to see Radiohead at RR about a year ago and stayed at my place. after the show they looked like they'd just had tagteam blowjobs from Jessica Alba and Salma Hayek.

i guess it was a pretty good show.

90% of the acts that play RR suck--or it's nostalgia and 90$ tix. so, to me the lustre is a little off.

as BizF says about Clear Channel shows.
d-townmike
"Q-Town"

Post by d-townmike »

King Crimson wrote:my cousin and his bro drove up to Denver to see Radiohead at RR about a year ago and stayed at my place. after the show they looked like they'd just had tagteam blowjobs from Jessica Alba and Salma Hayek.
I was at that concert. Radiohead knows how to put on a show, no question about that. That was one of the best concerts I had ever been to!

Can't beat two encores and 10,000+ in the crowd in a beautiful natural acoustic setting.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

King Crimson wrote:Red Rocks is pretty cool. i'm not a huge fan of outdoor venues to be honest--
Whoa...twighlight zone moment....

Immediately before reading this, I was taking with my oldest bestest going-to-shows buddy about this very topic. We both agreed that now we've seen literally hundreds of shows, neither of us has a whole lot of interest unless it's either in a small club(1000 or less, preferably less), or outdoors. Arena shows suck major league ass.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

frodo_biguns wrote:This is one of the greatest music festivals in the world.
http://www.summerfest.com/
Whoa! What a lineup!

John Mellencamp
John Fogerty
Tom Petty
The Black Crowes
Kenny Chesney
Gretchen Wilson
Santana
Los Lonely Boys
Stevie Nicks
Vanessa Carlton
Allman Brothers Band
Journey
Pixies
Weezer
BoDeans
Wallflowers
Tim McGraw
Keith Urban
James Taylor

If it was one day and you charged 20 bucks a ticket, I might take a peak.

:roll:
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Tight:
John Mellencamp
John Fogerty
Tom Petty
The Black Crowes
Pixies
Weezer

Sucks like nothing has ever sucked before:
BoDeans
Wallflowers
Tim McGraw
Keith Urban
Los Lonely Boys
Kenny Chesney
Stevie Nicks
Vanessa Carlton

Represent:
Gretchen Wilson
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

A friend is trying to con me into coming up for Lollapalooza in Chicago. Its a two day event, but its like $100+.

ZEERS!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote: Whoa! What a lineup!

John Mellencamp
John Fogerty
Tom Petty
The Black Crowes
Kenny Chesney
Gretchen Wilson
Santana
Los Lonely Boys
Stevie Nicks
Vanessa Carlton
Allman Brothers Band
Journey
Pixies
Weezer
BoDeans
Wallflowers
Tim McGraw
Keith Urban
James Taylor
That loud noise you just heard was King Crimson's head exploding.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Dinsdale wrote:
BSmack wrote: Whoa! What a lineup!

John Mellencamp
John Fogerty
Tom Petty
The Black Crowes
Kenny Chesney
Gretchen Wilson
Santana
Los Lonely Boys
Stevie Nicks
Vanessa Carlton
Allman Brothers Band
Journey
Pixies
Weezer
BoDeans
Wallflowers
Tim McGraw
Keith Urban
James Taylor
That loud noise you just heard was King Crimson's head exploding.

i actuallly saw James Taylor at the OKC Zoo Ampitheatre--which is a very cool and underused outdoor venue, i don't even know if they even have shows there anymore. but, it was a good show. it was what it was. he wrote very pretty songs.

I also saw INXS and the Del Fuegos there in 86. INXS was a good live band. in that, they could play the songs and make it better. i'm not a big INXS guy by any means, but I respect that. that's music.

i've posted this before: but, i really liked the JCM record Scarecrow. hell, and Fogerty, shit. i wouldn't pay 100$ to see him do that baseball song.....but Green River is a great riff and "this is one our fathers wrote....".

arena shows: no way. seeing the pixies in 3500 place was bad enough--though they really did rock the house. it money well spent. it wasn't like seeing them 15 years ago like i did inna day, but it was cool that the young people are into it--and not just old hacks like me.

though i WON'T be paying 100$ to see them in 20 years at Red Rocks.

Nixhex
Spliffy

Post by Nixhex »

Weezer and Cake
The White Stripes

That's it so far.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Smog is coming to town. Haven't paid attention to what he's been doing for some time, but I saw him in Chicago and it kicked ayshe.

Closed with Baby Got back. That shit's funny to me.
Tex
Jake

Post by Tex »

Already missed the two I intended to catch-NIN and Fishbone

Nothing else critical that I'm aware of for a while. Mabe the Walkmen and Mates of State in Sept. I dig Mates of State for some reason.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I'll try and catch as many decent shows that come through Detroit as possible this summer. Next up is The Wrens (jersey band) at the Magic Stick, July 15th.
KatMode
Elwood

Post by KatMode »

I'm going to see The Fixx tonight at a club.
:)
Moorese
Lancing the lovelies

Post by Moorese »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Next up is The Wrens (jersey band) at the Magic Stick, July 15th.
DO NOT miss this show.
When life hands you a park steak, you'd better motherfucking ISSUE it.

- - -

Liberate Cascadia!
Moorese
Lancing the lovelies

Post by Moorese »

Viper in Vancouver wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:
A couple of things --

You're fucking gay.
A couple of things

You're fucking gay!!
This is the tightest, most impregnable form of "I know you are but what am I?" smack that I have ever seen. In other words...

IN THE FACE!
When life hands you a park steak, you'd better motherfucking ISSUE it.

- - -

Liberate Cascadia!
Viper in Vancouver
shit disturber

Haper last night was brilliant. He went on stage just after 9:00pm and he finished his last encore just after 12:30am. His band is also pretty amazing. You guys should check them out when they come to your town
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Moorese wrote:
IN THE FACE!
Yeah, but he's going the the amphitheater in the Gorge.

Little does he realize that the amphitheater in the Gorge is at Maryhill Winery(only one I know of). And while he's far far from my favorite, I might have an inside track on (free)tickets for Bob Dylan there. Dylan is probably painful to sit through, but I'll bet I can score some aging hippy pussy, complete with saggy tits and everything.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Summer in SoCal this year is turning out to be fucking NAILZ.

Went to Warped Tour last week (RACK Transplants and Unseen-UNRACK that old fuckpuddle Billy Idol) and will be going to street scene at the end of this month to see Rise Against and The Pixies.

Too many others to list, but my calendar is packed and my pocketbook is fat, niggaz.

Let the summer fun begin.