Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Risa
nubian napalm - numidian princess

Did this really happen?

Post by Risa »

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/9/24/222627/468
Bush's Speech from this past Wednesday

Ya know something we ahh.

I've been thinking a lot about how America has responded and it's clear to me that Americans value human life and value every person as important.

And that stand in stark contrast, by the way, [next clause said slowly] to the terrorists we have to deal with.

You see, we look at the destruction caused by Katrina and our hearts break. They're the kind of people who look at Katrina and wish that they had caused it [dramatic pause].

We're at war against these people.

It's a war.... [dramatic pause] on terror.

These are evil men who target the suffering [dramatic pause].

They killed 3,000 of our people on September 11, 2001 [I'm not makin' this up].

And they've continued to kill.

McLaughlin: Does that ring true?

O'Donnell: There are few Presidents in our history more lost then that.

For him to find this desperate pathway from Katrina, from lives lost because of government mishandling of the hurricane that hit New Orleans. To get a path from there to his war on terror, and somehow link the hurricane to Al Qaudia, is as large as possible flight of mental illness as we've seen in a President.

Fat Tony: Now look..

O'Donnell: There is no coherent objective to what that man said.

Eleanor: He was like a child reaching for his security blanket.

Fat Tony: Oh, lets be more respectful of the President.

O'Donnell: Why?!

Eleanor: And putting everything in the framework of terrorism is the only thing that has sustained him. Except the public is now catching on, because they feel that Katrina revealed that we are less safe, that the Department of Homeland Security doesn't work, and that this President doesn't make us safer.
[end]
This blogger's Postscript

Well, we've been through it now, for a long, long period of time.

Shrub's direct, deliberate, and evil morphing of September 11th with everything.

When I first saw Shurb's clip, I roared in laughter - it's so patently ridiculous, you'd have trouble selling it as satire. But after I stopped laughing, I became outraged and disgusted, as it reminded me of all the abuse, all the malevolency, all the exploitation of the dead and the attacks of September 11th.

It runs in the family. Prescott Bush disinterred Geronimo's remains and used them as a decorative piece for the Skull and Bones society (or whatever the fuck they call themselves).

Stop desecrating the victims. Stop devaluing and demeaning the horror of September 11th.

Stand up - be a Man. Stop using others - take responsibility for once in your life.
did anyone actually hear this (and since it's known that these shows are not spontaneous at all, who decided that it was ok to say this stuff... if it's real?)

yes, this can be moved to the political zone.
on a short leash, apparently.
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

I found it funny how it took him a few days to get to New Orleans after Katrina- but he was giving a motivational speech from Texas the same day the Rita hit.... and using these horribel natural diasters to support his "war"... horrible!
Yeah fuckers.... I'm back
Risa

Post by Risa »

88 wrote:Risa-

You are a lemming who is easily tricked into believing what you want to believe. Bush was responding to this:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/09/ ... cnn_latest

Tthe terrorists said they wished Hurricane Katrina had killed more Americans. Bush was responding to that crap, and commenting on how horrible the terrorists are.

Daily Kos and the morons who read it have no shame.
Dude, this isn't about the Daily Kos, so much as the transcript that follows after..... that dude purports to be taken directly from the McLaughlin Group.

The transcript that follows is the lynchpin.

If that's a true transcript, the McLaughlin Group wasn't buying what the president was selling, in spite of it being an answer to some dumb fucks spouting shit about Katrina being an answer to muslim prayers.

The very fact that Katrina affected the poorest of the poor up and down the coast is important. Bush didn't hit on that. Bush was not concerned with that. Bush could have made a very important, very profound statement about those evil wishers versus the reality, and how americans dealt with it.

But he didn't. Did that have to do with having to face up to the fact that many of his programs and predecessors (like daddy and daddy's president)'s programs were responsible for why those who died in Katrina and were wiped out by Katrina were devestated in the first place?

Or is he tunnel visioned to the point where even that doesn't matter, it doesn't exist, and the people don't exist?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Quit worrying/obsessing/asking inane questions about George Bush. He has no bearing on your life.

In fact, quit worrying/obsessing/asking inane questions about everything under the sun except those things which have any real bearing on your life.

Quit wasting time (both yours and especially ours) on message boards, and quit wasting your life away.

No matter who sits in the Oval Office, no matter whether you love him or hate him, your life will not change. No matter the outcome in each celebrity scandal/cause du jour you obsess over, your life will not change.

Get the fuck outta here and go do something.
Last edited by Van on Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Luther
Old Coot

Post by Luther »

Both of you need to stop. STOP.

Between the two of you, ...you made me dust this meter off. I'm not sure it even works anymore as that fucking buzzbomb/irie/DD triple-tard surge (far bigger than any storm surge) made me bring it out.

Both of you...shhhh.

Rip City

Post by Guest »

Luther, are you going to start crying, bitch? Boohoo, Van is telling Annie the truth. Deal with it!

You remind me of a teenage girl on prozac that didnt get asked to the prom, hard to believe you are a man...let alone...an ex cop. Which makes me wonder, were you one of those parking meter bitch cops?
Luther
Old Coot

Post by Luther »

Elkcip wrote:Luther, are you going to start crying, bitch? Boohoo, Van is telling Annie the truth. Deal with it!

You remind me of a teenage girl on prozac that didnt get asked to the prom, hard to believe you are a man...let alone...an ex cop. Which makes me wonder, were you one of those parking meter bitch cops?
Who the hell reads the Van/Annie chronicles anyway? Yeah, I was a meter bitch cop. I remember you, though. I crossfucked your face with my Thurman Munson ticket book, and made your Harvey White lips purse.

Rip City
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Careful Luther, you'll stir up the crickets and force Pickle back into the basement.

On second thought...
Luther
Old Coot

Post by Luther »

He's a pasy fuck as it is.

Rip City
Risa

Post by Risa »

88 wrote:
Risa wrote:The very fact that Katrina affected the poorest of the poor up and down the coast is important. Bush didn't hit on that. Bush was not concerned with that. Bush could have made a very important, very profound statement about those evil wishers versus the reality, and how americans dealt with it.
He didn't? What were you reading? Not this:
Bush wrote:I've been thinking a lot about how America has responded and it's clear to me that Americans value human life and value every person as important.

And that stand in stark contrast, by the way, to the terrorists we have to deal with.

You see, we look at the destruction caused by Katrina and our hearts break. They're the kind of people who look at Katrina and wish that they had caused it.
Yes, I did read that. And that's why I made my comment.

Bush's remarks are extremely, extremely GENERIC. They don't apply to anything. They're just words.

This is the biggest disaster in US history. More disastrous than the Twin Towers. And all he has for us is generics?

There is no mention made whatsoever of the assistance that was offered all around the world -- including from some countries that harbor 'terrorists', or have pulled the 'die American Satan' bullshit anytime in the past. There is no mention made whatsoever that the first two offers of assistance, the very first two, were from countries with which the United States is currently not on good terms (Venezuela) or outright hostile (Cuba).

No, it's still the attitude of 'us against them' and 'we're better than them'.

Hogwash.

Who was it, was it tough love or stiletto? who said that this was proof that 'they' don't hate 'our' way of life, 'they' don't hate 'us'; 'they' hate our government and those doing the governing, which is different?

Bush' words (well, his speechwriter's words) about Americans valuing every life as important are at odds with the stories that have come down from the Gulf Coast of people seeking aid, and having those cries for help ignored by the very institutions their tax dollars paid for. He makes ZERO mention -- a very good time it would have been, might I add -- of citizens shouldering what the government was supposed to and had promised to.

This would have also been a great time to re iterate how disappointed he (or his speechwriter) was with government response up and down the board -- you know, to re iterate what was said in that other speech people are continuing to down him for for appearing not to believe half of what he's mouthing, uncomfortable -- and to re-stress that there will be change made at the top.

That wasn't done, either. That is the other important omission in this section of the speech.

Instead, we get some generic 'terrorist' scare bullshit.

Terrorists don't scare me a tenth as much as this government does.
The Terrorists are that jewish dude used in the public hatings in '1984'. Whatever real damage that dude did, and continued to do, was dwarfed
by the damage done by those who used his image to obscure their own damages.

What the fuck do you want him to say? How about this:
'I have a drinking problem, and I'll be stepping down while I attend rehab. I'm sorry for the pain I've caused Laura, and the poor example I've been for Barbara and Jenna. I'm sorry for the pain I've caused you, the American people. I will come out better.

'I am sorry.'

But that's a little too brave. And Bush has never been known for his bravery, let alone accepting fault.
Risa

Post by Risa »

88 wrote: What the fuck do you want him to say? How about this:

Well-intentioned but incredibly naive and destructive social policies advanced by the left have produced generations of Americans who have grown up knowing only welfare and government subsidized housing. These Americans reside mostly in urban areas and have rejected the notion of advancing themselves through the attainment of education and through assimilation into the mainstream Amercan culture and economy. They have, through their blind faith in their corrupt leaders and the policies of handouts they preach, their shakedowns and their excuses, been subjugated to a life of poverty and helplessness. These Americans no longer help themselves in any way, and may no longer be capable of doing so. These Americans are the ones who make up a large part of the human debris scattered in Katrina's wake. It is sad, and I cry for them.

And it troubles me that in the face of the objective mountain of evidence of failed social policy (higher urban crime rate, lower urban income rate, higher urban teen pregnancy rate, higher rate of children born out of wedlock in urban areas, lower rate of academic achievement in urban areas etc.), the most affected rush to blame, in knee jerk fashion, those who do not readily hand them more and thereby perpeuate this horror, rather than those who, by their failed social policies, have handed them the very lifestyle they presently complain about.

How about that?

How about, why is the McLaughlin Group openly criticizing this speech? Why is the McLaughlin Group comfortable in criticizing this speech as harshly as they did?

They are not buying it. You are. But they aren't.

Again, that show is not spontaneous. Even the barbs are scripted (or at least cue carded).

That the McLaughlin Group could go there, with the words that are posted above, is jaw dropping to me.

That's why I asked if anyone else had seen the show. Because that's important, if they actually did say those things, about that speech, and this daily kos dude isn't making that up.

Or do you not agree?
Risa

Post by Risa »

88 wrote:I think you've been hauled in again at the end of a lib's fishing line. If that exchange occurred on the McLaughlin Group's programming, then the transcript department screwed the pooch and failed to get it on their archive of transcripts:

http://www.mclaughlin.com/index.asp
That's the index. do you have the link, again, of the actual transcript? or would it not pull up when you tried to hotlink it?

cuz it would need to be brought up at dailykos, if the transcript doesn't show anything of what dude above had written.
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

rack 88

the board punching bag(ibcunt) gets beatdown yet again.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

RACK!!!!! A month of this shit and we are all tired of it.
Cross Traffic
Eternal Scobode

Post by Cross Traffic »

I'm done with this. Arguing with you and your ilk is like playing that game where you bash gophers on the head with a mallet. No matter how hard you bash them, they keep popping back up, just as dopey as they were the last time you whacked them. Take some advice. Make yourself a cool glass of iced tea. Sit out on your patio or deck, and enjoy the air and the sun, and stop worrying about how George Bush is fucking up your life. He's not. You are.
Well said!!!
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Post by Mississippi Neck »

BBMarley wrote:I found it funny how it took him a few days to get to New Orleans after Katrina- but he was giving a motivational speech from Texas the same day the Rita hit....

You do see the diff between going into the disaster zone itself (New Orleans) and going into the same state (TX)? Bush wasn't in Port Arthur giving his motivational speech..where his security concerns alone would hamper the relief effort
maverick. maverick. maverick. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Mississippi Neck wrote:
BBMarley wrote:I found it funny how it took him a few days to get to New Orleans after Katrina- but he was giving a motivational speech from Texas the same day the Rita hit....
You do see the diff between going into the disaster zone itself (New Orleans) and going into the same state (TX)? Bush wasn't in Port Arthur giving his motivational speech..where his security concerns alone would hamper the relief effort
When Katrina hit, Bush was clearing Brush in Crawford. We can't expect him to interupt important brush clearing details for every little piddly hurricane that destroys an American city.
Risa

Post by Risa »

88 wrote:And, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if it actually was on McLaughlin Group. First off, Eleanor Clift hates Bush, and would twist any sentence the man utters into something unintended. And the rest of the panel has a similar lean.
:? and her official reasoning is?

does she have a point, you can admit to?
is it against the man or the policies?
88 wrote:
Risa wrote:How about, why is the McLaughlin Group openly criticizing this speech? Why is the McLaughlin Group comfortable in criticizing this speech as harshly as they did?
Because Americans volunteer to serve in our armed forces and, through their service, protect the rights of idiots to demonstrate that they are idiots.
but americans don't volunteer in order to become the personal bodyguards of private companies.

i'll bet they also didn't volunteer to make sure that oil records were kept as safe as possible, as guarded as possible, while everything else could be bombed to hell and back, during the opening days of the 2nd Gulf War.

as for National Guardsmen... particularly those in the Gulf States, should they have been home, or in Iraq?

the National Guardsmen are for domestic issues; why were they dipped into in the first place? especially since this was a pre-emptive strike against Iraq, not a battle someone made against us and we needed to dip into reserves in order to bolster our defenses.

we're on the offense over there. again, why dip into the guard for an offensive gesture?
Risa

Post by Risa »

88 wrote:
Risa wrote:
88 wrote:I think you've been hauled in again at the end of a lib's fishing line. If that exchange occurred on the McLaughlin Group's programming, then the transcript department screwed the pooch and failed to get it on their archive of transcripts:

http://www.mclaughlin.com/index.asp
That's the index. do you have the link, again, of the actual transcript? or would it not pull up when you tried to hotlink it?

cuz it would need to be brought up at dailykos, if the transcript doesn't show anything of what dude above had written.
Bush's speech was given on September 21, 2005. The most recent transcript I could find on McLaughlin was September 16, 2005. Maybe the September 23, 2005 show has been transcripted somewhere else. I don't know. It is not on McLaughlin.

But who really cares?
I do.

I feel uncomfortable now. You make this statement:

"I think you've been hauled in again at the end of a lib's fishing line. If that exchange occurred on the McLaughlin Group's programming, then the transcript department screwed the pooch and failed to get it on their archive of transcripts:"

as if to say that, yes, the dailykos writer was indeed full of shit with his version of the transcript. I was 'hauled in again at the end of a lib's fishing line', meaning I was presented with something false in order to make Bush look bad. you follow it up with a comment that makes it appear that those lines written by the dailykos writer never appeared on that show, because they're not in the official archive.

you give the hotlink for the index of the actual transcripts as your proof, a proof of a 'lib's fishing line', and a proof that it never happened.

You don't say anything about the very last transcript being dated a week before the show in question.

A simple 'the last transcript here [insert hotlink to the archive] is dated September 16th, 2005; just give it time for the new transcript of the September 23rd show addressing the September 21st speech to be uploaded'...

would have sufficed, counselor, instead of making your own twists against 'liberal fishing lines' and bizarroworld Eleanor Clift hatreds, you know?

The snippet on Daily Kos is a twist of what Bush said to the Republican Jewish Coalition. There is no way to slice it, other than it was a cheap shot against Bush. Again.
And yet, there's no way to tell without the actual transcript to see what they themselves also said IN TOTALITY.

You want us, you want me to take Bush's words in their totality. Why not the McLaughlin Group?

Again, they didn't buy it. You're saying it's because they've already demonstrated an anti-Bush/anti-administration bias in the past, though?
I'm done with this. Arguing with you and your ilk is like playing that game where you bash gophers on the head with a mallet.
They always slip down before you can make contact?
Variable
Untitled

Post by Variable »

When Katrina hit, Bush was clearing Brush in Crawford. We can't expect him to interupt important brush clearing details for every little piddly hurricane that destroys an American city.
Not only has he taken damn near every other week off since 2000, but even when something catastrophic happens, he refuses to end his vacation until he's finishes the 15,000 piece Big Ben puzzle.

Because of this, Bush has KILLED Presidential mini-vacations for probably the next four or five sitting Presidents.
Risa

Post by Risa »

Mississippi Neck wrote:

Texas is his home. Not a photo op.

He wouldn't have made photo ops in the Gulf Coast except for the horror of what was being shown on television.

Besides, he was apparently adamant as hell that he WOULD be in Texas. Then that same day, he has to retract... the words are retracted for him, that the president would not be in the way.

How the fuck can a president be in the way?

He's the president.

Those words are disturbing because they show he's been in the bubble too long.

He's afraid of his own people. His own home state. Does that not bother you?

He was elected with a Mandate from the American People. His words. His administration's words. His followers words. And yet he can't be seen with them, with that mandate, unless it's a carefully controlled, carefully orchestrated photo op?

Again, does that not bother you?

People needed to see him. He apparently wanted to go. Somebody higher up (yeah, I know, but that's all there is to it, somebody higher up) but the kibosh on it.

I guess you can't make a 2 hour setup and speech pretending to get gas to cars stalled in a parking lot, then pack up clean as a whistle --

the same as was done in New Orleans, and Mississippi --

because folks might get a tad angry that they were being used, and that all that shit used as props... were only props. There was no real help.

The problem with photo ops is the number of witnesses to the photo ops.

I think that's the real reason, even moreso than the flabbergastery of the official reason (!) being that sunshine wouldn't convey to the American people the fact that the president was dealing with an approaching hurricane.

The set was more important than the people, AP. It disturbs. I don't know why it doesn't disturb you.
Mississippi Neck
I'm your Huckleberry

Post by Mississippi Neck »

Risa wrote:

How the fuck can a president be in the way?

He's the president.

Those words are disturbing because they show he's been in the bubble too long.

He's afraid of his own people. His own home state. Does that not bother you?
As one who has been there, I don't give a shit if a politician comes for photo ops and for a shoulder to cry on...you wanna help? really? Then give me a case of water, a bag of ice, a box of crackers, a jar of peanut butter and get the fuck outta here....and make room for the power company guys. Otherwise, you're wasting my time.

How can a President be in the way? Think of the security concerns that have to be taken, air space cleared, areas secured, etc., etc.....the fact that you cant figure that out would disturb me if it wasnt all so predictable.
maverick. maverick. maverick. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush. 8 yrs of Bush.