Rice calls it a career.

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Rice calls it a career.

Post by Cicero »

Classy player who out worked everyone in the NFL for 20 years. Wish he would have decided this 2-3 years ago.
GreginPG
Eternal Scobode

Post by GreginPG »

Yep it's official...

DENVER (AP) - Unwilling to be a bit player with the Broncos, Jerry Rice retired Monday, closing a 20-year career for the most productive receiver in NFL history.

Rice, 42, made his decision over the weekend at home in San Francisco, then returned to Broncos headquarters and met with coach Mike Shanahan. He played 20 NFL seasons.

"This is a happy day," he said. "I think the tears that you see basically is that I have really enjoyed this ride.

"I'm done. I'm looking forward to the next phase of my life."

Shanahan confirmed what Rice already knew - that he would be a fourth or fifth receiver, at best this season - and Rice confirmed what many figured - that he would rather call it quits than be a bit player with the Broncos.

I agree with you. Wish he would have considered this 2-3 years ago as well. Hard for athletes like him to let go especially when they think they can still ball. You wonder if not for the knee injury...
FIGHT ON!
Cosmo Kramer
Troublemaker
Location: Smack dab in the middle of a fucking immigration free-for-all

Post by Cosmo Kramer »

A sad day for football fans.

JR is a class act and he will be missed.

Props to the baddest WR EVER!
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Now Jerry will have plenty of time for "deep tissue massages".
KUTTER
Reads more, posts less

Post by KUTTER »

So?

Sin,

Every FF fan
Now pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the fucking car.

Post by Guest »

This means Darius Watts had better get his shit together fast.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

icantstopfarting wrote:This means Darius Watts had better get his shit together fast.
He couldn't beat out a 42 year old guy with a bad foot. He ought to just give up now and kill himself.
KUTTER
Reads more, posts less

Post by KUTTER »

BSmack wrote:
icantstopfarting wrote:This means Darius Watts had better get his shit together fast.
He couldn't beat out a 42 year old guy with a bad foot. He ought to just give up now and kill himself.

Neither could we.

Sin,

Ron and Nicole
Now pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the fucking car.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
Greatest.

Football.

Player.

EVER.

Who?

Sincerely,

The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

Joe in PB wrote:
KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
Greatest.

Football.

Player.

EVER.

Who?

Sincerely,

Say what?

signed,
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

A few more names to throw in the stew...

Deacon Jones
Reggie White
Joe Greene
Jim Brown
Red
Elwood

Post by Red »

BSmack wrote:A few more names to throw in the stew...

Deacon Jones
Reggie White
Joe Greene
Jim Brown
The fact that you name three defensive linemen nullifies your argument. You can't even say which one of them was the best at the position.

Ask any football fan who the best receiver in NFL history was and he'll say "Jerry Rice." Second-best isn't even within a mile. The same cannot be said for any other position/player in history.

Rack Jerry Rice.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Red wrote:
BSmack wrote:A few more names to throw in the stew...

Deacon Jones
Reggie White
Joe Greene
Jim Brown
The fact that you name three defensive linemen nullifies your argument. You can't even say which one of them was the best at the position.

Ask any football fan who the best receiver in NFL history was and he'll say "Jerry Rice." Second-best isn't even within a mile. The same cannot be said for any other position/player in history.

Rack Jerry Rice.
Don Hutson

Next?
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

RACK that pic, Joe.

:lol:

Btw, yes........be good for a fan of the sport to look up Don Hutson and read a little about him and his career.

Hutson was a friggin' STUD.
d-townmike
"Q-Town"

Post by d-townmike »

I lost respect for JR when he left the 49ers and when he mistakenly signed with the Broncos, I still didn't have respect for him.

There was no way Shanny was going get him anything higher than 4th string especially when his paycheck is league minimum.

Hate to say this, but good f-in riddance, Rice!
Don't blame me, I voted for Trump
kcdave wrote:kicked my own ass many times
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote: Greatest.

Football.

Player.

EVER.
He isn't the best player ever, but he is definately in top five. How many records has he broken, 36?
Otis wrote: RACK Harper.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:Image

Greatest.

Football.

Player.

EVER.
You can't mention him ^ without mentioning him:

Red
Elwood

Post by Red »

BSmack wrote:
Red wrote:Ask any football fan who the best receiver in NFL history was and he'll say "Jerry Rice." Second-best isn't even within a mile. The same cannot be said for any other position/player in history.

Rack Jerry Rice.
Don Hutson

Next?
Don Hutson. Hall of Famer. Great receiver. 488 catches, 7991 yards, 99 touchdowns, held 18 major records at the time of his retirement.

Jerry Rice. 1549 catches, 22895 yards, 197 touchdowns, holds 38 career records.

Thanks for proving my point.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Hutson was a DOMINANT player, revolutionizing the receiver position.

Even after he revolutionized the position, nobody matched his level of excellence for decades.
His 99 TDs stood as an NFL record for over 40 yrs.

He was a two-time league MVP.
No other receiver has done that.

Rice won one MVP, but it was not an AP MVP.
In '87, Rice won the Pro Football Writers Association of America, Newspaper Enterprise Association, Maxwell Club of Philadelphia MVP's, but Horseface Elway was voted the AP MVP.

Hutson was a 60 minute-a-game player, playing safety on defense.
Think about that.

Comparing Hutson and Rice is apples and oranges.

The game is not played the same now as it was in Hutson's era.

Looking strictly at numbers, yes, Rice dwarfs Hutson, but only the simple minded would choose to look at it with that narrow view.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Best NFL thread ever!

I remember Jerry's first NFL game where he dropped just about ever pass thrown to him, and the fans were a sayin' how bad he was, and how Walsh fucked up by picking him.

:lol:

Ahhhhhh The good ole' days.....

Now it's time to nurse a hangover. :x

m2
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

KC Tard 3.0 wrote: Greatest.

Football.

Player.

EVER.
poptart wrote:Looking strictly at numbers, yes, Rice dwarfs Hutson, but only the simple minded would choose to look at it with that narrow view.
Point made.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
UcantSpellCarlosLeeStyle!

Post by UcantSpellCarlosLeeStyle! »

jiminphilly wrote:
KC Paul 3.0 wrote:Image

Greatest.

Football.

Player.

EVER.
You can't mention him ^ without mentioning him:

You have it backwards, idiot. You can't mention Montana or Young without mentioning the best player of all-time.

You know that Young and Rice was the most prolific QB/WR combo of all-time, right?

I'm thinking Rice made them what they were and not the other way around...
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

UcantSpellCarlosLeeStyle! wrote: You have it backwards, idiot. You can't mention Montana or Young without mentioning the best player of all-time.
No, I'm quite sure I have it correct.
You know that Young and Rice was the most prolific QB/WR combo of all-time, right?
Yes. what kind of stupid fucking question is that?
I'm thinking ...
Your first mistake.

Montana had a clearly established repuation long before Rice came long. That being said, Rice is the best NFL WR of all time but, in my lifetime, Montana is the best I ever saw.
UcantSpellCarlosLeeStyle!

Post by UcantSpellCarlosLeeStyle! »

jiminphilly wrote:Yes. what kind of stupid fucking question is that?
If you think it's stupid, then you obviously don't "get it". If Montana was "The Best" and Young and Rice were "better"... than maybe Montana wasn't the best. Maybe Young was. You can argue the point to death... but who in the fuck is the common denominator? = Jerry fucking Rice. Do you see where this is headed?

Are you going to bore me with the Rice-less SB win over the Bengals? If so, I got something for ya...
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

mvscal wrote:
Hapday wrote:He isn't the best player ever,
Who is better?
MV, Hapday is a fucking Canadian-beleive me when I tell you that nobody pays attention to what this twat says. At all. Saying he's a fucking moron is an insult to the word itself.

RACK Pop

and Jim, while I consider Montana far and Away to be the best QB ever, Rice helped make him that great by being such a great, great reciever.

We're talking about a guy who still had a serious impact in his position up until 2 years ago. No matter how you spin it, that is fucking amazing.

RACK Rice-he was a first ballot hall of famer 10 years ago.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

mvscal wrote:
Hapday wrote:He isn't the best player ever,
Who is better?
Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Dick Butkus, and Johnny Unitas. Rice is mixed in with these guys and is probably a very close #2, but Brown gets the nod for me. If you want to say Rice is the best NFL player of all time, I am not going to completely disagree with that.
Last edited by Hapday on Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Raydah James wrote:
MV, Hapday is a fucking Canadian-beleive me when I tell you that nobody pays attention to what this twat says. At all. Saying he's a fucking moron is an insult to the word itself.
Yeah Lames. Everyone on this board can't wait for your has-been Lamaze coach ass to start posting your annual August claims of a Faider Super Bowl win. But hey, you right 20 years ago. It could happen again. Keep swinging champ.
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

Rice epitomized the WCO . He is one of the constants that a lot of HCs now ( Homlgren , Shanahan , Gruden , etc. ) saw firsthand in Rice as the prototypical WR in the WCO operates . Rice isn't a speedy Tin Brown . He just ran perfectly timed routes , with Swiss watch precision . He put Montana and Young in the HOF . That is why he is the best football player ever .

Hutson and Brown didn't have a complex offense as Rice did .

Rice made Steve Bono look good ! :shock:
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Greatest Player of All-Time Ranking (courtesy of Who Gives a Fuck Magazine)

1 - Rice
2 - Payton
3 - Brown
4 - Montana
5 - LT
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

drummer wrote: He put Montana and Young in the HOF . That is why he is the best football player ever .
Whether or not Rice is the best player of all time is debatable but this ^ statement shows what a stupid fuck you are. Montana was already showing signs of greatness before Rice came along.

There is no doubt that Rice is the best WR of all time but Montana's accuracy on the slant passes allowed Jerry to catch in stride and turn those passes into long gains. Montana also controlled the huddle like no other QB.
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

jiminphilly wrote:
drummer wrote: He put Montana and Young in the HOF . That is why he is the best football player ever .
Whether or not Rice is the best player of all time is debatable but this ^ statement shows what a stupid fuck you are. Montana was already showing signs of greatness before Rice came along.

There is no doubt that Rice is the best WR of all time but Montana's accuracy on the slant passes allowed Jerry to catch in stride and turn those passes into long gains. Montana also controlled the huddle like no other QB.
True , but Rice's performance against the Bengals during that epic last drive in the SB helped get #3 , and 2 of the more prolific passing tandems were :

Montana to Rice .

Young to Rice ( which Manning and Harrison will shatter this season ) .

Maybe you can tell me how Rice was never a factor in 3 championships .
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

drummer wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:

True , but Rice's performance against the Bengals during that epic last drive in the SB helped get #3 , and 2 of the more prolific passing tandems were :

Montana to Rice .

Again, Rice is perhaps the best receiver of all time but it's not like he was playing jump ball his whole career. He was fortunate to have 2 qb's who were also extremely accurate with their throws that allowed Jerry to never break stride.

Maybe you can tell me how Montana and Young were never a factor in 3 championships? Did Rice throw himself the ball and catch it?
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

jiminphilly wrote:
drummer wrote:
jiminphilly wrote: Whether or not Rice is the best player of all time is debatable but this ^ statement shows what a stupid fuck you are. Montana was already showing signs of greatness before Rice came along.

Montana to Rice .

Again, Rice is perhaps the best receiver of all time but it's not like he was playing jump ball his whole career. He was fortunate to have 2 qb's who were also extremely accurate with their throws that allowed Jerry to never break stride.

Maybe you can tell me how Montana and Young were never a factor in 3 championships? Did Rice throw himself the ball and catch it?
Look , I'm not slagging Montana or Young . Montana was the greatest QB I've ever seen play , Young was the guttiest and most courageous I've seen , but Rice was the best I've even seen period . He went to his 4th championship with Oakland . Had some epic games with Gannon as QB . When Rice left SF , they basically stopped winning . Not just because of Rice , but his play in Oakland showed he had a few years left in the tank .