Bush hits a new low

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Variable
Untitled

Bush hits a new low

Post by Variable »

Networks may not carry Bush speech

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - Three of the four broadcast networks had yet to decide late Monday whether they would carry President Bush's speech on Iraq Tuesday in front of soldiers in Fort Bragg, N.C. By then, only ABC had said it would carry the address.

The White House formally requested an hour of primetime at 8 p.m. ET for Bush's speech at a time when public opinion polls show the tide turning against the war in Iraq.

CBS, NBC and Fox all said they would decide sometime Tuesday whether to carry the speech.

The networks, unconvinced in initial talks with the White House late last week that the speech would be newsworthy, asked for more information.

But that might not be the only reason for the networks' holdout. While CBS was in repeats at 8 p.m., NBC was faced with the possibility of having to pre-empt or reschedule the heavily promoted original reality series "Average Joe: The Joes Strike Back."

Are you kidding me?? Bush can't beat out "Average Joe" for airtime?

Well, it's partially his own fault. The networks carry Bush's speeches live less often than any President than I can remember, well, ever. Sure, some of this is due to the Bush-hating factor, where they're somehow getting over by relegating him to a lower-tiered news status, but the BA has brought plenty of this on themselves.

How many times have we all heard this guy talk where other than a mispronounced word or five, he's said absolutely nothing of substance? You can't prattle on and on in politico-speak every time you go before a crowd or at some point, no one's going to give a fuck what title you've got on the brass plate on your door.

Still, even if a faction of those that control the media wouldn't want to air a Bush war rally (as they see it), they would still do so if they thought for a moment that it'd generate more hate. Considering that Bush can't let a fart under the covers without having his approval rating dive five points, you'd think that they'd assume they could at least generate SOME ill will and would air it on that basis alone. However, the BA's proclivity for speaking long while saying nothing has put them in this position.

Hopefully this will serve as a lesson to future administrations what happens when you try to bullshit the public, take no responsibility for anything, ever, and make it known that for almost six years of an administratoin that you basically don't give a crap what the public thinks about what you do, what you say or how you go about your business.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

The networks, unconvinced in initial talks with the White House late last week that the speech would be newsworthy, asked for more information.
They were burned by the last tyime Bush pre-empted programming to get his side of the story out there.
why is my neighborhood on fire
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

The networks did the same thing to Clinton. Truth be told, there are so many programming options out there that you can easily avoid Presidential speeches and still fulfill your couch potato duties. The networks know this and regard Presidential airtime requests as nothing more than lost revenue.

BTW: A Speech in front of soldiers?

I guess it pays to have people under orders to clap.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

It's a tough call.

Show the scripted b.s of some pretend reality show, or the scripted b.s of some pretend reality war speach.

Ratings are everything.
Am I wrong...God, I hope so.
Variable
Untitled

Post by Variable »

Show the scripted b.s of some pretend reality show, or the scripted b.s of some pretend reality war speach.
I think the reality show gets the nod. At least it has some potential, however slight, of being entertaining.
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

If a politician repeats the same party line over and over and over, then cries wolf, over and over and over..

Does anyone really hear him?

Bush speach>Grab remote>Change Channel
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

Note to Self:
Break down and get a Sat_Dish.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

So long as he doesn't pre-empt the nba draft, he can take over every other channel for all I care.

I remember one Mizzou-Kansas hoops game I watched at a sports bar. We had an entire bar of MU and KU alum yelling and screaming during the game, save one small room in the corner that would stand and applaud at strange times. Turns out they were watching the State of the Union address during the game.

Point being, there will be people swayed by this. Maybe not swayed, but have their opinions reinforced.
tough love
Agondonter

Post by tough love »

^
And if you guys in the Sport Bar woulda done the right thang, there would now be one less small room full of tard clones to mutter up your country.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

tough love wrote:^
And if you guys in the Sport Bar woulda done the right thang, there would now be one less small room full of tard clones to mutter up your country.
Would have thought about it if Mizzou wasn't giving away another close game.
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Bizzarofelice wrote:So long as he doesn't pre-empt the nba draft, he can take over every other channel for all I care.

I remember one Mizzou-Kansas hoops game I watched at a sports bar. We had an entire bar of MU and KU alum yelling and screaming during the game, save one small room in the corner that would stand and applaud at strange times. Turns out they were watching the State of the Union address during the game.

Point being, there will be people swayed by this. Maybe not swayed, but have their opinions reinforced.
Yep. The pro bush crowd will come in here later tonight and tomorrow claiming another victorious home run speech.

There won't be much rebuttal, since most of the non bush Crowd won't bother to watch him trying out his pathetic pep rally skills on the American public. It's not like we haven't seen it before.
At Large
Bitter Husker Apologist

Post by At Large »

It'll be the usual: "Everything's fine. Nothing to see here" speech. Can we expect any different from any politician?
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

Forgot to rack these:
Hopefully this will serve as a lesson to future administrations what happens when you try to bullshit the public, take no responsibility for anything, ever, and make it known that for almost six years of an administratoin that you basically don't give a crap what the public thinks about what you do, what you say or how you go about your business.
If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." —GWB Washington, D.C., Dec. 19, 2000
Martyred wrote: Hang in there, Whitey. Smart people are on their way with dictionaries.
War Wagon wrote:being as how I've got "stupid" draped all over, I'm not really sure.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Otis wrote:If a politician repeats the same party line over and over and over, then cries wolf, over and over and over..

Coming from a gLiberal supporter that is hillarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

HIDDEN AGENDA!
Otis wrote: RACK Harper.
Miss Demeanor
That other bitch

Post by Miss Demeanor »

Hapday wrote:
Otis wrote:If a politician repeats the same party line over and over and over, then cries wolf, over and over and over..

Coming from a gLiberal supporter that is hillarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

HIDDEN AGENDA!
Hap does his best Dr Demelt imitation.

For a second there you had me sold, but you forgot the "Well?", "Link", and "LMAO".

Try it again and this time put some feeling into it.