Eagles Cut Corey Simon

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Eagles Cut Corey Simon

Post by jiminphilly »

I'm a bit surprised by this and a little concerned about the depth on the line but Simon's contract demands were outlandish so no trade could ever go through. He was due to make $5 mill as a franchise player this year.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com
August 28, 2005
By CHRIS McPHERSON

The Eagles announced Sunday night that they have withdrawn the franchise tag on defensive tackle Corey Simon, meaning that he is now an unrestricted free agent.
"We appreciate all that Corey has done for this organization over the last five years," said head coach Andy Reid in a statement. "With the great amount of depth and talent we have along the defensive line, we chose to give Corey an opportunity to sign with another team."

DT Simon never signed the tender that would have guaranteed him over $5 million this season

Simon, the team's first-round draft pick and the No. 6 overall selection in 2000, was given the franchise tag in the off-season, meaning he could not sign with another team unless that team were to surrender two first-round draft picks as compensation.

By being given the franchise tag, which was done Feb. 10, Simon would have made the equivalent of the top five paid defensive tackles in the league in 2005 - which would have been approximately $5.1 million.

At the time the tag was placed, head coach Andy Reid was happy with that decision.

"As I said earlier this week, Corey's a good player and his personality fits very well in our locker room," said Reid in February. "He's a talented player against the pass and against the run. We're happy to take this step to keep him in Philadelphia."

However, Simon never signed the tender and did not report to any of the team's mini-camps or training camp.

There were published reports that Simon would come in the week of the season opener, but that will never be known. There were also published reports that Simon had been traded by the Eagles, but Simon and the other team involved could not agree on compensation.

In Simon's place, Darwin Walker has teamed up with Hollis Thomas as the starters at the defensive tackle position. Off the bench has been first-round draft pick Mike Patterson, who has been stellar (two sacks in the preseason).

The play of the other tackles has helped defensive coordinator Jim Johnson not worry about Simon's presence.

"I think we are playing pretty good defense right now. To say I wish Corey was not here, no I wish he was here, but he's not here and I said it before, we just move on," Johnson said. "It's an opportunity for those other guys that are playing pretty well. We are just going to see what happens with Corey. I have no idea."

In his five seasons as an Eagle, Simon amassed 270 tackles and 35 sacks. He set the rookie record for sacks with 9.5 in 2000. Simon was named to the 2004 Pro Bowl after posting 64 tackles and 7.5 sacks in the 2003 season.
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

The Redskins will be a signin him within the next couple of days. Watch.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

The Assassin wrote:The Redskins will be a signin him within the next couple of days. Watch.
Do they have at least $6-$7 mill to pay him this year?
The Assassin
Raider Fan

Post by The Assassin »

jiminphilly wrote:
The Assassin wrote:The Redskins will be a signin him within the next couple of days. Watch.
Its Danny boy. He'll sign him regardless of cap space. They'll just cut a bunch of quality role players in the process.
Al Davis=Fidel Castro
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:From Simon's agent:

"The good thing is that Corey is a free man, but the bad thing is the timing," agent Roosevelt Barnes said. "He's young, healthy and an excellent player at a 'need' position, so Corey will find a new home. But if the Eagles knew they were going to take the tag off, they should have done it sooner than this, OK? It makes it look like they waited until the last minute, right before the start of the season, just to screw with him. Maybe they feel like it limits his options. But, hey, he'll be all right."

That's what he gets for screwing with Andy Reid and Joe Banner. Props to the Eagles.
The ball was in Simon's court. The tender was made. He refused to sign it which let him sit out minicamp till he was ready to sign. The Eagles D line has looked very good this preseason (and the drafting of Peterson was done to cover for the Simon loss NEXT year but he has surprised the staff with how quickly he has picked up the defensive scheme.) Corey Simon tried to play the system and he fucked with the wrong team.

Next.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Simon should have talked to Trotter. I have a feeling he's going to regret what is, in essence, being cut by the Eagles. Like Trotter, I doubt he'll have the same level of success elsewhere.
G.O.
Elwood

Post by G.O. »

The Assassin wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:
Its Danny boy. He'll sign him regardless of cap space. They'll just cut a bunch of quality role players in the process.
right. cuz they went friggin nuts in free agency this year. :roll:
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

Why are you concerned about the depth at DT Jim? I heard the Kegels have 5 quality guys for that position. Props to the Kegels for showing that no man is greater than the team.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

DallasFanatic wrote:Why are you concerned about the depth at DT Jim? I heard the Kegels have 5 quality guys for that position. Props to the Kegels for showing that no man is greater than the team.
Injuries. The Eagles have been plagued with injuries along that line for the past few years and it would have been nice to have one more guy on that line who can play.
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

jiminphilly wrote:
DallasFanatic wrote:Why are you concerned about the depth at DT Jim? I heard the Kegels have 5 quality guys for that position. Props to the Kegels for showing that no man is greater than the team.
Injuries. The Eagles have been plagued with injuries along that line for the past few years and it would have been nice to have one more guy on that line who can play.
They can always go after one ofl the players the Browns cut... Oh wait- I forgot the Donkeys already did that
Yeah fuckers.... I'm back
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Post by DallasFanatic »

One thing I do know is that Corey Simon has been a pain in the ass for the Cowboys offensive line for the past 4 or 5 years. I'm sure another name will take his place, but one can always dream.

8)
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:From Simon's agent:

"The good thing is that Corey is a free man, but the bad thing is the timing," agent Roosevelt Barnes said. "He's young, healthy and an excellent player at a 'need' position, so Corey will find a new home. But if the Eagles knew they were going to take the tag off, they should have done it sooner than this, OK? It makes it look like they waited until the last minute, right before the start of the season, just to screw with him. Maybe they feel like it limits his options. But, hey, he'll be all right."

That's what he gets for screwing with Andy Reid and Joe Banner. Props to the Eagles.
Makes you wonder just how fucking stupid Roosevelt Barnes is- It's a given that he's not much brighter than Corey Simon, who happens to be the same approximate IQ as a 81 Volvo Station Wagon.

You try to screw the team and then you're shocked that they would screw your client in return. Not even jtr is that dense
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..

Post by Guest »

Ya gotta respect the Eagles organization.

The message they sent was crystal clear.

Cutting a top ten draft pick who has produced and is still young takes a major set of stones. Time well tell whether or not this was a stupid move but for now I'm impressed with Reid.

What other NFL teams would have the balls to do this?

Not many.

I say rack Reid for being a fucking badass and having enough job security to pull something like this.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

mvscal wrote:
icantstopfarting wrote:I say rack Reid for being a fucking badass and having enough job security to pull something like this.
It isn't his call. I'm sure he has input, but Joe Banner runs the cap in Philly.
No, it's Reid's call. Banner just crunches the numbers for Reid. Reid has control like Holmgren did. He's just better at it.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Lions need a edge rusher badly. If they can cut a few veteran contracts, they can take a run at him.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

... but what he really wants to do is carry the rock*

*1st & last time I will use that word instead of "football" or "pigskin". Whoever coined that phrase should be dragged through the desert behind a horse until there's nothing left to drag
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

mvscal wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:Banner just crunches the numbers for Reid.
Is that all? :roll:

Banner does the negotiating and manages the cap. Reid just picks the players.

Simon's demands don't fit into the Eagles' cap strategy...that's Banner's call.
Yes, thats all.

Make no mistake about it, Andy Reid has complete control over the team. If he wants a player he tells Banner to find a way to fit him under the cap. (ie..TO) Fortunately for Banner, Reid's system is one that is built around key players at a few positions and role players with depth at others. Corey Simon would only have been here for this year had he signed the tender. The drafting of Mike Patterson was proof of that. And Patterson's play in preseason made it a lot easier for the Eagles to decide to take away the franchise tag on Simon and use that $6 mill elsewhere.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

mvscal wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:Make no mistake about it, Andy Reid has complete control over the team.
Wrong.
:roll: :roll:

Ok. I believe you.

(you really have no clue about how the Eagles are run.. trust me)
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:
EDIT: I've seen this on ESPN before- Andy Reid is JUDGE, JURY, and EXECUTIONER of the Eagles. Joe Banner merely carries out what Reid asks him to.
Yep-saw that too. RACK the Eagles for not budging.....i've gained quite a bit of respect for that organization and how they are handling things with bitch crybaby players.

MV, this is a much different forum here than that shithole you incessantly run your cocksucker on called main street. You better Know what the fuck you're talking about before slamming submit in here, or you will be buttfucked in the mouth time and again.

As it stands, you're 0 for this thread.

Shut the fuck up, sit the fuck back, and speak on something when you actually know it...

Fucking dickbag.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Shoalzie wrote:The Lions need a edge rusher badly. If they can cut a few veteran contracts, they can take a run at him.
How could I have missed this fucking gem?

Shoalz, you're a certified fucking moron-then again, what else can one expect from lionfan dipshits?

So how many TD's did your WR Harrington catch last night? Did Mike Williams have any interceptions or knockdowns?

Fucking idiot.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

mvscal wrote:
KC Paul 3.0 wrote:I don't give a FUCK what their individual titles are, Andy Reid at the end of the day IS Joe Banner's boss. PERIOD.
Sincerely,

Burger-flipping Fatass
You really are this fucking stupid.

Get the fuck out of this thread you ignorant bitch-you've offered exactly nothing to this conversation and have served as nothing more than an NFL court jester for me to piss on at will.

Thanks for the laughs, dumbfuck.

Now try actually knowing about a sport before posting on it you sloppy one sentence drive by twat.

and RACK paul for being right on in the Eagles/Ried department. He has much more power than most fair-weather faggot cunts who occasionally watch football would ever know.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Since its obvious you're a pathetic attention starved bitch who needs to be right ever time his choco chute bangers slam submit, i'll put it in plain black and white:

On paper it reads like this:

Joe Banner: President/COO

Andy Reid: Head Coach/VP of Ops

In real fucking life and the NFL world, it reads like this:

Joe Banner: Suit, number cruncher, cap management

Andy Reid: Makes every fucking football decision regarding team-from plays to practices to cutting and bringing in players. Joe's job is to fit them in the cap space and nail down contracts......Reid dictates everything else.

Now fuck off you pussy assed fairweather fan bitch.
drummer
Give the drummer some

Post by drummer »

Here in SF , Nolan has the same kind of control Belechick has : he has the ultimate decision of personnel , make every decision football related , and is ultimately responsible for the team . Even though the FO is involved with the process , the final decisions are Nolan's . He sets the tone of what the product will be like on the field .

Maybe a big reason why York is spending more money now .
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Raydah James wrote: Andy Reid: Makes every fucking football decision regarding team-from plays to practices to cutting and bringing in players. Joe's job is to fit them in the cap space and nail down contracts......Reid dictates everything else.
Absolutely correct.........

mvs just can't seem to get past "Titles"
get out, get out while there's still time
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Felix wrote: mvs just can't seem to get past "Titles"
That and he's a certified fucking idiot on anything football related.

I'll enjoy beating his ass like a drum very often this season if he's stupid enough to make an appearance.

Drummer, it might take quite a few years for the 9ers to compete, but hiring Nolan was a great start.

Felix, I cant believe coach teflon still has a job in Denver-ANY other team would've fired that motherfucker by now. This year will be his ultimate fall.

And who the fuck is currently looking at Simon? What is this bitch really asking for moneywise?
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Raydah James wrote:
Felix, I cant believe coach teflon still has a job in Denver-ANY other team would've fired that motherfucker by now. This year will be his ultimate fall.
It almost seems like he's adopted the attitude of "if I'm going down, I'm taking everylast one of you son's-a-bitches with me".

I'm convinced he's in possesion of photos of Pat Bowlen in a comprimising position with a some farm animal--no other way to explain it.........
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Final question for you mvscal since you seem to think you know so much about a team by reading their media guide.

If Banner truly has final call on all player personel decisions then you must believe that if Andy Reid wanted TO's contract renegotiated, it would still be Banner's call not Reid's.

That's where your arguement falls apart. The main part of any new NFL contract is the first 3 years. Knowing Owens history, you really think Andy Reid wanted to be locked into this headcase for 3 years or do you think he realized that if Owens started acting up he could sever ties with him after 2 with no real harm to the team?

Banner doesn't have to deal with Owens like Reid does. That's why Reid has final say on him and any other player.

I'm sure when the decision was made to pursue Owens that Reid told Banner, find a way for us to be able to sever ties after 2 years in case this guy becomes unbearable. Banner, being the expert negotiater pulled the wool over the eyes of Owens' former agent and got him to agree to 2 only years of guaranteed money. It's well documented how Owens' former agent was a screw up.

But if you want to stick your 'titles mean everything' argument then so be it. But in the meantime, try thinking outside your small fucking box.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

jiminphilly wrote: That's where your arguement falls apart.
No, his argument falls apart because he truly believes that Andy Reid is going to put his coaching future into the hands of some suit.

There's simply no hope for the clueless......
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

mvscal wrote: If Reid really does run the entire team...why the fuck isn't he President and COO.
Because Lurie doesn't want Reid being bogged down with picking out the food vendor or to be concerned about the upkeep of the stadium. He wants him to focus on creating a winning football team.

Found this article from 2004. From what you said earlier, It was Banner's job hire/fire/maintain his staff. Where is Banner's quote stating how good of a VP Reid is? Reid is his underling after all so the president of the organization should certainly be quoted, right? Or is it because Reid reports to Lurie as does Banner?? Thought so.

Eagles Extend Coach's Contract Four Years
By Rob Maaddi
AP Sports Writer

Published: Sep 08, 2004 11:47 PM EST

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Andy Reid sold hot dogs to supplement his income as an assistant coach at San Francisco State 20 years ago.

Reid can afford to buy out that hot dog vendor now.

The coach received a four-year contract extension from the Philadelphia Eagles on Wednesday that will take him through the 2010 season.

Reid, entering his sixth season in Philadelphia, has led the Eagles to three consecutive NFC championship games, but no Super Bowls. He is in the third year of a $15 million, six-year contract signed in June 2001.

Reid's extension reportedly is worth more than $4.2 million per season.

"I'm very humbled," said Reid, who was given the title of executive vice president of football operations in 2001. "I'm a firm believer that it's not one person, but I'm fortunate to have great coaches and surrounding staff. Everybody has a part of this."

Reid's .638 winning percentage in the regular season (51-29) and his five playoff victories are the best in team history. He's just the third coach in franchise history to last more than five seasons, joining Greasy Neale (1941-50) and Dick Vermeil (1976-82).

"You must have leadership from the top," Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said. "Andy has been a terrific leader. He understands the salary cap, understands making very difficult and unpopular decisions for the betterment of the franchise." :roll: yeah, it's all Banners call. Not Reid's.

Reid, 46, joined the Eagles in 1999 as a little-known assistant who worked under Mike Holmgren for seven seasons in Green Bay. He took over a team coming off a 3-13 season that was considered a laughingstock in the NFL.

One of Reid's first and most important decisions was unpopular at the time, but turned out to be a brilliant move. He selected quarterback Donovan McNabb with the second overall pick of the '99 draft — Eagles fans wanted recently retired running back Ricky Williams.

McNabb quickly developed into one of the best quarterbacks in the league, and has been to the Pro Bowl four straight years.

"It's exciting to know he will be here," McNabb said. "Now we can put this behind us and move forward."

The Eagles finished 5-11 in Reid's first season. But they quickly turned it around, going 11-5 and winning a playoff game in 2000. They began a streak of three consecutive NFC East titles in 2001.

"Nobody could be more deserving," Lurie said. "It was tough even getting him to attend this news conference. It's just not his thing in terms of talking about himself. This man has led this franchise in a spectacular way over the last several years and will be doing so for the next several years."

Reid earned the NFL Coach of the Year award in 2002 after leading the Eagles to a 12-4 record, despite losing McNabb for the regular season after the 10th game and backup quarterback Koy Detmer the following week.

But the Eagles lost the NFC title game 27-10 to Tampa Bay in the final football game at Veterans Stadium.

Reid again led the Eagles to a 12-4 record last season, despite numerous injuries, including ones that forced three Pro Bowl members of the secondary to miss a total of 21 games. But the Eagles again couldn't take advantage of playing the NFC title game at home, losing 14-3 to the Carolina Panthers.

Asked if he could be considered a great coach if he doesn't win a Super Bowl, Reid said: "I'll let you guys determine that. Go easy on me."

Reid and team president Joe Banner said there was no urgency to sign an extension. They wouldn't have discussed it once the season started.

"From a negotiation standpoint, it was a 24-hour process," Banner said. "It was either do it now or next winter. We all knew we'd do it sooner or later."

A former offensive lineman at Brigham Young, Reid began his coaching career at his alma mater in 1982 as a graduate assistant. He coached the offensive line and was offensive coordinator at San Francisco State from 1983-85 and worked at Northern Arizona, Texas-El Paso and Missouri before joining the Packers in 1992.
Seems pretty clear to me that once Reid was given full control of the TEAM he worked with Banner to bring in players he wanted, allowing Joe to structure the contracts but the ultimate decision still resided with Reid.

As for who hired Reid, it was Banner and Lurie. The history goes as follows-

Lurie buys teams, hires long time business friend Banner to run team. Tom Modrak was hired as head of player personel. After firing Ray Rhodes they interview a few candidates but they both decide on Reid. Check out the quote from this article:

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/ ... 25055.html

"
I remember leaving the room and Joe and I looked at each other and I don't remember exactly who said it, but we both just said, 'This is exactly the guy we want,' " Lurie recalled. "It was pretty clear almost from the moment the interview started that he was an outstanding candidate.

"Not to denigrate the other candidates, but when we were done, there was no discussion between Joe and me. It was that clear."
After he was hired and showed some success. Modrak was fired, Reid was given complete control over the team and player personel decisions (his title eventually changed). To this day Reid still has complete control over the team with Banner lending his expertise in contract negotiations.

End of fucking story.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

mvslurpcock-what the fuck is your point exactly in this thread? Are you ever going to give a fucking assessment on what you think of this entire simon situation, because your fucking posts are borderline spelling smack that tard dreams are made of.

To dumb it down further for you, if Reid wanted Banner gone-it would happen very quickly. If banner wanted Reid gone-nothing would be done. Reid would win any fucking power struggle to be had save for lurie. The End.

Now, lets talk about what this thread was really about:

So far, a couple of suitors have come out-namely the Dolphins, ravens, and griefs.

I dont really see any of those teams besides the fins being able to afford his fucking asking price at this juncture:
Pro football weekly wrote:The Eagles had multiple opportunities to trade Simon from under the tag, but Simon's agents, Eugene Parker and Roosevelt Barnes, wanted at least $16 million to sign and a contract averaging $6 million per year
:roll:

I'd do an 11 mill/4.9 per year for him over a duration of 4 years-TOPS. Fucking dude is asking too much-even for playing a "need" position right now in the NFL.

Lets hear it chef, ravens (You faggot Kutter), and fins *crickets* fans-would you shell out the jack for this guy?
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

mvscal wrote:
Banner, who has been overseeing the day-to-day operations of the franchise since May 6, 1994, ...
End of story, dumbfuck.
In May of 2001, Lurie and Banner fired Modrak and gave Reid a contract extension and dramatic pay raise along with complete control of football operations, an unprecedented level of responsibility for somebody just three years removed from working as a position coach.
:D

Enjoy your ride home.
Raydah James
Eternal Scobode

Post by Raydah James »

Thats great mvscal.....you're now talking to fucking hear yourself.

Let me help you out here you simple minded fuckwit-nobody gives a rats fucking ass about the eagles inside workings or "job titles".

We care and are now talking about Corey fucking Simon being released from his franchise tag and where he and the Eagles will go from here-you know, what this whole thread was started for and about.

You want to argue stupid fucking shit like job titles because it covers up your obvious lack of simple football knowledge, and that shit doesnt fly here you gaping vagina. I'll be having a blast soaking your thick fucking head with jizzshots over and over again this season....im sure you'll continue to argue the all important "concession prices" or "parking rates" while I do so.

Fucking idiot.

Step the fuck up and give a take on Simon, or step the fuck out and shut your dickwarmers up you sniveling fucking cunt. Simple, really.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Looks like pmscal is just getting a taste of how things roll in the football forum. I see the fake DI act doesn't work nearly as well when you don't have Detard and Company to provide an echo chamber for your rants.

Now should be the time you STFU and learn something about football before commenting further. But knowing you, you'll respond with more idiotic ranting, bluster and posturing.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

KC Paul 3.0 wrote:Mods, lock this mother fucker down NOW.
M0d your pwn forum.

That place is hell.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Mvscal must be a single man, 'cuz if he were married he'd get this by now.

God gave man authority to be the "head" in a marriage.
Yeah, he's got THE title.

Fact is, however, the woman is the neck.

The head don't do dick if the neck ain't movin'.

So be it.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I don't give a fuck about Corey Simon...wait, are the Chiefs going to try and sign him?

No matter...I've only read the 3rd page of this thread, and here's what I know.

R-James vs. mv = stock up on the popcorn.

Rack you fuckers.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

BSmack wrote:Looks like pmscal is just getting a taste of how things roll in the football forum.
Now now B, let's not be like that.......

Where would we be without posters like pmscal to beat down.......

I think we should put a petition together and give him a new title, seeing as how he's so hung up on them

suggestions?
RadioFan
Liberal Media Conspirator

Post by RadioFan »

[just an observation]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rack the FUCK out of this thread.

mvscal has probably cracked me up more than any other poster on these boards over the years, and it's rare, to say the least, to see him even approach the postion of turning his back, much less bending over, to say the least.

Nevertheless, RJ and jim have been cleaning his clock.

So who's "in charge" of the Eagles again? :lol:

[/just an observation]

Carry on ...

:lol:
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

mvscal wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:complete control of football operations, an unprecedented level of responsibility for somebody just three years removed from working as a position coach.

Enjoy your ride home.
No fucking shit, pinhead. I only posted that fact four hours ago.

Banner is Chief Operating Officer. Which means football operations, business operations and financial operations all report to him.

He is the fucking boss. That's why he is Team President and Andy Reid isn't.
It's amazing how many mental midgets in this thread claim they know everything about football, yet can't grasp the difference between a COO and a fucking coach.
Otis wrote: RACK Harper.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Hapday wrote:
mvscal wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:complete control of football operations, an unprecedented level of responsibility for somebody just three years removed from working as a position coach.

Enjoy your ride home.
No fucking shit, pinhead. I only posted that fact four hours ago.

Banner is Chief Operating Officer. Which means football operations, business operations and financial operations all report to him.

He is the fucking boss. That's why he is Team President and Andy Reid isn't.
It's amazing how many mental midgets in this thread claim they know everything about football, yet can't grasp the difference between a COO and a fucking coach.
Here we go again..

I'll take mvscal's approach and point out that on the patriots website Belichick is listed as coach and the VP of player personel is Scott Pioli.
Assuming the stupid title argument, Belichich- the coach- works under or at least concedes player decisions to Pioli right? Well we both know that's not the case. In fact Pioli works for Belichick.

The same goes for the Eagles. Banner has a nice little title that lets him control operations and his title would seem to indicate Andy Reid 'reports' to Banner. But much like the Patriots did with Belichick, Lurie and Banner turned over all control of the football team to Reid. Banner's ONLY role is to negotiate the contracts of the players Reid brings in so that they fit the cap. From that quote from Jeff Lurie I posted earlier, Reid also has an understanding of the cap which forces him to be smart with where he wants his star players and where he wants his role players... and the reason why you don't want your coach negotiating contracts is because of the obvious conflict he'd face as Coach. There are numerous articles written about coaches trying to wear 2 hats.. Holmgren failed at it miserably and he reliquinshed some control back to the Seahawks.

I need a drink.