TuneTown May Not Be Right for You

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

TuneTown May Not Be Right for You

Post by Smackie Chan »

A few years ago, Mgo made the comment that I do a terrible job of promoting TuneTown, which of course is true, since I put virtually no effort into doing so. Most everybody here knows when it airs and has at least a vague idea of what can be found there, and there's not much I can post that will make anyone tune in who otherwise wouldn't. My intent is pretty straightforward - play good rock & blues songs that aren't heard much (or ever) on mainstream radio, throw in a few "hits" every now & again, find obscure or original versions of popular songs most of you haven't heard, and provide some background info about the songs and artists. If I had to characterize myself as a DJ, I'd say I'm part Jim Ladd, part Little Steven, part Dr. Demento, and part Early Times, with other influences thrown in for good measure. If you're looking to hear Stairway to Heaven or Life in the Fast Lane, you definitely don't wanna tune in; there are plenty of other outlets where you can get your fix. But if you're interested in hearing something a little different, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I'll try to get things rolling this evening a little earlier than usual - probably ~6:30 EST. Give it a shot if you haven't before or if it's been a while, or don't. There's a good chance it just may not be your cup o' tea.
"I see everything twice!"
The Big Pickle
Nubian Pole Sitter

Re: TuneTown May Not Be Right for You

Post by The Big Pickle »

You suckkkk
The Big Pickle
Nubian Pole Sitter

Post by The Big Pickle »

I have a crazy idea....

How about playing GOOD SONGS from GOOD BANDS!

You play the worst songs...that's why YOU SUCK!
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

It’s not that he sucks it’s that he is inconsistent. Sometimes he plays sometimes he doesn’t.
The Big Pickle
Nubian Pole Sitter

Post by The Big Pickle »

Kierland wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:06 pm It’s not that he sucks it’s that he is inconsistent. Sometimes he plays sometimes he doesn’t.

What do you know...you chase ambulances and young neighborhood children.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Thanks 88, you fucking POS.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

You got my full support Smackie, IN. When was the last time MGO even made an appearance in Tune Town anyway?
The Big Pickle
Nubian Pole Sitter

Post by The Big Pickle »

Jay in Phoenix wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:37 pm You got my full support Smackie, IN. When was the last time MGO even made an appearance in Tune Town anyway?
I've been to one hundred times more TuneTown then you and I was BANNED!

Jay is a FAGGOT!

Hey Smackie...want people to come to TuneTown...PLAY GOOD SONGS!

Even a pot smoking hippie can figure out the obvious...

Play good songs from Good Bands and they will come!
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

The Big Pickle wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:06 pmI have a crazy idea....

Mr. Pickle,

Thank you for your feedback. It would appear that you are among those for whom TuneTown is simply not a good fit, and that's cool. As I mentioned, it isn't, and never will be, for everybody. I'm comfortable with that, and I hope you are, too.

However, on the off-chance that I'm wrong and it actually could be an outlet you'd enjoy if only a few small tweaks were made, I'd welcome suggestions that are a bit more specific than those you've already provided. As an example, you've gone on record as saying you enjoy Tracy Chapman's music, specifically Talkin' 'bout a Revolution. If you look at last week's play list, you'll note that I played Give Me One Reason by Tracy. Is that a song that meets with your approval? Perhaps you could provide examples of songs I've played that, in your parlance, suck, and suggest alternatives that would not contain such suckitude. I make no guarantees that I'll entertain your suggestions, but one never knows unless one endeavors, right? Just trying to find whatever common ground you & I may occupy, esteemed fellow poster.

Again, your feedback is appreciated, and I look forward to further constructive dialog.

Respectfully,

SC
The Big Pickle
Nubian Pole Sitter

Post by The Big Pickle »

Smackie Chan wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:28 pm
The Big Pickle wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:06 pmI have a crazy idea....

Mr. Pickle,

Thank you for your feedback. It would appear that you are among those for whom TuneTown is simply not a good fit, and that's cool. As I mentioned, it isn't, and never will be, for everybody. I'm comfortable with that, and I hope you are, too.

However, on the off-chance that I'm wrong and it actually could be an outlet you'd enjoy if only a few small tweaks were made, I'd welcome suggestions that are a bit more specific than those you've already provided. As an example, you've gone on record as saying you enjoy Tracy Chapman's music, specifically Talkin' 'bout a Revolution. If you look at last week's play list, you'll note that I played Give Me One Reason by Tracy. Is that a song that meets with your approval? Perhaps you could provide examples of songs I've played that, in your parlance, suck, and suggest alternatives that would not contain such suckitude. I make no guarantees that I'll entertain your suggestions, but one never knows unless one endeavors, right? Just trying to find whatever common ground you & I may occupy, esteemed fellow poster.

Again, your feedback is appreciated, and I look forward to further constructive dialog.

Respectfully,

SC
Dear Smackie,

As you can recall, I was one of the few people that showed up for your TuneTown...and I was BANNED...so it was quite the feat just to show up.

Personally, I think you have one of the most incredible voices for radio...you are incredible. My only exception was the songs you choose to play. You play the songs that nobody ever heard before.....yeah...that's cool. but I don't want to be educated on songs I've NEVER heard before, I want to hear the songs I love the most!

When I say you play the worst songs from the best bands....I'm 100 percent correct!

If you want more than three people for an audience....play the BEST SONGS from the BEST BANDS!
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

The Big Pickle wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:36 pmplay the BEST SONGS from the BEST BANDS!
Since taste in music is highly subjective and varies greatly among different individuals, I will need additional information. What, in your opinion, are the best bands, and what are their best songs? Thanks!
The Big Pickle
Nubian Pole Sitter

Post by The Big Pickle »

Smackie Chan wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:46 pm
Since taste in music is highly subjective and varies greatly among different individuals, I will need additional information. What, in your opinion, are the best bands, and what are their best songs? Thanks!
Okay....since you asked...

On the Beatles HEY JUDE album....you played "old brown shoe"
Bob Marley Legend you played "Punky Reggae Party"

Just two examples but it's what you do on every great album...play the song NOBODY heard before....

I don't TUNE IN to hear the songs I've never heard before...I tune in to hear the BEST!

If you are too stupid to know what is the best....go by what sold the most records!

If you need a gauge for what is good...go by the CONSUMER! Records sold! Songs played!
Top 10
Top 100

It's not that hard to know the best songs by the best bands .....
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Hey Stanley, nobody cares what you want. Nobody cares what you think.

Kindly do fuck off.

TIA
The Big Pickle
Nubian Pole Sitter

Post by The Big Pickle »

Jay in Phoenix wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:20 am Hey Stanley, nobody cares what you want. Nobody cares what you think.

Kindly do fuck off.

TIA
Cool....

Nobody listens to Smackie Tunetown either....

I think you can kindly fukkk off too!

FUKKK OFF FAGGOT! FUKKK OFF!
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

So what? I have heard requests played on Tune Town that were songs I heard before. Smackie likes to play what were basically "throwaway/filler" tunes on albums. His schtick as it were. The question for tonight is Tune Town going on air ??
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

The Big Pickle wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:04 amI don't TUNE IN to hear the songs I've never heard before...I tune in to hear the BEST!

If you are too stupid to know what is the best....go by what sold the most records!

If you need a gauge for what is good...go by the CONSUMER! Records sold! Songs played!
Top 10
Top 100

Thank you for providing crystal clarity that TuneTown is DEFINITELY NOT for you. It never has been, nor ever will be, "All hits, all the time." There are far too many radio stations that already have that format locked down. So now that both of us are clear about our incompatibility, I wish you happy listening wherever that may occur, since it most assuredly, and by design, will NOT be TuneTown. Enjoy!
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Well, are you gonna play?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I'll take the hits, the non-hits. Whatever you got.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Wolfman wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:42 amThe question for tonight is Tune Town going on air ??
See last paragraph of 1st post in this thread.
The Big Pickle
Nubian Pole Sitter

Post by The Big Pickle »

Have fun with your ONE listener...

Even Momma Mustang won't listen to you.

So sad...

tears tines infinity!
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Kierland wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:06 pm It’s not that he sucks it’s that he is inconsistent. Sometimes he plays sometimes he doesn’t.
For the past year, that has definitely been true; more doesn't than does. For the previous nine or so years, pretty consistently did play.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

The Big Pickle wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:01 amtears tines infinity!
Cheer up, Stan. There are plenty of radio stations that can give you whatcha want. I just refuse to be one of 'em.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

smackaholic wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:55 amWell, are you gonna play?
Sure, why not? Gimme a couple minutes & I'll fire 'er up.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

As a compromise, I would like you to play alternate versions of the kinda shit that Pikkkle wants. Last week I heard a killer version of Hotel California done by the Eagles live that was all acoustic. Very messican sounding.
The Big Pickle
Nubian Pole Sitter

Post by The Big Pickle »

smackaholic wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:10 am As a compromise, I would like you to play alternate versions of the kinda shit that Pikkkle wants. Last week I heard a killer version of Hotel California done by the Eagles live that was all acoustic. Very messican sounding.
:grin: :)
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

The Big Pickle wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:13 am
smackaholic wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:10 am As a compromise, I would like you to play alternate versions of the kinda shit that Pikkkle wants. Last week I heard a killer version of Hotel California done by the Eagles live that was all acoustic. Very messican sounding.
:grin: :)
Believe I have that, and have played it before.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Jay in Phoenix wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:20 am Hey Stanley, nobody cares what you want. Nobody cares what you think.

Kindly do fuck off.

TIA
:?

:(

Jay, relax, hon. BP has a musical preference (which he's already posted here numerous times), but it's not what he's claiming in this thread... which I think means he's just busting Smackie's balls.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

The Big Pickle wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:04 am
Smackie Chan wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:46 pm
Okay....since you asked...

On the Beatles HEY JUDE album....you played "old brown shoe"
Bob Marley Legend you played "Punky Reggae Party"

Just two examples but it's what you do on every great album...play the song NOBODY heard before....

I don't TUNE IN to hear the songs I've never heard before...I tune in to hear the BEST!

Top 10
Top 100

Don't make me post a screenshot of Billboards Top 100. :lol:

Speaking of.... the record industry is notorious for putting out albums where the radio friendly single is NOT the best song on the album.

Or maybe that's just the case with R&B, hiphop, rap and soul. But I doubt it. Ever listen to an album before Napstsr/Kazaa, and wonder why your favorite song isn't the single always played? Or why the radio version sucks in comparison to the album version?
Kids today have no idea ...
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Wolfman wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:42 am So what? I have heard requests played on Tune Town that were songs I heard before. Smackie likes to play what were basically "throwaway/filler" tunes on albums. His schtick as it were. The question for tonight is Tune Town going on air ??
What are throwaway/filler tunes?

That doesn't sound like skits....
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Good selection of tunes last night, you all missed out.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
ML@Coyote
Elwood

Post by ML@Coyote »

Kim Kardashian is popular

Zdzisław Beksiński, not so much

ML
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:10 am Last week I heard a killer version of Hotel California done by the Eagles live that was all acoustic. Very messican sounding.
Man, come on. I had a rough night, and I hate the fucking Eagles, man.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Dinsdale wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:05 pm
smackaholic wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:10 am Last week I heard a killer version of Hotel California done by the Eagles live that was all acoustic. Very messican sounding.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

The Big Pickle wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:04 am

Top 10
Top 100

Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:05 pm
The Eagles opening in 2017 on a completely dark stage with an acapella version of 7 Bridges Road did not suck at all. One of my better rock concert experiences and I was not even half toasted at the time.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Try and keep up -- we've moved on to a different classic movie.