Doom

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Doom

Post by Mikey »

HighPlainsGrifter wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:38 pm
Mikey wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:12 pm I never said that inflation doesn't hurt. You're changing the subject again. At least try to be honest.

The WaPo was reporting numbers released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, not created by the newspaper's evil editorial board. You can get that from just about any financial news reporting service. But then they're all run by the liberal elite, so why would you believe any of them?

https://www.marketwatch.com/livecoverag ... =home-page

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... e-americas

Inflation Eases as Core Index Hits Lowest Level Since 2021
(Wall Street Journal)
https://www.wsj.com/economy/inflation-a ... e-55eda190
Fuck off with this deflective bullshit. The way inflation is calculated has changed. Period. That's a fact. Why? So the numbers go down and the people making the changes can sell the public a narrative. A narrative you swallowed like tasty bait. Why? Because you WANT to swallow that tasty bait. You're making a choice to believe a certain set of statistics. An alternative set of statistics is also available for your perusal. It's an archival model that accurately reflects reality. That's why it's called REAL inflation.

REAL inflation is kicking people in the crotch in ways the WaPo narrative can't quantify. I know YOU don't feel that pain. You're INSULATED from a lot of economic turmoil, and in fact, benefit from it. But know this: a majority of people don't live the way you live and they don't monitor economic upheaval from a distance. The people in the trenches are feeling the 12%, not the 3.4%. Fact. The Bureau of Labor Statistics is LYING to them and they know it.
OK you're starting (err...continuing) to sound like EAP here, but I'll bite. Define "REAL Inflation" and where you got 12%.

:popcorn:
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Post by HighPlainsGrifter »

Mikey wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:45 pm
HighPlainsGrifter wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:38 pm
Mikey wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:12 pm I never said that inflation doesn't hurt. You're changing the subject again. At least try to be honest.

The WaPo was reporting numbers released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, not created by the newspaper's evil editorial board. You can get that from just about any financial news reporting service. But then they're all run by the liberal elite, so why would you believe any of them?

https://www.marketwatch.com/livecoverag ... =home-page

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... e-americas

Inflation Eases as Core Index Hits Lowest Level Since 2021
(Wall Street Journal)
https://www.wsj.com/economy/inflation-a ... e-55eda190
Fuck off with this deflective bullshit. The way inflation is calculated has changed. Period. That's a fact. Why? So the numbers go down and the people making the changes can sell the public a narrative. A narrative you swallowed like tasty bait. Why? Because you WANT to swallow that tasty bait. You're making a choice to believe a certain set of statistics. An alternative set of statistics is also available for your perusal. It's an archival model that accurately reflects reality. That's why it's called REAL inflation.

REAL inflation is kicking people in the crotch in ways the WaPo narrative can't quantify. I know YOU don't feel that pain. You're INSULATED from a lot of economic turmoil, and in fact, benefit from it. But know this: a majority of people don't live the way you live and they don't monitor economic upheaval from a distance. The people in the trenches are feeling the 12%, not the 3.4%. Fact. The Bureau of Labor Statistics is LYING to them and they know it.
OK you're starting (err...continuing) to sound like EAP here, but I'll bite. Define "REAL Inflation" and where you got 12%.
Real inflation is the method used before 1980, before the statistic became politicized by Reagan's administration.

If you want raw data, former treasury secretary Larry Summers and colleagues from Harvard and the International Monetary Fund, Marijn A. Bolhuis, Judd N. L. Cramer, Karl Oskar Schulz performed a study using the older statistical CPI model. If you have access to academic DOI, the DOI number is 10.3386/w32163

If you don't have access to the DOI, or if you simply want someone else to tell you what the numbers mean, Forbes does a nice job.

The 12% comes from Larry Summers and the aforementioned team whom used the research published in the DOI.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

HPG wrote:The way inflation is calculated has been revised in significant ways twice in my lifetime and in minor ways an innumerable number of times, again, in my lifetime. The inflation that led to Jimmy Carter losing the Presidential election was calculated using a different statistical method than the inflation that is buffeting the Biden reelection bid. Certain sectors are being completely ignored by the statistical model but people still feel financial pressures from those sectors.
Exactly.

Not only is inflation a big problem for the average person, but the federal government is borrowing 1 trillion dollars every 100 days to keep the farce going.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/01/the-us- ... -days.html

Bat shit out of control.

So no, the economy is most definitely NOT doing well.

This ends very badly.
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Interesting, and very academic. On first glance I'm getting that there are many ways of looking at inflation and many components, and differences of opinion on how to conflate them. I can't disagree with that. Again, my original post on this was in direct response to poptart's post on a single one of these measures, part of my point being exactly what is being said in this paper.

I pulled this chart directly from the paper. It appears that their preferred measure of CPI peaked at around 18% in 2022 but was at 10% in November of last year, and falling rapidly. I still don't see where your 12% is coming from, or are you cherry picking to make your point, like you love to accuse others of doing?

Here is the abstract:
Unemployment is low and inflation is falling, but consumer sentiment remains depressed. This
has confounded economists, who historically rely on these two variables to gauge how consumers
feel about the economy. We propose that borrowing costs, which have grown at rates they had
not reached in decades, do much to explain this gap. The cost of money is not currently included
in traditional price indexes, indicating a disconnect between the measures favored by economists
and the effective costs borne by consumers. We show that the lows in US consumer sentiment
that cannot be explained by unemployment and official inflation are strongly correlated with
borrowing costs and consumer credit supply. Concerns over borrowing costs, which have
historically tracked the cost of money, are at their highest levels since the Volcker-era. We then
develop alternative measures of inflation that include borrowing costs and can account for almost
three quarters of the gap in US consumer sentiment in 2023. Global evidence shows that
consumer sentiment gaps across countries are also strongly correlated with changes in interest
rates. Proposed U.S.-specific factors do not find much supportive evidence abroad.
"Unemployment is low and inflation is falling, but consumer sentiment remains depressed." They go through a lot of analysis to show some correlations affecting consumer sentiment. But what they ignore is the constant pounding from one side that we are totally fucked with nothing to mitigate our suffering, and everybody is so polarized that they only listen to one side of the story.

You seem to resent that I live an apparently comfortable life, and believe that I'm somehow unaware of economic turmoil (and even insulated from it?). You don’t know what I went through in the 70s (when inflation and interest rates were a lot higher than now), and the next 40 years to get where I am, and the uncertainty involved in living off of savings and dealing with the fact that Social Security may not last. All I can add at this point is GFY.
JPGettysburg
Elwood

Post by JPGettysburg »

Mikey wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:04 pm
JPGettysburg wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:46 pm
LOGIC dictates that if as you say, we are the largest exporters of crude worldwide, we would NEVER EVER have depleted our strategic oil reserves.

I never said that we were the largest exporters of crude. I said that we were the largest producers of both crude oil and natural gas. Do you see the difference there? In fact we are the third largest exporters of crude and the largest exporters of natural gas.

Regarding the Strategic Petroleum Reserve,
The Strategic Petroleum Reserve (SPR), the world's largest supply of emergency crude oil was established primarily to reduce the impact of disruptions in supplies of petroleum products and to carry out obligations of the United States under the international energy program

Biden started drawing it down in 2022 for 180 days as a hedge against price spikes on the international market resulting from the invasion of Ukraine by Trump's little Russian puppet master. Seems to me, that's what the reserve was intended for. It was sold into the market at $96 per barrel, and they have gradually been replacing it when prices are lower (it doesn't come for free, you know). Of course the Republicans frame this is as a disaster but you can be sure that they would have been bitching if he didn't do it.

The SPR was created following the 1973 energy crisis, when we were net importers of crude. Since we are now producing a lot more than we use (net exports of over 1.5 million barrels per day as of 2023), I'm not sure why it's so important that the SPR be immediately maxed out, except that it feeds into your stupid little rant.

If I'm wrong about anything here, please point it out and provide references to where you are getting your information.

Unlike you, I don't need to constantly change the subject, reply with fact-free, spittle-laced tirades, or beg for affirmation from members of a sordid clambake full of trolls, losers and social misfits like yourself.

Now go to your room and take a time out until I tell you that you can come out.

Quote,
"Trump's little Russian puppet master"
end quote.

THAT'S why you have ZERO credibility, and no one who ISN'T voting for Alzheimer's JOKE, takes you seriously.
JPGettysburg
Elwood

Post by JPGettysburg »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:37 pm
Mikey wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:04 pmprovide references to where you are getting your information.
You do realize who you're responding to, don't you?
He's responding to someone who would NEVER vote for an Alzheimer's patient and his low IQ crack whore VP..

SO obviously, he's NOT responding to you. Go fetch us some taco bell............boy.
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Mikey wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:02 pm "Unemployment is low and inflation is falling, but consumer sentiment remains depressed." They go through a lot of analysis to show some correlations affecting consumer sentiment. But what they ignore is the constant pounding from one side that we are totally fucked with nothing to mitigate our suffering, and everybody is so polarized that they only listen to one side of the story.
You're still trying to make it political. I'll leave that in your hands and focus on what a group of professionals concluded after examining data without bias.
Larry's website has a graph that shows 12-ish percent. I didn't put a straight rule across my screen so maybe it's 10%. The graph you posted shows 10% from February. Fine, I retract. REAL inflation is 10%.

Cheers.
JPGettysburg
Elwood

Post by JPGettysburg »

HighPlainsGrifter wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:27 pm
Mikey wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:02 pm "Unemployment is low and inflation is falling, but consumer sentiment remains depressed." They go through a lot of analysis to show some correlations affecting consumer sentiment. But what they ignore is the constant pounding from one side that we are totally fucked with nothing to mitigate our suffering, and everybody is so polarized that they only listen to one side of the story.
You're still trying to make it political. I'll leave that in your hands and focus on what a group of professionals concluded after examining data without bias.
Larry's website has a graph that shows 12-ish percent. I didn't put a straight rule across my screen so maybe it's 10%. The graph you posted shows 10% from February. Fine, I retract. REAL inflation is 10%.

Cheers.
HPD.

How can you take Mikey seriously when he uses BS word salad like,
"Trump's little Russian puppet master?"

He KNOWS about the landslide coming this November, and he's triggered and cornered like a cockroach at taco bell, his favorite eatery.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Cheers.
It was November. Six months ago. And decreasing. Do you think it suddenly flatlined? Not too good with visual cues, are you?

And when did you start trusting academics? Oh yeah, whenever they support your pre-determined conclusion.

And BTW...the discussion is inherently political, as much in your side of the discussion as mine. But you get that, you just want to use that accusation as some sort of weal-ass cudgel.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

JPGettysburg wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:32 pm

Cheers.
When did I tell you you could come out of your room, boy?

"Word salad"? How original.

Here's the puppet after being suitably reprimanded by his master.

Sven Golly
Elwood

Post by Sven Golly »

Folks will make their feelings about inflation in November. It won't be pretty. No amount of shenanigans pulled by the Dems at the ballot box will be able to overcome how these feelings are registered.

We may see the closest we'll ever come to a landslide, save for CA, IL, NY, and MN of course.

Buh bye Biden!
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Mikey wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:45 pm

Cheers.

President Reek (and in more ways than just the GOT reference)
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Mikey wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:36 pm
It was November. Six months ago.
So we agree it was 10%. I had February in my brain for some reason and I was wrong. This isn't something we need to argue over. I recant. Let's talk about November.
At that time, the Bureau of Labor Statistics calculated inflation at 3.1% using the modern method.

Today the BLS claims inflation is 3.4%, per your WaPo article. If the ratio between the BLS statistics and REAL inflation are consistent between November and today we're at...oh snap look at that... 11%.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

HighPlainsGrifter wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:18 pm
So we agree it was 10%. I had February in my brain for some reason and I was wrong. This isn't something we need to argue over. I recant. Let's talk about November.
At that time, the Bureau of Labor Statistics calculated inflation at 3.1% using the modern method.

Today the BLS claims inflation is 3.4%, per your WaPo article. If the ratio between the BLS statistics and REAL inflation are consistent between November and today we're at...oh snap look at that... 11%.
HPG, I'd like to take insert a question here as well as add a question from the Trump/GOP thread....

1) What do you think drove that inflation?

2) You said in the other thread that housing costs have skyrocketed from investment firms buying houses. This is a rare instance where we agree 100%. And I haven't seen a solution from either the D's or the R's. Can you hook me up with a link to where a solution has been proposed for this by the R's?
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

HighPlainsGrifter wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:18 pm

Look at your own chart. Up until 2022, when your measure suddenly spiked, the relative values were pretty close. Why would you assume a consistent ratio equal to what is essentially an outlier? If one were considering a trend analysis comparing the two rates, that period would probably be excluded.

Did you ever study statistics?
JPGettysburg
Elwood

Post by JPGettysburg »

Cheers.

Ok, I'll play along.

Your left-wing masters, both Barack and Hillary, playing footsie with Putin. Barack famously caught on a "hot mic" promising Putin's 2nd in command, that he'd. "Have more time to make deals" after the election.

😆🤣😂

You forget the "uranium enrichment" with their buddy Putin???
Huh boy??

You forget Barack making fun of Romney?
Romney correctly pointed out that Putin is our biggest geopolitical adversary, AND Barry boy from Chicago looked clueless.
😆🤣😂

This isn't going well for you because you're up to your ears in political bullshit propaganda.
JPGettysburg
Elwood

Post by JPGettysburg »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:13 pm

President Reek (and in more ways than just the GOT reference)
LMFAO
Diego is clueless.

Both Barack and Hillary were knee deep with their buddy Putin.

But I digress............

Taco bell boy.
HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Mikey wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:31 pm
Look at your own chart. Up until 2022, when your measure suddenly spiked,
Not my chart. You're doing that politics thing again.
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

I hate to do this, but I have to throw the flag here....

15 yards and loss of posting for abuse of shared troll

Will the clones handling the JPGshmuck nic please get together and work out who posts in each individual thread, please? I like that you are all on the same page as the replies are all similar, but this multi-post shitting in threads is horrible. Tighten your shared troll game, i know you can do better.
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

HighPlainsGrifter wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:08 pm
Mikey wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:31 pm
Look at your own chart. Up until 2022, when your measure suddenly spiked,
Not my chart. You're doing that politics thing again.
Sorry, the chart from NBER that you are using as the basis of your argument. Is that better?

You keep referring to the information from WaPo, but it's not from WaPo - that's just where I got it from. It's from the BLS. I showed you links to several other sources, including the Wall Street Journal. Why do you keep doing that politics thing?
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Aussie doom!

Digital ID Bill passes Parliament

The Digital ID Bill 2024 and Digital ID (Transitional and Consequential Provisions) Bill 2024 passed in the
Senate in March and has now passed the House of Representatives.

This is a huge milestone for the program and has been in the works for many years.

This provides certainty for the expansion of the Australian Government Digital ID System and for providers
and services to apply to join the Government’s system. An economy-wide Digital ID System will provide
many benefits to Australians by improving privacy and security when interacting online.

(poptart: LOL)

The Bills are expected to receive Royal Assent in coming weeks with the Acts expected to commence by
November 2024...

https://www.finance.gov.au/about-us/new ... parliament

Australia, along with a few other cvntries, led the way with draconian Covid measures, so it isn't real surprising to see them at the forefront of this new Orwellian nightmare.

#doom
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Singapore Airlines doom.

Extreme turbulence caused the death of one passenger.
Many other passengers were injured, a couple of them with broken arms.

The flight was scheduled to fly from London to Singapore, but instead took an emergency landing in Bang -----> kok.

:smile:

Click here ---> https://x.com/Vigilantenanna/status/179 ... 0109%2Fpg1 to experience the horrah of being in the cabin.

People flailing, screaming, praying, begging...

:shock:

#doom
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Softball Bat wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:19 am Singapore Airlines doom.

Extreme turbulence caused the death of one passenger.
Many other passengers were injured, a couple of them with broken arms.

The flight was scheduled to fly from London to Singapore, but instead took an emergency landing in Bang -----> kok.

:smile:

Click here ---> https://x.com/Vigilantenanna/status/179 ... 0109%2Fpg1 to experience the horrah of being in the cabin.

People flailing, screaming, praying, begging...

:shock:

#doom
Brutal. Always keep your seatbelt on while seated.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.