Supreme Court Rules on Ten Commandments

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

DrDetroit wrote:We don't see the display as anything more than the display of this nations founding.
Who is this "we"? The religious right, or just those who support having the 10 commandments in the courthouse?

This nation was founded by those escaping religious persecution in the hopes of having religious freedom, but not just christianity based religious freedom. Remember that when you want to display only the 10 commandments.
Please cite something that suggests the display of the Ten Commandments implies that religion is influencing judicial rulings.
Can you cite something that says Buddhists cannot post their 5 moral precepts right next to the display of the 10 commandments? Just asking.

You walk a fine line when you say " we want to post the 10 commandments, but only as a reference to our past". There are a dozen religions who can make the same claim. However if you then stray over into the " It is the basis upon which our government was founded, so we need to display it" territory, you are now in the realm of a state/government supported ideal, which is still against the law, despite this ruling.

So let them all in, or let none in. Take your pick.
DrDetroit
I Punk Liberals all day

Post by DrDetroit »

Who is this "we"? The religious right, or just those who support having the 10 commandments in the courthouse?
Those of us who believe that the display is nothing more than a display of one of the inspirations for this nation's foundings.
This nation was founded by those escaping religious persecution in the hopes of having religious freedom, but not just christianity based religious freedom. Remember that when you want to display only the 10 commandments.

The first part makes no sense.

And when did I suggest that I want only the Commendmants displayed? Reach, much?
Can you cite something that says Buddhists cannot post their 5 moral precepts right next to the display of the 10 commandments? Just asking.
So you were just making that up, eh?
You walk a fine line when you say " we want to post the 10 commandments, but only as a reference to our past".
No, it's quite a clear line. Only those who seek to rid from public view all Christian symbols have a problem with this.

And it's not simply a reference to our past. It's a symbol of this nation's moral foundation.
There are a dozen religions who can make the same claim.
Uh, no. And even if that were true, they would have done it already.
It is the basis upon which our government was founded, so we need to display it" territory, you are now in the realm of a state/government supported ideal, which is still against the law, despite this ruling.
I see you making the leap, Bushice...what's the bridge? What takes it from a mere display to actual state policy??
So let them all in, or let none in. Take your pick.
SCOTUS already does. And that's what their ruling permits.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

The SC has gone SO far off track in it's rulings on First Amendment issues over the last half-century that no matter what kind of ruling comes down at this point it will be "wrong."

One can spin and take off in many many directions in opposition to the Ten Commandments being allowed to be publicly displayed, but the bottom line is that it in NO way establishes any religion.

That being so, of freaking COURSE, the Ten Commanments ought to be allowed to be posted.

To think otherwise makes you a m0ron of the highest order.

Frightening how damn many we have around here.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

Maybe this is God's way of saying "This relic of my commandments doesn't deserve to hang in your courts".

You never know.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

DrDetroit wrote:
If displaying them is not an establishment of religion, then you do agree that Satanic tenets can be displayed along with Pagan rules, Muslim rules, and Scientology rules.
No, I don't agree. None of the contributed to the founding of the nation.
Dumbass -- before the Revolution, many of the Founding Fathers bonded at pagen rituals, which I'm quite sure their clergymen would not have approved of. It helped embolden them to step up and revolt. And to get laid.

Dumbass.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mister Bushice
Drinking all the beer Luther left behind

Post by Mister Bushice »

poptart wrote: To think otherwise makes you a m0ron of the highest order.

Frightening how damn many we have around here.
Yes. Scary, Isn't it?

Maybe this is God's way of saying "This relic of my commandments doesn't deserve to hang in your courts".
Maybe. Maybe.