any other TB vets ??

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

any other TB vets ??

Post by Wolfman »

Served in US Army Reserves from 1960-1966. Lucky to not get called up for Viet Nam. Two closest calls, once in a unit I served was packed and ready to go to the Congo to protect US personnel and interests there. The CIA had the revolt leader iced and we stood down. The other was the Cuban Missile Crisis which everyone was on the ready.
Props to any others and especially if you were in harm's way.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
JPGettysburg
Elwood

Re: any other TB vets ??

Post by JPGettysburg »

Wolfman wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:30 pm Served in US Army Reserves from 1960-1966. Lucky to not get called up for Viet Nam. Two closest calls, once in a unit I served was packed and ready to go to the Congo to protect US personnel and interests there. The CIA had the revolt leader iced and we stood down. The other was the Cuban Missile Crisis which everyone was on the ready.

My dad.

He would've been 102 this year. ARMY vet, part of the greatest generation who served proudly and with distinction in WW 2.

Drove a munitions truck in France, was shot in the back while driving his truck. The only thing that saved his life was the steel plate embedded in the seat back.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

^^^^
Wow---lucky him. My maternal Grandfather was a combat medic in WW1. My Dad avoided service in WW2 with bad feet. Had two cousins who did serve. One with the 10th Mountain Division in Italy another in the Pacific. The one in the Pacific gave me a Jap flag. He scared me by saying they cut ears off the Japs as souvenirs and they bled yellow blood. I thought that was true back then. An Uncle was in post war Ko era. My older son was in the Air Force and had a tour in Korea too.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

My Grandad was a machine gunner in the Royal Regiment. While on leave in England, he by chance met his brother in a bar (also on leave) and they got pissed, fucked off to Scotland and forgot to go back. They eventually got caught, were thrown in jail and Grandad was demoted to cook.

He used to hang a picture of Hitler in the dining room and always said next time he was helping the Germans.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Phibes wrote:He used to hang a picture of Hitler in the dining room...

:shock:
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Wolfman wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:59 pm ^^^^
One with the 10th Mountain Division in Italy
I'm sure he saw some major combat (although the 442nd saw the worst).
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

yes he did---ironically my younger grandson is serving with the 10th. He speaks Farsi and was at interrogation school.

JPGettysburg
Elwood

Post by JPGettysburg »

Dr_Phibes wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:17 pm My Grandad was a machine gunner in the Royal Regiment. While on leave in England, he by chance met his brother in a bar (also on leave) and they got pissed, fucked off to Scotland and forgot to go back. They eventually got caught, were thrown in jail and Grandad was demoted to cook.

He used to hang a picture of Hitler in the dining room and always said next time he was helping the Germans.
Demoted to cook?

Reminds me of Sreven Segal in "Under Seige" , he was Casey Ryback, a Navy Seal, demoted to a cook.
BAD ASS COOK.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

JPGettysburg wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:33 am Reminds me of Sreven Segal
Well, it spared him Dieppe and he made a legendary Hamburger Hash, so all for the best. Family dinners with the Hitler portrait were always heart-warming.

Pt. II - Great Uncle Arthur.

He was in the British 1st Airbourne, broke his leg on a practice jump just before Arnhem. He never said it directly, but inferred that it was intentional. I once asked him directly and he was cryptic: 'I'm not bloody stupid'.
Something interesting, he said Canadian paratroopers were trained in Manitoba, Americans in Wisconsin - so there was cross-training. Problem was, British and American landing techniques were diametrically opposed, so men would get confused, employ a little of both when landing under stress and do severe damage to themselves.
StrawMan
Elwood

Post by StrawMan »

Wolfman wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 4:30 pm Served in US Army Reserves from 1960-1966. Lucky to not get called up for Viet Nam. Two closest calls, once in a unit I served was packed and ready to go to the Congo to protect US personnel and interests there. The CIA had the revolt leader iced and we stood down. The other was the Cuban Missile Crisis which everyone was on the ready.
Belated but sincere thanks for serving our country, Wolfman.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

back then we thought it was our duty---one unit /i was with had a great motto---
"have guts--will travel"

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

6 years active, ‘84-90, USN. SERVED 4.5 years aboard USS JFK.

Over 11 years later, decided to join the reserves. Figured why the fukk not, already have 6 years towards a 20 year retirement.

Enlisted in the reserves…..2 weeks before 9-11.

Nice timing, huh?

Retired July ‘18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Roux
Elwood

Post by Roux »

All of you have my respect and admiration.
JPGettysburg wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:43 pmI'm feeling REAL GOOD about November 5th