Secession is perfectly Constitutional

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

mvscal
Blank

Secession is perfectly Constitutional

Post by mvscal »

Queerland, I will even entertain your retarded drivel on this thread only. Do try to make sense if you are able.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Re: Secession is perfectly Constitutional

Post by Wolfman »

Ask Alabama et al how that works.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Wolfman wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:02 pm Ask Alabama et al how that works.
Wolftard makes a good point, for once.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Jsc810 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:36 pm Texas v. White enters the chat
That is a legal opinion. I would suggest you actually read Chase's decision. It might be the most poorly written decision I've ever read. He babbles a bit about the Articles of Confederation and then begins to make assertions out of thin air completely unsupported by fact or the Contitution itself.

It was a purely political decision made by one of Lincoln's former cabinet members at the peak of Reconstruction.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

JPGettysburg wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:34 pm
mvscal wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:13 pm Image

Queerland, I will even entertain your retarded drivel on this thread only. Do try to make sense if you are able.
The bottom line is this.

The left is totalitarian, authoritarian and anti-liberty.
So if they persist on their course, then the American people will protect and defend the constitutional republic at any and all costs.

"The tree of liberty".........

Can anyone finish this famous line?
This is a non sequitur.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Wolfman wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:02 pm Ask Alabama et al how that works.
This is not an argument for or against the constitutionality of secession.

Next.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Argument from authority logical fallacy.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Jsc810 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:08 pm It simply reflects reality.
Chase maintains that a state may not unilaterally leave the union because....the Articles of Confederation say so. This is an absurd argument. If you are going to cite the decision as support for the position that secession is unconstitutional, you will need to defend that decision.

As you well know, there is no such thing as settled law. I'm more interested in your opinion than that rendered by Samuel Chase 153 years ago as he sat perched on a bomb that could blow the country up 4 years after the Civil War. Feel free to highlight the portion of his decision that you feel is particularly compelling for our consideration.
For example, I could argue that laws prohibiting abortion are unconstitutional.
By all means do so. That would be a great topic for another thread. I would certainly participate in that. This is discussion board, yes? Perhaps we can elevate the level of discourse here.
Last edited by mvscal on Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

mvscal wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:34 pm
Chase maintains that a state may not unilaterally leave the union because....the Articles of Confederation say so. This an absurd argument. If you are going to cite the decision as support for the position that secession is unconstitutional, you will need to defend that decision.

As you well know, there is no such thing as settled law.
So do you support charging these two with perjury?

ImageImage
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:11 am
Chase maintains that a state may not unilaterally leave the union because....the Articles of Confederation say so. This an absurd argument. If you are going to cite the decision as support for the position that secession is unconstitutional, you will need to defend that decision.

ImageImage
This is a non sequitur.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

mvscal wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:33 am
Diego in Seattle wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:11 am

ImageImage
This is a non sequitur.
No, it's not.

Both said that Roe v. Wade was settled law during their Senate confirmation hearings.
9/27/22
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:35 am
Both said that Roe v. Wade was settled law during their Senate confirmation hearings.
Needless to say, that has nothing whatsoever to do with whether or not secession is constitutional. Feel free to start a separate thread on the topic.

Thank you for participating. The receptionist will validate your parking.

NEXT
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

The 10th Amendment would appear to make secession Constitutional since there isn't any language in the document addressing it. Lincoln's and Chase's arguments in favor of it being unlawful were based on circular logic (Chase) or belief in the destructive outcome of it (Lincoln), but neither argued based on constitutionality.

There is much discussion that could take place regarding the subject, but the short answer is that there is no Constitutional basis for the prohibition of secession.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Smackie Chan wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:57 pm The 10th Amendment would appear to make secession Constitutional since there isn't any language in the document addressing it. Lincoln's and Chase's arguments in favor of it being unlawful were based on circular logic (Chase) or belief in the destructive outcome of it (Lincoln), but neither argued based on constitutionality.

There is much discussion that could take place regarding the subject, but the short answer is that there is no Constitutional basis for the prohibition of secession.
This is the correct answer.

Needless to say, Lincoln was in an awkward position. The CSA firing on Ft. Sumter gave him a fig leaf to respond, if he wished. It is interesting to speculate on what would have happened if he hadn't responded. The northern tier of slave states still had not seceded at that point. Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas and Missouri were all still in play. That is an awful lot of real estate.

Just one more month of inaction might possibly have altered the trajectory of the conflict and possibly negated it altogether.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

So what was the motivation for firing on Sumnter?

As you say, it sort of gave Lincoln a reason to respond militarily. And once you start lobbing shells at one another, things like law take a back seat. Could it have been some sort of false flag operation? Or just a bunch of reb assholes being idiots?

Seems like it would have been far more effective for the southern states to just inform DC that they'd be succeeding. And Lincoln would have had a much tougher time politically convincing northern states to send their sons stop someone from leaving the union.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

smackaholic wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:33 am So what was the motivation for firing on Sumnter?
It could have been to goad Lincoln into a response that would bring the Upper South into the fold. It could have been that they were afraid that the continued presence of a reinforced Union garrison in Charleston harbor could inspire a slave revolt. It could have been pride and arrogance.

In any event, Lincoln's call for 75,000 volunteers solidified the line up.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Article IV, Section 3, Clause 1 of the Constitution addresses statehood, although the use of a semicolon in the clause has muddied up its meaning a bit regarding some of the limitations on how states can be admitted. The clause reads:

New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

Kentucky is an example of a state being formed from within the jurisdiction of another state (VA), but it was done so with the consent of the VA legislature.

There is also the "equal footing doctrine," a principle maintaining that all states admitted to the Union do so "on an equal footing with the original States in all respects whatever," meaning there can be no special circumstances or agreements in place to admit a state that differ from any others.

Since there is no "opt out" clause, nor is there anything in the Constitution indicating, Mafia-like, that once in, there's no getting out, it would seem, once again, that the 10th Amendment could be invoked by any state wishing to secede.

Lincoln seemed to be arguing an early version of the "too big to fail" justification for declaring secession unlawful despite there being no Constitutional prohibition against it. At the time, the US was the only democracy on the planet, and Lincoln believed allowing states to secede would spell the end, forever, of the self-governing experiment. The experiment and the Union were simply too big and too important to be allowed to fail without a fight despite the lack of Constitutional air cover; hence, the Civil War.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

If they had handled it like civilized adults, I wonder how many would have succeeded?

Next question is how much longer would slavery have gone on?

My guess is that it would have died on its own for economic reasons as farm equipment advancements meant large reductions in labor needs.

It’s a damn shame we didn’t follow the British example and simply buy the slaves freedom.

Related to this topic, what do you all think about the idea of counties choosing to move to a neighboring state?

I think it’s a good idea for one simple reason.

Membership in a political organization should be voluntary. Also, giving counties the tool of succeeding, gives them bargaining power.

This is currently an idea being discussed in “dry side” counties in Oregon who would like to be part of Idaho.

And how about the idea of a sections of a state just deciding to break off?

There is precedent, in KY and WV.

The only problem I see with that is you’d have everyone doing it and before long, we’d have about 7248 Senators.

The solution there, something long overdue, IMO is get rid of the 2/state rule and dole out Senate seats in proportion to population.

The current law means someone in Wyoming has close to 100 times more Senators/person than Cali.

I fail to see how that is fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Pedokkkal, of course, asks the childish question of if it’s constitutional. Of course it’s constitutional, from the USA side. We jettisoned the Philippines due it it being a bombed out hell scape and we could do the same to any shit state we wanted from Nebraska to Alabama. But maybe he missed what schoolhouse rock was trying to tell him.

The proper question is what would happen if a state tried to opt out and the answer of course is (barring some acquiescence by the USA as noted above) who has the most guns wins. It’s a power question not a legal one.

It’s also, like pedokkkal, very simplistic. What would be the mechanism? It’s like asking “is a divorce legal?” in a place with no divorce laws. Yeah you can ask to leave but how would that work? Your Senator would goto Congress? But they are saying they are not a Senator because they opted out. Are they going to tweet it out? Was there a referendum or was it a legislative action? Again it would get back to guns or acquiescence.

And of course gingerbread brain puts all the states on equal footing even Nevada which is 80% owned by the USA. How would that work? Is it legal to confiscate USA land? I think not. Are those laws constitutional? I think so. So how is it constitutional to confiscate the USA’s property without their consent? It isn’t.

Now put me back on ignore you stupid yellow simplistic pile of dingleberries masquerading as a human being.
Rootbeer

Post by Rootbeer »

smackaholic wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:06 pm The current law means someone in Wyoming has close to 100 times more Senators/person than Cali.
Wyoming is the 10th largest state with ONE house representative. That's a lot of land and I'll be damned if some urban sprawl in California is going to tell us what to do with our winter-blasted prairies.

Take away Wyoming's influence in the Senate and I guarantee this place disunites from the rest of the country.
Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Stop my privilege and I’ll burn the place down. Typical spoiled brat.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Rootbeer wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:58 pm
smackaholic wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:06 pm The current law means someone in Wyoming has close to 100 times more Senators/person than Cali.
Wyoming is the 10th largest state with ONE house representative. That's a lot of land and I'll be damned if some urban sprawl in California is going to tell us what to do with our winter-blasted prairies.
I'll be damned if cows in some flyover state get more representation in the House than the people of California & Washington.
9/27/22
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Root beer is an idiot. He thinks land votes.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

More proof none of you ever cared about repetition.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Kierland wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:19 pm Pedokkkal, of course, asks the childish question of if it’s constitutional. Of course it’s constitutional, from the USA side. We jettisoned the Philippines due it it being a bombed out hell scape and we could do the same to any shit state we wanted from Nebraska to Alabama. But maybe he missed what schoolhouse rock was trying to tell him.

The proper question is what would happen if a state tried to opt out and the answer of course is (barring some acquiescence by the USA as noted above) who has the most guns wins. It’s a power question not a legal one.

It’s also, like pedokkkal, very simplistic. What would be the mechanism? It’s like asking “is a divorce legal?” in a place with no divorce laws. Yeah you can ask to leave but how would that work? Your Senator would goto Congress? But they are saying they are not a Senator because they opted out. Are they going to tweet it out? Was there a referendum or was it a legislative action? Again it would get back to guns or acquiescence.

And of course gingerbread brain puts all the states on equal footing even Nevada which is 80% owned by the USA. How would that work? Is it legal to confiscate USA land? I think not. Are those laws constitutional? I think so. So how is it constitutional to confiscate the USA’s property without their consent? It isn’t.

Now put me back on ignore you stupid yellow simplistic pile of dingleberries masquerading as a human being.
Oh.....my
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Rootbeer wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:58 pm Wyoming is the 10th largest state with ONE house representative. That's a lot of land and I'll be damned if some urban sprawl in California is going to tell us what to do with our winter-blasted prairies.

Take away Wyoming's influence in the Senate and I guarantee this place disunites from the rest of the country.
Like anyone would miss your barren fucking shithole if you left the Union. Don't let the door hit you in your ass.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Screwy, you ever been to Wyoming? It’s an incredibly gorgeous state. Winter would clearly be brutal, but the rest of the year would be fantastic.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

It’s a hell hole plus a few nice parks. So yeah the Socialism part is nice the rest is rednecks and dirt.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Good people enjoy land. Desolation. Vistas.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Booger wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:14 pm Good people enjoy land. Desolation. Vistas.
Pinedale, Wyoming:

9/27/22
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Booger wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:14 pm Good people enjoy land. Desolation. Vistas.
But you are too fat to even leave your house.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Kierland wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:28 pm
But you are too fat to even leave your house.
You have established that you’re a dumbass. Why do you feel compelled to repeatedly reinforce that fact?
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Same MO as spray. Always deflect. Always stray off topic.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Kierland wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:03 am Same MO as spray. Always deflect. Always stray off topic.
:lol:
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Kierland wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:03 am Same MO as spray. Always deflect. Always stray off topic.
Hmmm…I disagree with your assessment of both PW and me 100%, but…

I guess you got me. Hot damn! I can play guitar now! Whoohoo!!!

BTW, this shit is waaaay off topic. Get back to secession, which holds zero interest for me.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

You some how even turned that into a I know you are off topic but what am I. Amazingly stupid.
Rootbeer

Post by Rootbeer »

Booger wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:41 pm Screwy, you ever been to Wyoming? It’s an incredibly gorgeous state. Winter would clearly be brutal, but the rest of the year would be fantastic.
No it's not.

Don't be inviting people here. This place sucks. Y'all stay in your beautiful cities and leave me to my desolate hellhole.
Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Rootbeer wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:30 am
Booger wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:41 pm Screwy, you ever been to Wyoming? It’s an incredibly gorgeous state. Winter would clearly be brutal, but the rest of the year would be fantastic.
No it's not.

Don't be inviting people here. This place sucks. Y'all stay in your beautiful cities and leave me to my desolate hellhole.
Shit. Wasn’t thinking. Yeah, Wyoming sucks. It’s a cesspool. No drag queens. Libs would hate it there.
:wink:
88BuckeyeGrad
Elwood

Post by 88BuckeyeGrad »

“Declaration of Independence” wrote:to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed”
It’s not a Constitutional argument. But it is axiomatic that governments of the people, by the people and for the people (Lincoln, yo) can only derive just powers if they have the consent of the governed (see quote above). Thus, if the governed no longer consent, our history seems to suggest that they should have the power to declare independence (which may only be obtainable via secession). What kind of government would force its people to submit to governance without their consent? S’up Authoritarianism?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

88BuckeyeGrad wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:03 am It’s not a Constitutional argument. But it is axiomatic that governments of the people, by the people and for the people (Lincoln, yo) can only derive just powers if they have the consent of the governed (see quote above). Thus, if the governed no longer consent, our history seems to suggest that they should have the power to declare independence (which may only be obtainable via secession). What kind of government would force its people to submit to governance without their consent? S’up Authoritarianism?
Bye already. You red shitholes can have your garbage economies. Us blue states (as of course the District will be a state) will have our prosperity.