Rock star progeny trying to be rock stars...

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

....pisses me off.

Saw Sting with the OL Sunday night at the Mohegan Sun Arena.

Sting was great. Dude is 70, looks 50ish and his voice hasn't lost anything. Dude is known to take freakishly good care of himself and it shows.

But, for the love of g0d, leave the kids home.

His son opened. Dude looks and sounds just like the old man. But, he can't right songs like him.

But, oh well, nobody expects much from the opening act, so I guess I can forgive him.

Then Sting comes on. He and most of the band did a pretty good job, although, the guitar/bass parts never really were the centerpiece of the band.

Sting is a great singer/song writer, but he ain't no Geddy Lee on Bass.

But then there was the drummer. Stewart Copeland is one of my favorite drummers. He plays in that razor sharp, tight groove jazz drummer style.

Stewart wasn't there.

But his kid was.

Zach Jones is his name. I suppose he doesn't want to take advantage of his famous name, but, lemme tell you, it ain't his drumming that got him on stage with Sting.

He isn't terrible. He played most of the notes...sorta, but I would classify him as an adequate drummer for a local cover band, but no more. In fact I have seen many of these local drummers who were way better than this kid.

Maybe he was pretty good, and I was just disappointed that he wasn't as good as his pop, but then again, who is?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Re: Rock star progeny trying to be rock stars...

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

Papa Willie wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:04 am I'll be honest with you on something. Sting has two brains. Some of the things he's been able to sing over while playing some of his bass lines are absolutely amazing. Even Geddy tends to play some of his bass lines along with what he's saying. Not knocking Ged at all, but there are a lot of songs to where his bass playing isn't even coming close to what he's singing. That's a serious gift.

I'd have to say that probably Greg Lake pulled that off better than anybody. It is definitely harder to sing and play bass at the same time than it is to play bass and sing at the same time. Trust me on that!

Unless like Sir Paul--or Phil or Bill or Waters--you're playing it with a pick like a guitar.
Before God was, I am
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

trying to be rock stars...

88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Papa Willie wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:04 am I'll be honest with you on something. Sting has two brains. Some of the things he's been able to sing over while playing some of his bass lines are absolutely amazing. Even Geddy tends to play some of his bass lines along with what he's saying. Not knocking Ged at all, but there are a lot of songs to where his bass playing isn't even coming close to what he's singing. That's a serious gift.

I'd have to say that probably Greg Lake pulled that off better than anybody. It is definitely harder to sing and play bass at the same time than it is to play bass and sing at the same time. Trust me on that!
As one who absolutely has a single brain controlling a single nervous system, I hear you. I have tried to play simple parts on a drum kit where one limb has to do something that is not a perfect fraction of what another limb does and I absolutely fail. There are drummers out there that can do that effortlessly....while sight reading it.

I respect/fukking hate that dude.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I hadn't really considered the singing/playing differences while listening to it. My primary thought was there were never moments where I was just blown away by what he was doing on bass. It was well done. Journeyman, would be a good description. Geddy Lee on the other hand.....he absolutely kills it. EVERY FUKKING SONG.

So, it is understandable that his singing maybe along for the ride because what he is doing on bass along takes at least 2 pretty good brains.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I saw Dweezil Zappa performing “Zappa Plays Zappa” a number of years ago. He’s obviously not his dad but he did put on a great show leading an excellent band. A very credible performer honoring his old man’s material.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

The fact that Geddy can sustain basic life functions while playing his bass parts, is a medical miracle. He is THE man on bass.

Too bad he’s had to drop a few octaves from his singing parts in the 70s.

Actually, that’s not entirely true. If he could hit those notes today, the large majority of his audience wouldnt hear them. Some of his higher notes could only be heard by small dogs and bats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by smackaholic on Wed May 18, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

From what I hear he had some pretty good teachers.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Talking guitar and drums is fun and all but you should really be talking about fiddles.

Sin,
Nero
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

I saw Jason Bonham play once with Foreigner. He was pretty damn good
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

JB is very good.

Ringo’s kid is really good.

Some apples fall quite close to the tree.

But sometimes they don’t. Copeland’s kid would be one of those that rolled a good distance away from the tree.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

smackaholic wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:00 pm JB is very good.

But sometimes they don’t. Copeland’s kid would be one of those that rolled a good distance away from the tree.

Isn't Glenn Frey's kid playing with the current formation of the Eagles?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:40 pm I saw Jason Bonham play once with Foreigner. He was pretty damn good
Did they play Urgent?
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Screw_Michigan wrote:

No idea. Wouldn’t be surprised.

Kinda sucks for the kids who actually are good and would be successful in a rock band…if contemporary rock was still a thing.

It pretty much isn’t. The landscape is littered with the carcasses of bands like The Strypes who would have been huge…were it 1974. Maybe even 84.

FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

Roger Taylor

Drummer that can sing and play.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

smackaholic wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:15 pm No idea. Wouldn’t be surprised.

Kinda sucks for the kids who actually are good and would be successful in a rock band…if contemporary rock was still a thing.

It pretty much isn’t. The landscape is littered with the carcasses of bands like The Strypes who would have been huge…were it 1974. Maybe even 84.

Yep. Contemporary rock is flatlining. Still love it, but there's simply much fewer bands around nowadays. The market for rock has really shrunk over the last 20 years.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I saw Brian Wilson’s touring band maybe five or six years ago. Al Jardine was the only other original Beach Boy in the band (long story but Mike Love, probably was the least talented of any of them and apparently a huge a-hole).

Believe it or not this was a great show. Matt Jardine, Al’s son, took Carl Wilson’s vocals and killed it.

That reminds me. Wilson Phillips had some pretty good success in the 90s.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:08 pm

He was.

About a month ago the band announced that Frey's son was leaving the band (amicably).
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

Mikey wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:21 am That reminds me. Wilson Phillips had some pretty good success in the 90s.
I remember a great many successes at the buffets back on the 90's.

Sin,
Carnie
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:20 pm

He was.

About a month ago the band announced that Frey's son was leaving the band (amicably).
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

And just for the hell of it, let's consider Mick Jagger's son, James, in the one-season Vinyl. Pretty good singer and rhythm guitar on a decent pop/rock tune.
Before God was, I am
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

And here's the best of rock star progeny. The Allman Betts band...I think they're better than their dads. Not quite the vocals, but the playing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g2yHMUUKck
Before God was, I am
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Just listened to one of their tunes.

Meh.

Decent enough players but nowhere close to their dads’ talent levels.

LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

True, this particular gig in the vid isn't close to one I heard on a local radio show--a much more modern sound to their playing while still echoing the distinctive AB band sound.
Before God was, I am
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

And Betts' kid as well is a dead ringer. I think he's better than Duane jr.
Before God was, I am
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:28 pm
LTS TRN 2 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:15 am And Betts' kid as well is a dead ringer. I think he's better than Duane jr.
Devon is actually Gregg’s son. And you’re right - Duane Betts looks exactly like Dickey in his early days!
I know you don’t like Derek’s playing, and he’s a nephew not a son, but a pretty damn good guitar player.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

LTS TRN 2 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 8:30 pm True, this particular gig in the vid isn't close to one I heard on a local radio show--a much more modern sound to their playing while still echoing the distinctive AB band sound.
I'm not doubting these guys have talent. Could you post an example of them being anywhere close to ABB levels?
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

The live performance which was amazing was aired on Dead To The World, on KPFA. But perusing the archives I can't find it. The piece was based on AB style themes but moved a lot more harmonically and technically. One can't help notice that the AB band was pretty loose--and everyone was a junkie. Consider the painful blunder by Betts in the middle of Mountain Jam--he just clunks the note--but they said fuck it, leave it as is. And of course there's the miracle "bar of seven" in the classic One Way Out where Oakley simply came in a bar early from the guitar call and answer section--but Duane of course just plays right over the truncated chorus, everyone follows along--and it works fine--never to be repeated.
Before God was, I am
Arthur Dent
Elwood

Post by Arthur Dent »

I love the actual recordings of live shows. I don't want a cleaned up version. I enjoy hearing talented people play...mistakes and all.
Derron57
Elwood

Post by Derron57 »

He was . Left the band last month to go out on his own. He was OK, but nothing close to his old man. The Eagles knew that too, and when they brought in Vince Gill, Deacons days were numbered. I saw them in 2017 in Seattle and while it was a good show, it was obvious that Deacon was not going to be a replacement for his old man, especially with Vince stage right of him. He was nowhere the guitarist his old man was and he just did not have the time in yet to be hanging with the Eagles in more than a cameo role.

The band was trying to find a new groove with out Glenn and I think the OGs knew that Deacon was not going to be that replacement, nor was Vince. But Vince was bringing a lot more just because of experience and age , and Deacon with Joe Walsh on his left and Vince on his right was in just possibly the hardest position he could have been and to be expected to bring some kind of legacy of his old mans talent, just was not going to happen. Adding Vince was more about his guitar and soprano voice than trying to replace Glenn, and having Deacon tour with them was more about honoring Glenn's life and legacy than trying to even come close to replacing him musically or vocally.

That being said, the opening of that show in 2017 was the entire band on stage in complete darkness doing the acapella version of Seven Bridges Road. I was about 10 rows in and it was a very profound musical moment for me anyway. I had a connection with Glenn in that he had the same disease that I have / had and he took a different treatment route, and did not have the toxic mega colon I did, and I have survived 11 years now.

Three weeks later I was back in the same venue to see Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and then 3 weeks after that Tom is gone. That was quite a roller coaster time for true music fans. Unfortunately live music has really taken a shit turn with all the scamdemic bullshit and all, and I have not been to a live show since Collective Soul in 2019. Ticket prices are really out of this world and the fucking covid Nazis still have all kinds of restrictions in this fucked up state, so that was probably the end of my live music concerts, and my bass picking at local farmers markets and wineries is not considered concerts.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Derron57 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:48 pm. I was about 10 rows in and it was a very profound musical moment for me anyway.
Meth is a hella of drug.

Oh and fuck off traytorr.